Veeky Forums - MTG STORY: Farewell Edition

Veeky Forums - MTG STORY: Farewell Edition

magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/wool-over-eyes-2018-02-14

So, Gideon and Jace going on an awesome adventure confirmed?

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/scifi-author-martha-wells-is-bringing-magic-the-gather-1822976803
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The ship they're on...is it a skyship? A new Weatherlight?

>A-at least pirates didn’t get Orazca.

Jura and Beleron's Excellent Adventures!
Where will they end up next? Dominaria? Ravnica? Modern Masters 3?

>Bonding over Dinosaurs

Best thing ever written.

>He is a bookish mind mage who is also the living embodiment of law
>He is a greek hieromancer who travels the worlds to bring justice
>together, they fight crime
sounds legit

>tfw everyone is going to somehow end up on Dominaria just in time for Phyrexia to pull some major shit.

Yes. Now, we get a civilization plot where the Aztecs cross the Atlantic to pillage and rape western civilization, with only brave paladins who willingly accepted damnation to serve their people standing in their way. Imagine how boring the plot would have become if pirates had won

so, Dominaria will focus on Gideon. Hopefully, the other fags of the Gatewatch are not there to ruin it

io9.gizmodo.com/scifi-author-martha-wells-is-bringing-magic-the-gather-1822976803
>The story picks up after Hour of Devastation. Gideon and Liliana have fled to Dominaria, where they're trying to kill Liliana's last demon. Chandra also appears in the story.
>Said demon, Belzenlok, is the leader of the Cabal (yes, that Cabal), which has returned to power.

Anyone know of Martha Wells, read her work?

>Chandra
and there goes any hope I had for the set

I normally dislike that kind of millennial autism, but that was pretty cute.

>return to Otaria

so, a professional. There is at least a chance it won't suck and millenial-talk will be kept to a minimum

>The Cabal

I think there's a fair chance.

How interesting.

Golden Demise is a card representing a fake memory, that is actually pretty well done.

>River Heralds are all but forgotten and go back to having no impact on anything.
>The Sun Empire goes full circle and go on to become the bad guys. (They'd fucking better, anyway.)
>Legion of Dusk get cucked out of even a remotely satisfying conclusion.
>Angrath, too, only gets a tiny little blurb.
>And it's the best part of the story.
>Gideon shows up and it's kinda bland, but at least we get to keep Swole Fun Jace
5/10. Our boy remains best boy. And now the Legion of Dusk is free to feed on the invaders the moment Apatzec sets his foot on Torrezon.

Maybe there's hope fo-- >Gideon AND Liliana
>Chandra
Fuck.

Dominaria is the set where they meet old characters as mentors or whatever, so chandra meeting the original version of herself is expected.
Chandra might even become less stupid in the process HAHAH as if

Bet that the Order is a branch of the Order of Heliud?

>Chandra
Please no. I really liked her at some point, but the way they write her is way too awful.

I find it honestly staggering how they managed to take a freckled redhead with large breasts and somehow got me to hate her.

Why did Angrath’s story, despite being the shortest, have the most emotional impact Veeky Forums?

Agreed. 5/10 It could be worse. Sun Empire winning Orazca was always the "okay" option.

Is he the most bearable of the Jacetice League?

>bearable

Sure, if you enjoy characters whose personality can be summed up into indestructible wall.

Is Otaria still entirely populated by mutant freaks?

Why does Huatli refer to the Aetherborn - a species she did not know to exist minutes before - as "they"?

that makes for great synergy with characters like Ob Nixilis and Nicol Bolas

She doesn't know what gender they are, so she plays it safe

Didn't Liliana basically just gave them a "fuck you I'm out of here" during the Bolas fight? Why would they bother with fighting her demons anymore?

They is a pronoun that can be used for males or females and so if you don't know or cant tell what someone it is the default

So, nobody going to mention that since the Brazen Coalition's plan all along was to use the Immortal Sun to kick the Legion of Dusk back to Torrezon-the-province and reclaim their old homelands, they'll probably end up working with the Sun Empire when it invades Torrezon-the-continent?

Apatztec does not sound like the kind of guy to make alliances with foreign marauders

They look like ghosts made out of ashes.

someone got a tldr?

she will say "sorry, my demon forced me" and Gideon will be compulsed to slay the beast for great justice

Tamiyo is a married woman and Jace is only interested in bad girls.

Because it was the payoff we wanted with none of the fat.

I also very much liked Haulti finally being a planeswalker who can experience the wonder and thrill of it. Been missing that.

Because the demon is leading the Cabal who are taking over Dominaria. Old man Gideon will sigh, shake his head and then do what must be done.

Aetherborn are treated so weirdly in the fiction. You've got a species that is universally black-aligned in the game, a people with very short lifespans who are apontaneously generated as an unwanted byproduct of a plane's runaway use of magitek. And yet every one of them that we see acts 100% white, voluntarily adopting other aetherborn into what are effectively tight-knit families, sharing everything they have with strangers they never asked for, and unbelievably chill about dying and about being a forgettable cog in a machine. That's white behavior. Aetherborn should be mean fuckers, almost universally homeless, whose every act rages against the dying of the light, the embodiment of a plane's sins coming home to roost. Honestly that's what I thought "Aether Revolt" was going to mean.

Huatli and Saheeli are autism buddies. Angrath finds his kids. Vraska is gonna kill Jarad. Jace is with Gideon aboard something fast.

It was confirmed that they're riding around on the original Weatherlight, which they found the wreckage of and will rebuild during most of the story events leading up to Dominaria.

>Jace is only interested in bad girls.
>She was remarkable.
>And she thought he was, too.
YOU WASH THAT DIRTY MOUTH OF YOURS!!

Hold up now. Wasn't the Weatherlight completely liquefied when the Legacy Weapon went off? It's a bit generous that even Karn survived.

>It was confirmed that they're riding around on the original Weatherlight

She's a bad girl in the good sense user.

Do you really care? It's the Weatherlight, that's more than enough to get the Vorthos folks to freak out and hope they get a playable version of the card.

Angrath's kids are still alive, and they're not even old. He was really not stuck on Ixalan for very long. It's weird that Chandra's mom is still only maybe in her 50's, too. The time scale of all the nu-walkers' backstories is weirdly short.

Honestly, when all is said and done Ixalan's tribes melded pretty damn organically in the story. I was worried that the whole "DINOS VS PIRATES LOL XDDD" meme was going to end up feeling forced.

Their blackness is their devotion to themselves. its quite obvious in the fact, they literally try to enjoy life as much as they can. Everything else is an after thought. Also, being color aligned doesn't mean you are a caricature of that color, and literally only ever think in the way of that color.

You can see the difference in Yaheeni, and Gonti.

Yaheeni felt much more red than black.

And Jace and Gideon are gonna be brolifting.

well, red and black are both allies, and also share similarities between them.

He is still more bearable than Chandra.

Being all about yourself is incompatible with embracing the doctrine of adopting every single orphan who appears in your neighborhood and sharing all your stuff with them. Black is the color of "fuck you, got mine."

I actually don't need it to be good, just flavorfull af. 6, Skyship Weatherlight, Legendary Artifact - Vihicle, */1+*, Skyship Weatherlight gets +*/+* for each legendary permanent you control. When Skyship Weatherlight enters the battlefield you may search your library for a legendary permanent card, reveal it, and put into your hand. Shuffle your library. 6: Exile Skyship Weatherlight. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.

Huh. Otaria is not the place I'd have expected them to focus on for Dominaria. Like... not even close.

Sure it is. Its someone to carry on Your legecy. And its not like you need your shit once you die

Other things in the podcast were match over a guardian angel of the weatherlight named Tianna (?) who has something to do with a vampire, so presumably the Windgrace family is still around and we're getting a Crovax/Selenia expy

Add the Crew mechanic and the flavor might work.

Tbh, I would appreciate much more if it was the Predator whose repairs Venser started were finished by Karn.

He spent 14 years in Ixalan

You're right
>Crew 3
Also needs Flying

>io9.gizmodo.com/scifi-author-martha-wells-is-bringing-magic-the-gather-1822976803
They're not going to focus on just Otaria. In the article Wells says that the Cabal, under the leadership of Belzenlok, has come back to power and is now spreading across the world.

Now that Ixalan is finished, how would you rate it?

>None of her tamales had made it through the journey (they had crumbled to an inedible dust somewhere in the metaphysical space between Ixalan and here)

Does that mean that you cant bring food with you during travels? The security got tighter after Karn fuck up.

The actual plot, 6/10
JacexVraska 10/10

He's great as a support character, when he's not the focus of the story. But i guess that even as the focus, he's probably the most bearable of them, yes.

Because Angrath was the best written character in the story for Ixalan Block. The simplicity of his quest allowed us to sympathize with his plight in a way that the rest of the characters could never have done. We are invested in what he does next now because they did just enough to make him a likable, decent character.

Now why this was so hard for them to do with their main cast is even more baffling than before.

>you cant bring food
This is why Bolas's ultimate plan is the interplanar BBQ franchise with the Amonkhet zombies as staff. He's gonna be rich af.

And when you're alive? I don't think you or I would appreciate the sudden arrival of penniless hangers-on in our homes.

Caring about one's legacy is just as white-aligned as caring about who gets your stuff after you die. What use do the dead have for praise, and what fear do they have of infamy?

"They" has also been in-use this way for centuries colloquially.

Maybe more time passed during the trip than she thought? It's called the Blind Eternities, after all.

How would the story have went if another faction would have won. Obviously, they would all have wanted to invade Torrezon

Still seems like a weird thing to being back. Why the Cabal? I never got the impression they were an iconic villain or anything. Are there really no other Dominaria exclusive villains? I really dont remember off the top of my head.

Colors would make more sense if they represented only the means instead of the ideals. People of certain ideals would be drawn to those means, like people who like nature would be drawn to powers related to growth, people who want knowledge would be drawn to powers related to acquiring it, etc.
And then there could be those who didn't choose their powers at all. Like, if you're born a goblin you're red no matter what, if you're a vampire you're black no matter what.

It didn't live up to my expectations in terms of the main plot, but it was a hell of a lot better than the last few blocks overall:

PROS
>Huatli and Angrath are both solid characters in their own right and I want to see what's next for them.
>Vraska got some much-needed and well-handled character development.
>They actually made me care about Jace for once.

CONS
>The tribes got uneven amounts of development.
>Azor was done away with rather quickly.
>What the hell happened to the Elder Dinosaurs besides Zacama?

All said, 8/10, my favorite story arc post-Origins by a country mile.

>Are there really no other Dominaria exclusive villains?
Aside from Bolas? None that should still be alive after the Phyrexian invasion and the events from Time Spiral. As I understand it Otaria was mostly spared of all this so it kinda makes sense that the new threat comes from there.

>recalling the great bbq discussion from a few weeks back
It was glorious.

In retrospect I really should have screencapped that. Oh well

It's gotta be archived somewhere...

Actually youre right, I remember it being specifically said Otaria avoided the Phyrexian invasion. When you put it like that, the Cabal being the ones to move in on the power vacuum makes a lot of sense.

Probably nothing "living" (or perhaps "organic") besides the walker themselves. So clothes and such come with you, because they are't organic as such, but an apple is gonna get dusted.

>Their eyes went wide. The one on the right snorted in shock. The other's ears stood up in surprise.
>The one on the right sniffed the air and trembled with emotion. "Father?"
>Steam softly hissed where Angrath's tears met his skin. He smiled.
>"Rumi. Jamira. I'm home."

Best boy.

>The bright, brilliant goodness of Gideon shone across the Blind Eternities like a searchlight, so Jace decided to aim for that.
No homo?

>random mortal trains really hard and defeats elder dragon oldwalker at the apex of his power
>5 neowalkers together can't even scratch him in his weakened neowalker state
Uhhh lorefags?

Did any of those planeswalkers have a sword? No.

There you go.

She likes anal?

Dude, come on. This is the guy who shares the same family name as Toshiro, who wielded one of the most powerful weapons in all of Magic.

>yfw when after the cut-away Rumi explodes in anger
>"Why did you leave us?! How could you?!! Did you even care about what would happen to us?!"
>"B-but.. It wasn't my fault.. Rumi, Jamira, I love you. Why are you mad? Where's your mother?"
>Jamira, who had been silent so far explodes in tears and runs away crying.
>yfw mother died of a pestilence and they had to fend for themselves barely getting by.
>yfw they hate Angrath for leaving and blame them for moms death because things might have been different had he been there.

Jaya and Chandra in the same plane is going to be the ultimate cringefest.

So I don’t know her works personally, A look on her Twitter does have me conserned. But at the end of the day all that matters is that characters are not one note reddit inserts

Japs get massive boosts when they train hard, user. Ever seen Dragon Ball?

Bolas was tapped and he had UBBR available

Tetsuo defeated Bolas by being cunning, not with brute force.

Oldwalkers had a weakness: surprise. They're tough by virtue of being able to heal themselves with a thought, so you've got to take out their brains before they're aware of what's happening. Human Yawgmoth took out an oldwalker with nothing but a knife. This is why Bolas makes a point of.never being surprised.

Otaria should be full of nothing but slivers after the failure of the Riptide Project though, right?