Given the fact that the human body is entirely inadequate in regards to living in zero g for significant periods of...

Given the fact that the human body is entirely inadequate in regards to living in zero g for significant periods of time what if humanity set itself apart from whatever alien races exist by being the most chromed out of everyone else on the block?

From birth we have various sorts of cybernetic modifications that allow us to move between earth like conditions and zero g environments minimizing the negative effects of doing so and even though some humans go a bit crazier than others with their modifications we still recognize each other and ourselves as humans in spite of this.

I like this idea: humanity is the underdog as it’s not nearly as ready for space, but there’s also the element of otherness that t creates in others. Humanity would basically be the borg.

The first thing that came to mind was Ghost in the shell/Battle Angel so you'd see some pretty crazy body tytpes but they are, for all intents and purposes, human.

I mean, it's not like we aren't heading in that direction already.
Geriatrics with pacemakers, prosthetics, hearing aids, and metal hip replacements are indisputable cyborgs. Exo-skeleton tech is actively being developed by the military because of how promising it is, even just for labour. We are going to see humanity's life expectancy go up by centuries, but that'll primarily be because of slowly replacing more and more failing systems with artificial replacements. I reiterate, we are already doing this, all we need are ways to improve the brain to prevent dementia and other age-related mental health problems. The AdMech are actually one of the most likely paths for humanity to take in the next few thousand years.

That and expanding into space is only natural because one planet isn't big enough for semi immortal people to live on with new people being born who'll never have a chance at positions of power because some asshole has held it for some 200 years.

I think this would also go into not having some unified humanity as well with so many different groups carving out space for themselves and building their own little empires.

What kind of aliens would we be dealing with that would be naturally adept at space? Maybe some kind of aquatic alien? Space Dolphins?

Personal craft would just be up scaled power armor or mecha

>Given the fact that the human body is entirely inadequate in regards to living in zero g for significant periods of time what if humanity set itself apart from whatever alien races exist by being the most chromed out of everyone else on the block?

Why would the other Aliens races be any more or less adapted to us in zero gravity? Like, to justify 'us' being so specialized.

Also, it'd be way easier and less invasive to just wear a gravity pressure suit or some kind of muscle stimulating thing that prevents atrophy from the lack of gravity.

Maybe it’s like Freeza: a being from race that can survive both space and atmosphere

A possible way is that all other alien races, through chance or design, decide that the best way to adapt to space-faring life was through genetic manipulation with mechanical supports i.e. pressure suits.
The portion of their races which desire mechanical substitution are firmly in the minority.

And then comes humanity. An entire race that has almost abandoned its homeworld in favour of fracturing across the stars. As well as freefalling into cyborgization.

Entire courses will be developed, entire journals dedicated, new fields of study created all on why this single race thought the best way to explore space was to break into splinter-factions whilst replacing their organic parts with manufactured ones. What the fuck happened to them to make them go against what appears to be a galactic constant?

And the unsatisfying, yet truthful, answer will always be, "Sometimes, shit happens. And we respond as best as we can to it. And sometimes, our best is sub-optimal."

So they might be put off that humanity decided to dash in several directions all at one as opposed to moving as one sort of.

The other alien races don't have to be mono-cultured or anything (given what you said) but certainly the idea of humanity fucking off and being as fractured as it is by choice would probably put them off

>The other alien races don't have to be mono-cultured or anything (given what you said) but certainly the idea of humanity fucking off and being as fractured as it is by choice would probably put them off

Interesting, we came to similar ideas/conclusions about human development.

>Entire courses will be developed, entire journals dedicated, new fields of study created all on why this single race thought the best way to explore space was to break into splinter-factions whilst replacing their organic parts with manufactured ones. What the fuck happened to them to make them go against what appears to be a galactic constant?

I don't know why but reading that part made me think of a mass effect fanfic I read where some Turian is talking about how he's a sort of expert on humans given how much he's been around them and remarks on how femshep paints her lips red to represent the blood she's spilled in battle or something like that.

Maybe aliens evolved to be extremely resistant to invasive parasites and other body horrors, but as a side effect they have little to no way to cybernetically enhance themselves; humans on the other hand did not evolve this way so all sorts of modification can happen and needs to just to match their alien peers who have mastered exoskeleton technology and other related fields.

My thinking on the matter is that you have so many people who are afraid of the idea of a one world government or something like that. Let's say we had a situation like that that helped initially to push us into space but then fell apart spectacularly because of reasons. Perhaps the aliens have had a similar deal but they have a culture that's amenable to the idea even if their groups are soverign.

I mean, how many sci-fi movie/books/whatever posit humanity being some united force and everyone having a somewhat similar attitude and outlook enforced by this rather than one group going off to form !Roman Empire, Another group going off to be the libertarian paradise they always wanted to be and another group ruled quite literally by a theocracy?

Mine came about from trying to write a Mass Effect/Naruto crossover years back. Each of the Ninja nations had developed enough to attain space flight and have been at war against eachother for so long that coming together as one people is utterly inconceivable.

Needless to say thaey did not take to the "One ambassador per species" idea fondly.

I'm trying to reconcile the idea of naruto and mass effect in my mind and I can't make it work. Regardless, I get the idea.

I mean, I'd be pretty pissed off if my Corporate Democracy wouldn't be recognized unless we shared political space with some fascist empire building sort with a god complex. How dare you think just because they call themselves human that we have or want anything to do with them.

>I'm trying to reconcile the idea of naruto and mass effect in my mind and I can't make it work. Regardless, I get the idea.

I can understand, I gave up trying to come up with reasons why the ninjas WOULDN'T stop the rest of the ME factions. When your military/populace is nothing but magic wielding nigh-demigods what will stop you.

>I mean, I'd be pretty pissed off if my Corporate Democracy wouldn't be recognized unless we shared political space with some fascist empire building sort with a god complex. How dare you think just because they call themselves human that we have or want anything to do with them.

Exactly, none of this "One species One Govt." That's how the Star League in BT happened and look what they did to the Taurians.

Earth is juuust barely small enough for space-flight to take place, if the planet were any larger, we'd be ground-bound. Any aliens we encounter almost certainly evolved in smaller planets with lesser gravity, and would be therefore be better adapted to zero-g. As much as I dislike the subgenre, here's a HFY image that better explains the point with mathematics and citations. If there's one thing our species has that no other space-faring race does, it's our homeworld's gravity.

>Exactly, none of this "One species One Govt." That's how the Star League in BT happened and look what they did to the Taurians.

I just read up about them and how they fell apart as well. Figures I suppose. It could be another point that puts off the aliens is that humanity is seen as unreliable because our power structures change so drastically and often. One minute you have to economic alliance between several soverign nations and 200 years later they've devolved into a civil war

>Solid fuel rock require 96% fuel by mass composition
Yes, so you come up with liquid fuel rockets, which is what we did. They burn better, hotter, and all the fuel is pumped to the nozzle rather easily. While we're still likely to be heavyworlders, this screenshot is intentionally misleading.

Humanity's advantage over other animals is being able to use tools to gain the advantages other animals have to grow and evolve on their own; this could definitely work as humanity's gimmick in a sci-fi setting.

>implying other advanced species wouldn't be advanced for the exact same reasons