Why does Veeky Forums hate "unrealistic armor" in fantasy settings so much?

Why does Veeky Forums hate "unrealistic armor" in fantasy settings so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

ospreypublishing.com/medieval-heraldry-36326
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Veeky Forums doesn't

we just hate YOU

Most don't care, it's just a vocal minority who do, and even then it's pretty situational.

Because it doesn't look cool enough or compliment game play enough for me to suspend my disbelief.

Veeky Forums doesn't. A lot of other RPG forums do, mainly because they're frequented by hopeless prudes and terribly insecure people mortally afraid of being perceived as juvenile.

It just looks fucking retarded, that's all.

Mainly we just hate that quality OC has been outbred by an endless tide of low-effort reposts.

What most people hate is when it's badly implemented, usually meaning cases where it violates the general aesthetic of a setting or is unevenly implemented, i.e. all women have sexy armour, all dudes have realistic armour.

I love it, but seeing it done badly or used in the wrong places really fucking annoys me.

True... I'm usually very anti-"unrealistic armor" but if it's consistently implemented I can suspend my disbelief.

TG has anti-fun anons.

This. If the sorceress can dress like a dominatrix and wield a stripper poll, I should be allowed a gimp mask and baseball bat.

well, on one side you have people saying that armor needs to at least looks like it'll offer reasonable protection (coverage). and on the other side, you have those guys that start foaming over stuff that doest look as optimized as historical suits of equipment, going as far to even call out real-life exotic but practical equipment as fantasy bullshit

But it's not fun. It's just lame.

More Knights could go around in double plus sized codpieces, too.

I don't though, unless it's literal bikini armor.

Is aesthetically ugly as fuck. More often than not, it looks like it is made of cheap and nasty plastic with neon lights attached to it.

The only weapon a grappler should ever use

Because 9 times out of 10 it looks like shit. Non-protective clothes usually at least look fashionable.

No one's posted anything worthy of being answered with this image yet, but it's only a matter of time. So I'm just going to prefire this here.

I don't really care about realism at all.

We don't. At most we hate it being inconsistent.

Because it doesn't look like something someone would actually wear, try to imagine someone in real life wearing it, it looks cartoony, plastic, and fake. I don't give a shit if all the redditors pile onto me calling me "anti-fun" it looks like shit and the genre as a whole is well beyond oversaturated with it. But no, go ahead lap up the same shit as usual because you're afraid of change.

Why does it not being something someone would wear in real life matter? The world it exists in isn't our real world.

>try to imagine someone in real life wearing it
Reality can be stranger than fiction

If it fits the tone of the setting then fine, though to be honest I'd be more accepting of it if it was based on, say, Red Sonja or Dejah Thoris rather than this cookie-cutter anime crap.

Because Veeky Forums is full of the shy nerdy guy that thinks if he's just nice enough, and acts like the total oposite of a Chad HARD ENOUGH some 7/10 will notice he's a good guy and let him have some pussy. Being that socially illeterate is what drives most people into role playing in the first place, after all.

Oh yeah, there are a few guys LARPNG as women, and one or two landwhales with tye dye hair here because they don't have to compete with good looking women for the attention of all the thirsty little nerds.

Of course, all the shitstains I just pointed out will, without fail, concern troll and claim it's just a vocal minoirty. A minority SO vocal no one is really willing to try and out argue them, so ultimately, they get to decide what gets posted on Veeky Forums. Which means that Veeky Forums really DOES hate unrealistic armor, since the shrieking harridans always get their way.

These.

are you ok?
What's wrong?
Did mom take away the xbox again?

I hate women in armor.

Besides being the only good way to identify the sex of a clothed elf I don't see why anyone would accept armor like that in their setting

Perhaps protection is largely down to magic rather than the actual function of such a shaped piece of metal and design of equipment outside of all the magic gubbins is largely fashion?

Depends on the tone of the setting.

Magic can only do so much. Eventually you'll run out of spells and an arrow will hit your leg or neck. If you're going into battle you shouldn't rely on only one thing for defense. This also goes for characters who wear full armor and don't have some kind of magical protection

It's an easy target for weak willed, lazy shitposters. Edition warring in Veeky Forums has mostly died down in the last couple of years so the anons who crave (you)s use it as easy bait. It's the same reason we keep seeing spouts of amazon and adventurer's guild posting.

In 99.9% of Veeky Forums games the way the characters look does not matter because everyone will have a different mental image of all of the characters.

Depends on the forces at play. If magic is reliable and sustainable enough, then it could be argued that anything that gets through would have pasted you anyways so you might as well keep on truckin with your colors and culture proudly displayed before you become a pile of meat.

This man is a gentleman and a scholar, and everyone on Veeky Forums should aim to be like him at least on this particular topic.

Because some people don't give enough of a shit to raise a fuss about it.

>identify the sex of a clothed elf
bulge size

user, what are you talking about?

Please go back to whichever of those four boards you came from

>unrealistic
>fantasy
Who knows....

Because it looks fucking retarded

Veeky Forums doesn't, a few autists who want to dictate terms to the board do

Why do you care? Do you need people to agree with you so you can feel validated? What a loser.

Not a hopeless prude, and rarely afraid of appearing juvenile, but most "impractical" armor either looks stupid, hugs the body so closely as to be a metal skin, or appears to be no more than jewelry. I would just as soon have characters fight nude as wear that stuff.

first two posts best two posts

You are just hilarious.

Basically Veeky Forums likes to chimp out over silly shit and pretend that acting like a pms'y 13 year old is the height of sophistication about their hobbies.

>Magic can only do so much.
Why? Magic can do as much as you want it to, it's purely fictional after all.

Because it's sex appeal and I'm not attracted to thigh-high's or boobplate nippon trash. I actually enjoy semi-realistic armor

>tags: irrumatio, all_the_way_through

Why arent men wearing metal bikinis too? Think of the amount of metal that you are saving!

But it is ugly as fuck. This is objective truth.

It looks ugly and retarded and only hopeless weebs like you like it
Next question?

underrated post, holy shit.

Because it looks fucking stupid.

Nice try

Bullshit, we like OP.

Serious answer: it's a purity Test just like "Tolkien races only" and "have you tried not playing dnd"

It's literaly fa/tg/uys virtue signaling each other how "mature" they are about their play pretend and doll painting hobbies

>we

We don't, but soyboys and proto-soyboys sure seemed to get their panties in a twist over it

it doesn't.
It's retarded to get up in arms over something like that, and you would only ever do it if you wanted to troll on the internet.

Though, I tend to fall in the opposite of bikini armor when it comes to unrealistic armor. The unrealistic armor I use makes gundam noises, shoots steam, and has a red glowing visor despite being just normal platemail.

I never understood why other boards use "soyboy" as an insult.
All I think of when I think of soy is shadowrun and cyberpunk dystopias. It seems like you have to be way outside of the Veeky Forums headspace to think of anything BUT science fiction first when you hear the word "soy".

I can only conclude it's because they are trying to link it to some real world group nobody cares about, instead of the cyberpunk we crave.

All I can think of is the one time a PC took a Soy Allergy in Shadowrun (Since it does say more and more people are getting allergic to it) and ended up with their character missing a chunk of a run vomiting because they didn't tell the other PCs and let the rigger grab food for the stakeout.

Right?
Whenever anyone brings up soyboy, I just start thinking about shadowrun, and get mad at them for not talking about shadowrun. Or at least cyberpunk 2020.
Though, I've never had soy used as an allergy by my characters. Though one was allergic to shellfish. They had to avoid most protein-packed foods, and stick entirely with the fungus based stuff.

I have fond memories of that run due to just how much of a shitshow it was.

>Street Sam Glitches a grenade into himself and the ninja.
>Mage is busy vomiting in the rented apartment for the stakeout.
>Rigger manages to locate the data server we need but finding the important data will take a while so he gets one of his drones to unplug the server and take it to the car...while he was still hotsimming inside the sever and nearly knocks himself out with the dumpshock.

It's always weird when the players manage to provide the run fuckup themselves.
I mean, it's important to design a way for every run to go sideways as a shadowrun GM, what do you do if your players decide to up and murder themselves with dumpshock and allergies?
I guess the reasonable thing to do is save the specific method of going sideways for another run, unless it really needs to happen on THIS run. In which case, well, players have edge, and this is the only time I'll be able to run this scenario, so why not.

>Shadowrun setting.
>Soyboy becomes has been a term for an insult for quite a while thanks to a popular web forum.
>It has naturally evolved and reemerged with the popularization of industrialized soy products.
>Grocery clerks are called soyboys with a hint of ironic fear as you really never know if the product if soy or something much worse.

And that goes into the setting.

We managed to survive it. Somehow. The worst one I've seen as a GM was:

>Hey, you guys didn't take out the cameras. Can you guys describe to me what facial coverings you were wearing so I can make a police report for the news?
>Oh, I wasn't wearing any.
>...You burned two security guards to death with incendiary grenades. Who were surrendering.
>Yeah, now they know I mean business! This will be great for my reputation.

A shitfit was then thrown by that player when 'For no reason' a drone found him in his civilian life and started firebombing him later. That guy didn't stay in the game long. I mean, all he needed to do was make something up like a balaclava or a scarf, I wasn't trying to catch people out with 'Haha, you never put a mask on your sheet!'.

>Look at this soyboy, he can afford to not eat devil rat and shit in the street!

>Not deliberately going for the green soy for the extra protein and T-boost

Case in pointSay what you will about them but you can always count on Anons that think their opinion is fact to provide handy examples when you need them.

Do Witch Elves count?

I like consistency in a setting: either every wears silly/sexy armor, or nobody does. What I especially dislike are excuses or "justifications" for sexy armor, very common on the Red Sonja types. It is ok to find find the human form appealing you can admit it you know.

t. gaping mouth numale

>Same series
>Exact opposite opinion from one comic to another
I'm sure it happens all the time, new writers and junk, but I've never actually seen it side by side until now.

wot?

two different characters expressing those opinions doesn't really make it feel weird to me

Judging by the frogmouth helmet, that's a set of tournament gear.

but paper crest to show how big his dick is aside, that's 100% functional and not particularly strange.

Personally fine with it, depending on the tone of the setting.

In Exalted, I'd want to wear something functionally ridiculous but aesthetically cool - wuxia meets Arabian Nights. In a JRPG fantasy world, my pegasus knight could wear a bit of token armor and a fluttery mini skirt, no problem, but I'd probably be uncomfortable with a knight with no thigh or arm protection, even if it were just leather. If I played Torchlight, though, I'd probably want to go for something quite realistic. Etc.

Since I like drawing stuff that skews towards the more fantastic, that's generally the type of game I'm attracted to. I'm not a huge fan of boob plate, but I think it has its place. I can respect the accuracy nerds, as historical movies often make me flip tables when I see costume pieces out of the era - so I get it. I just prefer my fantasy to be more fantastic.

Thanks for sharing, looks like an interesting book. ospreypublishing.com/medieval-heraldry-36326

A lot of us whack it to Hema a little too much to suspend our disbelief. Sometimes it's just fucking stupid looking, like chainmail bikinis and the like.

To be fair, that massive fish is probably so others can recognize him without seeing his face. Which makes me wonder why fiction in general doesn't do this and instead opts to go with "all plot-essential characters don't wear helmets" instead. Medieval man also felt the need to recognize certain important people, which is why kings and nobles has uniquely stylized helmets, surcoats et cetera.

If Lord Fishface shows up on the field of battle, the giant fish on his face should comfort his allies and make his enemies tremble.

It depends on HOW it's impractical, as well. Impractical because of washing-machine shoulders? Ugly as sin. Impractical because random boobplate or chainmail bikinis? Overplayed and not sexy to begin with.

Impractical because of crazy stylised lion helms? Weird impractical facemasks? Whatever, it's cool visual design.

Not to mention they're designed to easily tear away without impeding the head or getting caught on shit.

Anyways the simplest answer as to why fiction doesn't usually mess around with heraldry is because the people making it don't know about it.

People need to understand that unpractical does not mean unrealistic.

The one in favour of uninformed opinions is crealy satire

Depends on the setting.
Personally, I think it looks dumb ass hell and limits the players' already limited imagination. I'm more of a armorfag but, again, up to you.

An incomprensible strawman, linked to soyboys, whence the insult is allegedly about you being too easy to excite with "lowbrow hivemind pop-culture." Don't bother asking them to stop trying to give themselves a colonoscopy with their own heads, and explain what is it all about: they'll just call you a cuck/soyboy/bugman/SJW/libtard-turd-liburul/ nu-male/balless for whatever reason.

Unrealistic armor can be dope. Issue is that a lot of skimpy armor clashes with the general aesthetic of everything else around it and it winds up looking shitty and out of place.

Settings need to learn to embrace the cheesecake or leave it at the door if they want to be gritty and serious; it takes a very competent art director to do both.

To be fair is there anything Souls didn't knock out of the park

Besides the 2nd half of the game

Because Veeky Forums is just as contrarian as the rest of 4chen despite it liking to portray itself as being normiecore.

If any idea gets sufficiently popular enough, Veeky Forums will hate it, embrace a completely contrarian stance and once that position gets traction, start to hate it too and dump it in favour of earlier held opinions.
Cheesecake and animu-armor were popular before so we started to hate it in favour of "realistic armor" but now the armor-fags have been annoying as fuck for quite some time, so we want animu-armor and chainmal-bikinis back.

I have been here for 11 years, this shit simply works in cycles.

>desperately listing all those SJW-approved boogyman-boards because someone offended your Reddit-sensibilities

(You)

No (you)