One of my players insists I should call a succubus a "succuba". Is he right Veeky Forums?

One of my players insists I should call a succubus a "succuba". Is he right Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Latin_feminine_nouns_in_the_second_declension
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

no, and even if he was, he's still a fucking retard

Succubus is singular, succubi is plural.

is he a first-year latin student?

If he was he'd know better.

Succubae

If that were true the singular would be succuba. It's in the second declension. Or maybe the fourth, in which case the plural would still be succubus.

t. former 1st year Latin student

Are there any feminine nouns in the 2nd declension at all?

>succuba (male)

Maybe. It's "sukuba" in my language, though succubus also gets used, depending on the origin of the source.

Yeah it's not strictly masculine, just most of the time.

Succubus follows the feminine 4th declension like manus. It works grammatically, though it's true -us endings are almost always masculine or neuter.

However, the word succubus is a medieval invention based on the classical word succuba ("paramour"). So it sounds very purist if you claim you are following that.

Neuter makes sense, considering succubi and incube were one and the same sometimes.

Alternatively, they just have dongs.

What would succubabe be

>succubus
>no combat power

Fucking what

It's a spirit that comes to fuck you when you sleep, as an explanation for sleep paralysis and nightly emissions.

Of course it's got no combat power

The legendary sixth declension.

You mean incubus.

no

Skububa

SUCCubus

It's a fiend that can drain levels, scary as hell for any PC.

And dragons are just exagerated accounts of dumb lizards, it doesnt stops them from being powerful in fantasy

a succubus sucks your bus
an incubus inks your bust

This is simple baby shit

You mean incubus.

As someone who has taken four years of Latin, let me clarify this a bit.

Succubus is an English word, and does not follow Latin grammar. It's succubus/succubi, and due to being in English, does not have a grammatical gender. But yes, succubus comes from the Latin Succuba/Succubae, which is first declension, itself from sub (under) + cubo/cubare (to lie down).

As confusing as it may be, declension has nothing to do with gender. While most first declension nouns are feminine, and most second declension are either masculine or neuter, there are tooons of exceptions. e.g.:
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Category:Latin_feminine_nouns_in_the_second_declension

Closest you could get (I think) would be Subcubabo, which roughly means "I will [in the future] lie under".

>takes 4 years of Latin
>still can't speak it

SUCC-U-BI or SUCC-U-BAE?

succ-u-dry

fuck outa here wid dat

I could at that point in a limited fashion, but now at best I can translate written text poorly. Or just be pedantic on the internet.

Tell him he can succunuts

succ-u-die

Snikt bubbah

No.

Even if there was some latin bullshit where it's supposed to be Succuba, that doesn't matter because we don't speak latin.

Beat me to it.

How come you've retained more from your 1 year than I have in 5?

Maybe he’s saying ’succubi’ with a Texan accent.

Well lookit all these goshdarn SUCK-YOU-BAHHH.

Technically yes, as Latin is one of those languages with gendered words. Succubus/succubi is actually the male form, and succuba/succubae the proper feminine form of the word