So I've been a part of several long-running games and everyone here on Veeky Forums has reacted strangely

So I've been a part of several long-running games and everyone here on Veeky Forums has reacted strangely.
>Cyberpunk 2020 since 1998
>AD&D campaign since 1996
>D&D 3.0 that morphed into 3.5 and then Pathfinder since 2010
>assorted Warhammer Fantasy roleplaying game scenarios off and on since 2001 but no consistent plot
For me, this is normal. I've been a part of the same gaming group since high school. We've all had our ups and downs, but every wednesday and Sunday we get together and game.
Yet Veeky Forums seems baffled that this would be so. Why?
Also, along the way I'll be posting pictures of girls in armor, just because.

>Yet Veeky Forums seems baffled that this would be so. Why?
a) You've been in games for longer than some people on this board have been alive. Your AD&D game is old enough to drink.
b) Many people on Veeky Forums don't actually have IRL groups. Some have never even played a tabletop game before.

Personally, the strangest thing I find about your story is that you've managed to only play four systems (I would probably get bored of playing the same systems) and have kept at the same campaign for so long. In my mind, that's way too long for a campaign or a single story, so I hope you've had many different stories in those systems.

You must also live in a very stable place and have very stable friends because it's hard to keep a physical group together for so long. People tend to move around for work and such, so it's crazy to think that you and your group have stayed together for so long.

Where do you live user? I've been playing since 1998, but there is only one player who's still with me from back in the day, and he wasn't even in the first group. People have come and gone, and games too.

>a) You've been in games for longer than some people on this board have been alive.
That's sort of distressing, but unsurprising.
>Personally, the strangest thing I find about your story is that you've managed to only play four systems
I only listed the long-running campaigns for the sake of this thread. We've tried out a number of systems for side games, but they don't typically last very long.
>and have kept at the same campaign for so long.
In each of these games we've invested a lot of time in developing characters and the worlds they move through. Old characters become legends, new characters become heroes, legends rise and fall, so on and so forth. We keep coming back to these worlds because we all enjoy being part of an epic. Also, one of the players takes the scenarios and module sessions and writes them out as fiction when we're done.
>You must also live in a very stable place and have very stable friends because it's hard to keep a physical group together for so long. People tend to move around for work and such, so it's crazy to think that you and your group have stayed together for so long.
Some players have come and gone, and others have moved, but they still join in via teamspeak.

>Where do you live user?
Right now I'm in colorado. I usually end up moving every two years for work related reasons, but we all still stay in contact.

Well that's pretty cool, congrats to you. You must have a very good group to remain friends for so long. That's probably the most unusual thing of all.

>You must have a very good group to remain friends for so long.
A few of the originals have left, but seven of us are still at it. 3 women, four men. We get along.

okay, I'm spent. Thanks Veeky Forums.

How long has your group stayed with the same characters in the AD&D campaign?

>How long has your group stayed with the same characters in the AD&D campaign?
Oh, we've cycled through a great many characters. we've just been building out the world. In world timeline we've gone through about 3,000 years. New continents, new countries, et cetera.

Because it is not the typical experience. We're jealous.
You have a good thing and I, at least, am happy for you,

So it's not the same campaign

Just the same setting

Do you guys all fuck each other in the ass after the game or what

Because most people on Veeky Forums are asocial messes that haven't played a campaign longer than three sessions (if at all).

Not baffled. I know that the group I left in 2003 still exists and continues playing. But they are metalfags and nerds which I couldn't stand anymore after I left puberty.

Current group has been the same since 2009, but we've never played a single setting for more than a year on a bi-weekly basis since I (foreverDM) tend to find endings when I get bored. We've revisited some of those worlds with timejumps a few years later though.

Because scheduling is a bitch when someone gets a job at a startup with bullshit hours and it's hard to keep groups together when everyone moves somewhere else.

Oh I don't know OP, i came to Roleplaying afew , like 3-4 years ago, and have been playing with the same group of people since.
The World goes on with every campaign, reuccuring NPCs (and sometimes PCs). It's just normal for me and I would not want to have it any other way.
My GM will move in, expectely a year but its still reachable so driving 1,5 hours once in a weekend (1-2 times am month) seems alright for such a good game.