What's the least post-apocalyptic theme you could have for a game/story set in a post-apocalyptic setting?

What's the least post-apocalyptic theme you could have for a game/story set in a post-apocalyptic setting?

We're shooting for maximum dissonance, here.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky
twitter.com/AnonBabble

inb4 CATastrophy: yeah I guess, but I was hoping for some originality. Do better.

You are off to stop the big bad from ruining the world.
Yeah, it's post apocalypse but damn it if the Dark Lord doesn't want to knock it even further down

Hey, sorry but isn't that every Fallout game ever?

No, those BBEGs want to remake the world in a way benifical to them. This BBEG just wants to finish the job rig t

you run a blownout diner where you cook for hungry scavengers

With sidequests to find good ingredients!

You live in work in the international space station after the apocalypse. Years after the end the population has exploded and the station expanded. Quests could be stopping a security team junta, going down in a reusable rocket to find supplies/make land contacts, or something something aliens.

Bastion?

Fallout 1 had a guy who just wanted to share the love and stopped if you told him there's no love to share.

Being a mailman cowboy.

Pirates?

Is that Warsaw?

While that was objectively the best one of the games, I asked you to be original.

You have a good idea OP so I thought I'd give you a hand raking through the suggestions.

Meh, very generic
YES DO THIS
Better - can be played serious, funny, dark undertones or anything really; it has potential.
Random ≠ Funny
That would be fun but not serious

Why not serious? And why does it matter anyway?

What game are you talking about?

Fallout: New Vegas

Being a mascot.

Nothing wrong with a game that isn't serious but I have never found a DM who can pull off gritty pirates - especially not in a post-apoc setting.

>First contact
Aliens are all 'sweet, new planet' and start terraforming, and humans are all underground, but come up and are like 'DUDE, WTF?' and aliens are similarly 'WTF'

>Double apocalypse: The Rapture
Most people are already dead so it kinda takes awhile to notice OR God/angels are pissed that everyone already died/ infected

Non-ironic, non-subversive, completely generic magical girl power of friendship. One day you're doing your usual job of cleaning out the nest of rabid frothing cannibals with a flamethrower, but then suddenly you stumble across an ADORABLE strange tiny creature that begins to speak to you...

Probably your pic related, or something involving civilization rebuilding from the ashes of the old world. Probably something like Fallout 2 with out the big bad guy.

It's almost like you haven't read one of the most iconic pieces of post apocalyptic fiction.

A Canticle for Leibowitz?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphans_of_the_Sky

You're not on Earth. Your're on one of its many colonies, just one that had a little whoopsie that knocked the shit out of your civilization. But there's ample evidence that Earth and many of the other colonies are perfectly fine. Better, even.

Too bad FTL isn't a thing and it's gonna take centuries for anyone to get here and save the day. If they get here in time.

I was not thinking of that game when I posted that.

The Mailman.

Your ancestors were convicts sent to a planet that was dominated by prison installations the size of small cities. The "apocalypse" was a solar flare which knocked out these prison's advanced security measures, turning the planet into a free for all filled with the worst criminals, toughest guards and nastiest looking aliens this side of Alpha Centauri. Now a couple of generations after the event the descendants of the galaxy's most social maladjusted scumbags are struggling to create some kind of civilisation or even better, leave this rock for good.

Is that fucking Warsaw?

man you're pleb

It's a digital painting.

postman

Delivery Boy.

Super far after the apocalypse, your players are basically medieval cavemen in a world of rust and glass. No one knows how to make fire, but there are gas pipelines that leak fuel. Divergent evolution has led to offshoot races living in different strata of the megastructures that make up the planet.

Players are tasked with starting a night club.

The Errand Lad.

Why didn't you invest in Eastern Poland?

I already got night club!
How else get wife to sleep? Bonk!

The world has been claimed by monsters and ghosts, and a tribal god-king rules in the nuclear bunkers below the pentagon.

His daughter is getting married, and the players need to venture outside and collect ingredients for a wedding cake.

Because I am Eastern Poland

You live in the advanced technological society that covers an about the size of Germany with the population of Switzerland; good chunks of the planet are still somewhat unsettled and contaminated with raiders and so on but technological progression is back on track and civilisation is expanding again.

Pic related is one of the best post apoc stories in media

Literally waterworld

It was the subject of a relatively recent book, the name of such I can't remember, but:

>The PCs are members of a traveling theater troupe that roams the post-apocalyptic countyside telling old tales and performing for food and lodging. When no one wants their artistic talents, they offer other kinds of assistance to the communities they pass through.

Yeah, it's the Palace of Culture in Warsaw.

Seven Riders by Jean Respail.

Instead of a literal post apocalypse iti s about a collapsed society that has given up all its values and is descending into ignorance.

Post-scarcity society gone wrong - it turns out that daily grind and struggle were essential for maintaining global order. Social order was toppled from the bottom by bunch of fat and bored NEETs. World now is a wild garden littered with pristine cities held by replicator A.I. run amok. Only people that survived NEETpocalipse were various outcasts, amishes and prepper-loon communes.

Space Australia?

Best ideas of the thread.

Working a 9-5 office job related to technology and/or customer service.

You are retarded.

Pretty generic fantasy, except most of the ruins throughout the setting are the ruins of modern day society that somehow fell apart, think sort of like TES, but instead of dwemer/ayleids it's modern day humans (or another races).

Players are placed in charge of running the postal service, both internally to make sure things run smoothly and to trouble shoot every so often when it goes to the frontiers.

Waterworld.

I would like setting where 9 out of 10 people just randomly dissappeared while maintaining the same proportional demographics.

Like 9 out of 10 doctors die, 9 out of 10 pharmacists die, etc. The point is too have a civilization that has allkthe skills but is severely undermanned.

The remaining workers at the nuclear plant will stop a meltdown but will be hardpressed to keep the plant running for long.

Random widows adopt random orphans as almost everyone is now an orphan or a widow.

No stress on ressources. A lot more space for everyone.

Though population might rise again in time, it would be interesting to see how people would deal with that event.

Most of Gargantia, really.

Doesn't Star Trek arguably fit that? We have an apocalyptic event, things are shit for awhile, but we gradually rebuild ourselves and explore the stars

No because fallout is not post apocalypse, its post nuclear. And the big bads don't want to fuck it up, they want to finish rebuilding but in their own specific way.

World ran out of of bananas. That's the apocalypse.

Except for that rest is pretty much the same.

And then the Night Lords show up.

I really like this one.
How do you think people would work out where to gather?

The 10% will migrate to the nicest parts of their countries and proceed to live as normal, abandoning the rest.

Dubai is in the desert my man

I don't know, came here for post apo Warsaw
Something like Dick's "Doctor Bloodmoney" comes to my mind

You play an excited field researcher who now gets to discover and document all the newly mutated animals, most of which as nonviolent as they have on average developed photosynthesis from the radioactive mutations.