Is anyone else sick of the way D&D handles magic items?

Is anyone else sick of the way D&D handles magic items?
>Offers a plethora of magic items with interesting effects.
>Many items could be considered sidegrades to offer more versatility.
>You could even build a campaign around each player having magic items if you really wanted to.
>Yet most players will only ask for the Big 6 (Magic Weapon, Magic Armor, Ring of +X, Cloak of Resistance (+X), stat boosters, or amulet of natural armor) and will rarely use any magic items they find, especially if it has a cost to it.
I mean for fuck's sake, why even make over 100 magic items if people are just going to focus on the most boring shit possible just because it gives them a +X to something?

>Is anyone else sick of the way D&D handles...
No. Because you see, if I didn't like DnD, I could use any of the other systems in the world instead. But I don't.

Not all D&D is 3.pf

>Dozen classes, even more class options
>Character background influences gameplay
>Everyone still plays the same retarded class combo to ‘win’ the game
D&D is for retards, big surprise.

So you're okay with the way the game pretends that all these awesome magic items are relevant until the player(s) realize that it doesn't give them a bonus to something?

It doesn't even need to be like this. Why do so many people sacrifice D&D's flavor for numbers?

because monsters were explicitly designed around PCs getting specific +X bonuses at Y level.

Gold isn't just gold for funsy magic items, it's a second character EXP track crucial to character advancement. Wasting it on 'fun' magic items is actively detrimental to your character's longevity

>BUYING magic items
Are you actually still playing 3.PF?

people almost always choose "boring but practical" over "flashy but uneffective" in real life, and in fantasy land

people are also usually more drawn to simple effects, rather than something that requires you to keep track of, "oh i forgot i could do that" is surprisingly common

this isnt a DnD problem, this is basic human interaction, they tend to approach easy and familiar things like a sword of +1 rather than a sword that can, once a day, allow you to detect the nearest toilet
even though the second one is theoretically more powerful, people tend to prefer the easier to use +1 sword

as for the cost thing, people are averse to risk, even if it has a chance for a big payoff, better to stick to tried and true methods

if you dont want people using +1 weapons, dont give them at all, the DMG sorts magic weapons by rarity, and you can easily substitute all the uncommon +1 swords you might have given them with equivelant uncommon trinkets
go read a book, you can supply them with some zany inventions from childs media
it should, ideally, be as simple and intuitive as an extra sharp sword
maybe dragon repellent, or ghost goggles (whether to see ghosts or the goggles themeselves are the ghost of once living goggles), helmet of fear, or something like that

while you shouldnt be afraid to had them exotic gear, be aware people are always drawn to things that they perceive as dependable

I've never had such problems with my players.

>inb4 buttmad 3aboo comes in to post "ducks in a circle"

>goggles themeselves are the ghost of once living goggles
I just spit into my roommates cereal. Thanks, dick.

We always make it so magic items have to have some sort of negative effect.
Like an amulet that lets you see perfectly in the dark (even when blinded) but it makes you nearly deaf.
Or a loincloth that lets you hide one of any sized item in it but you take a dex and movement penalty depending on how heavy that thing in there is.

paizo's been a steady company, ease of finding games, comfort with the system.

I occasionally play oWoD games with buddies and some old 3d6 starwars from time to time. Why are you so upset m8?

It's nothing, grandpa.

A lot of the people who play 3.PF around here give it a bad name, which is impressive considering it already had a bad reputation in the first place.

You don't seem the type since you actually play games that aren't 3.PF, but some of the fanboys around here elevate it to almost cult status with how they feverishly defend their game regardless of whatever faults you bring up about it.

Hell, just saying this, I expect to be called a troll/contrarian/shitter sooner or later by the buttmad 3aboo that comes around here.

Decision paralysis. The more options you have available at a given time, assuming the presence of some kind of limiting resource like X times per day, the more thought you have to put into which option to use at a given time. I've never really liked on-use magic items specifically because it either feels like a waste that I'm not using it, or else I feel like I need to prioritize being clever with my inventory over playing my character's reactions.

Meanwhile, the "Big Six" are all passive bonuses. I don't have to micromanage anything, they just increase the numbers that I use. That's not to say that I like them, however--I find +X magic items to be an incredibly boring concept. But, if I have to have a magic item, I'd rather have the one that just makes me better than the one that makes me get out Excel.

I mean, if you know you're just a contrarian shitter, why post at all if you're so afraid that you'll be called out on it?

You couldn't be more biased and wrong if you tried, because outside of your little shitposting campaign here, 3.PF enjoys a great reputation, and remains a go-to game despite its well known flaws. If anything, it's got a much better reputation than it deserves, but you're really going out of your way to pretend your minority opinion isn't a minority opinion just because you found solace with other shitposters on Veeky Forums who hate a popular game as much as you do.

>Have you tried playing 5e?

>I mean, if you know you're just a contrarian shitter, why post at all if you're so afraid that you'll be called out on it?
Acknowledging fault in a system is not the same as hating something just to be hating on it user. You do this every thread and at this point, it's pretty boring.

Get better material.

>Acknowledging fault in a system is not the same as hating something just to be hating on it user.

It's called a difference in taste. Some people like lots of little items because it means that they can be constantly rewarded, but you want to pretend your opinion is some sort of objective criteria and that what some people consider a feature, you demand it is called a flaw.

That's why it's obvious that you're just trying to be a hater, because you can't see beyond your own skull.
All the way to the point where you are trying to say a game that enjoys one of the best reputations somehow has a bad one. I can agree that it doesn't deserve that reputation, but you don't even accept that it has such a good reputation because you're so far off the deep end in your hate campaign.

Get your head checked.

If you were any more defensive, I could wear your ass as armor and be immune to all damage.

Just because I don't like 3.PF doesn't mean I'm on some jihad against it, nobody has the time

Play a game that doesn't actively breed such a shitty player base due to how limited and shitty it is itself.

In other words, play something besides DnD (this applies to all editions of it).

>All the way to the point where you are trying to say a game that enjoys one of the best reputations somehow has a bad one.
Something can have different reputations among different groups. It is possible for a system to be widely popular, with a positive reputation among its playerbase, but have a negative reputation among other groups.

Consider politics. A politician might be widely beloved by one side, but absolutely hated by the other. He has a positive reputation among one group, but a negative reputation among another.

>Consider politics. A politician might be widely beloved by one side, but absolutely hated by the other. He has a positive reputation among one group, but a negative reputation among another.
You could have just said "Trump", user.

There are more politicians than just Trump user. Besides, you could apply this to any career politician that has ever existed in the world.

Sorry, but with multiple daily D&D hate threads and always at least one person triggered into posting about how much they hate D&D every time they see those three characters, people start to get defensive because they get tired of all the shitposting.

Even extending to you the benefit of the doubt, we're still faced with other shitposters who are definitely on a "jihad" here. Thankfully, it's not got the /pol/ motivations behind it like the current anti-MtG crusade, but we're still looking at a bunch of people who take every opportunity to try and pretend the status quo is hating D&D, which is ridiculous when you realize that 5e is not just the most played RPG, but even the less popular Pathfinder still has a sizable following to the point where this genuinely upsets people.

Because most players have never had a GM that makes use of the weirder toys while still keeping it interesting.

Why do you insist on playing a system that you don't like?

Veeky Forums complaints department, have you tried not playing 3.PF?

5e pretty much does away with that, with the exception of generic +X weapons armor (that have a hard cap of +3), and you actually do just fine without them. Most magic items are pretty unique now, and the crafting hell of yesteryear are out the door too. DMG encourages magic item crafting as a quest in and of itself.

>nobody has the time

No, I'm pretty sure OP just made this thread specifically to start an anti-D&D thread and to fill it with "STOP PLAYING D&D" replies.
Never underestimate the level of retarded dedication that shitposters have, especially since what drives them to shitpost to begin with is obsession.

>Wasting it on 'fun' magic items is actively detrimental to your character's longevity

Your GM must suck.

I mean, the left's reaction to Trump is more or less identical to the right's reaction to Obama. But name-dropping either one of them would have made it much easier for people to dismiss the actual point because OF COURSE TRUMP/OBAMA IS TERRIBLE HOW COULD YOU SAY HE HAS A GOOD REPUTATION

Common magical items are like the best ones though. Both in character and out I’d take a Cape of Billowing or Heward’s Spice Pouch over a +1 Rapier or Greataxe any day

>Sorry, but with multiple daily D&D hate threads and always at least one person triggered into posting about how much they hate D&D every time they see those three characters, people start to get defensive because they get tired of all the shitposting.
Which only encourages said trolls into making more threads because they know that it makes people like you upset to know that other people might not like D&D as much as you do.

Everyone on the planet has heard about D&D, popular things tend to get shat on the most, and sometimes the criticisms have merit.

Get over it.

Or he could've just made the thread to get (you)'s and it has nothing to do with D&D at all beyond drawing in the fanboys.

You keep trying to turn this into something that's much bigger than it actually is when the simplest explanation always boils down to "I know it'll give me replies if I made a thread focusing on D&D." It doesn't have to be some weird obsession.

>Which only encourages said trolls into making more threads because they know that it makes people like you upset to know that other people might not like D&D as much as you do.

That's under the assumption that what these trolls want is just to make people upset.
What they're actually after is trying to turn this board into their contrarian paradise, where any mention of D&D is met with "You still play D&D? Stop playing D&D".
It's sad.

And, this isn't something to simply ignore, because that's what's allowed them to reach this stage where they balk at when their shitposting is called out as such.

Nice try, OP.
You should have at least changed the file name.

I run Black Crusade, My players get a might timid around anything perceived as "magical", I could present them with the EQUIVALENT of a +5 flaming, poisoning sword of doom and their reaction would be:

"you touch it"
"no! you touch it"
"I'm not touching it! you touch it"
"What if we get Derp-Marine to touch it"

Can't blame them though, this is a game where getting the equivalent of even a +1 sword requires asserting dominance over it or it will mind-rape you and use your body as it's own personal flesh-puppet.

>That's under the assumption that what these trolls want is just to make people upset.
Um, dumbass, that's generally why people troll people, to make them upset and see their reactions towards being upset.
>What they're actually after is trying to turn this board into their contrarian paradise
That would imply that it isn't already a shithole in the first place user. If it's not D&D, they'd shit on Warhammer. If it's not Warhammer, they'd shit on MtG. If it's not MtG, they'd shit on quests and if it's not quest, they'd find something else to complain about (maybe generals).

Trolls will use whatever they have at their disposal to get (you)'s user, getting upset over it only gives them what they want.

Even if I actually was OP, what exactly would change? You're still going to find threads like these all over the catalog and the reason you'll always find these threads is because the people who make these threads know that it makes you upset, which will cause you to reply, giving them (you)'s and incentive to make more threads in the future, leading to an endless cycle of bait begetting (you)'s and discussion being drowned out by the deluge of shitposting.

The only way to win is not to play, and yet you keep on trying mindlessly replying as if THIS time, someone will realize the error of their ways and fuck off, that's not how that works.

Well that's different. Space Marines are already some of the apex predators of the setting, capable of killing most things based on their own natural capabilities and equipment.

Compared to D&D, where magic is generally plentiful, yet you always find a +X weapon at some point during the game because the game operates on the assumption that you'd have a magic item by a certain point.

>people posting about not liking D&D is literally a conspiracy

>is anyone else sick of how I handle magic items in my campaigns?

People will always favor the ring of spell resistance +X than the cloak of the manta ray.