/SWG/ - Unbreakable Air Defence Edition

Watch the skies!

Last thread: Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB
Fantasy Flight Games’ Star Wars RPG System (Edge of the Empire/Age of Rebellion/Force and Destiny)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6
Other FFG Star Wars Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the FFG RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older Star Wars Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ (embed)
Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>mega.nz/#F!kJtCTR7Q!HNUwVc1B8KB2FrD4Twmb7g
The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4

Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing
Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

--- Latest News ---
Armada wave VII release article:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/1/launch-the-fleet/
Legion in-store demos announcement and locations:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/14/see-to-it-personally/
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/swlegion/demos/
Force and Destiny Warrior Sourcebook announced:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/12/knights-of-fate/
X-Wing Wave XIV announced:
>fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/2/13/save-the-dream/

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial-class_repulsortank
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WATCH THOSE FLAK ROCKETS

In Imperial Galaxy, sky watches you!

I gotta say, I like that the empire is using gozantti's to haulk walkers to planets in nu-canon. It makes more sense than having super specialized dropships.

But that one looks cool, like some funky beetle

>Might as well spraypaint "torp me' on the side

This just in: troop transports are vulnerable to attack by enemy craft. News at 11.

Not for making atmospheric entries. The big barges in the various previous games were far better.

Personally I like the freight barges in Rebel Strike best, since the AT-AT walks out the front.

But the Titans and one-AT-AT-out-the-bottom dropships from other games are okay too.

Counterargument, you can plop the walker directly down with the Gozzantti and immediately get moving, as opposed to landing, letting the walker walk and eventually lifting off.

The Empire also had landing pods that could deliver a walker to it's destination.

Still gotta stretch your shields all the way around them.

If your troop transports have to be vulnerable, then you have a pretty shitty military. There's no excuse to have your most important assets operating without the best protection.

>you have a pretty shitty military.

That is pretty much the Empire in Canon now.

Legion specifics.

March 22nd
Core Box. Range ruler & Movement Stick bundle. Extra Dice.

REBELS:
-AT-RT
-Endor Rebel Troopers
-T-47 Air speeder

IMPERIALS
-Stormtroopers
-Speeder Bikes
-AT-ST

Dates TBC but listed as April 26th
-Imperial Snowtroopers
-General Veers

Dates TBC but listed as May 25th
-Rebel Fleet Troopers
-Leia Organa

this, EU New Republic suceeded despite the terrible threat of the still dangerous deadly and lethal empire. they won through skill, daring, and sacrifice.

Disneywars faggotry, the good guys win, 'because'... and that's it. that's the entire reason.

no, zonoma sekot had just been Travelling outside the galaxy for that long. it pops back in periodically.

The Goz is basically an armoured freighter, most of the time when you see them lugging around walkers its usually just a surface to surface hop rather than a space-ground drop.
That whole space-drop is kind of tricky if you're dedicating what is essentially a transport to front line service as you'd be better using them to move in masses of material, troops and other supplies into theatre. Plus having AT-AT's doing jumps out of their star destroyer or troop transport to be caught by a passing Gozanti would be just too damn amusing. Fact they can dangle 4 TIE's off them makes them quite a mean little freighter too capable of defending themselves pretty well if they're moving shiny things someone might want.

don't be dissing on based Gozanti. Gozza a cute bote. would fly her / 10

>this, EU New Republic suceeded
Are you kidding? EU New Republic folded like a wet paper towel in a straight up war after failing to eliminate the Empire or provide peace for its citizens. It was immediately replaced and no one really gave a fuck. Not only was it's successor often ruled by Imperial leadership, eventually the Empire took over again completely and undid everything the NR had ever done. Legends basically took the celebration scenes at the end of RotJ and said "No, fuck you, Empire wins forever and this victory means nothing."

>Disneywars faggotry, the good guys win, 'because'
No, they win because they permanently broke the Empire's aura of invincibility at Endor. The death of the Emperor, the destruction of a SECOND Death Star, the destruction of an SSD...all of that sent the message that the Empire could no longer provide the peace through power it had claimed. Every Tom, Dick, and Mary who had a grude against the Empire suddenly felt a lot braver and a lot of Imperials who followed the Empire because Palps had been the legitimate leader suddenly had to reconsider whether it was still a legit government.

Combine that with the fact that Palps was a control freak and didn't want anyone else playing with his toys in the event of his death, and it's pretty easy to understand why the Empire didn't long outlast its creator. Endor was supposed to be the battle that won the war against the Empire and meant it downfall. Pretending otherwise is moronic.

t. i have not read the EU anything and am just going to shipost harder because REASONS.

can you at LEAST go be a mentally deficient monkey the fuck elsewhere. your stupidity is getting tiresome.

That's why you have other vehicles to PROTECT the transports.

The Imperial military was always pretty bad at fighting Rebels. Not destroying any escape pods regardless of life readings? Going door to door to check for droids with crucial intelligence and stopping because a door is fucking locked? They send in some guys to do some scans and don't bother to actually keep an eye on them? Guards near a mysterious ship all magically lose their comms and no one takes any precautions? One guy charges a squad and they all RUN AWAY?! Fuck, that's just A New Hope, too. In a straight-up fight the Imperials do well against most targets, but they've never been particularly smart or competent.

The EU NR failed, straight up failed, to protect its citizens against the Vong. It failed to eliminate the Empire which, hilariously, turned out to be a good thing because only the IR was able to actually defeat the Vong. It even failed to keep the peace amongst it's own citizens because Bothans. It never accomplished anything of note, which is how Huxes like it, I guess.

>baiting this hard

>The EU NR failed, straight up failed, to protect its citizens against the Vong.
Failed to protect them all, but they formed an alliance with the IR and saved the rest.

And really, it was the Hutts who got the worst of it.

So, what? The EU NR removed the threat of the Empire from the Galaxy? Stood strong and united against all comers? I'm curious what kind of revisionism you're trying to pass off, here.

Yes they were.

In fact, the reasons you listed are the same ones I list when I bring this up.

Before, EU at least gave us a large degree of competence and showed that the Empire was a diverse force that had it's morons and geniuses alike.

Not everyone was an Ozzel.

Nowever, now it seems to be that nearly everyone in the Empire is on the spectrum between Ozzel and Hethir, or approaches that.

Exactly what I said. They failed to protect their citizens, so the Empire had to come in and do it for them. Then the NR died, and the replacement government went through having either Imperials or an actual Sith for a ruler. Then people got tired of that shit and just basically flocked to the actual Empire, because at that point you may as well.

In short, EU NR never provided any stability, to the point where the galaxy went back to the Empire because at least they ran the trains on time.

The defeat of the Empire in Canon just seems like the Empire threw common sense and intelligence out the window and destroyed itself in a goofy, cartoonish fashion that was boring and uninteresting to follow.

The new lore also goes out of it's way to paint the Empire as incompetent from it's formation to it's end.

It's hard for me to believe it's the Rebels fighting with a handicap when the Empire acts like it does.

The problem wasn't that the Imperials were bad at fighting Rebels, though. They were always supposed to be, since they were a galaxy-wide military police better at shooting civilians than at something that shoots back. The problem was some EU authors who wanted to make the Empire better than that, not realizing that the Imperial threat didn't stem from smart tactics or cunning planning, but from the sheer resources at their disposal and their complete willingness to commit any level of collateral damage to get at their targets.

the empire's biggest problem was that past a certain point, EVERYONE in a leadership position was there because they were good at politics, not their job. Like, that shit's bad enough in RL militaries, but int he empire it was evastly worse.
Remember, Pellaeon was a captain for THIRTY YEARS and it tool the literal disintegration of the imperial navy as a coherent entity for a guy who's a really excellent leader with absolutely no political ass-kissing skill to move up to flag rank

The NR forced the Empire to stop being evil cunts, and then the coexisted for something like 70 years.

They also won on technological merit, unveiling things like the New Class and new fighter types, putting the knowledge gained against fighting Imperial warships to use.

Granted they didn't destroy the Empire and had many hurtles before their eventual reformation into the Galactic Alliance, but they were never dumb enough to disarm and saw the importance of keeping a strong military.

Basically, after Endor, all of the old Republic holdouts had no reason to not surrender to the New Republic. Without Palpatuine, the Empire wasn't the legitimate government anymore. And who does that leave? The fanatics, the Huxes, the ones who think fear will bring the systems back in line. Killsats are no more goofy or cartoonish than a death moon, user.

As for the rebels, they are fighting with a handicap because of the sheer resources the Empire could call upon because it was able to pass itself off as the legitimate galactic government for 20+ years. The death of Sheevy-peeve threw that into the bin, along with his leadership and the leadership of all of the higher-ups that had been on the death Star when it blew, PLUS Vader, PLUS Piett...

>Gozza a cute bote
I always thought the trade fed 'pay up bitch' landing ships where some of the coolest. Sort of a giant biplane

I really love the armor from this level of Rebel Strike. Armored flightsuit or something more?

The NR wasn't able to bring an entire nation of war criminals to justice and were fine with letting an anti-democratic oligarchy continue to dictate it's citizens lives. It gave up after fifteen years of failure, and then died fifteen years after that.

i mean, i guess, if you're into BBW.
sure, whatever.

>were fine with letting an anti-democratic oligarchy continue to dictate it's citizens lives.
Because A: the Empire had reformed to the point where they just took taxes to fund their fleet and mostly stayed out of day-to-day living on any world but Bastion and B: the NR weren't led by Neoconservatives happy to send people to their deaths to "Liberate" people who had no apparent interest in voting for a government beyond their own world.

is this idiot whos obviously never actually read any EU stuff still shitposting about the fucking EU NR? fucker is sounding more and more like a deluded rian fanboy faggot.

Those don't exist. The correct term is a Shill.

also the peace accords specifically said that any world that didn't want imperial rule could walk away, and the NR had always had that rule, so after that only people who actually wanted empire still had it.
plus the NR had also spent the last fifteen years systemically hunting and killing literally millions of imperial war criminals as kind of a side line to the main operations, so there honestly wouldn't have been many walking around the remnant anyhow

>B: the NR weren't led by Neoconservatives happy to send people to their deaths to "Liberate" people who had no apparent interest in voting for a government beyond their own world.

>implying the Remnant let it's citizens vote.

Also, thank you for highlighting how shitty a galactic government the EU NR was for me. I mean, if a state governor abolished his state legislature and declared himself supreme ruler of his state...would you just be OK with that? Would it be 'neoconservatism' to send in the Army to relieve the faggot of his delusions of grandeur?

The NR was supposed to restore democracy to the galaxy, not just part of it.

The legends NR was actually pretty libertarian though, they were completely jacked up on 100% voluntary association and shit

If the Imperial is just a police force, then it's a forgone conclusion they were never going to win and the whole narrative of there being a "struggle" becomes laughable.

Having antagonists that are skilled and threatening is what makes the protagonists shine, as it's a greater accomplishment that they were able to overcome such odds.

Having them overcome some bungling morons that they outclass naturally leaves little room to learn and grow and makes the whole thing stink of "wank" as people call it.

Actually many of those people in political positions could perform their jobs well, or had unique talents, like many of the Grand Admirals appointed to their positions.

Yes some where there due to nepotism, but many were also there due to having a genuine skill that caught Palpatine's attention, and many would go on to prove it in the years following the Empire's collapse, whether it was against the emerging New Republic or their Imperial rivals as the Civil War heated up.

It is the execution of Cinder that is goofy and cartoonish, not the tools used to accomplish it.

Also, I find stupidity, ineptitude and incompetence to be a bigger handicap than a lack of resources, and so far the new Canon seems to justify that if the combination of Rebels, the OT films and Aftermath is any indicator.

CALL THE SENATE, I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

>The NR was supposed to restore democracy to the galaxy

I think the Canon one was supposed to defend it too, but I see they failed miserably in that goal and fell prey to the very thing that they were attempting to restore and protect.

>>implying the Remnant let it's citizens vote.
As part of the treaty they had to accept planet wide plebiscites to determine membership.

>like many of the Grand Admirals appointed to their positions.
they were notable exactly BECAUSE they were an unusual exception to the general rule of shitty to mediocre high officers.

Also the thing about the warlord era is that the shattered leftovers of the empire ended up being *more* dangerous than they were as a whole exactly BECAUSE the leaders were now the biggest ass-kicking guys around instead of the biggest ass-kissers

next you'll say the death star was the perfect hull archetype and all designs should be /spheres/

i bet you think hapan battlewagons are sexy too.

filthy degenerate. you probably think a squadron of Nebulon B's fighting a big mon cal cruiser is Hot.

Yeah, usually when a large nation suddenly breaks into a bunch of smaller ones, the overall quality of life doesn't really tend to improve.

>If the Imperial is just a police force, then it's a forgone conclusion they were never going to win
It's a foregone conclusion that they were never going to win because they're the bad guys, user. if you can't let go of your suspension of disbelief for a 2 hour space opera you're not going to enjoy it very much, they're not heavily grounded in reality.

>Having antagonists that are skilled and threatening is what makes the protagonists shine,
Not necessarily skilled, just threatening. And as I said, the limitless resources of the Empire and their utter depravity are the source of their threat. Which doesn't mean you can't have elite Imperial forces like Thrawn or Fel, but they're not the norm.

>like many of the Grand Admirals appointed to their positions.
They were, for the most part, spice addicts, political toadies, and the odd Force User that Palps took a shine to.

>It is the execution of Cinder that is goofy and cartoonish, not the tools used to accomplish it.
Feel free to elaborate, because it seemed pretty straightforward: Palps has a dead drop that sends out orders to his most fanatical commanders to raze Imperial planets. Palps does this to spite anyone who managed to off him (Vader doing a power play was probably his lead suspect) and officers carry it out because they're fanatics and it's not all that different from any other mass slaughter of civilians they've carried out under orders.

It held up for 30 years of peace with no Sith, civil wars, Imperials, or anything else making its citizens lives miserable. That's a far better track record than it's EU counterpart. And it's not gone yet, unless you think the First Order are going to win in Act Three.

Palpatine's backup plan was to order his officers to burn the Empire to the ground and go start a new one.

It's kinda dumb.

It wasn't his backup plan. It was a contingency of "I didn't survive? You guys failed. Fuck you all, but especially these planets in particular."

more accurately his "backup plan" was "Well if I can't have it; THEN NO ONE CAN!"

80% of everything related to the MouseCo's NuCanon is retarded. The remaining 20% is "interesting, but could've been done better by competent writers/screenwriters/directors."

Just ignore this Disney shill and move on. The fact we're in an era where megacorporations paying astroturfers $20 an hour to shitposting on Mongolian throat-singing boards isn't that unlikely is depressing.

I mean, in Legends this was kind of his plan too, it was just more subtle and bureaucratic than literally "burn this shit down when I'm gone".

> if you can't let go of your suspension of disbelief for a 2 hour space opera you're not going to enjoy it very much, they're not heavily grounded in reality.

There is a difference between suspension of belief and the enemy being so inept, it's easy to recognize at the beginning of the story that they aren't up to the task of challenging the heroes, therefore making any part of the struggle against them a drab and boring one.

> And as I said, the limitless resources of the Empire and their utter depravity are the source of their threat

Except that threat can be null if they don't know how to use said resources towards anything meaningful, or use them effectively, which the Empire fails at in Canon.

> Feel free to elaborate

The fact that the plan was to burn the Empire down was cartoonish, and the fact anyone went along with that instead of carving out their own realm is mind boggling.

Before now, this is the Empire in Canon that has been seen engaging in perfidious activity and back stabbing at the highest levels, and it isn't really explained what a lot of the people enacting this ludicrous and ill thought out scheme are getting from it.

> It held up for 30 years of peace with no Sith, civil wars, Imperials, or anything else making its citizens lives miserable. That's a far better track record than it's EU counterpart

Because the Canon New Republic is operating in a much smaller political climate than it's EU counterpart.

> And it's not gone yet, unless you think the First Order are going to win in Act Three.

Of course it's not gone. Just it's entire fleet and the bulk of it's military.

But even then, given how inept and bungling the Empire that the First Order is descendant from is, I knew they weren't going to win at the start of this anyway.

Nothing about the struggle between them and the Resistance has been all that compelling.

I think it's mentioned he endorsed the Civil War between his followers, as it weeded out the unworthy and left a stronger core for his return.

EUEmpire: Still incredibly powerful, could conventional demolish the Rebellion/New Republic in open combat, defeated due to their own hubris, inability to adapt combat strategies, and an internal civil war. Some silly shit in there in some stories, but on the whole, competent and serious.

>NUEmpire: the limp dick olympics

>literally constructs dozens of clones and prepares an entire contigency plan to return if he ever somehow dies which he perfects after he dies and comes back with a vengeance to restore the empire
>>he endorsed the civil war and wanted the empire to fall

>In short, EU NR never provided any stability, to the point where the galaxy went back to the Empire because at least they ran the trains on time.
And the Canon NR was lousy with Imperial sympathizers and crypto-Imperials from the start, and folds like a cheap suit the moment a single warlord group and their superweapon of the week roll into town.

>they were notable exactly BECAUSE they were an unusual exception to the general rule of shitty to mediocre high officers.
Well, let's go through the list here:

>Batch
More of a researcher than an admiral, known as "the invisible admiral" because he didn't like the politics of being a Grand Admiral.
>Declann
Literally elevated because he was a force user. Couldn't save Endor.
>Grant
Actually capable, but the fact that he was a firm believer in the party line didn't hurt.
>Grunger
In it for himself, pretty much one of the first Imperial warlords to pop up. Died fighting...
>Pitta
Basically, that guy who's 1/8 black in the Ku Klux Klan. Literally known only for being so anti-alien that Hux would have called the guy a blowhard. Became a warlord, died with Grunger
>Il-Raz
Wasn't even in the military when he was promoted. Killed himself a while after Palpy died, having accomplished basically nothing.
>Makati
A literally who that no one understood how he became Grand Admiral. Had a rivalry with the Prophets of the Dark Side that no one really cared about. We don't even know how he died.
>Syn
Moderately competent, though apparently not impressively so. Died going up against Ackbar.
>Takel
Known for being high on Dark Greetings and that's about it.
>Zaarin
In it for himself, betrayed the Empire even before Endor.
>Tigellinus
Politics player
>Teshik
Good admiral, one of the few that really deserved the rank.

And of course, if you count Thrawn he's obviously more than competent. So there's a few decent ones in the mix but they're not the rule.

On top of that, Palpatine all but says that the Imperial Military is hardly worth being called a military.

I believe one of the books states that one of the reasons for the creation of the Death Star was so that he and Vader would no longer have to be the icons of fear and terror that held the Empire together.

The fact that such a powerful weapon is needed to do so, means that the Imperial military is not up to the task of doing so in it's place.

>any other mass slaughter of civilians they've carried out under orders

They'd never done it to their own people beyond Alderaan, definitely not strong human loyalists.

You can handwave Cinder as making sense because "space opera" all you want, you can justify the Canon Empire being a bunch of miserable dumbshits because "bad guys" all you want, but that doesn't make either of them good, acceptable, or justified.

You don't have to be an Impfag to know a good story needs a good villain. If fucking Sauron just tripped over his own feet and got bitchslapped by some random drunk guy talking about hope and freedom, it'd have been a fucking boring story. Being the bad guy doesn't mean you have to be totally incompetent, and even Rebfags shouldn't be happy with that, because the Empire losing because it's Space Idiocracy while the Rebellion wins because HOPE AND FREEDOM makes the whole thing lame and uninteresting.

Likewise, "space opera" isn't an argument. It never has been. If a constellation of JarJar appeared and took a shit on Kylo Ren's face while Mickey Mouse flew through the sky on a skateboard in Episode IX, you couldn't justify it by saying "dude it's just a space opera."

The space opera genre isn't an excuse to throw nonsensical garbage onscreen with no point or reason.

They were also ignorant enough to have the best and brightest, and indeed the entirety, of their military in one spot, which is a strategic "no-no" given that is apparently what crippled the Empire after Endor.

They learned nothing from their victory at all.

>when the thread goes to shit this quickly

I think the main reason the Empire's become so stupid and incompetent is because Disney's taken an obsession with making them literally Nazi Germany. The official Star Wars website makes bizarre mentions of Nazis or WW2 just about any time it talks about Palpatine, the Empire, and its history. It falls into the same reason a lot of movies and games make Nazi Germany look stupid and incompetent, because they're worried that people might say they're Nazis.

Is it unrealistic and unnecessary? For sure. Is it a corporate marketing decision? You bet your asteroid.

As was already pointed out in , this has been a part of the canon since the word go. If you don't like it that's fine, but stop trying to twist Star Wars into what you think it should be. I'm fine with the threat being endless stormtroopers who close the blast doors at the wrong time.

>Except that threat can be null if they don't know how to use said resources towards anything meaningful, or use them effectively, which the Empire fails at in Canon.
They don't have to use it effectively for it to be a large threat, user. Even if every trooper is only a small threat because they tend to miss and don't think up clever tactics, that threat is large when you're facing 100 of them.

>The fact that the plan was to burn the Empire down was cartoonish, and the fact anyone went along with that instead of carving out their own realm is mind boggling.

No more cartoonish than the plan to blow up a core world with 2 billion inhabitants on it. And remember, these were Palps top picks for "are loyal to me and will do whatever I tell them." The self serving ones weren't relied on because Palps isn't a fucking moron.

The NuCanon New Republic fleet wasn't even all that great. They'd downsized it and returned the bulk of military power to their member planets.

indeed.
what shall we talk about instead?
Waifus?
starfighters (I know, I repeat myself)?
RPG campaign ideas?
Cool NPC ideas?
lewd handholding fanfiction?

And yet it managed to have peace for 30 years. More than the EU NR ever accomplished.

Well, it IS specifically stated in ANH that fear is what the Empire uses to keep the systems in line. I don't understand why so many people are surprised that removing that fear led to the downfall of the Empire.

Did the Rebels put a bigger emphasis on tanks than the Empire?

Their armor pool seems to be a mixture of Clone Wars surplus-cast offs, and newly built units that seem to be quite exceptional.

Also, between the Hailfire tank and the Rebel proton torpedo launcher, which is likely to hit the hardest as far as ordnance volleys go?

You really can't judge the smarts of mooks based on an action movie, because in just about every action movie the mooks are expendable dipshits. Ironically the Stormtrooper Effect is the name for it yet Stormtroopers are probably more competent than most generic movie baddies, but elite shock troops still lose to teddy bears when plot demands it.

It's just not a good argument, because the heroes have enormous amounts of plot armor. It shouldn't reflect the mooks on the whole.

It's like saying Russian special forces are head-over-heels dumb and would lose to high school students because it happened in an action movie.

You should go read thrawn or Tarkin. They're competent it's just that in the end they lose because of their arrogance. Tarkin was a fucking masterful tactician, it makes sense he would eventually get too big for his britches. You need more than 'REEEEE U NEVER READ TEH EU' as an argument. Lets take Daala for example. No matter how much you wanted to fuck her, she was incompetent and only served to bring the empire/tarkin down as a character.

>Well, it IS specifically stated in ANH that fear is what the Empire uses to keep the systems in line

The LOCAL OUTER RIM sectors. Man, people really misconstrue this line.

Honestly, given the timeline, the NuCanon New Republic is pretty much where its counterpart was, just with the Empire Part II instead of the Vong.

Isn't the Tarkin book the Newcanon shit that established the NuEmpire was made only to cause suffering and added the unnecessary change that EU's womanizing Tarkin was now actually gay and was fucking a stormtrooper?

>They'd never done it to their own people beyond the 2 billions people they did

They call themselves the galactic government. Literally every slaughter of civilians (and there are a fuckton in both canon and EU) was against their own people. It's not fucking shocking that they're willing to carry out yet another fucking genocide.

>You don't have to be an Impfag to know a good story needs a good villain.

And the Empire is a good villain. That doesn't mean they have to be SMART villains as a whole (they did still have competent officers).

>If fucking Sauron just tripped over his own feet and got bitchslapped by some random drunk guy talking about hope and freedom, it'd have been a fucking boring story.

Which never happens in canon, so you;'re just making shit up now.

the thrawn and tarkin books are disney new canon.

thrawn TRILOGY is EU.

>that threat is large when you're facing 100 of them.

Not really.

The Emperor's "Best Men" on Endor weren't much of a threat at all and their lack of common sense is what lost them that battle.

> Palps isn't a fucking moron.

Now see, that is debatable given the choices he's made up to this point.

His character starts degrading heavily after the events of Revenge Of The Sith.

The Rebels fight an uphill battle right up until the Battle of Jakku, no different from Legends. I don't know where you're pulling this bullshit out of your ass that the Empire is basically handing the Rebels victories. I would like some actual points, because the only one you could even possibly try and use is Operation Cinder. Which if you understood how it worked and played out, you'd know it was no easy feat at all for the New Republic to come out of that the way they did.
>anybody who likes Canon stuff is a SHILL! SHIIIIILL!!
Everytime, EUfag.

Gee, I'm so glad he said "FEAR will keep the local outer rim sectors in line." And then blows up a peaceful Core planet. Really shows that the Death Star is only there for the Outer Rim.

Because almost nothing happened in those 30 years, while the EU NR faced constant galactic crises from its inception. Canon NR lucks into the Empire literally killing itself out of plot convenience and does jack shit about the First Order forming and repeatedly violating its sovereignity. The only thing the nu-Republic does well is dying in a way as contrived and embarrassing as the nu-Empire.

I don't think it's so much that the Imperial military isn't frightening, so much in that it's frightening like any military is frightening: it's a terror in all its bits and bobs, its legions of soldiers, its massive ships, its lumbering walkers.

The Death Star is a singular thing to focus on and be terrified as shit about. It isn't some more nebulous fear but rather an icon of total annihilation.

All of the above. And the more lewd the better.

I'll post more in the morning. Too tired to type out anything substantial. Have a sassy stormtrooper in compensation.

Not necessarily "fall", but he left no clear line of succession and the structure of the imperial government was a bit of a clusterfuck (especially after the dissolution of the senate) which was basically asking for it to implode the moment he was out of the picture. Which it did.

Now obviously, he did this with plans to come back, but that doesn't mean a lot of his subordinantes, infrastructure and shit wasn't fucked over because he was like "Hey it's your fucking problem now nerds".

This is different than Nu "Burn my porn collection when I'm gone" Sheev, but Disney does have some constraints they need to hit to explain their universe because everybody is old now.

>They're competent

The OT Films, Aftermath, Rebels and quite a few of the Comics seem to disagree with that notion.

A lot of them even criticize that idea as dialogue between characters.

>Pelleaon
You mean wulf lite? He was boring as fuck
>Thrawn
His novels were riddled with asspulls and impossible wins. That's not a smart leader, that's Zahn writing his character into knowing impossible things. And Force Cancelling lizards was stupid.
>Nu-canon Thrawn is set to die without accomplishing anything
So I take it you didn't read the book then. Doesn't surprise me.

Rebel one's bigger rockets, fewer per volley but more stored in the internal magazines for sustained fire.

I'd give it to the rebs.

The empire has SOME good (Hover) tanks, Firehawkes, Imperial classes of each weightclass of tank starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial-class_repulsortank plus the two different Sabertank successors, the Floating Fortress, and the Siege Tower.

Not much that moved on treads though.

>the unnecessary change that EU's womanizing Tarkin was now actually gay and was fucking a stormtrooper?
No person that absolutely isn't Jacen Solo, the Heavily-implied-gay-for-TK-421 is From a Certain Point of View and is both intentionally written unreliably and not necessarily canon at all.

>Disney does have some constraints they need to hit to explain their universe because everybody is old now

They also said they wanted to return to the "Empire vs Rebels " dynamic, which makes the destruction of the old Empire even more confounding.

>Not really.

Tell that to the rebels on board the Tantive IV. Or the ground troops at Hoth. Or 28 of the 30 fighters at Yavin.

The Empire has always been like a giant, charging bull. Easy to mislead and misdirect, but holy fuck if they get you you're in a world of hurt.

>the NuEmpire was made only to cause suffering and added the unnecessary change that EU's womanizing Tarkin was now actually gay and was fucking a stormtrooper?
What the fuck are you smoking? You got meme'd on. It's written by a legends author who is one of the best, Luceno. It made him into a stone cold leader who was born and bred to be that way
>womanizer Tarkin
There it is, the Daala defense force

Define "emphasis." The Rebels had greater variety, sure, but it could never hope to match the Empire's sheer numbers or the record of units like Hell's Hammers. Given the Rebellion's emphasis on stealthy guerrilla warfare and lack of resources, it also seems logical to assume that its armored warfare doctrine would not be as well-developed as the Empire's.

>Because almost nothing happened in those 30 years
Because the NR kept the peace. They dismantled the Empire and let an entire generation experience life under a peaceful democracy instead of an oppressive dictatorship.

>he believed /tv/s memes

There's a difference between blasting down Noghri or Geonosians who you're told are out to slaughter your own species (and in some cases actually were) and killing some of the most loyal citizens of the Empire, which they didn't do. The only case I can think of is with that Shitstal Star book and I don't think anyone wants to remember that.

Even Alderaan NO ARGUMENT PLEASE I AM JUST BEING OBJECTIVE was done under the impression that the entire planet was in cahoots with the Alliance, and while we know it was probably just the ruling class, the crewmen on the Death Star didn't know that. Regardless of what or how you think about Alderaan, it wasn't them massacreing civilians for no reason. They thought they were doing the right thing and fighting enemies of the Empire.

Operation Cinder's explicit intent is to kill off loyal citizens, and Battlefront 2 explains in the most idiotic, terribly written, nonsensical way possible: "We need to show them the Empire is still in charge."

I'm not going to deny that the EU Empire committed massacres, but it did so with a purpose and a reason behind it. NU Empire by its own admission does it because lol we're evil lol suffer machine.

That's the difference between the evil of the EU Empire and NU Empire. Lawful Evil vs. Chaotic Stupid.

>You mean Wulf lite? He was boring as fuck
How can one man be so much of a retarded shitsmear?

Which book did then? I'm genuinely curious.

I know a book said the Empire was made to be shitty and Tarkin was gay, and everyone ripped it apart for those things, but I don't remember which book.

It's...not that confounding?

They needed to not undo the victory at RotJ and render the entire OT moot. So, they sped up the fall of the Empire after that point with a logical assumption: "If Palpatine wasn't able to bring himself back from the dead, he'd have no interest in preserving the Empire past his death. In fact, he'd actively put in mechanisms to dismantle it to spite whoever killed him."

With the Empire out of the way soon after RotJ, you have time for decades of peace that lets the struggles of the original cast mean something. But you want a similar conflict, so you focus on a shadow war against a would-be Imperial successor.