Why do people hate kobolds as player races...

Why do people hate kobolds as player races? Is it because it's not the banal Tolkienesque tripe that are the base races of D&D? Or is it because they're a bunch of counterculture faggots that think anything monster/beast race is automatically furry?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andvari
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberich
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Shit stats

Because the people who play kobolds play it for weird kink reasons or pay it for cunt reasons. Said reasons will leak into the game.

Some people are jerks.

Most people who play kobolds are insufferable furfaggots, so in that regard yes

They literally can deep throat dragon cock. And are inclined to do so.

Personally I love em. They have a very alien mindset that that is kinda fun to play out.
They can be run as either vicious cunning masterminds, to bumbling minions, to oddly adorable underdogs.

Literally because of your pic

I dont hate them, I just hate that everyone forgot they were supposed to be some kind of dog/lizard/rat hybrid, an original animal almost, nowadays it seems most people are content with depicting them as tiny dragonborns like in your pic which is bland af, then there are those who either go full rat (Warcraft) or full dog (JRPGs), then theres a huge grab bag of near misses like Planescape which made them kinda lizard like but basically just ratfolk, 3e made then rat-like in build but still fully reptilian and finally 5e which finally gave them their dog-like noses back but made them more dragon-like at the same time and missed the ears, its a huge fucking mess.

It's because none of you D&D fags know what a kobold is and automatically play them as furries/scalies. If you want a breed of shapeshifting, near-trickster goblins, then play one. If you want to play a fucking humanoid animal, then you're a fag.

Furfag yif-shits who are unable to keep it in their pants are the reason why we don’t have kobolds over gnomes. Who the fuck even plays gnomes?!

Gnomes have really nothing unique about them.

Because everyone who wants to play one is a lolsorandumb fag

D&D's kobolds are the most popularvvdepiction of kobolds user

Before D&D, nobody gave a shit about them

Gnomes are to Halflings as Elves are to Humans.

>Posts scalie art
>Dude, kobolds aren't automatically furry/scalie!
Yiff in hell.

2007 called they want their dead meme back

So what do they have in DnD?

There's better than a coin flip's chance that someone who plays a kobold has jerked off to their character portrait.

turning invisible when you hit them

Dead horse man dead horse.

Natural selection applies to memes even more strongly than it does to genes. When a meme survives long enough, it becomes culture, and then tradition. An old meme is that which confers fitness to those who spread it.

>I think D&D has the monopoly because I only know D&D

In the most recent edition? A choice between being tinkers and being dickass illusionists, mostly.

I recall reading one of the Unearthed Arcana books that there was a feat option to allow them to use Speak With Animals at will, but I don't think it made it into the Xanathar books. It'd be really hard to sneak up on a little guy that can sing with all the voices of the mountain and paint illusions with all the colors of the wind.

And yet Veeky Forums is the only place that still cares.

Cry some more.

>wahhhh people on Veeky Forums don't love me and the fact I like to rape animals

That meme is dead though. People can still hate furries, and they aren't paticularly popular or well liked, but they're no longer the threat they were ten years ago.

We have bigger fish to fry now with /pol/ and /v/, and modern furries are much less obnoxious than the ones from the 2000s

I'm not a furry tardface

Original kobolds are boring shit, they are literally just another word for dwarf, your contrarianism is showing

The salt that you tase it is shame.

>I'm not a furry
>but furries totally aren't even a problem now lol, and if you disagree you belong in the past grandpa
sure

>Furfag detected
kill yourself

Kobolds are german spirits that live in caves mines and boats. tell me I'm wrong I dare you.

We all know you are a closet furfag, no use in hiding it

No, you are right
but it does not make them different from Dwarves or Gnomes

Deflection won't work, furshit.

>if you don't like us you're secretly one of us
wow, you really got me. Any more profound pearls of furfag "wisdom"?

So literally dwarves then, just face it, you can hate D&D animal kobolds but its true that literally no one would give a shit about the word if it wasnt for them, they might be bad, but they are still more interesting than brownie-like sprite #3446.

How is the original meaning of Kobolds make them the same as Dwarves or Gnomes? The 2 other aren't shapeshifters.

Because, while they would be a perfectly good choice, most people use them as a meme race, for lolrandom games or, more rarely, fetish games. This creates a bad association and elicitis negative reactions online.

>The 2 other aren't shapeshifters

Yes they are, all these creatures are the same shit

In what Myth has Dwarves or Gnomes as shapeshifters?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andvari
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberich

It's an intentionally unappealing evil race of servile uninspired cowards with badly hamstrung stats. The design is not one that lends itself to being used as a playable race, especially not one that works cohesively with a group of other players..... unless the entire group is playing as kobolds too and even then the whole group will suffer from the race's unadventurous ways.
Unless of course the players choose to play the kobolds in such a way that they are extremely distant from what a kobold really is or should really act like. And that kind of serves as your first red flag that they're probably wanting to play as a kobold for a very odd or inappropriate reason.

Even if you want to take the position that a kobold adventurer is as distant from a standard kobold as a human adventurer is from a commoner....... the fucking stats. It's an intentionally shitty species designed to give players lots and lots of things to guiltlessly kill and handwave away why dungeons are so dangerous and hazard-laden.

So keep kobold fags our of a good game then?

Because their literally autistic and either their cunts, idiots, or bitch Bois.

They steal the limelight of goblins who should do as they do and more, because they're fucking goblins. Kobolds are better off as a breed or line of goblins, rather than some scaly bullshit. Dragons don't need a dedicated slave race. Any race that's not a dragon is considered a slave to dragons.

i actually like the 'i had a life, but my job ate it' one. that's good.

That was one Dwarf with that power, shapeshifting as a racial ability is different.

And Gnomes were first known as Earth spirits in Renaissance alchemy. Games like DnD use words and ideas without doing research or replacing old outdated information with new accurate information.

Lot of folks who play them think of them not as monsters, but happy go lucky adventurers from the bad side of town.

Scaled gnomes, basically.

They are, ultimately, monsters. They may have communal warrens where they work together to fight the bigguns, but they consume sapient flesh, may launch raids and willingly serve evil dragons. Their traps slay many, their raids on gnomes and isolated settlements can cause much harm.

If you want to play a race, take the bad with the good. Or establish a squeaky clean history in your own canon because the established settings treat them almost universally like vermin.

This is coming from someone who enjoys playing kobolds, by the by. There has to be reasonable justification for them to even join an adventuring party, they bring numerous issues in civilized locales and so far most folks Ive seen want to play doctor who-bold.

Worlds Largest Dungeon(tm) we ate our way through the bottom denizens before recruiting another tribe of 'bolds to work for us. We proceeded to sneak, slaughter, and dominate through clever teamwork, tactics and lateral thinking.

It was a blast, but we were never anything other than rotten little bastards whose only loyalty was, ultimately, to each other. We were the tribe. The tribe must survive.

The take away? 1. Give proper justification for the character working with the party. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far. 2. Play to the strengths of the archetype. 3. Your argument would go further if you didnt piss on tolkiens work. His work inspired the original authors of dnd, after all. Just makes you sound salty as fuck.

>"racial ability"
>applying game logic to actual mythology

just no, apply yourself, dwarves were not a "race", they were a nebulous group of inhuman magical creatures just like elves

And Gnomes were first known as Earth spirits in Renaissance alchemy.

guess what creature Paracelsus was describing?, thats right, the fucking dwarf

I've played as a kobold twice and both times were pretty alright. They can make for some new social interactions and dynamics, plus they can make for a few humorous moments, especially when an enemy initially believes you to be such a non-threat that they outright ignore you for their first round of an encounter. But I do agree with most folks in this thread that they can easily attract the dregs and problem players

I don't see the point of arguing for real-world definitions of creatures within the confines of a game - or several games, because I don't remember a single fantasy game that uses kobolds as mine spirits.
Real-world folklore is never as clear-cut and schematic as a game's monster book. That's because the nature of folklore itself and it's transmission make it impossible to get such a taxonomic precision. Only game nerds care so much about muh monster stats, and only contrarians insist to apply rigid classifications to real-world cultures.

You can thank it to Kobold fetishits than have tainted they image of cool underdog tricky monsters to fetish fuel and cringe.

Generally any race that you have to argue "it's not furry! Just let me play it!" is something that attracts undesirables. The fact that you started this thread already acting on these defensive before anyone even made a reply shows that you're one of those undesirables.
Personally I'd probably let someone play a kobold if they asked, it's a yellow flag at worst compared to other races, but I don't think I'd want to play with someone who got pissy over not being able to play a kobold.

It's probably because kobolds as PCs are just scaly kender and the only people who like them are counterculture faggots with a scaly fetish

You say that but holy hell do spidergirls do things to me man, so maybe they're on to something.

An Elemental spirit is going to live in its element user. A true Gnome would be akin to spirit you summon for a spell. Dwarfs are mostly known for digging, metalworking and being underground. There not know for shapeshifting.

A Kolbolds don't just spend their time underground they also live with humans sometimes either helping or attacking them. If you calmed down and stopped being so defensive maybe your blood-pressure would drop.

Than you have fapped too much than your sexual part of the brain is nearly mush and need even more extreme deviancy to function doesn't apply to everyone else, not even in Veeky Forums.

True but Games such as DnD would be better if better if people who wrote the had better imaginations or looked at real-life folklore to boost their imaginations.

> doesn't know what a kobold is
> thinks it's a dwarf

Your ignorance is showing.

They are LITERALLY JUST MANLET DRAGONS
THEY HAVE NOTHING GOING FOR THEM
N O T H I N G

>be playing kobold oracle in PF campaign
>rest of party is two half-elves and a tiefling
>kobold is, understandably, not attracted to mammals
>no problem whatsoever

Lizardmen are objectively better because unlike kobolds they can be savage monsters instead of "LIZER BUT SHORT AND QUIRKY ! 1! 1! 111!"

>deflect failed

There is 3 people who play kobolds, they can overlap
1. Epic memecucks
Subhuman scum, they deserve to be castrated and their spawn removed from this world as to avoid their low IQ genes from spreading
2. Furfags
See above, plus they're also sexual deviants.
3. Gay furfags
Best group because they've already remove themselves from any kind of possible gene pool.

tl;dr: Played by memelords and people who do it to jerk it hard.

The fact that they have to argue is more a point against shitty paranoid GMs than the race itself

That's not how tears OR fur works.

Why would you ever play kobold?
just go lizard or halfdragon

DnD is meant to be humancentric, and elves, dwarves, etc should have always been the limit as far as how far from humanity you are allowed to go.

God forbid people's perception of monsters change over time.

Maybe not in your setting, but we shouldn't be held accountable for the fact that your setting sucks. Gnomes in D&D have had a distinct existence from dwarves since at least Dragonlance.

Yeah and originally this was the avarage dragon
But you don't see people complain about this do you

>Who the fuck even plays gnomes?!
Gnome players
:^)

I like how you can really obviously tell a furry's rendition of a kobold from the real thing because they obviously look unlike any of the proper designs.

Pic related. It's a kobold

HIM, that guy.
Him,... kyle.
Him come ti taebl with a caracter sheeit
Me ask him: kyle...what is this
Thatguy: my toon user
Me: kyle, this is
Kyle: a kobolb.
Me:..... kyle, whym did you stat, as a wapon, a two hand penis?
Kyle then proceed to thro a temper tantum and call me an ass and say i was just dimscriminating him becaos of his sexule belefs

Why is this allowed?

Me no speak this unga bunga

That's because nobody wants to play an ugly gangling xpbag
People want to play PCs

On Veeky Forums you do, there's always one autist that would reeeee because 2 legs = wyvern.

Should a GM just allow anything into their games? I think turning someone out at the door is better than letting in a player who will disrupt and ruin a campaign. You can kick the player in the latter situation but they still put a damper on things.

>literally no one would give a shit about the word if it wasnt for them

Stop sucking off D&D. Not everyone is as ignorant and relying on Gygax as you.

i was amused.

>If I can't bring myself to fucking it I won't play it
The absolute state of cutebold PCs

m8 I ain't going to judge

I played one once but it wasn't by choice.
He was randomly generated.
I was a fighter with dreams of being as strong as a dragon one day.
Had a small man complex.
So I was always taking jobs that would push me to my limits but that I could handle.
Ended game with my final showdown.
Me vs a Green dragon.
I lost out on the rolls even though my gear was good. Fell in battle. Team cleaned up the dragon and gave my character proper send off.

As for the thread, I don't hate them or any like so long as you are a character and not your fetish.

Pic not related. Just a spider.

>kobolds are a beast race
fucking anglos

Back to the vat where you belong, Hans

Your average furry and about half the people in this thread apparently don't actually know or care about kobold lore. So when they role-play they don't role-play a kobold, they just role-play their fursona.

>I'll twist any potential argument into making you seem as the bad guy
>g-guys why is anyone too busy to play with me?
>w-why do they call me "that guy"?
>haven't I proven myself to be an alpha player enough? ;_;

95% or more of monster lore in your average RPG monster manual take heavy liberties when it comes to their real-world mythological roots. You’re not smart or enlightened for knowing that Kobolds aren’t like what they were originally imagined as, you’re only following one of dozens of grognards who regurgitate “UMM AHKSHULLY...” every single thread they come up in. Further proven by how you continue to assume this is a “furry” thing and not just the naturally evaluation of how a creature has been depicted in media for literal decades at this point.

But, hey. I’m sure all your games use 100% original folklore from when the first humans told stories. In which case, enjoy having 400 varieties of faeries, goblins, and gnomes I guess. I’ll keep using scalybolds and dogbolds.

Wrong. There is a strong fanbase that plays kobolds not for sexual reasons, but because they're lolrandom comic reliefs. They're basically evil kender.

Least they can be called out on their bullshit rather then the Kenders "oh so innocent ONLY BAD PEOPLES HATE US for stealing everything adorable!" stupid lore.

>not playing a dwarf and having an IC reason to genocide them whenever they turn up

Because they're not lore-friendly, often they are either dog people or quirky midget dragon people rather than what they should be.

Gnomes are worse kobolds

Because every player I have ever seen play a kobold played them with some put upon underdog faggotry that was an obvious stand in for how the player felt the world was against them irl, and I made special pains to shit on them for it just like I shat on the scalie and the cheaters.

Really they are..

I have to question some people saying lore friendly, given that half the time I see so many elves, dwarfs and other such things (Specially Drow!) ignoring their lore to add them in to parties and doing many things their kind would not do. What would one do about them?

They seem to swing towards either all dog or all lizard. Then some confused soul will make them into ratfolk and throw everyone for a loop when they call them kobolds. Then when you go into actual myth for the origin of the name they're just ugly gnome fairy folk who live in mines.