Why doesn't Veeky Forums want gunblades in their fantasy games?

Why doesn't Veeky Forums want gunblades in their fantasy games?

Usually because most of the class fighting styles don't cover it. But then I realized that Swashbuckler exists so then I allowed it.

But we do. Just not the weeb version.

Because they usually use your shite weeb version and not something that would work.

Because it's fucking retarded? Good luck swinging that shit around and not fucking up your wrist. And how the fuck does the thing even work? You load bullets in it and they magically explode when you press the trigger? Why not make things easier and just have a magical fire fucking sword instead.

Also FF8 was one of the worst FF games ever.

As far as I can remember, the firing mechanism makes the gunblade vibrate extremely fast, hence why you need to hit the trigger to do some very strong extra damage, and why the timing element is so important (because otherwise it's a whiff and the kinetic force is just fucking up your wrist with no other conduit).

Also OP:
>the ICONIC gunblade is a revolver grip, looks kind of awesome
>the rival's gunblade isss... uh... aahhhh...

Because it sucks being a sword and it sucks being a gun.

Only if I can also have spearrifles and macecannons.
Oh wait, I play Anima.
nvm, I'm good.

It's been tried at various points in history, and turns out to be a pretty bad idea.

Just carry a separate gun and sword like a normal person.

What a bitch it would be to clean!

This man gets it

>OP asks about gunblades in FANTASY games
>replies are all “hurr iz not realismstic!”
Can’t tell anymore if this is just a lack of being open to fun ideas, or a lack of reading comprehension.

Most people have agreed that gun blades are garish and lame
>but fantasy
Yeah you can have anything in a fantasy setting so how about something thats not boring

He also wields it differently then Squall does sort of like some rapier type stance and mostly sticks to slashes and pokes where as Squall wields his more like a saber/katana

Because that particular version of the gunblade is horrible, functioning neither as a gun nor a blade. It has an awkward grip and the only use for the gun part is to supposedly shoot the blade in order to make it vibrate.

Lightning's Gunblade on the other hand is cool, because it's a gun that transforms into a blade. It actually has use in both roles due to having two separate forms.

If there are gunblades, you either need to also include guns or jump through a lot of hoops to explain why no one uses them.

If you include guns, though, then you need to explain why people still use blades. Including gunblades.

So it's a lot of work to maintain internal consistency for something that might not have the right tone for your fantasy setting anyway. Also they're just lame.

>spoiler
Holy shit, you're wrong.

He holds the fucking pistol gangsta style.

That fucking thing doesn't look like it functions in ANY fucking way. The grip is even more fucking awkward, and the weapon has so many holes in it that it probably couldn't take any impact at all. Plus, the only firing mechanism of the gunblades in FF8 is the hammer slamming down onto the base of the blade, it doesn't actually fire anything. That abomination would have misfires and jams galore from all the moving parts, plus its aim would probably be way out of alignment from being swung around and slammed against things. And finally, any major impact would snap the blade off because the blade has HINGES, and thus no actual support for itself.

The gunblades in FF8 are unrealistic, but at least they're convincingly useful as a sword, aesthetically pleasing, and the grips seem ergonomic because they're made of something that is inherently comfortable to grip. Lightning's weapon looks really fucking uncomfortable and absolutely not functional in the SLIGHTEST.

too uncool

Because they're dumb.

Best gunblade, coming through.

Because it's fucking retarded.

This is the stupidest shit I have ever seen.

>"How dare you put something unrealistic in a fantasy setting!"

Because gunblades aren't anime enough for me.

>logic doesnt apply anymoe cuz they is magic

Thats not the same thing desu
The ff gunblade "bullets" are shot to make the blade vibrate, making more damage
The Reiterspallach or the Riflespear are just modular weapons making way for the canon, its much plausible

Nobody specified that they had to be Final Fantasy gunblades, you sperg.

Yeah and if you notice his trigger finger is straight and he uses that stance for wide slashes

There have been a lot of real world attempts to make gunblades. Its just that the ones that look like the anime version generally don't work very well. The closest thing you get to one that's useful is a rifle with a bayonet because a rifle is at least somewhat close to a spear in shape. For a pistol/sword type deal, you're really just better off with a pistol in one hand and a sword in the other. Like a pirate. Don't you want to be like a pirate?

That's not entirely true. There were definitely successful historical gunblade designs.

>Pistol grip sword
>Ergonomic

Pick one.

> successful
As a cool thing to show off to your friends at court. They were never really very good as actual weapons when you could easily carry both a sword and a gun without needing to stick the two of them together.

Repeating air rifles with pilebunkers are common to two factions in my setting.

they are too dumb, no ammount of suspension of disbelief justifies a sword with a cylinder and trigger and no barrel

Like a long Katar?
If the gun part was an actual gun it could be cooler. There are real life versions of that.

What about a setting based on a 90s 12 year old's rule of cool?

We need more Anime Blasting Power

>Not posting princess panoply or usurper's roar
I'm slightly dissapointed

They can be used, but the dumb "bullet shot causing a shockwave that makes the edge edgier" is way too dumb to deal with.
Just make them actual gunblades, that functions as gun and blade and it will be ok. Mixing guns and blades can be cool if done right.

literally all I said was it would be a bitch to clean.
>trying this hard

Just fire another round and it cleans itself

Patrician taste.

Because FF8!Gunblades are retarded and we would be better off ripping off the HF Sword from Metal Gear Solid 2 which does the vibrating blade WITHOUT the firing bullet idiocy and has a non-lethal mode.

Forgoing realism for the sake of coolness is fine.
Gunblades are not cool.

When was it said that the HF sword had a non-lethal mode?

Isn't a macecannon just a cannon?

In-game, when you can hit a button to swap it to doing stun damage.

They are retarded, but not retarded enough for me. I need double scythes for double the retardation.

Gunspears work better since guns are essentially clubs in terms of handling. Try grabbing an AK or AR and try to swing it in comparison to a proper medieval weapon.

they look dumb

AAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAĄAAA

The item description. Push square to Kenshin that shit and hit with the back.

>Also FF8 was one of the worst FF games ever.
t.Cloud

How would you redesign the ff8 gunblade to be more functional. If it is basically a more primitivr HF blade, how do you redesign the grip and mechanism to make it fuctional? Cause the blade seems fine to me.

Thise gun spears are literally just a musket with a bayonett, except it worse at aiming.

I don't want gunblades ala FFVIII because they're both hideously designed and don't actually make any sense.

If it fits the tone and setting, I'd even allow dumb shit like these. But the FFVIII gunblade is so uniquely stupid that you're not allowed to have it.

>gun spear

You mean something like this?

Still fucking stupid but at least functional.

Don't stipulate 8 like that, there aren't any better gunblades elsewhere in the series.

Internal consistency exists and is required, even by the most fantastical of tales. Unless you have an in-setting reason explaining how the fuck gunblades make sense, they're dumb.

Actually, is it more like a slashy pile bunker? Because I remember some cool pile bunkers.

Like fuck I don't.

Nah, it's a slightly smaller size shot than your standard cannon, and it's mounted in a two-handed mace.

Why... is it a break action if it's a flint lock?

There were breech-loading guns firing brass cartridges from that period.

It's not even a rifle. It's a shotgun.

Why, of all the times in FF games and media they use a Gunblade, do people post the most retarded version of the concept from FFVIII?

Couple things off with that though. See how that cartridge has a small thing on the top? That's for letting the powder be lit. And that's a wheellock.

Flintlocks don't generate nearly the same amount of sparks and the fantasy one has no sections cut out to allow for the sparks to funnel into the various cartridges.

Also, I wasn't aware fantasy was a time period?

...whatever.

I'd use them in a Final Fantasy game

Because ff gunblades are retarded.
>Affix revolver to sword
>Fire blanks
>Sword vibrates through armor
Why not use the gun portion to perhaps...shoot bullets while you're stabbing someone?
Also,
It looks fucking retarded as well.
>10/10 concept
>2/10 execution
>-10/10 style points

Welcome to the Double Club, a club for the appreciators of stupid double weapons.

Had a knightly character affix a primitive flamethrower to a halberd. It has a chance of exploding whenever he attacks or blocks with it if it has a full tank.

Gunblades like your pic would take a pretty severe negative due to the poor balance

Glorious

Why not make it a shotgun?

>muh realism

>I don't like gunblades, let's go into a thread about gunblades!

>OP asks why people dislike thing
>anons say why
>idiot, whether OP or another user, gets butthurt over on-topic replies

Didn't even read/10.
I like guns inside of blades, not juryrigged vibrator swords. This is how you ranged sword.

Sexy

Because I hate argon crystals

gunblades are as ugly, unwieldly, and unrealistic as chainswords

No, I just hate Lightning's Gunblade because it looks like shit.

Liking Squall's gunblade because it doesn't look like a horribly mishapen piece of junk is desiring realism? Everything else is icing on the cake, Lightning's whatever-the-fuck-it-is just looks stupid as fuck.

Ironic because that hammer had Fire and never used Blast but then it's never been re-introduced since 4

Why doesn't Veeky Forums want franks in their fantasy games?

Me, to be Frank

>doesn't know guns and blades co-existed for hundreds of years
Hybrid gun/swords were a very real thing IRL. OP's is utterly retarded, because as others have said, instead of being a hybrid gun/sword, it's neither.

what's the point of shitty black powder guns when you can make them magical wands or "wands" in the first place?
I mean magic gun would be much more reliable and you aren't limited to balls of lead.
very true
in fact, most old pistols had a weird ball on the end of the pistol grip, or massive brass inlay to make it essentially turn from a club into a mace

I was always partial to the WizarSwordGun's design, it's pretty sleek.

Yeah, but you can shoot someone with your shotgun and then pull out your pistol shotguns when it goes empty before finishing them off with your shotgun sword.

Pistol grip swords were designed to be ergonomic
learn wtf you're talking about please thanks

>Ask why people don't like a thing
>REEEEEEEE when people explain why they don't like it
Grow up, kid.

why does the ((pistol)) have a stock

The Rule of Cool is what disqualifies gunblades. They are lame as fuck.