Why are text players on average less retarded than voice players?

Why are text players on average less retarded than voice players?

But they're not? Text players are most often narcissists, who keep jacking off on how many pages they can waste describing how their character's hair moves in the breeze.

So I was just lucky?

Because text only players are, on average, more autistic and socially stunted.

Because you have to type out the stupid shit you were going to say, giving you a chance to realize how pants-on-head moronic it is. Then you edit it into a semblance of intelligence before you hit 'send'.

Voice players, by contrast, have a livestream of idiocy coming out of their mouths.

Look, we all know the Real winner here: being more fortunate than anyone who has any stake in this argument and being non-autistic enough that you have friends and a schedule that allows you to play in person.

But user, if you don't pick a side, that makes you an autistic fence-sitter, and that's worse than being on either of the two sides!
Apparently.

Amen.

Pity the poor bastards who have to go on roll20 to get their game kicks.

I think it's purely a matter of perception.

Assuming two players of equal quality in other respects, what you write in text will always sound smarter than what you can say, because you actually have time to consider, edit and properly format text, while voice is more off the cuff and you can't go back and fix something if it doesn't work.

Both mediums have their strengths and most players online will find one or the other that suits them better. Personally, I massively prefer text. While it's slower I prefer the depth of storytelling, roleplaying and description that's possible, and having logs of everything is fucking amazing.

As someone who has an IRL group, I honestly prefer online text based games. IRL is nice for throwing some dice and chilling with my friends, but for actual roleplaying and storytelling online has always blown it out of the water, in my experience.

If you didn't play with at least a few hundred RL people, you shouldn't think that your personal experience is automatically the norm.

Text IC, voice for OOC is the best, more people should do it. It speeds things up when you're discussing rules questions and meta bullshit in voice, and keeps a record of what happened and who said what in text.

I might not have personally played with hundreds, but I've played with enough and seen enough other people playing that I honestly believe, for my preference and playstyle, online text based is inherently superior.

I agree, when it's possible it works really well

i thought that the real winner was the guy thinking people posting in the workweek midday on Veeky Forums are unemployed despite being it really obvious that you are on the internet at work since you have to be a networking genius to not have a roll20 game that is lame. but that's just my shitty NEET opinion believing the midday roll20 posters are functional people.

It's not a matter of genius, it's a matter of time, effort and persistence.

I play a lot of great online games these days, and I got there by joining a lot of shitty ones, making contact with other players I got on with and who shared my playstyle, introducing them to one another and slowly building a circle of people I can rely on to be good, consistent players and GM's. It took me years, but it was entirely worth it.

its was more intended as a /s emphasis of a previous post about roll20 Veeky Forums posters to paraphrase "midday posts about TT on Veeky Forums are for unemployyyyyeeed" when i am sure there is at least one legit employed autist on Veeky Forums that has their entire car shell comprised of authentic WH40K models.

140 character limit per post. Simple.

Alternatively, just play with people who aren't shit.

But user, instead of making it sound indecisive, instead just say that you hate both sides equally so that you feel superior to both.
People think you're especially clever if you do this with politics and say you're a centrist.

>the twitter model of communication works.

>inherently
You don't even know what that word means, so don't mind when I discard your opinion, because in this end that's still what it is.

Sad!

...Yes I do? I'm expressing my belief that the inherent properties of the online medium make it superior to IRL for me, personally.

I described a few of the things I found advantageous, and those are inherent properties of the online medium. They are an essential aspect of it that cannot be meaningfully divorced from it. An online chat will have text logs. Typing text will give you more time to consider and edit what you are writing, as opposed to voice which is more improvised and impossible to go back and edit with the same fluidity. Even the fact that it is slower paced is an inherent part of the online medium. I'm not sure what about my word use you consider incorrect.

No. I need to be able to focus when I write, and hearing some clown yapping is a guaranteed way to break it. Plus, it's better to keep rules discussions written down.

Pure text, for both OOC and IC, is the best.

>combat in a text only game

Roleplay is fine but holy shit, I don't know how anyone can do text only combat. Even lethal systems that forever to resolve anything.

Combination voice/text is the GOAT.

If you get used to it it's not that slow, and it also depends a lot on the system.

>depends a lot on the system.

Definitely. Something like 3.PF or god forbid, Shadowrun, will take forever and a day to finish a combat round, while something like Apocalypse World has a whole bunch of stuff get determined by one roll, which keeps things moving in combat roughly as fast as out of combat.

"Inherent properties" is kind of redundant unless you're talking about something that can be assigned properties, like in an object-oriented language or some shit.

I think you mean "makes it inherently superior to X" instead.

I've honestly played Shadowrun before and it's not been too bad. Then again, our shadowrun combats almost never extended beyond a single set of initiative passes.

I mean, yes? That was included in the context of the original post. The properties inherent to the online medium are why I consider it superior for my playstyle and preferences, hence calling it inherently superior for my playstyle and preferences.

I've tried playing with mates IRL a few times, and it was a horrible experience.
If I ever do it again I'm purging my playerbase first.

Meanwhile, my R20 group is amazing, bar onr person who is nice, but an absolute idiot.

I find voice is far better for discussing rules/combat or just shooting the shit, however text helps me get over the inherent awkwardness of IC stuff and the fact I'm shit at voices as a GM.

fucking THIS.

I have been a text-only for years, my players keep trying to coax me into speaking but the closest I got was having the microphone open so they could hear me type. They laughed about it, but they don't give a shit as long as I run the game, but on more than one occasion they've commented that creepy stalkers or rogues or invisible people might be the DM making sure combat goes smoothly, or other meme jokes like that.

whats fucked up is that when I don't have the mic open I do the voices aloud.
Why the fuck cant I handle the pressure?

>Why the fuck cant I handle the pressure?
Because you're a bitch and the only way to get over your social anxiety is to just keep trying?