Let's just say that, hypothetically, I'm tired of my character after 8 sessions or so...

Let's just say that, hypothetically, I'm tired of my character after 8 sessions or so. Is it ok to break it down to the GM, or should I avoid being that guy and stick with it until death?

Talk with the GM to figure out why you're not liking them and see if there's anything you can do about it.

FPBP

Clearly communicating with your GM is absolutely essential.

>Is it ok to break it down to the GM
of course not, what kind of faggot plays games for fun

8 sessions and you don't like the character? Yeah just tell your GM and roll up something new.

Suicide is sin.
Reckless self-endangerment is okay though.
Martyrdom encouraged even.

>get sick of my character
>"it's okay user. just make a new one and I'll make your old char an npc"
>my old char now npc suddenly becomes awesome

There isn't much to do. I usually play wizard or cleric, but this time I decided to do something different and picked barbarian. But now I have a fraction of the tools I would usually have, and it's basically just Rage > Hit stuff > Rest > Rage > Hit more stuff.
It is quite fun when I land some crits, but outside of that it's way too restricting for me. Or maybe I'm just not playing it properly.
I just fear to be seen as that guy who is changing characters every other session, or getting bored of my new character. Plus there is the RP problem, which kind of affects everyone.

Not going to suicide, if I do decide to stick with it I will. But I can't be more reckless than I'm being since the beginning without risking a TPK, I've been incorporating the ideal of a berserker and it has weirdly working out

5th?
Take some levels in fighter and go the tactics route or maneuvers or whatever they're called. Adds a lot to the front liner style play.
Not 5th?
Dunno man.

>Talk with the GM to figure out why you're not liking them and see if there's anything you can do about it.
Don't do this OP it's a trick!

What you want to do is just slowly start contributing less and less to the party. Eventually the other players (not PCs) will start to wonder why you bother continuing to show up. At this point you can "test the water" by skipping a session. If nobody texts you to ask you where you're at, you're golden!

The only downside is that you have to stop playing with your friends.

Or you could use your words and talk to your GM about it, ya idjit.

Welcome to Martials in most D&D editions, where they're boring as sin to play and have no actual depth or interesting combat mechanics. Yeah, it sucks.

Seems like a good way to give a few extra options. But still, it surprises me about how limited it is.

Guess it's what I get for going in blind. Probably just going to keep using them for multiclassing from now on.

It's kind of a sad state of affairs. The Expertise Die fighter in the 5e playtests looked great, a lot of cool mechanical and tactical depth, but they scaled it back in favour of the super simple Martials that call back to 3.5, or the Battlemasters extremely watered down reimagining of the Tome of Battle/4e Fighter.

They just seem to have something against giving martial characters actually good, interesting combat mechanics.

I'd be willing to blame the play testers for this. The people who want boring martial characters can't play characters with lots of choice and bitched and complained.

I would, if not for the evidence of them rigging the votes. The most blatant one was the magic systems votes, but after that I didn't trust their comments about taking playtest feedback at all, especially since the expertise dice fighter had a lot of public support, along with other awesome cut things like the Dragon Sorcerer.

And so the bait is revealed
6/10 for not blowing your load in the op

Was the magic system vote the one where the forum voting "mysteriously" went down when it was looking like vancian was gonna lose?

...Not wanting to play mechanically boring characters is bait now?

The very same! Funny that.

That's sad, but at the same time cool.
My characters are like my children, brah.I just want to see them happy.... and occasionally punished for their hubris.

i feel like its just barbarian and fighter
rest is pretty fun

You could find an in-story reason for your character to retire gracefully instead of being killed, maybe.