Why is the RPG """"""industry"""""" so incestuous and neptositc?

Why is the RPG """"""industry"""""" so incestuous and neptositc?
Did anyone earn their jobs in RPGs or is it all people hiring their friends, then hiring their own friends once they're established?

Doesn't anyone pound the pavement and put in applications for these goddamn companies

Why would you not hire your friends? Far better to employ someone whose strengths and weaknesses you know than an unknown who sent you a letter saying they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Do you have any statistics to back up your claims?

Because this is in an industry entirely founded by fat nerds playing games with their friends in their mothers basement well into their thirties.

And the fun fact of it is, it works.

ANY TIME anyone from outside that background has gotten involved it has all turned to fucking shit. Look at what happened with TSR.

>you are a rpg nerd that wants to make a rpg
>you have a few freinds whith who you play and who you know
>you decide to make the rpg with them because it's always good to have more people on the team
>your rpg sells well
>you and your freinds are making money of it
>you and your freinds know what you want to do with said game, what expansions you want to add and how 2e will look
>some randome asshole off the streat dose not know that

This is why

Try "Any industry ever"

People will always hire their family and friends first regardless of the industry. How do you think politicians do business?

Your application got rejected, huh?

This. My first job ever was in fast food and the manager of the place I worked was the son of the owner, a fatass, borderline illeterate, piece of shit that sat in his office playing Xbox Live and telling us to tell customers he wasn't here whenever anyone had a complaint. I think the most work he ever did was putting on his uniform (when he decided to even show up, that is) because he sure as hell didn't do anything to "earn" the position.

>neptositc

Right this very instant you can self publish for almost no investment on RPGdrivethru, the industry is easier to break into than almost any other hobby industry.
Unless you mean big established companies like WotC or White Wolf, on which case, why would you want to? Is there ANY big RPG publisher that doesn't sound like it's team is packed with old blood who couldn't give less of a shit about their jobs?

It's a job based on a hobby and personal passion. If I wanted to hire random strangers basing the decision purely on business sense, their technical competence and potential profits for me and/or the company, I'd drop the thing and go work in a corp. Same shit, better money.

tip top old chum

>Doesn't anyone pound the pavement and put in applications for these goddamn companies
Why the fuck would you want to? The pay is absolute shit, literally the only reason anyone does it is for fun and to make friends.

>Doesn't anyone pound the pavement and put in applications for these goddamn companies

People who have what it takes to write roleplaying games typically have better opportunities.

Wait, if the RPG industry isn't an industry what would it be? It literally produces a tradable good. Save your quotes for consulting or something.

Yes. They write their own game.

Businessmen are literally the lowest form of trash masquerading as humans and risking letting one in is why we got D&D 3.0/3.5 as a thing, so yeah. Let's not involve standard business practices.

What industry isn't? Why do you think Jews are overrepresented in the media? They're all buddies to eachother one way or another. Or look at French politics and media. You'd think the French Revolution ended their nobility, but you'd be surprised by the number of de This or de That families still clearly in charge. Or the fact that a lot of French military bigwigs are conservative Catholics, and not because Catholicism is inherently militant. Show me one industry without nepotism and I'll show you an industry not worth shit.

I expected it the moment I saw the OP, but I still smiled.

Keep in mind that you can probably count companies that can actually afford to hire people for full-time RPG development jobs on one hand.

Also wasn't there a kerfuffle at some point in the past where GW found out that UK law meant freelancers get to keep their intellectual property which lead them going ultra corporate about things? Companies staying small and a bit nepotistic are probably the best for creativity unfortunately OP

Well, if a company is privately owned is there really something wrong with that? I mean if you hire your relative and he's a retard you are just hurting your own business.

Of course if it's publicly owned it is something else entirely.

1) that's terror

That Loren Coleman was able to raid company coffers for a new porch while Shadowrun freelancers didn't get paid and get awards in spite of this clusterfuck.

Or modern WotC or modern GW or modern Paizo or...

Yes. The problem is that they stopped letting gamers hire gamers and moved towards literal Mossad agents hiring each other to ruin your hobbies as another psyop.