Why even include western ogres in your campaign when you could include Oni instead?

Why even include western ogres in your campaign when you could include Oni instead?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irda
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because I'm not a weeaboo

>inb4 weeb imageboard

pic related

Usually because I want something more monstrous than the regular Oni. Oni are great if you want the kind of fight where you can win with trickery or cleverness, since they'll probably actually let you get in a word edgewise. Ogres on the other hand often are going to be big mean people eating machines, and are better suited if you want a big dangerous monster. When you get Oni, you can have shit like drugging their drink, or besting them with riddles, or challenging them to contests and shit.

It's not my magical realm.

because oni doesnt fill the same role as ogre at all and they fit much better as seperate things. Ogres are big monsters that roams wamps and eat people, oni are... fuck I dont know but what you posted most likely doesnt do any of that and it's not nearly as scary.

they mostly roam mountains, eat people, drink booze and fight

>Ogres are big monsters that roams wamps and eat people, oni are...
... basically the same thing

but they look a lot cooler

Because Ogre Magi are a thing, and they don't come to the western continents often.

There's nothing magical realm about large, beefy ogre girls.

>but they look a lot cooler
Probably because Shrek is the first thing you think about when you think about ogres. Ogres can be made to look cool with some effort and going back to the source material.

very true

>Take oni
>Call it ogre

Done.

Western ogres are for you to slay, Japanese Oni are for you to be raped by.

Despite their association, they fill different niches. Depending on the tone of the setting or the encounters I want to make, I might include one, both or neither.

Ive tried...

That's a trap. And also probably bait.

Because oni don't lend themselves to the Shrek memes my GM wants.

Because I'd rather have both.

Because my campaign is using western fantasy.

Because based Shrek is unironically my favourite animation movie, even after the internet and the sequels tried to ruin it.

Oni and traditional western ogres are pretty much the same thing.

Ogres and trolls have gotten more animalistic after D&D came out.

That is only true of post-D&D Ogres. What you describe is closer to a traditional Bogeyman.

Shrek is more Troll than Ogre, but troll dolls are probably why he is an Ogre rather than a Troll.

because plebs

> (OP)
>Because I'd rather have both.
This guy gets it!

What's the best possible usage for a rowdy, spicy oni gal who doesn't bathe?

Because you can have both.

I don't see why you would not have both, with western oni in one region (the west) and eastern oni in another (the east).

The world is FUCKING BIG, and I am trying to fit as much mythology as I want into it.

>western Oni
what does that look like?

To keep people away from you and enforce your will with violence.

Why do oni always have fangs?

Hot.

>that pic
the Virgin yokai
>this pic
the Chad yokai

I want to FUCK the virgin yokai and turn her into a mother.

Double Dubs confirm best girl

The best version of ogres is the dragon lance ogres.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Irda

Basically they were the most favored by the gods among the mortal races back in the day and then abused the lesser favored races. Then they fell into decadence and got cursed by the gods for their wrong doings.

>onitoko
>virgin
think again!

Because of this shit.

explain further

Because they serve different purposes, modern fantasy ogres are a race of fairly uniform monstrous brutish giants, onis are a diverse group of usually highly intelligent, sinister and vaguely ogre-like in shape demons.

>Ogres a monster
>Oni is just a big person
really makes you thing

Because I prefer western ogres. My favourite type of ogres are WHFB style ogres, tall, inhumanly strong, fat people that eat fucking everything in sight including humans and each other.

Maybe the monster was man all along.

>My favourite type of ogres are WHFB style ogres, tall, inhumanly strong, fat people that eat fucking everything in sight including humans and each other.

In what way does this exclude oni

Reminder to masturbate before posting on Veeky Forums

Not red, no horns, no signature weapons, have a formal society and hierarchy.

>have a formal society and hierarchy.
How the hell can they have "a formal society and hierarchy" when they
>eat fucking everything in sight including humans and each other.
?

>What is Ogre Magi?

but user, they will eat you

That's why its your job to convince her you're more valuable to her alive than in her belly.
Work hard, user!

They have a hierarchy based on strength/appetite and an informal society that I think mostly has to do with hunting mammoths and with chefs being wizards. They also have loads of hobbit (or goblin?) slaves to keep everything running.

Because Nekomata's are the superior eastern monster inclusion.

I think most folks forget that Japan's "medieval era" was actually during the LATE Renaissance, without actually being particularly less advanced in most aspects. The Sengoku era was their Hundred Years War but covering their whole nation and a LOT more decisive. So don't compare Sengoku era art to some douche in France in 1191, compare it to some douche in Italy in 1602.

I've played with the idea of a race of a thunder-calling, people-eating, Oni, but that's about as far as I ever got with it.

>Not red, no horns, no signature weapons, have a formal society and hierarchy.

None of these are necessitated by "tall, inhumanly strong, fat people that eat fucking everything in sight including humans and each other." and nothing about oni excludes any of this.

A tracing of Aquaman with the head and weapon changed.

Has anyone here played the old Grenadier Fantasy Warriors game? Any thoughts on it?

I miss Ogre Kingdoms so much.

Idiot, oni can't be men

>Kusaregedo
SNKfags represent

Why can't we just have both

You fools wouldn't know a good oni if it danmaku'd the fuck out of you

Because I use them for different things. Ogres are brutes, Oni are shapeshifting like changelings.
For example, Oni in my setting have a special quirk: As they develop, they subconsciously use their shapeshifting powers to imitate the appearance of the same-sex parent that raises them both as a method of practicing their shapeshifting and to divert suspicion by non-oni relatives, 'confirming' the child is human due to similarities to a presumably human parent.
This trait even passes down generationally:
A half-oni mother has a 1/2 chance to pass this on to any particular one of her children, and a half-oni father will pass on the trait to any children that share the sex of his oni parent. In fact, a quarter-oni father that received this trait from his half-oni mother will also pass it along to any of his daughters, ad infinitum.

Oni are for sexual bullying.

This actually relates to something I've been wondering about - wouldn't someone get annoyed if I included something obviously Asian in a western setting, or vice versa?

We're at a point where it's relatively easy to learn about all sorts of cultures and various points in history, and in theory we should be able to pick and chose whatever we need to make something truly unique. But I've rarely ever really seen it pulled off outside of videogames, and they're usually just trying to be aesthetically interesting.

>if I included something obviously Asian in a western setting
what does this really mean, though?
it's like saying that china and europe existing at the same time breaks suspension of disbelief

If we know why/how the fuck things from different places are in the same place, then there's no problem, right?

Well, like OP's example - just having a random eastern-style Oni in an otherwise western setting. Or maybe a dungeon that looks more like it's from Burma instead of Britain.

I've also seen anons complaining about having an ancient Egypt undead civilization right next to...well, other fantasy stuff. So like your example, imagine China and Europe jammed up against each other.

Halfassed surface detail only riffs are annoying.
Non-halfassed versions aren't inherently bad, but look like the former when you pitch them.
If the underline themes and culture are eastern but the surface isn't, things will go very smoothly.

My Ronin got layed by an Oni Daimyos favorite halfblood daughter once. That was a great group .

because an ogre isnt just an excuse to force anime fetish fuel into your game

I swear I've seen this character somewhere before

Why would a type of creature be tied to a specific cultural flavor?, you can use oni and just remove all obvious references to japanese culture, you could just replace the tiger hide tunics with leopard pelts and the kanabo with pole/bar maces to keep them more consisten with the western aesthetic

>When you get Oni, you can have shit like drugging their drink, or besting them with riddles, or challenging them to contests and shit.
That's basically all of ogre fairy tales tho

If you were just picking up random pieces of Eastern cultures and dumping them in a otherwise Western themed settings I would find it pretty unengaging without some sort of justification.
On the other hand if you're trying to make some sort of coherent whole out of different cultural elements then that could be pretty cool.

You guys got Oni all wrong. They're not just eastern ogres, they're torturers from hell

They're motherfuckers

My settings oni / hell beings.

Hell beings, gigantic, monstrous beings, screaming in pure, raw post traumatic stress disorder pain, rage, grief, sorrow, and horror as they blindly attack without mercy anyone near them from the moment they are born onward, Hell beings born into existence wielding sawtooth, salted, scalding, steaming, blood drenched, poisonous weapons (all weapons have all traits), their armor covered with sawtooth salted poisonous spikes, blades, and square edges, hell beings armor and weapons so extremely hot that their armor releases visible blood-smoke from it’s chinks and crevices and hell being’s hands make a scalding sizzling sound and weep blood. 100% of a hell being’s exterior is covered with scars, boils, rashes, pimples, acne, blisters, sores, sweat-rash, warts, wrinkles, first degree burns, and ceaselessly flowing blood, puss and tears, which they sweat out from every part continuously. Hell beings that are under the direct purview of the underworld authority’s command are very different from the randomly spawning raving mad beasts that most hell beings exist as. Hell beings under the direct purview of the underworld authority are more focused and centered, carrying out their lord or ladies commands mercilessly and not wearing the scalding weapons and armor, though they usually go about both armed and armored.

Because in the setting I run (The game is called Agone, the world is called Harmonde) ogres are a playable race and are actually fairly civilized and brilliant tacticians who worship the sun God Diurne. Their essentially just bigger stronger versions of humans that cannot be blinded by bright lights and are stronger under the noon sun.

Also, aren't oni Demons?

The dismal land (my setting's hellish afterlife) is like a giant cave. There is no escape from the heat, stench, oppressive darkness, & slow continuous light drizzle of poison, sulfur dust, bile, and vinegar, above lies not the sky but a giant ceiling made entirely out of scalding blades, to the west there lies not a horizon but a red hot wall covered in acid sweating spikes, to the east there lies not a horizon but a wall of slag so hot it visibly bubbles at times, to the north there is no escape either, as the wall of salty spikes there drips scalding blood, vinegar, to the south is only more horror, as a wall of scalding blades drips fluid glass.

Fire so hot the skin turns into boiling fluid is your only garment there, heat so intense the body turns steadily-slowly to jelly and sloughs off is your companion for every moment of existence, from above pours an endless flow of all the excrement and decomposing bodies in the universe, hitting the floor of the cave so hard that it creates churning lakes and rampant tidal waves, vapors so scalding they boil your eyes, split your skin, & scald your throat and lungs with third degree burns are constantly sweeping from all four cardinal directions, storms and eddies forming regularly.

High above in the cave lie storm clouds, which torrentially rain blood caked blades, points, and edges, falling so far the metal is white hot and nearly-fluidizing when it lands, during these storms every one foot of ground under the clouds is struck about 1,000 times with lightning.

Howling mad hell beings form from your every negative word deed and thought, slaughtering you over and over again, the bliss of momentary nonexistence your only respite from unending torments of gruesome, foul, hideous hell beings, the creatures wielding every weapon that ogres/oni can.

The only thing to eat or drink is your own slaughtered bodies, and geysers of putrid blood, crude oil, bile, & salt water, rain on you.

In short it sucks.

I am adding an Oni to my fantasy game. It's the only realistic way I figured you could put a a bimbo on a team of adventurers and not have her get immediately splattered.

I just wish the other guys had let me put glitter on her club

Come on quads, couldn't you have at least sold it to your group in a funny way? Now they're just going to kick you out the moment she starts acting like that.

where indeed ?...

Keep your club shiny with blood.

>Bimbo Oni
I've seen that before

All Oni girls are bimbos by default

Im not a weeaboo faggot

>Also, aren't oni Demons?
Kind of.
Japan's a little funny on its depictions of hell and demons though, so "yes", it's a "demon", and it's even a bit more properly demonic than some, but at the end of the day it has a more blurry distinction between it and more typical monsters than, say, a western culture might.
For westerners, a Demon and, I dunno, an Ogre are very different orders of being. You might get a demon that kind of looks like an ogre, and you might get an ogre that hails satan a few too many times and goes Exorcist on you, but strictly speaking, an ogre isn't a demon, unless you've got a setting or story that specifically states otherwise.
In japanese culture, a lot of monsters have a bit of duality going on. Yes, an oni's a big red (or blue) humanoid that walks up, slaps your gf's ass and whacks things with a club while getting shitfaced on booze, and maybe playing an awesome thunder drum solo, but it's also a semi-metaphorical, semi-literal manifestation of certain elements of the human/japanese psyche, and governed by bizarre, ritualistic and/or symbolic traits like a proper demon might be.
I think a comparison to vampires is apt. Vampires are monsters, not demons, but behave very similarly to demons for many practical purposes, and have an association sometimes. If a setting put forth that vampires are of demonic descent, you'd probably not bat an eye, any more than if it was stated that they weren't.

Japanese "faith" and mythology is actually a little weird like that in general. If I had to put it to words, I'd say that the japanese are the most superstitious atheists on the planet, and have been for a long time, and lets not even get started on what they've done to Bhuddism, or how much they took to shit like geomancy.

But then you do you in your setting.

But they are violent, strong bimbos that satisfy their urges by force.

fortunately, they are easily tricked into submitting to one's whims

>Intentionally limits his storytelling assets because he is worried about what people will think his association to dweebs that sleep with bodypillows is

Unfortunately, they are sometimes too dense to fall for your trick, and the same old, same old happens again

>Lum posting
Finest taste in the thread.

Just as planned

>wouldn't someone get annoyed if I included something obviously Asian in a western setting, or vice versa?
Only if you done it poorly.
You can put western style gunslingers in a chinese themed setting, japanese youkai in an ancient rome themed setting, or mix small things like making a medieval europe setting that has european knights wearing european armor but with lacquered finish similar to samurai armor.

If possible, give an in universe explanation as to why that thing exists, if it originates in a foreign land, how did it get there or if not then how did the thing show up.
Don't worry about cultural appropriation, everything is cultural appropriation anyways.

You can make the Oni be into torture without making them hellspawn. Maybe make them be into a very specific kind of torture ( ͡º ͜ʖ ͡º)

Red Oni are alcoholics party girls.
Blue Oni are alcoholic Nerdy girls.

hot, 34/10.

That "oni" isn't torturing anyone tho. I see through your tricks /d/eviant

She's torturing me, user. I'm so hard right now it hurts.

>"""western ogres"""
There is no real specific "western ogre", there are just a lot of different monstrous man-eating creatures that fall under "ogre"
Hell, over in south america they have a turtle-ogre-thing

>Ogres are big monsters that roams wamps
And forests, and mountains, and pretty much everywhere else. The only common factors are generally monstrous humanoid that eats people
oni are literally just weeaboo ogres, pretty sure I even read something that suggested they were at least in-part developed from foreign stories of ogres

>they serve different purposes
>they fill different niches
They certainly can if you want but don't nessesarily
It's like d&d where they turn every variation of names into different creatures to fill books

so you basically made them changelings with more complex technical ecology details

Hey, I only suggested that they are "into it", giving and/or receiving it was never specified.

They always have shackles and chains and are depicted as hellish torturers in folk tales ... BDSM is not too much of a stretch.