Serious question. Is there something...wrong/damage/broken with Pathfinder players?

Serious question. Is there something...wrong/damage/broken with Pathfinder players?

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules/#Falling
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Everyone knows that playing 3.x based games causes brain damage.

Stockholm Syndrome. Also this:

Yes. 3.5/pathfags are fundamentally broken people too autistic to cope with changes, even ones for the better.

Sunk cost fallacy. Putting so much time, money and effort into one system to the rejection of all others basically means they can never move on or branch out, they just have to aggressively insist their favourite system is the best, while the devs cater to that most toxic element of their fanbase because they just keep buying every shitty new thing they publish.

I seriously believe it does. Even the groggiest grogs holding onto AD&D admit the game is flawed.

Being fair, most 3.PF fans are well aware of the flaws of the game. It's just a vocal minority who continue to insist that caster supremacy doesn't exist and other such blatant nonsense.

>tfw my first roleplaying game was 3.5

i played it for 10 years

Yes. It's gotten so bad that I really can't tell if the OP of this thread is an actual Pathfinder player, or just a Shitposter being retarded.

The key thing here is that it's your first, not your only. As well as it being 3.5, not PF.
It's like Spongebob. Yeah it's retarded, but it was somewhat clever at the start, and even now it's alright to feel nostalgic about it even if studies have shown that it drops your IQ.

>Invalidate my shelf and lose me as a customer.
Uh, what? There's nothing stopping you from playing an unsupported game. Hell, most people here (if they're playing a game right now) are probably playing an officially dead game. What stops these people from playing ttrpgs that aren't actively supported?

Yes.

I don't know what other answer you were expecting.

Doing that would kill one of the main arguments for Pathfag supremacy - "muh support".

user, are you suggesting Paizofags are NOT the center of the universe?

There's also the fact that Pathfinder's entire marketting push was towards people who felt that a game MUST be supported to be playable and that DnD's REAL problems was alternate casting systems and later classes pretty much outmoding earlier classes... So all the classes need new powers and abilities. Especially the poor core classes like wizard and druid who were outclassed by juggernauts like the psion and truenamer.

Or god forbid, the horrifyingly overpowering Warblade.

It has maneuvers that only work in combat AND can take Fighter feats at 2 higher level!

....this is the exact same shit that was happening with 3.5 to 4e.

The paizo forums are a den of retardation.

It's probably the same people too.

>a game whose entire audience is made of people who didn't want to move on to a new edition
>don't like the idea of a new edition

It checks out

I dunno user, most PF players I know got into it as their first system long after 3.5 died.

It's the same attitude people had back when 4e was announced. People were acting like WOTC was going to send squads of flamethrower-wielding cops to their houses to burn their old books and force them to buy the new ones.

Instead of making your daily shitpost about how much you hate Pathfinder, why not just play something in a system you do like and make a thread to tell us about it? You do play RPGs, don't you user?

>replying to a troll thread

Can you imagine wanting to play the same game... forever?

Not wanting to see beyond the border or to explore new systems from different publishers or even something new from a publisher you already like? Being so maddeningly trapped in your own head and group that you lose all sense of wanderlust?

I find it kind of amazing someone on the spectrum has 5 children.

See, this is why I'm glad my first game wasn't 3.5. Even though I grew up playing 3.5, my first foray into roleplalying games was actually BESM 2e.

BESM 2e is hot garbage as a game but starting with it taught me something important: D&D (specifically 3.5 D&D) is not the end-all-be-all of roleplaying games. There are other games, that play radically differently, that do things differently.

My group is like this. We were having an idle conversation about other systems when I was explicitly told that we will never play anything but Pathfinder, with Starfinder being an upcoming exception. How do I fix this?

Find a new group

this

I would, but they're fantastic and creative players, and the GM is the best I've ever played with. I don't want to just give up without trying. I'm still having fun, I'm just afraid of burnout.

I played 3.x-PF for years and I enjoyed it.
But that's the Paizo forum. Only people with a certain mindset remain.
I tried to stay for a period back then but it was insane, especially for the bias.
I mean, SKR is a meme for a reason.

The group is more important.
We played for a long time 3.x and then PF.
With the right people it never gets old.

Sadly the only thing broken is the rulebooks

Tell them you aren't going to read all that shit each time you make a new character.

Tell them all the easily found reasons the game is poorly balanced

Routinely ruin the experience by rules lawyering up bullshit characters with the bounds of said system.

Get super pedantic about wanting to know the dc for every check.

Continuously say "wait I wanna read that rule" and try to amateurishly find it.

Do the inverse of a bullshit character and roll up a 90 yr old human and take all the debuff you can.

Insist that since the game had rules for so many things they must have rules for (insert convoluted plan here)

Bring real world math into the mix and calculate a rough newtons to damage calculator and then kill things with bigbys hand and dropping stuff.

Make a ludicrously niche character and relentlessly pursue his goals (like wanting to be the best a knitting and then murdering every granny in the tri-state area)

Those will all either
A: make your friends switch system

OR

B: make them not your friends thereby fulfilling

Offer to GM something for the group.
Show them something better.

>you have to use all the rules at the same time

God, why are there people like that? I mean, it's not like you were attacking them or anything.
>Hey guys, fancy a pizza tonight?
>No, we just eat rye bread. We don't need any other kind of food

And then they die of scurvy. Which is what Pathfinder is: brain scurvy.

>The game is good if you houserule it beyond recognition

>This is bad for your gaming
>B-but what if some other thing is good enough that it doesn't matter

Why does this undermine the idea that trying new things is good and healthy?

Try 5e. I started with PF decided it was too much investment in books and time tried 4e didn't have time for that either. 5e came out right as I was about to quit rpgs and sticking with it has been fun and easy. One rule book covered all my needs and home brew is easy if that's your thing. If nothing else it's just the cost of 1 book.

As for how to do it? Print off character sheets and the important bits of the rules and then offer to run a one shot for them. Build a rough outline of the scenario "kill rats in sewer" or whatever and just improvise. 5e is great for letting the gm come up with shit since instead of your players being bound by rules and damage charts for falling bullshit or whatever micro managed crap, you can just make things up without fear of throwing things out of whack.

I've tried to gm pf and my players would know more than me and generally ruin pacing or the plan I'd laid out by pulling X out of the rule book and throwing it at me. (even though we were all new there's 4 of them and 1 of me, someone is bound to remember something i forgot)

5e's simplicity lends it strength in that regard. I don't need knowledge of massive tomes and tables so I'm free to improvise

Nice functional illiteracy.
You can have a system with many rules, included, say, underwater combat or sieges, but you don't houserule if the campaign goes there.
In the same way, is not an houserule start the campaign with few books to do not overwhelm the players, and add up what is needed.
"too much material" is a false problem. Unless you genuinely stupid and unable to get infos from text.

You consider unconceivable that people play over and over the same system.
I said that there are other priorities to make things enjoyable. If the group has fun with a system, there is no need to change for the sake of change.

Is it uncommon for autists to get into relationships? Asking for a friend

But Pathfinder is shit even in core.
Also,
>This game is great because customization and choices!
>Actually most of those suck
>Well then just use the ones that don't!

Not really, the majority on the spectrum creates offsprings just fine.
Of course the deeper in you go the rarer it becomes.

Also, giving out pre defined choices only create the illusion of customization.
First of all, as you said, most choices are simply so bad that the only justification to take them would be "for roleplay", but then you would have to live with the fact that Martin McMinmax over there created a character that makes sense to have the optimal choices.

Also having pre defined coices is always more narrow in customization as a system that let's you make your own without some archaic shit like "classes".

>You consider unconceivable that people play over and over the same system.
I don't think I do. I just think it's a very strange and unproductive mindset. I never even said they weren't having fun just that I don't understand the mindset that leads to it.

Again I don't see how your anecdote about how it can be fine undermines my original point that change is good. Being able to live with only chamber music would not undermine the idea of exploring other genres.

That's not true. Only for autists that have problem with the 3.x framework.
I cannot do anything for those people.
I have to endlessly read here people getting wrong spells and other shit. The system are issues but are exacerbated by this mentality.

I do agree that there is noise but any functional group is able to go through them.
This is even better when you have experience. We switched from an epic campaign to an gestalt based on commerce and exploration with 3.5. It was refreshing and felt different.

The only people that have problems are those that cannot manage to find a group of likely minded people and have to beg people that don't give a shit about RPGs and other stuff and need simple rules because are afraid the newcomers would be turn off.

I thought 4e was disliked because it turned out after it's release to play much more like a video game than a table top game.
As opposed to merely hearing of a new edition on the horizon and grabbing the pitch forks.

You are just arbitrarily deciding that change is good and must be tried.
People like X sometimes, and want a working version of it.
Your butthurt is irrelevant, no matter how many of these pathetic threads you start.

Have you looked at the core rule book and its huge mass of text? It's also poorly organised making it hard to find relevant rules sometimes. And how do you know if there's rules for a thing you don't know about? My group hand waved fall damage for months before stumbling across them.
>inb4
>just do research/ read it before hand

I don't want to study my fun. That takes the fun out of it. I want it to flow and not require me to learn a heaping pile of junk. I'm willing to learn rules not get a PhD in playing pretend.

>unconceivable

That's just part of the extended misinformation campaign. The idea that 4e is like a video game is blatant nonsense. For all the accusations, nobody can actually point to any mechanics, it's just that the system uses standardised formatting and doesn't obfuscate the mechanics from the players.

>unconceivable
my god I wrote unconceivable instead of inconceivable.. now suddenly you are not a bunch of butthurt retards!

You have even an online SRD. If you need months to find a relevant rule, you are just a dumb idiot.
d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules/#Falling

If someone only ever watched one TV show, or one series or movies, or only read one series of novels or only played one series of videogames, you'd rightfully be able to say they were missing out on what the genre can provide as a whole. This is no different from RPG's. If you only ever play one game, you have a very skewed, narrow perspective on what RPG's are able to be, and expanding your horizons is a good thing.

You guys really need simpler systems because you are stupid.
Is not a matter of preference.

That's not the same thing, sorry.
You need rules for conflict resolution. The setting, aim, characters played are different for each campaign. Apples to Organges, mr. Butthurt.
BTW I played some other stuff in the past. All DnD barring 4th, Vampires, the new Vampires, independent RPG.
Just this one worked because we liked flashy shit and x4 crits.

Pathfinder is pretty much flawless. Caster supremacy is a meme.

That's not true, either.
Just overrated.

But it's exactly the same thing. System matters and can substantially influence how a game plays, and there are types of experience vastly more suited to some systems than to others. If you only ever stick to one, you'll never experience that.

Hello mister vocal minority, do you have any more bullshit to share?

Find out what they dislike about Pathfinder and use that as a wedge to suggest other systems. I got my group to jump over to 5e because they got tired of PF's shitload of trap options.

If that won't work, then the only other option is to suggest some campaign/story that can't really be done well with Pathfinder. Like a campaign that takes place in the modern day world or something.

No, I have no investment in this conversation, I just browse from thread to thread making minor shitposts like that. Which side were you on, anti-2ed?

I said I try. I had fun with 3.x since it went out.
But that's badwrongfun.
This is how much sad you sound.
Now please, said something even more pathetic.
Something meme-tier, like suggest Dogs in the Vineyard.

I love 2ed. I played that, too.

I'm just confused by what you're trying to say at this point. Is english not your native language?

Can wizards wear armor or use a longsword?

I'd go with a mad max type post-apoc game. Needs good vehicles rules, survival and resource management, no fantastical magic, and classes are hard to define so having none is best.

Well that's a total non-sequitur.

It proves caster supremacy doesn't exist. Different classes do different things. How is that hard to understand?

...Wow. Do you actually believe that?

I have never started such a thread.

>You are just arbitrarily deciding that change is good and must be tried.
I'm not really certain you understand the logical endpoint of your argument. Trying new things is what brought you to this hobby you try new characters all the time I hope; you explore genres of music, film and books and through that wonderful act of adventure and discovery you find new joy. The idea of just stopping and just consuming the same thing just for the sake of I don't know opportunity cost? Fear? That's so alien to me.

You're allowed to be happy and settle and I'm glad you're having fun but couldn't you be having more fun?

stop getting baited retard

apparently you don't understand. Wizards can't wear armor.

says who?

says arcane spell failure chance and the fact that they dont get proficiency in it.

3.5 is better than pathfinder
3.5 rules are shit but all the cool content makes it worth it, shit or not in terms of effectiveness
Whereas there is nothing good about pathfinder except Toughness rework and perception / stealth skills.

Is this the true power of samefagging?

Those are actually rules which prove that wizards can, in fact, wear armor.

you mtell me, faggot bitch

but they're not good at it

>Same retarded typing style not using caps
>All just over a minute of each other

Nice edit.

>not blocking ads
l m a o

yeah i photoshopped a fucking screenshot are you a retard?

>it's 2018
>people still only play 3.pf and refuse to try anything else
>other people still try to engage them
Will it ever end, or is this some strange form of purgatory
It's been TEN YEARS. 4e is TEN YEARS OLD.
WILL THIS EVER STOP.

Are you? Did you not know you could do that? Did you not know that people can lie on the internet? Of course you knew. You edited it.

Feats make them competent and just picking spells without somatic components circumvent the arcane spell failure. There are also a plethora of options which alleviate these penalties such as metamagic and class features.

do you want me to post it again or something? wtf I did not edit it.

getting rid of yous is trivial even without image editing

Tell your group or DM to stop being manchildren

so you spend three feats and limit what spells you use to do something a fighter can do at level 1. like I said, different classes do different things.

Wearing armor is equal to flying, turning invisible, transforming into a dragon, or summoning a horde of angels to do your bidding.

You are just being pathetic now.
People answered correctly to all my posts so far, you included.
Stop being a butthurt faggot.

The biggest mistake they ever made was making every class level up to 20 and then barely changing the classes.
That and a host of other problems,
ad&d is flawed and confusing but is at least equally unfair to everyone

You are dishonest. You posted "why you don't try" because of the usual badwrongfun argument.
Who likes X is because does not know other things exist.
I tried other things, I am ok with what I have.

>it's 2018
>people are still happy with 3.pf and do not need to try anything else
>4e is TEN YEARS OLD
>and you are still butthurt

My dad wont play anything else but he's a D&D oldfag who started before 1e. He didnt seem interested in 4e or 5e, and he has all the 3.5 books so he doesn't see any reason to switch. He sees no issue with caster supremacy even though I've never seen him play a spellcaster. He figures everyone is on the same side so he doesn't care who is most powerful. He is totally happy with stuff like deadly defense and combat expertise. I've tried to redpill him on 3.5 but he doesn't care and he loves the game. But he doesn't like pathfinder either, even the merging of hide / move silently / listen / spot skills.

I've considered showing him Veeky Forums to redpill him on 3.5 but I don't think I should.