If you play DnD you have the warlock as an optional character class

If you play DnD you have the warlock as an optional character class.
The lore behind pact magic most of the time is that it's a shortcut to higher power.
Keeping that in mind, shouldn't a warlock be more powerful than other classes that rely on their own strength?

Yes but Lore is trumped by Game Balance so 5e decided that Warlock would be the "Always on" character, getting fairly powerful magical abilities that it always has access to, or access to greater power more quickly, albeit only once per day.
Additionally, it scales more linearly than the wizard does, so it gets stuff quickly, at the cost of never being as versatile or powerful as the back-end Wizard, who always gets the Quadratic power equation.
Now, where Wizards fucked up was not taking a more proprietary approach to development, and catering to the larger market rather than the loyal fans, but that's not relevant to this discussion. Where they fucked up here in particular is giving the Warlock the one extremely good option of being the Blaster Caster Field Mage, and absolutely nothing comparable to it. At all. I would've liked to see a "Trusted Advisor Nobody should Trust" option and give the Warlock the ultimate Party Face toolkit, or a pure CC Walrock, or a Tanky Bladelock that actually worked.
Basically they gave the Warlock the tools to be the very best at one specific thing, but they only included being the best DPR in the core rules.

What if warlock gave you less raw power per level but let you get levels more easily?
Like, the first day you make a pact contract you immediately get 5 levels of warlock. That would stunt your future growth but give you a bunch of power up front, making it a tempting offer right before facing a big boss.

It's not a shortcut, it's begging your sugar daddy for superpowers.

Sounds like a shortcut to me.

Not necessarily, or at least not if we don't assume all first level PCs have spent equal amount of time training.
To become even 1st level wizard could require years of studying magic, not to mention having access to spell books and having high enough intelligence to memorize and understand complex rituals and formulae that are needed for casting spells, while any random shmuck could become a 1st level warlock if they just make a deal with the devil.
The total power may be the same,but the warlock got there a lot quicker, and without the materials and qualities he would have needed if he wanted to be a wizard.

>Keeping that in mind, shouldn't a warlock be more powerful than other classes that rely on their own strength?

I dunno, maybe they don't get it all at once.

Warlock A is going through the traditional pact methods and thus every week he's tutored by a coven of fairies, sprites, and bugaboos under a sufficiently old and ancient tree. Their teachings are largely inconsistent however.

Warlock B doesn't realize he's a Warlock, but instead believes himself to be an ASTOUNDING Sorcerer of great natural talent and that he simply needs to unlock his lost potential and tap into his ancient Dragon heritage. In actuality, though, he ate a falling star as a child and survived- he gets more power every once in a while due to cosmic rays.

Warlock C has been sexually abused by a succubus since he was 14- when his father sold him to her to protect his own soul: every time she visits him he leeches off a little bit of her infernal power, he's biding his time to when he's powerful enough to rape and then kill her and his father.

Warlock D is old as shit, but he sold the deed to an unoccupied dungeon to a Sphinx in exchange for magical patronage until he dies. He receives power in weekly packages.

I mean Clerics, Druids, and terrible and superfluous instances of Paladins are also suckling from the tit of a higher power, and no one asks why aren't they immediately wrecking shit from level 1.

Clerics and Druids are pretty OP in DnD though.
Besides, they didn't sell their soul.
Would you put age restrictions on wizards?

>Besides, they didn't sell their soul.
I mean in D&D, by worshiping a deity you kind sort of are in a sense.

>Keeping that in mind, shouldn't a warlock be more powerful than other classes that rely on their own strength?

But it already is, because 1 to 4 levels in hexblade is already better than any other dip in 5e.

Adventurers are above average to begin with. It is absolutely critical premise that module designers and players alike habitually forget.

Here's your (You) Get fucked.

If I walk to the store and you drive, we both still end up at the same store.

Okay, fine. But I get there faster.
In fact I could visit multiple different stores in differnt parts of the city in the time it took you to shop at one.

The problem with Warlocks is that they're not even the best blasters. Sorcerer and Wizard end up being better blasters when you're dealing with multiple enemies. Warlock is basically some loser with a crossbow that can only do high damage to a single crossbow... except instead of a crossbow it's magic DBZ energy blasts.

If I wanted to be boring as fuck and just be a turret that does the same thing every turn, I'd have picked up Fighter and taken Crossbow Expertise. (Which is actually better at the role than Warlock anyway, not counting the metric asston of "mundane"-resistant enemies in the DMG.)

H E X B L A D E
E
X
B
L
A
D
E

Wrong. It's not "faster", it is merely "less demanding". You don't need the intellect and hard work of a wizard or a fighter, you don't need any effort at all.

Is shit, literally done better by the Paladin, Eldritch Knight, or even the Bladesinger Wizard now that Shadow Blade is a thing.

Stop trying to make swordlock a thing, it sucks.

Except that levels and experience are mechanics decoupled from the actual fiction of the game. So ultimately how you get there doesn't matter.

In the same sense that your Warlock takes a shortcut to achieve the same power that other characters work for, your Warlock can't ever "work harder."

Didn't /5eg/ prove once and for all how hexblade/sorcerer with Booming Blade and Quicken/Twin Spell was overpowered as fuck?

That relies alot more on Sorcerer and Cofeelock "hurrdurr I don't need to sleep ever and can break the spell slot economy" bullshit that no DM would ever actually allow in their game than it does on the strengths of hexblade as a stand-alone class.

No.
If you pick a warlock, your character only managed to bring themselves up to the level of the other real heroes by selling their soul or some other shit.

Honestly, I'd rather just take Magic Initiate. Get Eldritch blast and Hex without having to dip into the most useless class.

>most useless class
>hexblade exists and literally every high level build dips it

Right. If you're not going to show the unearned help with faster progress you would do so with better results.
After all, you're earning XP from the same actions. So you all work equally hard.

Eldritch Blast alone isn't a great spell. It's the Agonizing Blast and Repelling Blast invocations that make it good.

Literally wrong. Alot of casters dip it for the Eldritch and Devil's Sight invocations, and free shield and medium armor proficiency, but there are "high level" builds that don't touch it at all.

It's a shortcut to higher power with batshit insane stupid risks, high failure rate, and they've not good social stigmata- except that was completely ruined by making tieflings a homogenized species, and trivilizing the far realm from how Firestorm peak, Lords of Madess, and Dragon #330 amongst other sources pre-4e depicted the place.

>Implying other classes don't do it's job better.
All I care about is the force damage. It might as well be called "Strictly Better Firebolt"

Sorry, can't hear you over my Socadin build that didn't use any Hexblade levels and still nova's through everything in the game.

>Hexblade is shit
5e until now actively avoided single stat gishes because of how it turns mages into the best melees. Hexblade also gives you the most bonuses for any level of any dip in any class, ever. It is objectively the single-most overpowered, frontloaded subclass to have been released to date.
Let's look at the benefit for a single level:
You get a passive Shillelagh for the most-used casting stats. Shillelagh was intentionally kept obnoxiously hard to come by and use because of how atrociously busted single-stat gishes are in a game where things likes Monks and Str martials have to focus on three stats at a time to be viable. Shillelagh was for Wisdom (not used as much as Charisma), was limited to two specified weapons, required a piece of your action economy to cast, was limited to literally /one/ class, and you actually had to choose it. Now, you can have a passive Shillelagh for a better casting stat on any martial weapon at all with no investment other than picking the subclass (and there's no other Warlock subclass as this one objectively overshadows the rest).
Next you have all martial weapons, something otherwise kept away from spellcasters with the exception of Clerics, and their subclass choices for it were limited to one minor effect each. Now you get all martial weapons just for picking it, which was a reason to take things like fighter in the past. Medium is better than light armor for every caster as it is, and only required 14 dex to max out, something you can easily get while maxing out Cha and Con on a standard 27 point buy.
Next you have the spells - no other Warlock domain gives Shield, and simply having Shield gives your character the equivalent of a perpetual +5 AC because of its flexibility and the fact it's only a level 1 spell. Take another caster class and you have guaranteed permanent +5, keep Warlock and you've still got a consistent 22 AC (more than martial in full plate, shield, with the defensive fighting style) Cont

Then you've got Hex, the standard shit everyone already dipped Warlocks for, a core aspect of plenty of builds and excellent action economy for more DPS. You still get that as per normal - but wait -
You now have another Hex as well, so you've basically gotten two spells per short rest for only a 1 level investment, which would have been the equivalent of 2 levels of any other Warlock dip. Not only that, this Hex doesn't require concentration, has higher average DPS than normal Hex once you hit proficiency 4, and gives you the equivalent of an entire Fighter subclass' benefit (19 - 20 crits). The healing is just a bit extra that helps out the fact you're already going to be the tankiest person in your team with 22 consistent AC and 16 Con.

Compare this to literally any other level 1 dip. You get 5 - 6 different benefits you would dip in any other class for, on top of the added benefit of breaking 5e's own ideology of removing single-stat gishes from the game, all bundled into a single level.

And even with all that, Hexblade still sucks unless you multiclass it. Only having two spellslots for half your existence when it's your classes main resource is garbage.

There's a reason every single warlock build out there is "Take 2 levels of warlock and 18 levels of literally anything else".

>there isn't a single build in the entire game that can't make use of a Hexblade dip in at least three ways
>some of the most broken shit like Paladin dips get even more busted due to single-stat casting
Literally one level in this class is the equivalent of dipping into 3 - 4 others.
Hexblade is objectively the best Warlock subclass as it is even if you want to say 'hurr no multiclass xdddd'. It's already improved the current Eldritch Blast spamming builds significantly and has far more flexibility than another Warlock as you got your most iconic spell for free.

Oh and I forgot it lets you pick up SCAG cantrips as well, so that's great too. Builds like Rogue objectively improve more by grabbing a SCAG cantrip than taking a level in their own class, and they'd get all this extra shit on top of it.
SCAG is effectively a scaling melee attack that matches extra attack without even needing to take 5 levels in a specific class for extra attack, so you're not even losing damage for dipping any of your builds. SCAG objectively makes every melee build better unless they're using GWM or PAM.

Go read this thread if you want (). I can guarantee any argument you'd ever made is debunked and there's even more arguments made there for it.

even with gwm and pam scag cantrips make shit better but i suspect that's what you meant. you can be an eldritch knight with scag and +10 it with gwm anyway. you can be a sorcerer and twin spell scag for two melee attacks each the equivalent of an extra attack and then quicken another scag for another attack, effectively doing 6 attacks per round for 3 sorc points. hexblade makes this better because things like green flame blade get to apply the charisma modifier twice

Your logic makes no sense.

Why do you assume that the other power will make the person who does the pact stronger than others who do magic w/o a pact?

Because that's the whole point of a pact. To achieve power that otherwise would be impossible.

>single stat gishes
Cool. Your Dex is still low so your AC suffers.
You also have less HP than the cqc classes and no skills to compensate like the rogue.
...Unless you use one of your very limited spell slots.
>You get a passive Shillelagh
>Next you have all martial weapons
But you only gain the "Shillelagh" benefit from 1 handed weapons. Also, It's not a Shillelagh. You swapping one stat for another. Shillelagh replaces a the damage dice to 1d8.
>no other Warlock domain gives Shield
But other classes do, so this doesn't matter if you already don't give a shit about the warlock.

Also, you have 4 spell slots max. So the moment you do all this, you've drained yourself. Likely on one enemy.

>SCAG cantrip
>cantrip
You mean that thing that you can get from magic initiate?

To be honest, all you've done is make a case for why I should ban SCAGtrips.

>your dex is still low so your AC suffers
You get medium armor. You have Shield. You can wear a shield if you want.
As you're a Hexblade, you can make Cha your entire focused stat and just build tankier.
So now you're at 15 (+1) Cha, 15 (+1) Con, 14 Dex, 10, 8, 8 in whatever else you want on a 27 point buy as a Vuman, with a feat left over.
At level 1 as a Hexblade you can be a spellcaster with one main stat with 19 AC + Shield for 24 AC. With a two-hander you can be 17 AC + Shield for 22 AC. You have a +3 Con with a 1d8, so you're only .5 hp lower on average than your Fighter per level, but he has to focus on more stats for less results.
What the fuck are you on about with 'lower HP than CQC classes'? You've got the highest effective HP of any 'CQC' class in the game while being less stat hungry.
>But you only gain the "Shillelagh" benefit from 1 handed weapons. Also, It's not a Shillelagh. You swapping one stat for another. Shillelagh replaces a the damage dice to 1d8.
When you take Pact of the Blade you can apply it to literally any weapon. When you don't have Pact of the Blade you can apply it do d10 versatile weapons like longswords. Shillelagh applies to literally TWO weapons, this applies to literally everything.
>But other classes do, so this doesn't matter if you already don't give a shit about the warlock.
What is this non-argument even meant to say?
>Also, you have 4 spell slots max. So the moment you do all this, you've drained yourself. Likely on one enemy.
You've got 5 spell slots when you include the class' upgraded Hex, which is already more than any other Warlock.

>You mean that thing that you can get from magic initiate?
Yes, the thing you can get wasting an entire feat, which you have to take 4 levels for, give up an ASI for, or be Vuman to get for free. Alternatively you can spend one level in Warlock and take your next level to get your +2 stat and get infinitely more benefits out of it

You don't know what you're talking about.

>You can wear a shield if you want.

Now you can't cast spells and hold a weapon at the same time, grats. Unless you are a paladin, but THEY CAN ALREADY DO THAT.

>Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property.
>What is this non-argument even meant to say?
That other classes outdo the Warlock. So when you have give you benefits that last longer, you don't stack up.
>You've got 5 spell slots when you include the class' upgraded Hex
Which is still less than any other casting class.
>Yes, the thing you can get wasting an entire feat,
I'd rather take a feat than multiclass. At least then I still have the option to take the higher level things in that given class. Assuming I'm already going to multiclass I won'be be split 3 separate ways.

>now you can't
Warcaster. The build was a Vuman with an open feat. It would also let you use SCAG cantrips as a reaction so even more DPS.
Likewise, you can just drop your shield or weapon, cast the spell, pick it back up, which is all within the rules.
Don't ignore the rest of the argument to say one pointless thing.

>Likewise, you can just drop your shield or weapon, cast the spell, pick it back up, which is all within the rules.

Actually, it isn't. "Dropping a weapon is a free action" is a 3.x-ism that isn't supported in 5e. Dropping a weapon would be your "item interaction" for the turn.

>Hand economy
Why is DnD so shit?

I always assumed level 1 wizards did some legwork before so they're on the same level with sorcerers and warlocks who had shortcuts to that power due to being lucky at birth and making pacts respectively.

Mearls or Crawford said in a Sage Advice that you actually CAN do this.

It's still retarded as fuck though and shouldn't be allowed.

You think action economy is exclusive to DnD?

>Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch one weapon that you are proficient with and that lacks the two-handed property.
Read the next page, it continues. And if you were directing that at the longsword d10, longswords don't have the two-handed property, versatile isn't a two-handed property.
>Hexblade is fine
>but it's okay that it outdoes every single other Warlock subclass
Hexblade is not fine if it invalidates every single other Warlock class. 'Other classes are strong so that doesn't mean that this isn't' isn't an argument. Hexblade is the issue, not Warlock. Hexblade is objectively the best Warlock option by a mile. It gives you more in one level than any other subclass option gives you in 6. And it can even use shit like the new Improved Pact Weapon for additional DPS.
>which is still less than any other casting class
You get them back per short rest, and given that all your spells are considered to be of the highest level you can cast, they have more value.
>I'd rather take a feat than a multiclass
You mean you'd rather waste four levels than one, when that one also gives you far, far more benefits than just the one shit feat. Not only is that subjectively your opinion, it's objectively a shit decision because there isn't a single instance where taking a level in Hexblade regardless of your class wouldn't get you more of a benefit than giving up one of your class levels, regardless of build or class.

>dropping your weapon would be item interaction for a turn
Because I know you'll just argue bullshit semantics if I use the actual book's rulings, have a Jeremy post instead.
Pulling things out of your ass that sound correct doesn't mean they are.

No, but the minutia of min-maxing how many times you can drop and draw a weapon to abuse somatic components of spells is the kind of retarded min-maxing that's only possible in a system built as shittily and autistically over-bloated as DnD.

You should try actually playing something other than D&D before you attempt to criticize it, you can do this kinda thing in both Shadowrun and WoD just as easy.

Wow, two games that aren't even the same genre as DnD. Great argument.

You should play some games that aren't shit before blindly defending shit.

>confirmed for never having played another system

Wait until you see the kind of action economy min/maxing that goes on in GURPs if you think this is bad.

15 con is +2 not +3.
Also, CQC classes refer to Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin, and if you're into it the Ranger. 1d12, or 1d10 each. Assuming you're going with the average that's way less effort for decent HP.
>You get them back per short rest.
That's nice. Have fun waiting with the rest of the party while their spellslots recharge. Unless you want to go in alone and get your shit wrecked.
>You mean you'd rather waste four levels than one
I'd rather take 4 levels of something good, take a feat, and then continue with the class I enjoy. In what way is me taking paladin for four levels, taking the feat, then doing another 2 (getting to level 6) before multiclassing into sorcerer a waste of four levels? I'm getting more spell slots, better features, and the warlocks or two decent spells.
Feels like a win, my dude.

Hexblade doesn't need coffeelock.

>SCAG objectively makes every melee build better unless they're using GWM or PAM.
Dual wielding rogue? Having two chances to apply sneak attack seems at least worth considering over taking Booming Blade and committing everything to one attack.

I said 15 (+1), meaning the racial bonus, implying 16. The 15 was what you'd take with 27 point buy.

CQC classes can refer to them as much as they like. Those CQC classes don't get an effective 25% damage reduction out of shield in all instances. I also said effective HP, not actual. Having 5 more HP at level 5 means absolutely nothing if the Warlock has the same AC as you pre-Shield, but post-Shield they have the equivalent of 10 more HP than what you have.
>I assume you're going for the average
Don't even try to argue what the best minmaxing options are if you're going to suggest things like rolling for anything lmao, because you clearly don't care about what is actually better.
>have fun waiting
Subjective and based on cherrypicking. In a party of short-rest classes you'd be able to keep up whereas a normal caster couldn't.
>I'd rather X
Doesn't matter what you'd rather do or your 'lol it's because it's what I enjoy' reasoning. It's objectively worse value and you're using subjective reasoning for why anything is better than something else.
>In what way is me taking paladin for four levels, taking the feat, then doing another 2 (getting to level 6) before multiclassing into sorcerer a waste of four levels?
Holy shit there's actually so much wrong with this.
One, you're losing out on a +2 to your stats for something otherwise irrelevant
Two, you never go to 4 in a martial unless you're also going to 5 or else you're just losing value.
Three, you get infinitely more out of going one in Warlock rather than 4 in Paladin. Because now your Paladin also gets all the other benefits of Warlock /on top/ of the cantrip you wasted an entire ASI for. You also only have to focus on one casting stat now since Paladin and Sorc both use Charisma, so you can use future ASIs for other shit.
>feels like a win
Feels like you have absolutely no understanding of what your talking about and that your entire argument is based purely on subjective, illogical reasoning.

Rogue is specifically one of the best SCAG cantrip users in the entire game because their damage is frontloaded into one attack. At level 5 (including multiclass), Booming Blade gives Rogue a guaranteed 1d8 with a potential of 3d8 overall, which is infinitely more average DPS than a second attack only needed when you miss.

I guess it's a situation I'd consider immediate gratification over actual DPR then, because a martial that only gets one attack roll per turn forever and is essentially built around hitting with it would make me strongly consider alternatives. In fact I was just doing that yesterday when building an AT, which is the whole reason I brought rogue up. I did take booming blade though, more for the novelty than anything.

That's the beauty of it, using SCAG cantrips you can go 3 in martials without picking up extra attack and still do fine damage. In fact, Rogue is one of the absolute best people for this because their level 5 is only 1d6 more as it was slowly scaling to match extra attack. This means you can go 3 in Rogue for Swashbuckler or Assassin, then go 3 in something else entirely and do fine. One of my favourite builds is Swashbuckler 3/Beast Conclave UA Ranger 3, because then you have a pet doing its own attack, you can flank with it for advantage to make sure your one attack hits, and your normal attack is doing extra attack-equivalent damage as it's a scaling cantrip that includes melee.

But really, in terms of average DPS, so long as your to-hit isn't the exact same as the enemy's bonus AC, you have a significantly high DPR using Booming Blade with your attack, even taking into account the chance of missing and the damage loss it brings. You can also take it a step further and grab Warcaster, so now you can sneak attack + Booming Blade on your turn, and sneak attack + Booming Blade on your reaction attacks.

>Making a contract with a fey.
Of all the stupidity of mankind, this one is the worst.

Honestly, the feels of missing my only attack and thus having my turn amount to zero and quickly end was what made me reconsider. I know that has nothing to do with the real math and is no real argument, though.

You want to be wise, play a cleric.

"Fey are ill news!" is vastly overexaggerated under a D&D context, and perhaps even outside of a D&D context.

>Pixies
2e: Neutral
3.X: Neutral good
Pathfinder: Neutral good
4e: Unaligned (also a PC race)
5e: Neutral good

>Sprites
2e: Neutral (good)
Pathfinder: Chaotic neutral
5e: Neutral good

>Grigs
2e: Neutral good
3.X/Pathfinder: Neutral good
4e: Unaligned

>Dryads
3.X/Pathfinder: Chaotic good
4e: Unaligned (also a PC race, as hamadryads)
5e: Neutral

>Nymphs
2e: Neutral (good)
3.X/Pathfinder: Chaotic good
4e: Unaligned

>Satyrs
3.X/Pathfinder: Chaotic neutral
4e: Unaligned (also a PC race)
5e: Chaotic neutral

The "iconic" fey hardly seem that malicious. Alignments are objective cosmic assessments, seldom "These are evil to humans even though they think themselves good."

Folktales-wise (even in Grimm stories), fairy tales are depicted as a roughly even split between benevolent and malevolent (you know, like humans). Even then, the malevolent ones tend to target humans who were, in some way, deserving of punishment, because these fairy tales served the purpose of cautionary tales and morality plays to scare youngsters into good behavior.

So where is "around fey, watch yourselves" coming from? You should not allow the parroted memes of Veeky Forums to influence your thinking.

Do correct me if I am mistaken, but for a heavy-weapon-using paladin/warlock (hexblade) build that must suffer the indignity of a low-level start, is it not more ideal to start with paladin (vengeance) 6, multiclass into warlock (hexblade) 2, and from there, raise either paladin levels or warlock levels depending on the expected leveling pace of the game?

That seems like the ideal way to go about building a paladin (vengeance)/warlock (hexblade) nowadays, is it not? Is there a strong impetus to take warlock levels before gaining the extra paladin attack at level 5 and the aura of saving throw bonuses at level 6?

>shouldn't a warlock be more powerful than other classes that rely on their own strength?

Doesn't have to be. As you say, the other classes have their own strength and warlock is a shortcut to power.

The other classes are 'hero' level individuals and that is what is reflected in the class. You could easily look at the warlock as a lesser talent that is using a shortcut to be on the hero level.

We used to do stuff like that back in 1e/2e. But later editions went to an all levels cost the same xp model.

Depends exactly how you value your DPS.
If you desperately need extra attack, you'd go 5 Pal/1 Hex, then go back into Paladin after grabbing any extra stuff you might want off Warlock
If you don't desperately need extra attack, you can go 3 Paladin/1 Warlock or even start Warlock and use SCAG cantrips. Once you hit 4 Paladin/1 Warlock you'll be doing the equivalent (or more) of extra attack, albeit if you're GWM or PAM you'll miss smite opportunities.

So in short, if you're using PAM or GWM, go 5 Paladin/1 Hex, do any extra Hex stuff you might like (level 3 in Hex would let you use your GWM weapon with Cha, and you'd also get the +1/+1 out of Improved Pact Weapon), then continue with Paladin.
If you're doing anything other than GWM/PAM, you can go 3 Paladin/1 - 3 Hex, back to Paladin, and use SCAG stuff to make up for the lack of extra attack for a few levels, but you'll also have ranged options and the two Hexes for damage earlier.

I do believe Great Weapon Master and/or Polearm Master are the gold standard for actually killing people in melee, so the paladin start is clear.

>5 Paladin
Why skip the sixth level of paladin if the character is to have a Charisma modifier of +3? The last thing a character wants is to be taken out by a nasty save-or-lose effect. The aura helps concentration checks (so as not to lose those concentration self-buffs), allies' saving throws, and allies' concentration checks.

The warlock dip at character level 6th would confer some offensive benefits, but nothing that can compare to the raw safety net of the saving throw aura.

>level 3 in Hex would let you use your GWM weapon with Cha
Which is probably a good idea given that an ability score increase from warlock 4 comes earlier. Still, the presumed starting Strength 16 feels rather wasted; it is a clear sign that paladin (vengeance)/warlock (hexblade) multiclasses are more well-off with mid-level starts, no?

A character who starts at level 9, for whatever reason, could have the luxury of being a paladin (vengeance) 6/warlock (hexblade) 3 while swinging around a heavy weapon with only Strength 13.

Warlocks deal with archfey, not just any fey. At that level you're talking about hags and shit.

>Complaining that the Wizard can’t do literally everything and better than those that have to specialize
Revel in your class being better than good at everything. Bladesingers stoke tanking from martials. Let Warlocks have the best spell damage

It really depends on what you value more, your damage or your saving throws.
If you want the saving throws desperately, you take the 6th level and Paladin and by level 9 you can use your Cha as your attacking stat - but until then you're reliant on your Strength, which should otherwise be low since you're maxing Cha as your primary stat for everything.
Ideally, I'd just start 3 Hex so you can get your GWM weapon to use Charisma asap, and then go the rest into Paladin. Only reason I didn't mention that is because it sounded like you really want to take Paladin.
I'll also point out that you can use a quarterstaff with PAM and use that with only one level in Hex, so that's another alternative if you're choosing PAM, until you've got level 3 in Warlock and can switch to a glaive.

Here's how I'd do it in your situation:
If you're using GWM:
Start 1 in Paladin or Warlock (whichever you prefer the level 1 bonuses of more), go three into Warlock to pick up Cha main-stat and the +1/+1, then continue back into Paladin. You don't lose much damage as you can still GWM with the SCAG cantrips, so by 2 Paladin/3 Warlock you're dealing extra attack damage.
If you're PAM:
Start same way as before, 1 in either Paladin or Warlock. After you've got 1 in Warlock, just take Paladin until 5 or 6, up to you. You're using a quarterstaff until you have 3 Warlock. At 5 - 6 Paladin/3 Warlock you switch to glaive.

I personally don't care about the saving throw safety net. I can play other builds that use Hexblade and still survive without bonus to saves, but I don't know how long I can survive without using my main stat as my attacking stat when my Strength is only the bare minimum for my weapon.

>hags
>archfey

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

The paladin start is necessary for heavy armor.

Ultimately, it seems that for would-be paladin/warlocks who must start at a low level (probably because that is what most 5e games start at; a mid-level start is a luxury, hardly a guarantee), they must simply play as a regular paladin until level 5 or 6 if they want to be optimal throughout the lower levels. That means not gaining as much from the third level of warlock (hexblade), perhaps suggesting that the character should take paladin levels instead.

It is all for the best though, seeing how the campaign may not even see the light of level 8 or 9.

Let us inspect some of the archfey of AD&D 2e from Monster Mythology.

The Seelie Court (whose mobile divine realm travels through the NG/CG Beastlands, CG Arborea, and CG/CN Ysgard) has 11 members:
Titania: Greater goddess, neutral good leaning towards chaotic good
Oberon: Lesser god, neutral good leaning towards neutral
Caoimhin: Demigod, neutral leaning towards chaotic good
Damh: Lesser god, chaotic neutral
Eachthighern: Lesser god, chaotic good
Emmantiensen: Intermediate god, neutral good
Fionnghuala: Demigoddess, neutral good
Nathair Sgiathach: Intermediate god, chaotic good
Skerrit: Lesser god, neutral leaning towards chaotic good
Squelaiche: Demigod, chaotic neutral leaning towards chaotic good
Verenestra: Lesser goddess, neutral leaning towards chaotic good

The Unseelie Court has one member:
The Queen of Air and Darkness: Intermediate goddess, chaotic evil

That gives us 5 out of 12 archfey as good, 1 out of 12 as good leaning towards neutral, 4 out of 12 as neutral leaning towards good, 1 out of 12 as neutral, and 1 out of 12 as evil.

4e has no comprehensive roster of all archfey. However, as per page 121 of Heroes of the Feywild, the plane's archfey "mostly acknowledge the leadership of Her Summer Majesty, Queen Tiandra." She verily does not approve of evil, seeing how her anointed warriors, the Shiradi Champions, must be non-evil.

As for 5e, page 49 of the DMG tells us:
>Two queens hold court in the Feywild, and most fey owe allegiance to one or the other. Queen Titania and her Summer Court lead the seelie fey, and the Queen of Air and Darkness, ruler of the Gloaming Court, leads the unseelie fey. Seelie and unseelie do not directly correlate with good and evil, though many mortals make that equation. Many seelie fey are good, and many unseelie are evil, but their opposition to each other stems from their queens' jealous rivalry, not abstract moral concerns.

The Seelie/Summer Queen is a nice person, whether she is "Titania" or "Tiandra."

What about when multi-classing is implemented?
Then people that were already hero level individuals can go through a period of temptation that ends with them making an enourmous sacrifice in order to amass power from an infernal creature, resulting in... one level of warlock.

>Those CQC classes don't get an effective 25% damage reduction out of shield.
Devotion Paladin, Eldritch Knight. On top of heavy armor, a shield, and the Defence fighting style.
>Subjective and based on cherrypicking.
Then why'd you bring it up? I can guarantee that after the party is done blowing their collective load in one combat, you'll take a long rest.
>Doesn't matter what you'd rather
Yes it does, because the setup you're suggesting will have to compete with these other builds when I make my character. If Paladin/Sorcerer does heavy damage better, then I'll stick with that
>Holy shit there's actually so much wrong with this.
Thanks for making my argument for me. I'll likely never delve into Warlock for all of these reason, unless the situation absolutely demands that I do. Because I'm starting as a paladin, and will likely take 2-6 levels in it for divine smite and a few buffs to my health and saving throws.
>Feels like you have absolutely no understanding of what your talking about
You're right. I'll stop trying to find a compromise with you.

Speaking of warlocks, traditionally wizards become liches, could a warlock become a lich?

See Lichfiend- versions 1 & 2. The Warlock just needs Brew Potion, Craft wonderous Item and the spells needed in the ritual, one which has been consistently Magic Jar amongst others.

Wunderbar, thank you user

>problem with Warlocks is that they're not even the best blasters.
Since when were warlocks blasters? Isn't that Sorcerers? Warlocks are cursing debuffers and perhaps summoners.

So is Hexblade overpowered or not?

>Speaking of warlocks, traditionally wizards become liches, could a warlock become a lich?

any caster can become a lich, there have been cleric liches from the beginning

How many hexblades have you played?

you're thinking Demo spec WOWlocks buddy. not 5eldritch Blastlocks

they still aren't shit compared to the nuclear druid build. Veeky Forums still hasnt come up with anything to match. most of the other builds are in the 1-300/rnd damage range. nuclear druid is solidly in the 4-500 range with a threat of up to 1700 if i remember correctly.

A fucking Fey wrote this post.

There's a pretty broken warlock build I saw that gave him 2 extra lives and a mess of resistances. Probably not optimal, but still kind of amusing.

not really. just because someone gives you power you never had to start with, doesn't mean they're going to give a lot of power.
it's like being made a retail manager. Sure, it's a shortcut to power, but no one is just handing you a store to run or a corporate ladder to easy ride up. You still got to earn your way up.

Only at high levels.

As if min maxers ever aimed at anything other than max-level specs. Even if that never gets played.

Interestingly, children with autism are sometimes credited with as the origin of the "changeling" belief (that your child had been replaced by a fae).

this. The PC is not making a pact with a damn pixie.

See