How do you feel about D&D becoming cool because of the Netflix series Stranger Things?

How do you feel about D&D becoming cool because of the Netflix series Stranger Things?

I'll just get it off now
>mutt

I don't think it's becoming cool. I think more people know about it, though.

I've had a normie friend bug me to play and when I let him in on a session he was like "THIS is dungeons and dragons?"

>D&D becoming cool

Nothing that involves imagination will ever be cool.

I managed to get my normalfag friends into D&D because of this series.

I have no regrets. I groomed them into great players.

The current Season 2 (1984) party:
Mike - Paladin
Will - Cleric
Lucas - Ranger
Dustin - Bard
Eleven - Mage
Max - Zoomer

I don't actually know anyone who watches this, even though I hear e-celebs mention it all the time.

Indifferent

one of my """grognard""" friends was the person that recommended it to me
while watching it other then the kids referencing it some times it really was not related to dnd at all

Well, it's not about nerds playing dnd, it's about dnd nerds saving the world. They're only seen playing the game a few times, but they use it to make sense of everything happening to them. For example, they figure out the Upside Down because they know about the Vale of Shadows.

On a comment on some news talking that Volo's Guide was coming out I saw some guy talking about how he stopped playing d&d because they keep adding these weird monsters like the Beholder thing, because at his time all he fought all day long was demogorgons like the series.

He was really trying to make himself pass as an old player while failing to recognize one of the most iconic monsters in the game.

15.8 million people watched S02E01 within the first 3 days of availability. It's pretty close to Walking Dead in regards to viewers.

It's awful and normies must be kept out at all costs

Nah but seriously though, it's a good thing. Gets more money into the hobby and even if 9/10ths of the players are shitty and wind up being fairweather the remains are still worth it

He also showed he didn't pay close attention to the show. The monster wasn't ever meant as literally the Demogorgon from D&D. Eleven just pointed at Mike's mini because she didn't know how to articulate the concept of "monster".

D&D is garbage but maybe if we're lucky a percent of a percent of those people will take enough of an interest in roleplaying to look into other games and move on to something that's actually good.

Ack-chu-ah-lee
Mike - DMPC Paladin
Will - Wizard (Will the wise)
Lucas - Ranger
Dustin - Cleric
Eleven - Mage
Max - Zoomer (rogue?)

Ah, no. D&D 5e started getting popular, which means all the autistic writers(I'm not joking here, the actual number of film and tv writers who are on the spectrum is astounding) who actually played D&D could start adding in the concept to their projects post-2013.
This in turn got more people interested which provided publicity, thus feeding the cycle.
As for everyone else here that's whining about D&D being shit... yeah, I wish the game was more deadly and tackled a wider margin of genres than it does. However most of not all complaints can be simplified to "D&D 5e doesn't support the campaigns I want to run."

I think it's a decent way to get newbies interested, especially since a lot of people may be legitimately interested yet can't find a group, and this may be the "thing" that gets them involved.

this is gold, that'd be like someone thinking that Melf's Acid Arrow or Magic Missile was "some bullshit new 5e spell".

I never understood wtf the difference between Mage and Wizard is, other than the fact that Eleven could rage over a nat1 and kill any of them with her brain.

Zoomer best class. Also, Dustin has to be given a retroactive, anachronistic Druid level

>if I keep spamming this, people might not treat me like a fucking loser

Sorry, loser.

On one hand, having more people to play with who aren't necessarily neckbeards is always great.

On the other hand, that means more kids who think all of Veeky Forums is /b/ will come here and shit up Veeky Forums further.

Either way, whatever happens, happens.

I never run D&D for ANYONE new ever since TBBT covered it. Whoever is willing to try something else is welcome at my table.
I've found that's a good way to separate memekids from people with genuine potential.

Which D&D monster(s) do you think will get top billing in season 3?

I hope it gets people into B/X which is pretty much the best edition of D&D put to print. It does more in 70 pages than so many RPGs do in several hundred over several volumes.

B/X and the 1e DMG has pretty much all you need for a good campaign.

What is a "Mage," exactly? I'm only familiar with Wizard, Sorcerer, and Warlock as far as pure caster classes go.

Lich, I hope.

Imagine for a second if it was Runequest instead of D&D

'Mage' and 'Magic-User' were used at the time to sidestep cultural connotations. There was more stress on settings or individual campaigns to introduce that sort of specific flavor.

>the first season they call a mindflayer-like thing 'the demogorgon'
>second season they call a demogorgon-like thing a mindflayer
Whatever it is they'll get it a little bit wrong and it'll bother the piss out of me.

>Normies, reeee
Fuck off

They called the first monster a Demogorgon because that was what killed Will's in-game character hours before he disappeared IRL. They called the big monster a Mind Flayer because it was controlling Will's mind.

Of course I understand that, but it still irks me a bit. Just one of those little things.

It's not cool to normies still. It's just more accessible to the wider nerd community , such as the Vidya , cape shit and anime fags, who didn't give it a chance in the past

I was talking to my normie work mates about how cool D&D being in stranger things was and they said 'oh was that the game they were playing'..

tfw no stranger things game

Would that even be legal?

>because of ST

nigga ST just rode the wave that was allredy there

>Stranger Things?
Less annoying than assholes who think it is cool because some nerd blackface told them it was.

There's DEFINITELY a homebrew that works for ST, Small Towns I think it's called? I feel like that's wrong but I don't have access to my comp right now.

How do you feel that it won't become cool and people will just see it as an old "80's" thing?

>Max - Zoomer

Cavalier.

>Max - Zoomer (rogue?)

Max is cool in meatspace, but if she kept that up, she'd be absolute cancer in a dnd game

Little fear. Much more horror-fantasy than sf tough.

Plus it actually predates the show.

I dunno after she scared the shit out of her asshole big brother I'd say "Barbarian."

I think it's good. Most people think it's dumb anyways but we've managed to get some really nice players thanks to the fact that more people are aware of what it is, they saw us playing and wanted to join.

I find "normies" who genuinely want to try the game are actually easier to play with, they are more focused on roleplay, they actually play out their characters, they don't build the most edgy shit imaginable and they want to experience the adventure rather than fuss over rules and argue over bullshit. Ofc if you try to force someone into playing and enjoying the game when they're not that into it, it's going to backfire so if I invite someone who doesn't play, I only do it once to check if they might be interested.

In my experience, lots of the veteran players will throw tantrums over rules, spend tons of time discussing optimal builds during session, metagame like crazy and then scold people for metagaming and they will spend crazy amounts of time haggling over pretend money instead of actually trying to progress the story. Last game 2 of these veteran players were throwing tantrum over in-game money for like 15 minutes while the "normies", that Veeky Forums likes to shit on so much, were rightly telling them that it's pretend fucking money and that they wanted to go on with the adventure.

This, Jesus Christ.