Okay I read a Conan comic or two at the library and he was NOTHING like I've been led to believe...

Okay I read a Conan comic or two at the library and he was NOTHING like I've been led to believe. Far more decent and pragmatic. What was Conan supposed to be like tg?

So you're saying that Veeky Forums memes are not an accurate portrayal of real life?

What poppycock! Next you'll probably try to tell us that the writings of Tolkien aren't full of lusty big-titted elven women bemoaning what fruity pansies their men are while they pine for Humandick Fuck Yeah!

I don't think he's even really a barbarian. He doesn't rage.

>What was Conan supposed to be like tg?
Rakish and picaresque. He was written by a Texan. He's a sword and sandal cowboy.

Rogue, wanderer, occasional savage skirmisher, womanizer, clever and ambitious enough that he rose to become king.

>clever and ambitious enough that he rose to become king.

Conan didn't set out to become a king, though. He became a mercenary, then a solider, then become a royal guard.
During his stint as royal guard, he realized the king was mad and dangerous, and nobody would do anything about it. So he did what you do in Cimmeria, and walked over and stabbed the crazy bastard to death before he hurt anybody else.
Then Conan was basically shoved onto the throne as a stopgap measure against a civil war -- all the different factions wanted their guy to have it, but they were willing to settle for "not their guy" and everyone figured Conan would be dumb and easy to push around, or at least they could get rid of him later.
Didn't work, though, Conan used to be a thief and knew all the tricks. He ate assassins for breakfast and nobody could buy him because he didn't really want much of anything.
The whole time, though, he really hated the job of being king, and being responsible for all those people. He kept looking for a way out that wouldn't result in a whole lot of deaths, and wishing he was back ot being a highwayman or something, where he could live free like he used to.

tl;dr -- To Conan, "king" was just another job he did, like pirate or thief or sword for hire.

Black melanated man, hypothesionally.

Cretinous trip-fag, obviously.

1. he's not a tripfag
2. always ignore shitposting trolls

What a reddit post

>What was Conan supposed to be like tg?

Read REH's short stories and get your answers straight from the source, you lazy faggot.

>when you basically stopped browsing the larger internet in 2004 and just hung out on Veeky Forums exclusively for the last 13+ years and every year more and more posters tell you that you're from reddit

>You either die heroically in battle...or you live long enough to be called a newfag.

As others have said, warrior and thief. Big on the Thief, as often a mercenary as anything else.

So your typical story for Conan was that at the end of the previous story he was rich, fist full of gems and a busty woman on his side riding to the city to celebrate.

At the beginning of the new story he was broke having been swindled while drunk (stolen by the woman, lost gambling, etc) and was now a mercenary or pirate or thief or etc.

Repeat.

It was this model that D&D was actually set on. Although the players were expected to be a bit more frugal with their wealth I guess. But easy come easy go was at the beginning of a lot of modules.

I'm not sure how tg has described Conan that you thought different.

How do we know (You) aren't shitposting, user?

It's laughable seeing people try to apply concrete stats to a character whose abilities are only convenient for the plot.
This image is proof of why Stat-Me threads are pointless garbage.

Also, that TG has lost its imagination.

Actually it's not tg memes I'm getting it from, and I was as stunned about the elf woman situation as you. Who knew women from an immortal species of beautiful people wouldn't long for the hairy embrace of a bunch of comparative toddler mayflies.

He definitely has the physical skills for it though, Athletics expertise at least, and does a lot of sneak attack damage considering that he cut his way out of a snake demonesses's stomach. Some sort of uber rogue maybe? Or a ranger I suppose.

That fits.

I've often wondered about that, thanks for expanding on it.

That's deep. What's 4channer heaven?

Last I read he was some kind of fighter/rogue multiclass, forget the edition, but yeah he's never been a Barbarian that rages.

Barbarian = Berserker in D&D terms. Barbarian just means foreigner.

Barbarians raging was the result of WotC mushing the Barbarian/Barb. Warrior class and the Berserker kit together.

From the official Conan AD&D modules, he's F13/T7.

>That's deep. What's 4channer heaven?
No longer being on Veeky Forums.

I know that feel

From the get go, the Fighting Man class was meant to be Conan. Thieves getting made for the Greyhawk supplement is what fucked things up.

The AD&D barbarian's special powers were one-to-one off the (also by Gygax) special powers he listed for Conan when statting him for a Dragon Magazne article.
And 3.5 is the soy turkey of D&D editions.

Explain?

It is one of the things I don't like so much about 5e.

the Barbarian feels like he should have been called a berserker and been a fighter archetype.

I wish they had focused more on the stuff from the older barbarian class. More of an instinctive ranger.

By D&D rules Conan is a Fighter/Rogue.