Player in modern game wants to take a sniper rifle, set up on a building, and assassinate a major world leader

Player in modern game wants to take a sniper rifle, set up on a building, and assassinate a major world leader.

Would you let it happen, and how?

Is killing someone with a sniper rifle that easy if previous Veeky Forums threads are anything to go by?

Other urls found in this thread:

themook.net/rpg/examples/ranged/index.php?id=four
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Assuming the player isn't superhuman then it should be incredibly hard to perform, require several sessions of preparation, and be likely to fail anyways.

depends on the leader, country, plan of the PCs, what ammunition, positioning, etc. etc. if they bother learning the routines, know who to pressure for information, have rounds that can go far and penetrate armor, and have a decent escape plan, then why not?

to continue, if your player is a shitty soyboy going "hurr durr let's go kill Drumpf" with no game plan except shoot him, then it won't work. If it's an advanced country, then you should include various intelligence agencies, task forces, and other hindrances for the PCs to deal with

Honestly this. There's a slot of factors to go into it. As a rule I don't veto anything my players try to do, I just try to adjust difficulty accordingly.

Fuck now you've got my autism in full gear. One of the longest shots recorded was from an L115A1 sniper rifle, hitting two machine gunners from about 2700 yards away. That's about a mile and a half away from the target, that's two and a half ish kilometers if you're a eurofag. Standard secure perimeters are generally 5 mile radius, and if you had an escape plan that could get you the remaining 3.5 miles away within the time it would take to lock everything down, get somewhere safe, and then leave the country you just fucked over, then MAYBE it could be possible. And then there's the big question: Why? why do your guys want to assassinate them? Is it for political reasons? money? religion? warmongering?

This

Do some research on what the secret service does to prevent assassination. And that's just what the public knows...

>operator player does weeks of preparation, multi-route plan with, cover, retreat, backups for backups and precise setup
>while they're all set up and just wait of the target, some randumb asshole blitzes the transport on street with a handgun because "that's what my character would do XD" then claim they deserve all the XP because "they totally soloed the guy"

>And then there's the big question: Why?

There's a million reasons why people try assassinating leaders.

John Wilkes Booth was a separatist who was buttmad his side lost.

Leon Czolgosz was a crazy anarchist who wanted to disrupt the system

The CIA agent who shot Kennedy did so to make sure 9/11 happened

John Hinkley wanted to impress Jodie Foster

Shit I meant to reply to Fuck. I'm tired

>blitzes the transport with a handgun
what the fuck kind of guns do you have in a handheld caliber that could go through something like a presidential limo?
>also that operator sounds like all my dudes except That Guy

don't forget the sperg who tried killing Trump because his girlfriend convinced him he was hitler
poor little autist

At the bare minimum, watch the first half of the movie The Shooter. Look at all the legwork Marky Mark had to go through, and then look at the immediate police response he got dropped on his head once his protective cover got yanked off and the framejob put on. Also look at how fucking obvious he made himself look because he didn't know he needed to be covering his tracks. Your player will not know that either.

that robot from 2169 whose failed assassination attempt inspired Hitler to give up art and pursue a career in politics was trying to stop his rise to power

unless your PC is a trained assassin who is supposed to and actually did some homework, but I'm guessing that's a tiny minority that knows you have to start covering your tracks before you even start preparing for the job
just as planned

Did you not realize he's talking about the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand? Did the actual picture of Gavrilo Princip not clue you in?

oh... autismo me was thinking he was talking about some other modern game, and I haven't seen that picture in a decade

>The CIA agent who shot Kennedy did so to make sure he couldn't rally support to dismantle the FED
Ftfy

Another good film on the subject is "The Day of The Jackal".

Actually the new record confirmed kill is 3.5 km

Yes.
If there's one thing history has taught me, it's that you can assassinate world leaders by walking up to them and shooting them in the gut with a pistol. Quite frankly, I'd be proud of how amazingly well prepared my players are in comparison to historical presidential assassins.
Why would it be that hard? So long as the PC is more competent than John Hinckley Jr, shooting the president shouldn't be too difficult.
>Why
To remove a scoundrel,
To unite a party,
To preserve the Union,
To promote the sales of my book!

DESU, killing them is easy. Killing them without getting caught or killed is next to impossible.

just because it is possible to kill/hit someone in this range wont mean your PC (he had to be world best in this after all not only top 10 stuff) will hit it in first try. i don't really think if you are going after such a high value target you will have more than one chance to pull the trigger.

>shooting the president shouldn't be too difficult
It'd be incredibly difficult to actually get a shot. Can't shoot him in the car either, because that shit's bulletproof and bomb resistant. Anywhere where he'd be out of the car would be well patrolled by counter-snipers and Secret Service.

This is all because most assassinations and assassination attempts since the 1800s were someone just walking right up to the guy and shooting him.

This. Tons of people have killed presidents, but no-one's ever gotten away with it.
>It'd be incredibly difficult to actually get a shot...Anywhere where he'd be out of the car would be well patrolled by counter-snipers and Secret Service.
Assuming procedures haven't changed since Reagan, their patrols are lax enough you can literally walk up to the president and (try to) shoot him. You just need to be able to aim better than some dork who thought murdering the president would impress a girl he never even met.

>marines ask for combat husbands instead
I have a buddy who is a hospital corpsman and he has said before that the marines are far and away the most prone to non-penetrative homosexual behavior.

>You just need to be able to aim better than some dork who thought murdering the president would impress a girl he never even met.

I mean, ricochet or not Hinckley did actually hit the President and punctured his lung. The fact Reagan survived was more a testament to modern medicine than anything else.

>Tons of people have killed presidents, but no-one's ever gotten away with it.

Only four have actually killed a US president, and one did in fact get away with it.

Hell yes! I would let them do it. Depending on the game I'd probably throw a few heavy obstacles at them. But if the game let me choose I'd say they got lucky, slipped through the perimeter, escaped by an inch.

Now the consequences? Heh, there's nothing like a golden opportunity handed to you on a silver platter.

Expect complications.

So this bait thread again?

Better question than OP's.

What system actually allows you to pull off an sniper rifle assassination using the standard combat mechanics. No narrative fudging/narrative based games. A system with hard crunch combat mechanics that can allow for a one shot kill.

oWoD.
You might have your beef with it, but it's happened enough times in my games that I know.

Savage Worlds. If your target is an Extra or you explode your damage die enough times, you will one shot it.

GURPS.

FGU's Merc, Twilight 2000, Phoenix Command all have specific rules for this.

MechWarrior 3/BT: A Time of War

Typical character can take about 10 damage before getting killed (depends on the BOD attribute). Traditional sniper rifles deliver 4+(Margin of Success)/4 points of damage on a normal hit, which even if not enough to kill outright, is enough to cause bleeding if not countered by a successful BOD attribute check - that's another 1 damage/turn and kills damn quickly. Hitting the head (by accident or on purpose when aiming) doubles the damage. Laser rifles out-range sniper rifles, have no bullet drop bullshit or anything like that to deal with, and deal 1 point more base damage, making the kill even more likely. Gauss rifles have about the same range as sniper rifles and +2 damage. And then there's the radium sniper rifle, which not only have range and damage better than a normal sniper rifle, it also gives the target radium poisoning.

And then you look at the "support weapon" category, which are crew-operated weapons meant to be used against tanks and 'Mechs, and smile.

Cyberpunk 2013/2020:

Cyberpunk 2020: A rifle does easily damage 5d6. Head shots do double damage. More than 8 points in a hit location destroys this hit location (if it's the head, the character is KIA).

I'm not 100% familiar with Cyberpunk 2013, but from what I remember it works roughly the same as Cyberpunk 2020 with the exception that firearms do variable damage depending on range (the damage 5d6 rifle would do 5d6 up to medium range, 4d6 up to long range, and 3d6 up to extreme range), pretty much like in Twilight 2000.

GURPS actually has a sniper rifle assassination combat example:

mine.
let's say the distance is about 2km, that means a base penalty of -200.
The assassin's shooting skill is around 10, which comes close to human limit.
first, you need a decent scope. x10 is good enough to allow enough "aiming" actions to cut down the penalty on skill to -5. you'd need 10 actions for that, which equals 40 seconds.
now, the effective skill is 5 (it's a d10 roll equal/below system), which means a 50% success if the target is unable to see the attack coming and if both shooter and target are not moving.
then, the shooter can make use of "concentration" to boost the skill to 8. "Concentration" makes use of the character's energy and is limited to the max. energy since you'd have to take a break to regenerate energy.

i dont know how long the aiming itself would take IRL, but i guess that's decent.

dude has voices in his head, making him schizophrenic but probably not aspergers or autistic.

although i appreciate that level of analysis may be a little taxing for you.

It would seem that the easiest way to assassinate a world leader would be a suicide bomb. Shit's hard to deal with.

Allow me to change the op question slightly. How does US for example prevent snupers from killing presidents? How do you they keep in check every window around a president?

The Secret Service has a bodyguard around the President, and they scan and search the nearby buildings. Besides, it's oddly rare for someone to take a shot at world leaders. You'd think that assassinations would be more common (Merkel and the current Pope for example, need killing) but no-one's willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for the cause.

Surely it's easy as fuck if you are inside a house to hide yourself so you can't be seen from outside. Like a courtain and some shit between you and the window should be enough.

>Merkel and based Pope in one sentence.
I somehow do not think you have a clue about real life.

As always, GURPS

Here's an example:

>he doesn't know about optics detectors

Your next game will be navigating prison politics.

re, assassinations being uncommon, it's cuz assassinating a world leader doesn't accomplish anything.
Like, say I were to kill Trump. Pence would just take his place, and nothing much would change.
That's why most presidential assassinations were by people who seemed to have really stupid motives: because anyone with a sensible motive realized killing the president wouldn't do anything, so all that's left are chumps who have decided they're going to get revenge on the president for not making them ambassador to France just because they don't speak french.

>Pence would just take his place, and nothing much would change.
It would probably get worse from the standpoint of anyone who would feel motivated to kill Trump for genuine political reasons.

On a game side, escape and pursuit, and retaliation could be fun to play.

A major world leader would probably be fairly high level and so have a ton of high level feats, magic spells and a high enough AC to be impossible to hit outside of 50 feet or so.

Pathfinder, if you spec for it correctly.
It would be a high level abomination using at least 20 source books, though.

Do you have any idea how difficult hitting a man-sized target at an obtuse angle from further than a few hundred metres is? Watch a documentary on military sniping. If their character doesn't have knowledge: applied maths then they shouldn't even bother trying.