Motley crew of beastfolk are forced to act against increasingly aggressive human general as he declares war on the...

>motley crew of beastfolk are forced to act against increasingly aggressive human general as he declares war on the Kingdom of Monsters, an uneasy alliance of night creatures
Would you play this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i1qkSu0rJm0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

sounds cool, sure

No doubt. Just please tell me we're not using World of Darkness.

5e. Which race and class would you choose?

How about instead of choosing a race we all pick from a hat? Put a bunch of races there in pieces of paper and all players draw simultaneously.

I want to play whatever the hag thing in OP is.

But if I were to choose, it'd be a goblin thief or a gnoll ranger.

is this an interest check/theoretical thing or are you actually running a game?

Chad might be uncomfortable playing Quyxitlil the bareboned sea hag whose powers mainly consist of freezing people, deciphering arcane script and like.

I'm planning it, just wanted to see whether anyone else ran this sort of game without people screeching about their suspension of disbelief and how monstrous humanoids wouldn't work together.

>general
>declaring war
I fight for civilian control of the military.

>The Kingdom of Monsters
>an uneasy alliance
>kingdom = alliance
I also call on the monsters to get their shit together and figure out how governments work

>Chad might be uncomfortable
Fine, Chad, be a bitch and choose whatever race you want.
>this monster thing is dumb, I want to play a human

at the risk of being called an edge lord, only if we were playing on the human side

I would imagine the campaign would be a lot like the Roman conquest of the guals

Lizardfolk cleric of the forge. Having journeyed out of the swamp, my lizard decided to master the arms and armor of the warm-blooded races to make sure his clan doesn't get wiped out easily. Of course, their survival is even more likely if he were to join the fight himself, he thinks.

>I fight for civilian control of the military.
You'd have to deal with said BBEG. He's a dictator with overwhelming military power, likely sponsored by an unseen hand.

>I also call on the monsters to get their shit together and figure out how governments work
Technically that'd be a union of partially self-governing powers (gnoll tribes, medusae theocracy, a small goblin trade republic, &c.) under central ruler(s).

Humans Beyond-the-Wall, somewhat wildling style are ok.

My group's Chad is always up for trying something new, I doubt this will be an issue.

I'd ask the DM what monsters are available in the setting and randomly roll on a table of them to see what I get, plus rolling for any stats or special powers or variants.

Sounds fun, would do.

>You'd have to deal with said BBEG. He's a dictator with overwhelming military power, likely sponsored by an unseen hand.

This is a political intrigue campaign now

Gnoll, obviously. Assuming your setting doesn't have shitty futa Gnolls.

If it does, then I'll pick Lizardman of the Crocodile persuasion.

This is sitting in my "games to run folder" under the header
Savages/aka 'WEWAZKANGS'

Kobold

Naga ranger, specialized in covert ops.
What a thrill...

I am literally running this.

>Lizardman of the Crocodile persuasion.
My nigga. Personally, I'd go with an apeman similar to the grey gorillas in Congo. The book I mean

fuck, I dunno.
All my current character concepts are for shadowrun.
Uh.
Hm.
What is a good plant based monster that can let me biolante around?
Also acceptable is little shop of horrors version.

Dryad.

I thought they were all rooted to one zone?
I need one that can amble for the purposes of this game. Unless it's going to be more of a political thing than a dungeon thing, at which point playing "that forest that borders our kingdom" is actually a decent place to be.

Some versions they can move around, usually with a "home tree" still though.

I ran a short campaign along the lines of this.
My players were an Orc Pugilist (Overpowered Homebrew class the player found), a Yuan-Ti Pureblood Artificer (Advantage on all saves against magic is OP as shit), and a guy who wanted to play like... a midget Dragonborn Necromancer (I gave him a bunch of crazy OP shit too to match the other players. He was running a literal horde of undead alongside himself. There were in-game reasons why he could do that.)

The setting was sort of post-apocalyptic, but only for the races that weren't deemed cool by this one god that intervened and saved a small portion of the world as a bastion against the end of times. So all of my players were in the "left behind" category of monstrous looking races that now live as various small tribes fighting for resources in the hellish remnants of the remaining world.

They fought a bunch of Mad Max Gnolls at one point - and I decided to randomly generate a name for the leader of this Gnoll band. I made this specific generator using scripts in a google spreadsheet, and dumped a ton of random vicious and powerful sounding words in there to combine together as needed.

I hit "Generate Name" and got - and I shit you not.
"The Great Grand-Maw"

I just went with that, and made this Gnoll leader an old-as-fuck matriarch with a thick redneck accent, running around her crew of super-excitable warboy gnoll grand-children who all would just call her "Grammaw".

Anyway - what I'm trying to say here is, yeah - I'd totally play that sort of game. I think it'd be cool to play... like a bugbear monk or something.

It is, when PCs discover the fact. Party will likely have to haul their ass all the way over to his citadel to discover the fact. Borrowing ideas from Of Orcs and Men: youtube.com/watch?v=i1qkSu0rJm0

I don't think any overt sexualization would work here. Gnolls as I see them are typical barbarians with their own spiritual culture. So, violent and bloodthirsty when on the hunt, but can be sober when making decisions.

No one ruled over the monsters' land. I'm thinking on it having been created by way of various astral-floating lands coming together via some strange magical cataclysm. This, plus a couple of decades of history development to determine the alliance's inner regions' shades.

That's ok, I guess some swamps (and for kobolds, caverns) can work here. For nagas, 'drowner' wildling men and sea hags it's more of a ocean region, however, with primordial depths' powers.

Mechanics can always be adapted to fit the fantasy. I'm making monster class levels which you can take to get powers like stunning glance/hair attack/+dex to AC (if you're a medusa) or else. Instead of getting another level in a fighter, cleric, etc.

Ha! Thanks for sharing. It's cool to know people run this sort of things.

Yes but I shouldn't. I'd be too tempted to roll a monster girl in something like that.

I'd love to play this as a Thri-Kreen but we almost certainly aren't getting them in 5e because the game can't handle four-armed PCs

Did their multiple limbs effect anything in previous editions?

I don't recall them being able to wield weapons or shields with their second pair of arms, at least.

Crawford said it's an inevitability but it's going to take a really long time to figure it out.

>What a thrill...
That's cannibalism!

Kenku Warlock, gaining the invocation that allows me to speak again, as well as the witch sight invocation. Obsessed with magical knowledge, but not smart enought to earn it himself so he plagiarizes better mage's works.

As much as humans eating monkeys is cannibalism!
But also now I really want to play a survivalist naga spy. Why must I do this to myself.

Sounds sick, user. I'm torn between a Gnoll warlock or barbarian channeling their fiendish heritage. Which is more fitting: To manifest your cursed blood in banefire and brimstone, or to embrace its rage and bloodlust?

I would love that, sounds like a blast.

I'm partial to gnolls, and recently wanted to play a hobgoblin, but I'd totally randomize race and just run from there with a class choice and other fun stuff. IT would also be cool if the GM had some other fun races thrown in (pic related?).

>Humans Beyond-the-Wall in a monster campaign
Playing a human in a monster-dominated campaign tickles my xenophilia in a way that playing a monster never could. I'd definitely avoid it unless people wanted to go down that path.

>Instead of mimicking speech, the kenku mimics spells

I like it

You mean the GohREALas!?

That depends, can we breed with human females we catch?

Yes, sounds good.

One question, are all the goblins in the setting like Styx?

Wereshark

It's a Sea Hag

Sounds like the abandoned concept for the WoD expansion of WoW.
The Mongrel horde were rallied and united against their oppressors.
Gnolls, Kobolds, Troggs, Centaur, Quillboar and Murlocs.

Bug bear Gloom Stalker ranger.

I want to be the thing that goes "bump" in the night, and also one-rounds beefy opponents.

Because I ran it before - either gnoll death cleric, lizardfolk druid of the moon that is just transforming parts of the body to wild shape over completely transforming.
Alternatively I could just play a kobold wizard.

I will say I ran it before it is fun concept but because I did bad work I lack monster part as humans are now gone....I will need to redo the world myself some day.

I'd go with a hobgoblin monk, preferably with some finagling to refluff a flail as a meteor hammer.

I think because of dudes like this orcs should be banned for this concept - they are too human.

A friend of mine is DMing this, although it started as a murloc-only game. The argument is basically just the events of WC3 as seen by creeps.

You could even steal the plotline from the Watership Down. Wholesale.

>Chad might be uncomfortable
Then he's no Chad, just another virgin Veeky Forumsizen.

I would drop out humans entirely from the setting, make BBEG elf and his army a union of elves, dwarves and some other humanoid races, maybe gnomes. That way we eliminate any "Humanity, fuck yeah!" fuckery like and don't lose anything valuable.

I would see the monster "kingdom" as something like mongolian horde, countless beastmen tribes united by one powerfull leader.

Lizardman eldritch knight, with all my gear made of large creatures from the nearby great forest a-la Monster Hunter.

Yeah perhaps just grab Elfs, orcs and perhaps drow and there army of slaves?

I had my own setting of monsters that I need to redo, but in mine dwarfs came in loads of actions and one of them was a group that helped the monster races because elfs exterminated majority of there warriors

I doubt it will make the story a fun and interesting experience for everyone, so no.

In what regard? Visually they can be changed, by characterization they differ (although I'd prefer to limit their class options). Culturally it's still rough, I'm imagining something like early Venice with possibly a colder climate.

I'll have to refrain -- if I keep trying to add more to the setting I'll never run the actual game. But thanks!

Guess it would be interesting to try and subvert elves and dwarves. "One mysterious leader" is also a possible scenario. What I have in mind is some ancient magi who controls their lands' stability. If he dies, the lands' energy can be devoured by his adversaries. veryroughdraft.jpg

If you want to go this way you have to either pick elves, dwarves, gnomes and halflings or drows, orcs and other greens. They just wouldn't work together as one power. I much more prefer the first option because orcs&drows would be too similar to the beastfolks.

>Guess it would be interesting to try and subvert elves and dwarves.

From the OP post I imagine the army of antagonist to be advance and civilized to contrast the animal nature of beastfolks. Therefor I see them as more imperialistic and industrial entity, having firearms or even steam engine. And imperialism bring to my mind another thing, colonialism. What if the BBEG will be conquistador set to the new world to plunder it from treasures and purge the land for colonists?

>colonialism
Seems okay. I actually got the idea after reading about Droaam in Eberron - and the opposing nation's supposed to be Breland-like. They have magipunk elemental-driven flying ships and moving fortresses, war constructs (more widely known as warforged, although there are other, larger and more mentally simple exemplars), et cetera.

I did play this, more or less.

5e, Forgotten Realms. We were monsters in the Trollmoors who were resisting a logging company out of Nesme. We had...

> Doomsday-prepper Firbolg
> Clan of kobolds (each HP represented a single kobold)
> Redneck lizardfolk (talked like Boomhower)

It was like Home Alone in a swamp. Really fun.

>Kingdom of Monsters
Thats just so fucking lazy and stupid writing, no, fuck off.
>Its da evil hyoomans
Even worse

I mean, nobody said the humans were evil. Chances are the monsters have done a lot of bad shit, and struggling to fend off a crusade powered by righteousness and the will of the gods means you'll have to find a way to deal with paladins, angels, antiheroes with 5-o-clock shadows and twin katanas, and gnomish technology.

bump

If you ask me, the right way to do this is to make sure that the Monsters are not innocent, dindu nuffins, nor should they be unreasoning, baby-eating dickbags.

Give them a philosophy, one that gives them a good reason to engage in conflict with the more civilized races.

For example, make a proper God for the Gnolls. We'll call him The Ever-hungering.
>Devour the Sun. Chase it across the horizon until its terrible light and heat is within your stomach. See all that the world has to offer as you seek to take its light for your own.
>Always hunger. You are never meant to be sated, you are to consume and take what you need during your great hunt.
>Do not cease. The sun hides over the Horizon, but my children, you will pursue that burning orb until it is ours.

Ambitious, nomadic tribes with the ultimate goal of eating the sun. Given that Gnolls tend to inhabit wastelands, they would view the sun as a scourge, and the darkness of the night is greatly preferred. To harness its power and to embrace the endless, cool night instead of the scorching light of the day would be far superior, in their eyes.

I don't know, I like beastfolk but as a human I don't really like my own kind being the bad guys.

They don't necessarily have to be bad as a whole, they just need to be antagonistic. The best way to do that in my opinion is to make their reasoning and motives unknown. Make a literal barrier of language and knowledge between humanity and the beasts. Humans doing their thing, beasts are pissed at them, but the humans have no clue why and possibly don't care because they are just beasts who can't even communicate.

See, this is exactly what I said in You make humans antagonists in a story with non-human protagonists and immediately someone will complain about why humans are bad. Like I said, just replace humans with other civilized humanoid race and cut all discussions.

I don't like it. The whole ambiguous motives are lazy and sounds like something from Disney movie. "Oh, they are not evil, they are just misunderstood".
War for conquest is fine. You don't need to justify any side. They are just two nations figting over some territory just like many other nations in history.

Misunderstood isn't the point, but unknowable. Like how humans in most media see aliens or eldritch beings and cannot fathom their behavior, but in the end don;t care because it is a matter of survival.

I still hold my points. I find it lazy. In this case we don't talk about alien eldritch beings, but civlization of humanoids with similar intelligence, slighty more advance but still understandable. What unknow motives could they have anyway? Just please, don't come up with any macguffin.

>everyone on Veeky Forums wants to play a Gnoll or a Lizardman
>tfw Veeky Forums is secretly /Fortress/

Thri-Keen barbarian, I will be the battle bug!

It simply does not matter in my opinion. If they are powerful enough to force normally unaligned beastfolk of various kinds to fight together in desperation, there is no reason to try and negotiate. The humans have the higher position, have already declared war, and have no reason to concede. The only option is to fight and survive, not ponder what the enemy wants as they continue to destroy you.

Considering the "kobolds and catacombs" stuff in the latest leak, it may be coming back for BfA

Which leak?

Homm3 Fortress needs to come back

I wanted to play Homm3 but I took one look at it after downloading and my eyes glazed over

All newer fantasy art is pokemon and furries....

I don't know how they came about but this newer breed of Internet nerd from the past decade has really messed things up with their complete lack of settings boundaries. You can't put Pokemon and furries in everything indescriminately. It completely disrupts how things are supposed to feel.

Minotaur Barbarian or Kobold Sorcerer (Draconic)

Yuan-ti practice ritual cannibalism anyway, make a Yuan-ti rather than a Naga. A yuan-ti pureblood infiltrator works quite well, as does a half-blood ninja or something.

Depends on what kind of spy you want.

sauce on the image?

Bugbear Bear Barbarian

Are there any good templates for playing a Minotaur in 3.5e, how would you balance around a PC having a size difference from other PC's, natural armor, and monsterous hit die.

Bugbear paladin

Yes-yes beast-things. We work together to slay man-things, all get reward. Let me-me hold the warpstone, will keep it safe-secure.

OP, what would we need to do for you to run this game for us?