What are the worst systems or tabletop games you've ever played?

What are the worst systems or tabletop games you've ever played?

Maybe there was one game that didn't seem to click mechanically for you. Maybe there's a system out there whose fluff is a complete mess according to you. Maybe the rules would start make sense if only you had a PhD in a pscific field... whatever the reason, share it here.

Personally, Age of Empires III: The Board Game was pretty bad: it was an attempt to mix Eurogame mechanics with Amerogame ones, but the end result was a game where the winner was whoever had the luck to draw tobacco first and place a missionary first.

[Pic, obviously, unrelated]

Other urls found in this thread:

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pathfinder causes a headache every time i open the rulebook.
Becomes full fledged migraine if i build a character.
That thing is mementic cancer.

The answer to any question is always GURPS

Same and for the exact same reason as user. Every time I think of normies playing when I literally can't get invited back to a group after session 0 I get huge migraines.

AD&D2E.
My Grognard players refuse to try anything new because they're scared of anything they didn't grow up with. So anytime someone runs D&D, they use 2E. It's fucking awful. I feel like I miss 90% of my attacks. Whoever came up with THAC0 should be taken out back and shot.

Over here even the normies abandoned memefinder in the last year.
Now it's mostly heroquest, dungeon world, shadowrun and that one weird d20 one piece system.
We face better times now.

Does it count when it's just one person?

No of course not, who the hell visits a RPG community which is made up of only one person ?

Don't be silly, it's a very simple and accessible system.

The hell i am looking at ?

Is Pathfinder too complicated for you? Fucking moron, you don't like Pathfinder because it required a high iq to play. You have to actually think about your character and customize them in a way that makes sense. You're just a fucking retard who wants generic characters that are cookie cutter cutouts each time. Jess fck you are retarded. Goddamn simpleton gets a headache from a game that requires intelligence to play. Big shocker. I bet putting your pants on without drooling gives you a headache to. Fucking moron

Optional rules for accurate compound bow damage, and also something of a meme among GURPSfags. That article and 2e's Vehicle rules are basically the source of all the heavy maths in GURPS

Deadearth. It is nearly unplayable: most pdfs you find of it are missing a key table for character creation, you can die during creation, the combat system is unintuitive, the weight and carry mechanics are weird, and the whole game is generally just too mechanically esoteric to be useful as a system. However, it is really fun to roll up a couple characters in, the mutation table is 1000 strong with an additional table you can use as well for more mutations, the mutations themselves ruin the gamut from interesting and fun mechanically to just flat skill bonuses to plain and simple death for the character. Give it a look if you're bored sometime.

Pathfinder is just a Rick sort of game.

It is hands down the best system ever created. Hands down.

>This much samefag to try and desperately meme
>The irony is that if you take out the ad hominem it's accurate and not exaggerated

wtdf are you talking about?

I didn't really enjoy Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Card Game. Felt too much like a card game trying to do the work of an RPG. Ironically we switched over to Munchkin Quest, and I thoroughly enjoyed playing that.

user, I love you man, you and I share the same hobbies, and that's awesome. We may not like the same systems, but we're still Veeky Forums, and that's good enough for me.
And it gets better, ok? Just keep on moving forward, and I have absolute confidence that you can do the thing, whatever it is.
Anyway, I hope you have a good day man, and say hello to the people in your life for me, I'm sure they care about you too.

Probably 5th edition D&D. It just wasn't very good, though the group didn't help either.

ryutama.. it felt like playing an npc.

F.A.T.A.L.
Yes, some friends and I actually tried to play it. We made it through an entire session and then ritually moved all of our copies of it onto the same thumb drive and dropped it down the garbage disposal.

Asshole listen to this user life will be easier for you and us.
You obnoxious cunt.

Not trying to meme here, I seriously really just don't like Pathfinder, for the same reasons I don't like 3.5. Get angry if you want, but I'd rather play 2e or 5e if I have to play DnD at all.

But if it's a non-popular game you're looking for, I really fucking hate Eclipse Phase. It is doing far too much at once, especially with how its stats work in conjunction with morphs. I'm hoping 2e will be cutting out a lot of the stupid bullshit. And possibly changing how easy it is to make a combat monster even on accident in a game that's supposed to be a psychological horror game. For fucks sakes, I've never seen a game fail so horribly at being what it set out to be.

You say that as if 3.PF doesn't have over complicated bullshit as well.

d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/sacred-geometry/

Even then, you could always just use GURPS lite if you really want to avoid any of the more complex math.

It may look overly complex. But if you think about that all the variables are statics and you only need to do the math once. Olso it appeared to be aimed at the GM rather than the players.

Is there a pathfinder version of the R&M copypasta yet?

Whats that rpg a guy spent 18 years making and it takes multiple hours to build a character?

>shills
>fanboys

etc.

D&D

Busty Barbarian Bimbos and Lamination of the Fire (?) Princess.

BBB looked like it was going to be fun but is about 1/2 of someone's notes on how to make a system.

LotFP is just dreadful. The art, mechanics and tone jumps all over the fucking place for the rules and modules. It felt like it wanted to be adnd, lovecraft, historical sim and lotr all in one and got stuck at the junction.

What's with people and reddit lately? I know it's not a paticularly well liked site, but it seems like the word reddit is turning into an insult

>lately
Its not that you are reddit, its that you are infected with the 'tisim

Pathfinder and DnD are the worst ones that I've tried, particularly Pathfinder.

For fluff Pathfinder is the epitome of the bland "kitchen sink" fantasy that is everywhere in the genre. And for mechanics... I don't know. If it supposed to be a game about exciting fantasy adventures, its too clunky for that. If its supposed to be a more in depth fantasy tactical simulator, its too broken and unwieldy for that.

Pathfinder players are just the icing on the cake of terrible.

I've tried some really awful systems for shits and giggles (Bellum Maga, Hc Svnt Dracones, Synnibar) but the most consistently bad one, and the one I just can't stand anymore, is Pathfinder. It's a bloated mess and people in my area keep insisting on it, and many won't play anything else. It's obnoxious, especially as a GM

We really need a "We get it, you dont like Pathfinder" banner.

You cant make a thread without someone complaining about it, which brings players out of its containment ghetto of a general. Someone was complaining about it in both the star wars and 40k generals the last two days.

Move the fuck on already.

I am going to throw in another vote for 3.x. I have read many games that are far worse, like Wraeththlu or Realms of Altlantasia, but never have I played a game that was consistently as bad as 3.x based D&D. I'd even put shitshows like Rifts over 3.x because at least they don't pretend to have any sort of consistent design behind them.

>Move the fuck on already.
Why, it gets me (you)'s and the same five 3aboos keep responding no matter how "tired" they claim to be of it.

If people were truly sick of it, they'd hide the threads, filter the threads, filter posts containing "3.PF" or "3aboo," report people for blatantly shitposting about it, or even calm the fuck down and own how shitty their game is so people don't have fuel to use against them anymore.

Since people don't, they clearly don't mind THAT much, so fuck it.

are you thinking of that Russian one with a special dice rolling field and dice rolling rules

VTNL or Via The New Legends (iirc), for the curious.

While that one is bad its not the one I'm thinking of. This one has char gen tables scattered across hundreds of pages, self inserts, horrible grammar and spelling, and a terrible world.

I made a thing for it. It took more effort than those posts deserve

But when we're talking about our least favourite systems, why not mention that stain on our hobby?
I jest, feel free to enjoy it but ya need to realise plenty of people really don't and it's so ubiquitous you can't escape it.

try getting them to try Lamentations of the flame princess?

Nice work samefag
Now get back to jerking yourself off to this cute kitsune

Or, better yet, how about PF fags just stop coming to Veeky Forums?

We need to make 3.PF a taboo. A bannable offense to discuss or even mention it.
It's too polarising to not trigger shitfests on its wake, and too unworthy of the amount of unhealthy attention it gets.

i genuinely enjoy pathfinder even with all its flaws,just like we enjoyed 3.5 back in the day.
i dont play rpg because of the rules anyway

Honestly, it'd cut down on a large chunk of the shitposting going on in the board.

Like you legit cannot even talk about melee fighters without some fag triggering a 48 hour flame war between the martialfags and the casterfags.

I misread taboo as tattoo, which would also work. Like some kind of brand.

martials are clearly the superior breed

The Cortex Marvel Heroic Roleplaying Game. We made custom characters and mine sucked. Some faggot made a character with d12s in everything that was overpowered as fuck, and some other fucker made an absolute magical realm whore that was basically nu52 Slutfire taken to over 9,000 (who actually had the gall to fucking deny it and say it was more like the cutesy Teen Titans Go! version of Starfire . . . despite the character's bodily fluids being artificially sweet and going around naked AT ALL TIMES).

In our first fight I got my ass kicked and only made it through because the GM started to pull punches on me and even then our party was split into two and the people who made OP pieces of garbage showed up after steam-rolling their fight to mop up in the group of people who didn't make mary sue bullshit garbage.

>A bannable offense to discuss or even mention an RPG
>on an RPG board.

you sound upset user

time to create /pf/

>
This.
It makes so much sense.
After all they are the /mlp/ to our /co/

i was being ironic :/

Sadly, Pathfinder.

Attempting crossover games in the old World of Darkness

this... the players wont help you in this task either

I never really clicked well with GURPS, WoD can be pure ass cancer if you have the wrong gaming group and Alethia is a game that mainly taught me to never allow player characters to have time travel.

Boardgame wise, while I acknowledge both of them to be well designed systems, I can't stand T'zolkin or Caverna. Also Mall of Horror, A Study in Emerald and Keyflower all have rule books that can go eat a dick.

Riddle of Steel combat.

Okay. Look. It's really well done. It's rich. It's detailed. It's everything Monte Cook wants his bullshit system spam to be. And I'd need to be six days deep in a mushroom bender to have a hope of understanding what the fuck is going on.

Also Exalted.

>posts optional rules from a publication intended for hardcore GURPS fans.

Why do people lie on the internet?

This is my story of the worst system I've ever played, Hc Svnt Dracones, as well as the behind the scenes strangeness of it.

To preface; I'm a weird kind of dude who finds social outcast groups kind of interesting. Bronies, furries, weaboos and even the major rejects like otherkin and Steven Universe fans. I find them all fascinating and the ones I can actually tolerate (like bronies, furries, and weaboos) are the ones that I usually stick around with longer and make friends in.

So one day, one of my furry friends shows me this role-playing game called Hc Svnt Dracones. And that game perfectly embodies the idea of good/new ideas with bad executions. I recommend reading the review of it on FATAL & Friends.

But it was not only the worst RPG I've actually had the chance to play, but my curiosity was eventually my gateway into the inner sanctum of it's creator. AKA a new book was coming out and the creator made a Discord server, so I joined, wanting to lurk and see what the "furry side" of an tabletop RPG community was.

Let me get this out of the way, furry discord servers like almost anything that involves a large amount of furries are so garbage, the general chat is filled with randoms talking about either random personal stuff or dumb shit, rarely is the game ever actually discussed. This is true of every single furry Discord or Telegram group I've ever been in.

The thing I found the funniest though, was when at one point the creator of the game went on a whole tangent about how he hates it when people call his game a "furry role-playing game" and went on to say that it's unfair that it has that label, yet the crux of his argument revolved around him saying "other games don't have to deal with those kinds of labels being put on them" not understanding that if you make a game where you can't play as a human and can only play as a variant of a sparkly neon fox that it puts you in the "furry game" category.

>not understanding that if you make a game where you can't play as a human and can only play as a variant of a sparkly neon fox that it puts you in the "furry game" category.
How did he react when you told him that, user?

Realms of Atlantasia?

5e. It bores me out of my mind every time I look at it. There's just nothing interesting in the system.
t. 4aboo

>A Study in Emerald
Yeah, that one was pretty confusing when I played it with some friends. It ended with a Restorationist victory because the Loyalists kept playing exactly like them, without understanding what was their objective.

I dunno. I feel that, so as long you didn't cross over with Prometheans, crossover games were fine enough.

I didn't want to be banned, I wanted to lurk more and see if he did or said anything else really stupid.

More fun facts: He was also the kind of guy to not understand jokes at all, even if it was obvious. He also took his setting extremely seriously, which is kinda laughable when you actually read the terrible lore of the book.

Not kidding, read the FATAL & Friends entry on both the base game (Hc Svnt Dracones) and the lore book (Sound and Silence) and you'll have a peek into the weird ideas of this dude.

>Plenty of people don't
user, I've never played an RPG, can you really say I don't like it? We're all just here for the easy (you)s by going after what's popular. It's cool to hate on 3.x here and gets free replies from people who are normally intelligent. It's like saying you like /a/ on /m/. Everyone will rage and pretend to hate /a/ and have a good time, but in the end they're all watching that anime.

DSA/The Dark Eye, it's a system that's relatively popular in Germany(for god knows what reason) and it's fucking terrible.
You have to roll 3 d20s for every ability check and in combat you have to roll to hit and your opponent has a roll to parry/dodge, which makes resolving just about everything a huge pain in the ass.

>theta in radians
oh fuck that

Are you butthurt that not enough blacks and women play it you retard?

>using degrees like an elementary school kiddo
Look at this faggot lmao

Dark Heresy for sure, the system is clunky as shit and utterly no fun at all.

They can be in a game that has a wealth of combat options and a setting that doesn't assume that martials are limited to IRL combat statistics in a world that's clearly not realistic.

It's just that 3.PF convinced too many people that martials have to be "average" dudes who can only hit good, in a world where a relatively low level mage can shoot fireballs, understand every spoken/written language, speak to plants/animals, fly, and more.

(You) tried. But not hard enough to even get the shitty star sticker.

>And that game perfectly embodies the idea of good/new ideas with bad executions.

Bruh I followed that game from its conception to its actual release, and I'm fairly sure almost no actual good ideas went into it. NEW ideas, sure, but not good. I'd rather say Dracones is a perfect example of why innovation isn't always a good thing, especially if it's just for the sake of innovation itself.

>Tries to defend his favourite system
>Just resorts to a barrage of Ad hominem attacks
>Hasn't actually defended the system at all

You wouldn't happen to watch Rick and Morty at all, would you?

Yes! Didnt play it persay but the people in my discord posted the odd and we looked through it for a laugh

Hc Svnt Dracones is pretty bad. Like even for a game that exists solely so people can make their furry fetish OCs it's bad.

It's not even the magical realm furfaggotry that makes it bad; the combat rules are a fucking slog and a half and it's literally the least fun I've ever had in an RPG ever.

>Travel is an actual stat
>Spend every encounter inflicted with minuses because you're exhausted from travelling all the time
>You can't pass any rolls unless you minmax
>Archers can't shoot unless at least two other party members are standing in front of them

I wish I was joking.

Savage Worlds is pretty bad, no granularity, same min-maxing shit as GURPS where it tries to encourage power gamers to roleplay by offering them extra skill points and feats. Also the exploding dice are awful.

FFG Star Wars was one that I tried playing and it was trying so hard to be interesting that I lost interest. Same with FATE. Why do all these narrative games require special dice? And with FATE, the difficulty class "ladder" was full of meaningless adjectives. Oh shit I don't know if my skill check needs to be "good" or "Great" to pass. What a fucking stupid system....

4e was an absolute meme, it was well-balanced at least but the "muh powahs" shit was a complete turn-off. Barely any character build options, and the whole thing was a linear buffet of meaningless options where you attacked once per day for double damage. Most of the combat rules were meaningless bloat and extra bookkeeping. And if you complained that the combat was slow they'd just say "git gud" even though they'd been running the game for 5 years and knew it like the back of their hand.

Pathfinder is fucking awful, 10,000 snowflake classes, retards who expect you to allow Traits and Flaws like they are the core rules, the stupid favored-class shit. I like 3.5 until I met people who power-gamed it and had a level 1 fighter swinging for 20 damage per hit. And martialcucks are so asshurt that they'll say that that is completely fair because a wizard can cast sleep. They are such idiots. "My fighter should be able to do anything because if you say no to something I want to do you are persecuting me because a 1st level wizard can do literally anything I can do" just shut the fuck up you fucking autistic retards. They've ruined the other two editions of the game too. Martialcucks seriously should be put in a fucking gas chamber, they are so obnoxious.

Palladium Fantasy and RIFTS are both pretty bad, overcomplicated, autistic. RIFTS as a setting has some cool ideas but is just silly and stupid in actual play.

All Flesh Must Be Eaten uses Unisystem which is the most autistic trash I've ever seen, with overcomplicated dice mechanics for exploding dice going "both ways", as well as overly-granular damage system presented in an autistic way. The skill list is an abomination, it's built like GURPS yet there is no reason to use it instead of GURPS. It's another failed generic system that does nothing well. And AFMBE does nothing interesting with the zombie genre.

Dungeon World is watered-down PbtA with the grittiness and consequences taken out. The rules are vague as fuck, it's like d20 modern trying to use a rules set for something it's not meant to be used for. Apocalypse World is the only good PbtA game, save for maybe one or two others that maintained the spirit of the original. Dungeon World doesn't, and of course since it's so popular it's been bad press for the PbtA system because the game presents it in such an idiotic way.

End of the World games had some really cool ideas but insisted on using stupid-ass dice pool which I hate. The rules seemed intentionally obtuse and mixed in with the fluff and honestly they were just pretty boring so I stole the cool ideas (playing as yourselves and "voting" on each others' stats) and used them for other systems. Also the game had no good basebuilding rules or good resource tracking rules which is the kind of shit I would play a zombie survival RPG for.

Dread is similar to the above, cool idea but a waste of paper of someone trying to make money off of it. The entire idea is "play a horror scenario and pull a block each time there's a chance things will go wrong and if the tower topples then things go really bad." That wasn't hard, was it?

I also played a bit of Burning Wheel but there was so much pretentious shit in there I stopped caring.

surely you will find your peace playing black tokyo

Your mother doesn’t love you, yknow.

Drakar och Demoner: Trudvagn.

It's the go to Swedish RPG. It's got tons of awesome fluff about a low fantasy early middle ages Germanic/Scandinavian world.

But crunchwise it was just slow and complicated for no real reason. Also for some reason 90% of the stated monsters and beasts were essentially unkillable by even a very experienced adventuring party. The game and fluff were modelled very much on making normal people living in the middle ages, but the monster manual was like the DnD monster manual were most monsters were epic things that would instantly kill any normal human.

The problem with Exalted is it relies on players to
1) know their charms, and
2) track their own essence, anima and initiative ticks.
Stupid and/or lazy players murder the game quicker than a dog in a chinese kitchen.

user, it's so different from Cypher System you obviously have no actual knowledge of the game.

Tzol'kin is completely miserable and poorly balanced with fewer than four players, in my experience. I'd really like to try Keyflower but haven't had a chance yet.

Mushrooms + TRoS dick stabbing arena actually sounds like a hell of a time.

>LotFP is just dreadful. The art, mechanics and tone jumps all over the fucking place for the rules and modules. It felt like it wanted to be adnd, lovecraft, historical sim and lotr all in one and got stuck at the junction.

Yeah, this. Like I got the manual and I can see why people recommend the system for OSR but wow, jumping all over the place indeed. Also lol at being sold as "weird fantasy" and "pushing the boundaries" which always translate as "the same ol' gorn you had since you played Kult in the 90s." Like sure, if you enjoy it go for it, but stop calling it weird ffs, it's been done to dead.

>Kult
Speaking of a game that was all over the place. I do have fond memories of playing Kult (1st ed). But being a game of the 90s had this awful thing that putting everything and the kitchen sink in it. Is a weird terror game where you can play martial artist that can do flying kicks. Yeah, it's about terror with gnosticism and they had a section for martial arts rules just because.

And I do, really do want to like Heavy Gears rules. But lol Dex being UberGod stat and why do you have skills that are basically a requirement for just staying alive (I'm looking at you, combat senses) and not give some default value to all characters.

So combat is like Dark Heresy? That's a good thing, there should always be more ways to not get hit

Which DH, 1 or 2? I'll agree with saying 1 is shit cause it is, but I enjoy 2 a fair amount

I think that's it.

I love Rick and morty. But that has nothing to do with why Pathfinder is a great system