What would life be like to live in the Roman Empire?

What would life be like to live in the Roman Empire?

Is there anywhere that it's been accurately represented?

What kinds of quests would adventurers in a setting based on it go on?

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/28789711-spqr
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)
pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=6nI50SHwHCQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You mean in a fantasy version of Rome right?

>What would life be like to live in the Roman Empire?
Read a book
>Is there anywhere that it's been accurately represented?
READ A BOOK

Yes, duh

But it's so much easier to ask other people who have read those books what they think. How else will they usefully contribute to society?

Ten minutes on wikipedia will tell you everything you need to know and more.
Also Lovecraft's Roman dream is still one of the greatest campaign hooks of all time.

Which books?

Can someone tell me what the text in this image says?
Oh, you can? Then you're a NERD.

Codex Alera is literallyfantasy Rome but with pokemon/elemental bending

You're probably best of asking the Greeks, they larped as Romans for more than 800 years.

I've been advised goodreads.com/book/show/28789711-spqr by Veeky Forums around a year ago. It's interesting, also takes a look at all Roman historical periods.

>Is there anywhere that it's been accurately represented?
The Asterix comic books.
Or the Alix comic books, if you prefer seriousness and homolust

GURPS Imperial Rome

>What would life be like to live in the Roman Empire?
Could start by watching that Meet the Romans series with Mary Beard.

HBO had a series, Rome

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome_(TV_series)

It was about life of both plebeians and patricians during the reign of Ceasar, I believe...

Just 2 seasons so its totally watchable

One actress looked just like my friends mom, huge boobs and all

I will join anons recommending to read a book. Mostly I recommend reading books written not about Roman Empire, but in Roman Empire, in the period you are interested in.
Because "Roman Empire in general" is as vague as "post-15th century Russia"

There's quite a few remaining from the golden age of the Republic.
Cicero, namely his letters. While obviously biased to one guy's point of view, it's great insight on daily life in the middle-upper class of the time.
For something a bit more exciting, read about war campaigns. Try "De Bello Gallico", which is extremely simple to read and doesn't bother with any flowery descriptions. If Caesar isn't your cup of tea, there's also Sallust, although he comes off as a lot more melodramatic and traditional in his writings.

They're fun reads; the mentality of the people of those times feels both very close to ours but at the same time almost strangely alien. It's a neat dissonance.

That middle couple is into some really gay BDSM roleplay

SPQR by Mary Beard; Daily Life in Ancient Rome by Jerome Carcopino (with intro by Mary Beard). If you want RPG sourcebooks on Rome, try GURPS Imperial Rome or the Runequest add-on Rome - Life and Death in the Republic. If you want to cram up on fiction, try the Marcus Didius Falco books by Lindsey Davis or the Masters of Rome series of gigantic doorstoppers by Colleen McCullough.

Pss, user, may I interest you in some ancient shitposting?

pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti from Pompeii.htm

Gaius & Aulus, Bros 4 life

>VII.9 (Eumachia Building,via della Abbondanza); 2048: Secundus likes to screw boys.

I did latin at school. and we read some roman fantasy text about werewolves.

apparently to turn into a werewolf, the person takes off their clothes and then pisses a circle around them (I guess it's like marking your territory or something). There's also Romulus and Remus being brought up by wolves obviously.

>Transcription of the Internet Archaeological Society of a Veeky Forums 2010 thread, circa 3500 A.D.
>"The one who has created this subject of discussion is effeminate and like to have homosexual relationships."

Humanity never change.

>use the OG classical god's and hero's names
>everyone thinks they already know shit about them

>use stand ins inspired by the originals
>everything comes off as super hokey
Which one is less bad Veeky Forums?

>Lovecraft's Roman dream
Like, HP Lovecraft? I have never heard of this. Explain?

Not that user, but he's talking about a dream HPL had on Halloween, where he was a Roman official in... Hispania, IIRC. I'll check if I can find the entire story.

Bloody hell, finding it far easier than I thought.

Rome is very loosely based on history and heavily simplified for a casual audience. Still it offers a very good depiction of life in the roman empire as opposed to the white shiny marble and ordered perfection as seen in Gladiator and similar movies.

Also XIII!

I recommend looking for a PDF of this. It gives a very detailed picture of ordinary life in historical Rome but it's an RPG sourcebook rather than a history book so it's presented in an accessible way. It's almost entirely setting information, not mechanics, so you can use it with anything.

Those Basques!
>youtube.com/watch?v=6nI50SHwHCQ

>Life in a pre-antibiotics, pre-water-treatment city

You better like diarrhea and sickness, I guess?

And if you're living in Rome, you better be a thrill-seeker because Rome was about as safe as a generic african megacity.

Cthulhu Invictus has what you want.

>You better like diarrhea

Dude, the Romans got the water they used from wells and rainwater-collecting cisterns, they didn't draw it out of the Tiber. Also, the Romans knew how to boil their water: check Pliny's Natural Histories.

Plus the dangers of Rome have been greatly exaggerated: sure, there were parts where you had to watch out (the Subura, for one) but it wasn't an instant mugging the moment you stuck your nose out of the insula.

Damn, OP, now you reminded me of Nethergate.

Not exactly the most amazing game, but I loved that it had two separate stories for playing the romans or the celts, and they had their own bonuses and limitations like how celts could use magic better and could have female characters and the romans had better equipment and weapon skills.