Would you rather go on adventure across the desert or across the sea?

Would you rather go on adventure across the desert or across the sea?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=My4RA5I0FKs
youtube.com/watch?v=czXaKxcQNkQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

fuck, I like both. irl probably the desert since I'm a landlubber. but I'd love to do a desert caravan game or a pirate/merchant age of sail game

As a general rule, I try to stay away from boats in TTRPGs. There are things in the water I don't want to meet. That being said, I'm currently in a pirate campaign and we've only run into one fleet smashing leviathan, which decided to smash the royal navy that was following us. So far it's been fun.

Most people who dwell in the desert know how to survive it and are able to find enough vitamin C to avoid scurvy. Scurvy is not fun.

The sea. One of my long term goals is to learn how to sail and buy a both. My family used to do a lot of sailing when I was a child, and it's left me with a deep and abiding love for the sea, and I consider it a shame I don't actually know how to sail myself.

I'm sad that these days you can't just walk up to the docks and get a job aboard a passing ship. If you could, I'd have done that when I was unemployed for a year.

Both destinations are a horrifying way to die of sunburn, starvation and suffocation, plus meeting strangers in these environments is very dubious at best.
Trully, terrifying places, user. Your picture is basically both at once: you're going from sea/desert to the other. What a fucking hellfest.

If I was lost at sand or sea and arrived in the OP’s pic, I would kill myself. God is just laughing at you at that point

The point of an adventure is having it be either, or both. If you're somewhere uncomfortable or unrelatable, thats still roleplay yo.

Having said that i'd be more at home at sea

I don't really know that that really follows. I'd think you're about as likely to meet something nasty like a dragon or some sand worm as you are to meet a kraken.

There is nothing in the desert and no man needs nothing

I forgot to say dehydratation, but maybe starvation covers it. But that pic, jesus christ, trully a preposterous place. It's a choice of dying wet or dry. I don't even-

Desert. Every time in every single campaign any of my characters set foot on a boat, it ended horribly, with Kraken attacks being among the milder results.

Sea.
Islands and sunken ruins sound more adventurous to me.
But that's just my preference, you could make almost the same kind of campaing using oases isntead of islands and sunken ruins on the sand. You could even put sand boats in it using that Monster Hunter style fluid sand.
youtube.com/watch?v=My4RA5I0FKs

The ocean is just a desert with it's life underground.

So's the desert, much of the time.

It's more of a result that some GMs look at the arsenal of monsters that live in water, and decide to throw at the party without thinking about how dangerous it is. Normally, a smart party would run away from a fight that they can't win, or use diplomacy, or do something else, but none of those things help a sea serpent almost as big as the ship pops out. There's also just the fear of the unknown thing. We've all fought dragons, at least one kind of worm creature, hordes of orcs/goblins/whatever, but ocean based campaigns are just rarer, so many people (myself included) just aren't used to them.

It's a song reference

Why not both?

Desert. The problem with sea campaigns is that either you need a radically different system to depict naval combat (against monsters or against other ships), or it just becomes land combat except on the deck of a ship. Deserts give you a lot more options while still having traditional combat, plot hooks et cetera.

>I'm sad that these days you can't just walk up to the docks and get a job aboard a passing ship.
You know historically sailors were press ganged, right? You end up in the pub drunk and the next morning you're on the wide open sea with a contract for 20 years or until death, with death usually coming earlier.

>You know historically sailors were press ganged, right? You end up in the pub drunk and the next morning you're on the wide open sea with a contract for 20 years or until death, with death usually coming earlier.
Yeah, but that was more in the 19th century and before, less so in modern era.
There used to be a period where most port towns had in sailor boarding houses lists of ships looking for crew, and you could show up and ask for them to hire you. For some jobs you'd obviously need experience, but occasionally they'd just need some extra hands for the simpler jobs and could take untrained people, who might then learn useful skills along the way to get themselves hired on better jobs later. My grandfather started his career as a sailor that way, and eventually became the first mate on a transatlantic freighter, and then went to study to get a captain's lisence.
These days it's all extremely heavily burecratised, and they won't let you on the sea without getting proper training as a sailor, which might involve years of studying. It's safer for sure, and I recognise it's a much better system, but it takes away the chanse for adventure as well.

Well, also, OPs pic is Namibia. There's nothing good going on in Namibia.

those sandy cheeks

Start in the desert, move towards the sea.
Thálatta! Thálatta!

Have a desert that's just an enormous expanse of seabed brought to the surface due to magic/geological phenomena.

That depends. Is the desert going to eventually lead me to an Arabian Nights setting? If no, then ocean.

I came here to post this.

youtube.com/watch?v=czXaKxcQNkQ

I'll take the sea. I don't like sand.

>dry, but somehow living giant coral reefs scattered around, brimming with life.
>sealife with magically evolved makeshift limbs and air-breathing.
>giant ravines containing the horrors of the unknown.
sign me up

Dont trust oasis full of clean, crystaline water, especially if there's nothing growing near it.[/spoilet] It is likely filled with arsenic from local deposits.

>Naga or mermaids?