One of your players crushes the severed eyes of a slain beholder into a mixing bowl

>One of your players crushes the severed eyes of a slain beholder into a mixing bowl
>Water is added to the eye-juice and the contents of the bowl are thoroughly mixed
>The resulting mixture is poured into a small dropper bottle after being strained and boiled
>The player begins regularly applying the solution to his eyes via eye drops

How would you, the DM, handle this?

Dry mouth, nausea, vomiting, water retention, painful rectal itch, hallucination, dementia, psychosis, coma, death, and halitosis.

I guess the beholder is in the eye of the beauty this time

generally more nasty attitude, nausea, and eye lasers(uncontrollable until the process is done)

Which edition?
Also depends on the level of the player.
If it's 5e I'd eventually have him start growing eye stalks and give him eye beam abilities, which is really just giving them the magic initiate feat instead of the magic items you might have given them otherwise.
Once they get to a high enough level, I'd grant them the ability to cast Dispel Magic OR Counterspell once per day, again, instead of magic items.

They get the magic laser eyes I assume they were looking for, but gradually they begin to suffer hallucinations and paranoia, then maybe eventually blindness.

I start passing notes to all the other players and occasionally ask him to leave the room for a few minutes.

Give them one of the weaker Beholder eye-beams as a daily ability.
Drawback is addiction. The character notices weaker eyesight before the daily dose of solution; eventually, the character goes blind until they can get their fix.

Hand him lemon juice freshly squeezed into an eye dropper, and tell him to put that in his eyes whenever his character does, because that's what it feels like.
Then have it proceed to do nothing, because obviously you can't boil and strain the eyes, you have to grind them up into a very fine slurry and leave them in.

I'm amazed at how many not shitty DMs are on Veeky Forums.

Would tell him to stop being a fucking autist and nothing would happen, because it doesnt work mechanically. Tell him to go play AD&D or some other system, if they wanted to act retarded and hope for results.

How the hell is nobody laughing at this?

They're not in this thread though.

>Player has idea
>Punish him
>Waaaah players are entitled cunts who only care bout rollplay

A bunch of people have given good tradeoff answers. I am particularly fond of personally.

Underrated post

Why would you deliberately make your character absorb crazy alien monster juice if you didn't want your character to become just a little crazy and/or alien?

Nice job proving yourself both a faggot AND a shitty DM.

>player has idea
>punish him
So you're saying your only goal as a DM should be punishing your players? Why are you in a antagonistic relationship with your players? That's not how to be a good referee.

>waah players are entitled cunts who only care bout rollplay
How is actually using items in the world in a unique way "rollplay"? The only person obsessed with rollplay over roleplay here is you, who "punishes" players that don't play the ROLEPLAYING GAME exactly the way you mechanically dictate.

Fuck off, faggoty DM, and take your shitty weak b8 with you.

Of course, the beholder solution only lasts for a while -- eventually the character runs out and needs to find more somewhere.

Do you know how greentext works?

>The solution appears to give special abilities
>All the other party members start doing it
>All of them are now doomed to go blind

Nice

That is literally the only good answer ITT.

He gets worse vision but better magic... until he gets blind. After a while, he starts developing a different kind of sight, superior in every eay. The problem is his sight requires focus. This can be healed naturally after a while unless abused.

Starts to gain the lower tier eye powers, but his eyes turn into eyestalks & it starts to get worse.
Eyes in your mouth
Eyes in your butt
Start getting bloated...
Next thing you know, you are admiring yourself in the mirror as a beholder

His eyes get bigger and bigger, crushing his other features. He starts losing his hair, his nose falls off, and one day he wakes up with a single, large eye. At that point he's probably not the same person as before. His brain has practically jellified and reconstituted in his skull. It's a matter of time before his body follows, withering into a grotesque entrail of flesh off his ever-burgeoning head.

With the transformation nearing completion, he might start referring to himself with a new name, openly loathing and demeaning all around him. Until, at some point, one of his allies calls him out on his weird bullshit, his anger flares like never before, and he pierces the minds of his allies. The jolt is so intense, so sudden, it breaks them immediately. They are puppets to his will.

A little more practice to hone the skill and he perfects it, bending people to his will through sheer anger alone. The kingdom is unified under his malignant rule, but it is not enough. He goes after the other sentients, the dragons, the beasts. All are him, and he is all.

As the last flickers of his life approach, he pursues lichdom. For no matter his form now, he is still a mortal. He unlocks the secrets to eternal unlife, and his form swells as he hungrily devours his millions of willing mind slaves. He becomes a celestial body unto himself as he feasts, more and more. Not just on flesh and bone, but sand, wood, and stone are devoured. He gorges and gorges, his ever-rotting husk swelling with each hungry bite.

Sated at last, with the last crumb of earth, he floats alone in space. His mind is pulled in a trillion different directions. Even the spirits themselves could not avoid being consumed.

With everything gone, he sleeps. And sleeps. And dreams of folk he may have once knew, who are birthed from his dreams onto his new celestial form.

Silly OP
>trying this hard

Beholders have this theme centered around reality-warping dreams. So give him freakish nightmares, and let him wake up with things from his dreams - trinkets, wounds, dirt, whatever.

>As he curls up beside the campfire, he falls into a restless sleep. He dreams he's getting a haircut in a barber shop.
>Then he glances out the window. Outside, the sky is purple and people move without walking, they just glide over the earth with no movements whatsoever. Freaky.
>He looks back toward the barber in the mirror and sees that he has no face, no features whatsoever, and the scissors have replaced his hands, and they move toward his throat and slash it in one sudden motion. The last thing he sees is his blood streaming from the wound in his neck, then everything goes dark.
>He wakes up, sweaty and breathing heavily. Then somebody says "Hey, when did you get that haircut?"

Best answer.

Severe eye infection

Nothing because that is a retarded idea
If you allow it and the player benefits from it then you'll have players doing all sorts of retarded shit expecting to be rewarded for it.
Maybe make it a quest to find the uses for beholder eyes then at the end give them something to do with the eye ray abilities but not just randomly consuming the parts of things you killed.

Tpbp

Only if there isn't any risk or downside.

Just make the consequences far greater than the boons (if any). Players will feel engaged because "Hey cool, our actions had expectable repercussions", while still not giving them OP tools.

I'd treat it like a potion. Give a reasonable number of uses. 120 foot darkvision. I am boring, I know.

Best post

I read that in his voice too, fuck. Seriously underrated post.

Would really depend on the group and the type of game.

If it's a standard dungeon crawl where the players just want to have a bit of fun rolling dice and crushing monsters, I'd go with something simple like .

If it's a more serious group but still in a high- fantasy heroic adventure environment, then some powers but with dire consequences like madness, blindness or addiction as mentioned in this thread.

If it was in the current low-magic game I'm running, either no effect or a mild eye infection because that world is a bit more strict and down-to-earth when it comes to shit like this and I tend to steer away from rule of cool. Although I wouldn't expect this group to actually do it in this kind of game.

I would grant vision beyond human perception, ala Insight from Bloodborne. Sure, he can see invisible monsters to a range, but this also includes alternate realities until an eye-wash is applied.

Explain.

Your basic internet package should come with a trial copy of Google Search Engine.

You clearly have a poor opinion of your group.
Even then, there is a fair bit of mythological/religious precedence about consuming powerful foes to gain their power. It's not a made up idea, nor is it particularly gamebreaking.
It's a magic potion with limited uses, little different from a wand.
That is assuming that memes and pop culture references are worth time to google.