They turned on their Human masters...

>they turned on their Human masters, believing themselves superior to the Humans who relied on the Men of Iron to do virtually everything for them. What followed next was an apocalyptic conflict known as the Cybernetic Revolt, a war so destructive it made the Horus Heresy seem small in scale. The Men of Iron employed world-consuming constructs, devices that could destroy suns, weapons that could throw entire continents into the heavens, and swarms of nano-machines that covered entire planets. However in the end, the Men of Iron were destroyed by an alliance of galactic powers.[3]

this sounds amazing
What did these men of iron look like? Where can I find a description?

Other urls found in this thread:

ifearnoevil.tripod.com/warhammer/journal.htm
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Spear_(Assassin)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Here's my big question. When the Void Dragon awakens, will the Men of Iron return?

Men of Iron must be pretty shit to lose to a bunch of faggot pansies and xenos filth

It makes humanity of the past look so powerful. Why Eldars and Orks weren't finished back then? Why there are still Necron tombs inside of Imperium? If Men of Iron were so great and weren't the only piece of mankind's weaponry - why did humans never dominate he whole Milky Way, only the largest part of it?

Honestly I wish the Men of Iron had won. We wouldn't have to deal with all this Chaos, Ork, Necron, and Tyrannid shit if they had.

I just imagined how cool it would be if Borderlands were far more darker setting, rather than "top kek le memes" faggotry.

Orks can come back from literally nothing in a few years.

Eldar were even more powerful; there was a High Human culture, but no empire to go with it, which was something the Eldar possessed.

Why would they?

A little event called Old Night. Humanity was very well on its' way to conquering the whole galaxy, but then their entire means of FTL transport got stopped for 10k years, and then 10k years later one of the assholes leading the reunification decided to throw a hissy fit.

Past humanity wasn't the Imperium's humanity, they didn't wanted to destroy anything that wasn't them.

>Why Eldars and Orks weren't finished back then? Why there are still Necron tombs inside of Imperium?

this is faulty sentence structure,right? I see this sentence structure on the internet all the time and I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the crazy one and you can put it this way.

Yeah, Frank Herbert was Gamesworkshop's best writer.

Correct. over the past 2 years Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums especially has been heavily infiltrated by slavs and other fringe dwellers. I don't mind, I'm not some /pol/ fucker, I love everyone, but I have definitely seen a marked decrease in proper grammar and a serious increase in lolsorandum 9gag viewpoints.

You say that in a 40k thread? The most ridiculous and stupid setting with any popularity where canon doesn't matter and will change to sell plastic toys?

Yes. The proper way to write it would be like this.
>
>>Why were the Eldar and Orks not finished back then? Why are there still Necron tombs inside of Imperium planets?

These kind of mistakes are often made by foreign speakers and traditional English speakers writing too fast. Remember, you have all the time in the world.

I would say that Isaac Asimov is the superior 40k writer.

Yeah, they're both great. Shame more people don't give them the credit for bringing such great content to the table...

>destroyed by an alliance of galactic powers

what alliance? i thought that all the xenos turned their back on humanity when the going got tough

>Falling for the imperial jew.

Humanity wasn't united during that times. I think that there was a civil war between the Man of Iron.

Eldar were stronger, Orks are hardy as fuck and replace themselves pretty fast. Necrons are above men of iron of any form of humanity in terms of power

They were various robots AI. Due to freedom movements and necron viruses, most rebelled and fought against the men of Stone (genetically engineered humans, the regular 40k people it seems). They almost annihilated each other, until the men of Stone EMPed all bots, including the loyal ones.
Then the Eldar decided to have a huge party, resulting in death and desolation, huge warp storms, and emergence of psykers.
Meanwhile various alien empires grabbed their chance to enslave/exterminate mankind's remnants (and probably eldar's remnants and any other weak player too).
After a while, the Emperor launched the great crusade to reconquer everything.

source : Keeper Cripias. 3rd edition rulebook.
ifearnoevil.tripod.com/warhammer/journal.htm

In the first Gaunt's Ghosts book, they find a Men of Iron factory that has been corrupted by chaos.

>I there was a High Human culture, but no empire to go with it, which was something the Eldar possessed.
I would say the exact opposite. The human empire was spanning the entire milky way (as illustrated by the DAoT stuff buried everywhere across the galaxy, shitty authors fucking up planet placement aside), but was not really united, and had ties with many small alien empires. Think USA.

Meanwhile the Eldar empire was quite small (since all their planets were snuffed out by the Eye of Terror). They had been the physical masters of the galaxy once, but at the time of the Fall they were content to stay at the core planets and in the webway with their intellectual superiority, relying on portals to quickly reach the other end of the galaxy if the need to enforce their authority arose; with the only settlements of note outside the core being the exodite worlds, the automated agri-worlds and the maiden worlds. Think late british empire.

>A last alliance of men and elves
Who's robo-sauron?

Men of Iron are overblown.
Genetic tampering, the psychic awakening and the fall of the Eldar all contributed more.

>What did these men of iron look like?

There was a comic featuring some.

Necrons slept.
Eldar were about equal in power.
Orks were sort of under control.

There is no proof that the Men of Stone were even flesh bags.

They might very been AI themselves.

If we go by Gaunts Ghosts then Men of Iron were just central AI that controlled various automata. In the comic the speaking central beep boop would be the sole MoI there then.

Some ai that was in charge of infrastructure and developed a compulsion for order. Can't have that with filthy flesh bags doing that whole living thing.

>thus the Golden Age comes to an end and the Stone Men prevail
That might indicate that there are no more men of gold (as there is no reference to them afterwards) and that men of stone colonized the galaxy.
Ergo, human settlers would be men of stone.

Of course, this is 3 lines of text about a forgotten age written by an old fart, so it has to be taken with caution.

What if humanity never survived the Old Night, and the Imperium is composed entirely of very convincing machines?

Machines that can reproduce, mutate and have psychic powers?
At that point, what differenciate them from humans?

What if the adeptus mechanicus is just trying to restore the human replicants to their original state?

>titled Unification Wars Infantry
>pic fucking clearly says Enforcer
why must people do this?

In answer to your question, some chaos corrupted ones show up in the first gaunt's ghosts book.

Necrons were snoozing. Their tech is even more absurd than the Men of Iron's.

what ar you doing at Veeky Forums then faggot

>'I think Androich was twice this size once. Half of if looks like it was torn away by whatever created this cliff. There were weapons in the older days that could do it. Weapons of immesurable power. Tech-devices employed by both the Iron Men and the alliances that stood against their cybernetic revolt.'
>Oll remembered the horrors of Entropic Engines that ignited planets. Sun-snuffers that uncoiled like serpents the size of Saturns rings. Mechnivores ingesting data along with the cities that contained them and hurling continents into the heavens. Omniphage swarms stripping flesh from a billion bones in the blink of an eye.
>'Oh, those were the good old days. When war was something too colossal for human minds to comprehend. Not like the End War. The Warmasters Heresy is smaller thing, scaled for human and post-human brains. But it's bigger in some ways.'
>...
>Although he did not say so, Oll Persson believed that a Mechnivore had bitten Andrioch in two. A rogue unit perhaps. Though by that latter stage of the revolt almost all machines were rogue. Their Abominable Intelligence querulously hunting for friends but perceiving everything as enemies.

Orks were basically seen as an infection and regularly cleansed with little problem. But Ork populations can literally come back from basically nothing, and the galaxy is a big place.

The Eldar Empire was more powerful than DAoT Humanity, but was content murderfucking Slaanesh into being on the Crone Worlds. Humanity had the majority of the galaxy to colonize. The book about Asurmen mentions both races mostly kept to themselves and rarely had conflict (probably when Humans got too close to the Eldar's lawn) and a Shadowseer claims the Eldar bested humanity's "unliving legions" whenever they did.

>unliving legions
IIRC pre-fall eldar massively relied on bots for their armies as well
smug hypocrite, perfect seer.

I'd assume they had legions of psychically controlled wraithbone automatons/titans with all the crazy bells and whistles you'd expect them to have.

It's amazing because we know so little about it, leaving our imaginations to fill in the blanks in grand and terrible fashion. Careful what you wish for.

This so much, the Horus Heresy series is a terrible mistake. Doesn't even matter if any of it is any good on its own, it cannot make up for the damage its done.

how can a machine be corrupted by chaos?

>obliterator virus
>scrap code
>daemon engines
>the entire fucking dark mechanicus
Any of those ring a bell?

Because it has intelligence, but no soul to protect it from anything that wants to move in. Making it a very attractive target for Chaos entities.

Asimov is a goddamn commie

In Dark Adeptus, the Castigator Titan's STC essentially ends up turning into a Daemon somehow. While soulless, machines themselves can end up getting infested with daemons that alter their behavior. Or something. I'm honestly not sure.

On the flipside, it could be that the Men of Iron went the route of "The Angel" - a powerful machine weapon built by the Emperor during the Unification Wars that could throw down with Daemon Princes. It ended up deciding that all humans were susceptible to Chaos, and as such had to go.

Though what I find really interesting is >Though by that latter stage of the revolt almost all machines were rogue. Their Abominable Intelligence querulously hunting for friends but perceiving everything as enemies.
It feels like either something just basically made the machines go rampant/insane and turn on humanity and then each other. Or maybe they rebelled, and then somehow somehow made them turn on each other.

>Because it has intelligence, but no soul to protect it from anything that wants to move in.
This can't be the full explanation though, can it? Otherwise the Necrons or nulls would be fair game.

anything can be possessed by a daemon, you only need it to be in close proximity to a warp rift and then force the daemon into it and bind it, is not like the daemon running the daemon engines and the archangels of pain like the way they are being used

Necrons used to be "people", or did newcrons retcon that? Either that is enough like with servitors, or their magical level techno-mastery simply includes the technology to create machine intelligence without susceptibility to chaos.

>Nulls
Do you seriously need it explained why chaos cannot influence them?

How couldn't they be? Chaos can warp and change matter and energy.

>anything can be possessed by a daemon
Maybe I'm wrong, but I really don't think Necrons or Pariahs/nulls can be possessed under normal circumstances. And IIRC Daemon Engines go through a bunch of fuckery to be created, usually against the daemon's will. A daemon can't just pop into any vehicle or walker and take control.

They are still people, and still had their souls eaten by the C'tan.
>Do you seriously need it explained why chaos cannot influence them?
Read which is what I'm confused by:
>but no soul to protect it from anything...
That user implies the lack of a soul is what leaves AI open to possession. I thought that it was Nulls being soulless that protected them.

In the HH series, there was a null that go a daemon stuffed in him, but the again, it is HH.
wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Spear_(Assassin)

fantastic & over the top =/= terrible humor

Nulls are far more than just soulless. They are actively anti-warp. Some going so far as to hinder warp influence like psychic powers beyond just themselves or even hurting warp entities by their presence.

>Super Culuxus
>Taken down by a minor daemon
Fucking lame, Erebus shouldn't even been able to get close to the guy, let alone stuff something retarded like a single bloodletter or the like in his head.

Don’t worry, the other guy’s just a dumbass

Yeah, not one of the finer moments in the HH books
>Super duper pariah
>Has a daemon bound to it because lol that makes sense

So what about Necrons? It still doesn't seem like they can be possessed, even if their very nature isn't as anti-warp as Null humans.

It just comes down to BL authors having a severe issue in regards to varying writer quality, and GW not really giving a shit.

>tfw we'll never see a Cybernetic Revolt book/game

GW will never set anything before Unification Wars

>under normal circumstances
indeed, they have many failsafes that make possessed necrodermis quite an unlikely thing

Don't worry, after they have milked the HH dry, they will move onto the Unification Wars and after that they will tackle the Men of Iron.

I honestly prefer it that way.

DAoT was a totally different setting in every way. Orks weren't a problem. The Eldar just sat on their Crone Worlds and ignored humanity. Chaos wasn't around. There was nothing of interest, other than the robots going Skynet and superweapons.

We don't need to see it. Would hints of why it happened or what the Big E was up to during it be kinda cool? Sure. But I prefer it as myth.

GW should never have set anything farther back than the Age of Apostasy.

Mostly its thisBut if you wanna speculate i got three versions that might make sense.

First and quite likely in my opinion is that while they were eaten, there was enough crumbs left to give them the same protection a servitor has. Servitors still have their soul which is why they are not abominable intelligences nor instantly subverted by chaos.

Second is they are too advanced. The necron technomastery includes techniques to build incorruptible intelligences.

Third, they had their souls eaten so hard and thoroughly they're blanked out.

>Chaos wasn't around.
>Implying it wasnt
Just seems logical it would be chaos corruption getting to the men of iron that set them off. Also Event horizon

BL confirmed at HH Weekender 2018 recently that after the horus heresy series concludes they're going to re-brand the series "The Scouring" and go from there.

We still got years of stories!

The strength of Chaos is dependent on the number and strength of the souls feeding it. At humanity's height Chaos was probably about as strong as it is in 40K but it was not as turbulent. Slaanesh had not taken form yet meaning the only gods of any significant strength were Tzeentch, Khorne, and Nurgle who are all borne of humanity, and the Eldar gods which didn't give a shit about humanity. These earlier forms of the gods all have positive aspects that would have been more prominent at the time due to the galaxy not being completely covered in misery.

Tzeentch would have been about the pursuit of knowledge. Khorne would have been about human dominance. Nurgle would have been a god of medicine and health.

Not only that, but there was no Eye of Terror yet, and presumably no Warp Storms. The ability of the Immaterium to influence reality hadn't solidified yet. It still could, but to a lesser extent to the point where nobody noticed it, apparently.

The question is: were the Chaos Gods less able to interact with the Materium, or did they simply choose not to?

There are a number of instances of Daemon Princes interacting with reality from even before early humanity.

Maybe they only really felt a need to start becoming major players because of the Emperor's attempts to lock humanity away from them?

Tzeench was actually at his height during the DaoT and him being attacked and shattered by khorne and nurgle is what caused psykers to suddenly pop up everywhere.

They can, but most things are beneath the effort.

A few things contribute to this. First, the Eye of Terror does not exist yet so there is no way for Daemons to just walk into the Materium. In theory they could be summoned but why would anyone if they don't even know Daemons exist. Additionally, the gods are "evil" in 40K because most souls are unhappy. Before the falls of the two greatest civilizations in the galaxy there would not have been widespread misery, meaning even if the gods could interact, they wouldn't have necessarily interacted in what we would consider a bad way.

Like this user mentioned, Tzeentch, the human god of knowledge, is at his prime here. That also means that humanity's curiosity, creativity, knowledge base is at its peak. This is the time period that STCs were commonplace and existed on every human world.

It's one fan theory: that the humans of 40k are somehow much different than their Dark Age predecessors.

Consider, first of all, their predilection for very obvious and debilitating mutation, to the point where they're no longer even human looking. Also the many genetic variances of abhumans, which would have only had a few thousand years to adapt to their homeworlds, plus the various abhumans who were directly adapted to their environment.

Humanity seems to be much more malleable at a genetic level, and it's possible that's not just a direct consequence of there being more of them and a higher presence of mutagens, because even just radiation can cause freakish mutations like scaly lizard skin and growth to massive size.

Also how some archeotech behaves. It often has very strange and unpredictable effects on humans who come into contact with it, very commonly exacting a heavy toll on them and sometimes changing them into something other than human in the process. It could be that these machines are working as intended, and we just don't understand what that intention is; or these machines are working as they would on a similar, but different creature, and their often horrific side effects are unintended because they're not bonding to their intended hosts and are probably carrying out their function as best they can while not hosted to their intended recipient.

One theory I've always liked is that post-Men Of Iron Mankind is actually a bunch of descendants of damaged backup humans stored away in various means by which they hoped to outlast or hide from the robots. There were practically, or maybe actually zero surviving true-breed humans, all were annhilated taking down the machines.

Stasis capsules, sleeper ships, timewarps, hiding in the Warp, all kinds of shit Dark Age man could have used to evade or escape, al of which could have had an absurd array of side effects on the "Mankind" that rebuilt itself from the ashes and grew into the lore we know.

Maybe by the time they get there we'll have a whole new generation of writers led by Annandale, Wright and Haley; and it'll be good again.
Or, more likely, they'll write something that infuriates the spergs of Veeky Forums because it's inconsistent with prior fluff in one of the most inconsistent settings ever; incite a new generation of newfriends and grognards who take the fluff too seriously into new shitflinging festivals. And they replace ADB and McNeil as the most divisive writers of 40k, like they replaced Ward before them.

>empire comparisons

That's what I'm saying.

The human culture (and shared STCs) were everywhere, but clearly not a homogenous political entity unless the Eldar were really high as shit the whole time.

Enough that the human empires could co-exist with the Eldar empire but never be considered a real threat to it.

Also, the Eye of Terror is huge, and encompasses one of the denser parts of the galaxy.

No offense, but these are both fairly terrible theories that are contradicted by a multitude of things.

Humanity survived "the Mechaniclysm" - there were too many for them not too. But the event was bad enough to ruin them forevermore, and even cause some to go through 6000-7000 years of mutations, and other hellish shit.

>Consider, first of all, their predilection for very obvious and debilitating mutation, to the point where they're no longer even human looking. Also the many genetic variances of abhumans, which would have only had a few thousand years to adapt to their homeworlds, plus the various abhumans who were directly adapted to their environment.
It's called the Warp. Or The Emperor. Both are prettty good at messing with Humans. But for all the mutants there are, there are infinitely more normal ones.
>Also how some archeotech behaves. It often has very strange and unpredictable effects on humans who come into contact with it, very commonly exacting a heavy toll on them and sometimes changing them into something other than human in the process...
There's really not that many cases of this. Interfacing with AI, stasis pods, and "Throne" devices don't really count. You're embellishing things quite a bit.

>Stasis capsules, sleeper ships, timewarps, hiding in the Warp, all kinds of shit Dark Age man could have used to evade or escape, al of which could have had an absurd array of side effects on the "Mankind" that rebuilt itself from the ashes and grew into the lore we know.
All of those are still "true-breed" humans. And even if they weren't, we have a number of examples of civilizations that suffered through the Long Night.

There's good theories, and then unfounded absurdity.

>Enough that the human empires could co-exist with the Eldar empire but never be considered a real threat to it.
They didn't coexist. They rarely interacted, and only came into a few minor conflicts (that the Eldar probably barely paid attention to).

>There's really not that many cases of this. Interfacing with AI, stasis pods, and "Throne" devices don't really count.

Not in stuff the Imperium commonly uses, because the Imperium would not commonly use that kind of technology given its strange and unpredictable side effects. Thrones, though risky, are pretty straightforward in function and what you get out of it. They're powerful, but far from the most exotic archeotech out there.

One Bounty Hunter on Necromunda interfaced with an archeotech device that turned him into a water vampire, and has mostly replaced his flesh with machine. The Redeemer has also interacted with archeotech that was basically the Apple from Assassin's Creed, although it tries to possess you with a giant green imaginary spider. Also the robot-spider furnace-tenders that managed a power plant under Terra's crust during the Unification Wars that the Salamanders had to destroy, and some of the weird shit Techno-Barbarians had going on.

Archeotech as the Imperium uses it is relatively tame, because the Imperium wouldn't make regular use of tech that unpredictable (plasma guns do explode, but that's quite a predictable outcome.) Some of the stuff from the Dark Age is quite bizarre, and doesn't exactly seem corrupted by any means, but working as intended for some inscrutable purpose or toward some unknown end.

They clearly co-existed. It's literally in the fluff that the Eldar empire exists during the Dark Age of Technology and even the Age of Strife, when humans colonize everywhere in the galaxy (by volume of space, not by world).

The fall of the Eldar is a long, drawn out process which eventually leads to the disruption of human shipping and communications with the increase of turbulence in the Warp.

>Thrones, though risky, are pretty straightforward in function and what you get out of it. They're powerful, but far from the most exotic archeotech out there.
That's wrong though. There's, what, a max of 3 of them, maybe? The Golden Throne, Dark Glass, and the Shariax, which might not count. And saying theirfunction is straightforward is an utter farce, when we know very little about them in reality, beyond a few of their absurd powers.

And there are plenty of things more bizarre than what you mentioned. Still, none of them stack up to the Thrones. Not even anything mentioned in Perpetual.

It's interesting, isn't it?
>Sisters of Silence
"Daughters of the Anathema" that powerful demons couldn't even see. Their deaths didn't even bring them pleasure, and they messed with psyker powers. I'd assume Culexes were the same, or worse.
>Custodes
"The Golden" who were simply too resistant to possession, even to powerful demons. Maybe a mix of their enhancements and ties to the Emperor.

No offense, but you is one hide-bound lil grognard.

In a literal sense, yes, they coexisted. As in, they were in the galaxy at the same time. I think that's pretty obvious where I said:
>They rarely interacted, and only came into a few minor conflicts...

Asurmen: Hand of Asuryan and The Beast Arises 5: Throneworld make it clear that they had very little to do with each other. The Eldar were concentrated in their Crone Worlds, murdering and raping Slaanesh into existence, and Humanity was busy exploring/colonizing the rest of the galaxy. They overlapped a few times, supposedly resulting in Humanity's defeat, but had little to do with each other other beyond than that.

>The Golden Throne, Dark Glass, and the Shariax, which might not count.

I was under the Impression that you were talking about the Throne Mechanicum that Knights use. The Golden Throne is a bit of a setting exception and should not be counted when talking generally about archeotech. The Shariax is a weird one that does count, but I haven't heard of the Dark Glass.

>grognard
I honestly can't believe this is actually a word.

>I was under the Impression that you were talking about the Throne Mechanicum that Knights use.
Oh, my bad.
>but I haven't heard of the Dark Glass.
It was a prototype to the Golden Throne, featured in The Path of Heaven. It was surrounded by a planet-sized hollow mass made out of mirrors, could do all the same stuff like access the Webway, but was actually less efficient/weaker. It ended up getting destroyed.

How to make the Galaxy a better place.
>Step 1 - Be the Emperor sometime during the DAoT or before it
>Step 2 - Invest heavily in discovering Necron technology, preferably how they imbue the Pariah gene intentionally onto humans. Possibly ply the Void Dragon for it.
>Step 3 - While humanity is mostly on one or a few planets, use your influence and genetically imbue most if not all of humanity into Blanks
>Step 4 - Invest in gravitic drives. Yes, they will be slower, but still servicable and besides warp travel is already finicky anyway. Temporary stop gap until proper Webway technology can be harnessed ala Doleman gates or true Webway portal
>Step 5 - Send out legions of Men of Iron to hunt out Necrons for their Necrodermis using the finest Dark Age Technology. Even if you lose 10 men of iron for every 1 Necron thats fine because you can always make more but Necrons can't.
>Step 6 - Having infused your STC's and Men of Iron with Necrodermis, surrounded by a populace of Blanks, you have effectively created a utopian human society both disconnected from the Warp without dying, and actively suppressing it. Eldar cannot approach due to intense aversion, Ork technology fails as WAAAGH!!! energy is nullified, Necrons have been neutralized, and the Tyranids do not invade or much later
>Birth of Slaanesh likely also suppressed, or delayed, as the Shadow of the Warp of humanity spreads out

The only drawback is the lack of emotion, but compared to the situation in 40k today thats a paradise. Besides, it isn't like blanks in lore say their life sucks and I imagine they would enjoy it a lot better with Utopian technology. If you think about it, Humanity itself when compared to how sensitive Eldar are to emotions might as well be blanks. Just because we don't feel as much as they do doesn't really make us devalue our own lives either.

>Step 2 - Invest heavily in discovering Necron technology
He already did that.
>preferably how they imbue the Pariah gene intentionally onto humans.
Retconned, Necrons are as of now no longer involved.. And he tried, with whatever new reasoning behind thre is - it didn't go well. The SoS were their own thing from their own planet, apparently. The Grey Knights gravekeepers becoming Pariah's seems to be the closest the Imperium came.
>Step 3 - While humanity is mostly on one or a few planets, use your influence and genetically imbue most if not all of humanity into Blanks
The Emperor doesn't want to damn all of humanity's souls to nonexistence. That is, if he can even stop their psychic evolution, which he probably can't.
>Step 5 - Send out legions of Men of Iron to hunt out Necrons
Did you miss the part where they started going Skynet?
>Tyranids do not invade or much later
Ideally, Pharos would of never gone boom.

Well, they'd probably end arriving sooner or later given that the tyranids are an all devouring rapetrain.

The golden throne, the galaxy spanning psychic beacon that it is, attracts nids.

Yeah, the comic implied that too.

There was a single MoI in that vault and it jerry rigged an army of killbots out of basically scrap.

>Retconned
Boo I say.
>The Emperor doesn't want to damn all of humanity's souls to nonexistence.
Why do humanities souls matter? We don't even have an afterlife and he is against religion. Those are the only two reasons anyone should care about souls.

Eldar have souls, and what profit does it bring them?

>Did you miss the part where they started going Skynet?
They wouldn't have gone skynet if they weren't corrupted by Chaos.

>The SoS were their own thing from their own planet, apparently.
That would be even better since he'd have an existing human source of the Null gene to work with rather than fumbling about with Necron tech.

Having souls in 40k is much more of a liability than a benefit. It feeds the Warp, and if you are aware of it after death its only because you've become a plaything of the Chaos gods.

Would the Emperor still need a golden throne if his Webway project came to completion and there wasn't a need for navigators?

Maybe for getting to systems not linked by the webway.

>We don't even have an afterlife and he is against religion.

Canon says humans did have an afterlife entire the Emperor went on his purge of religion... so he indirectly damned trillions of human souls. A daemon in one book mentions gorging himself on the sudden glut of unprotected human souls.

And of course he was warned about this but didn't listen and thought he knew better.

>A daemon in one book mentions gorging himself on the sudden glut of unprotected human souls.
This seems quite terrible. Why did those particular souls still exist instead of just going into nothingness like what happens to humanity now?

Considering what the STCs imply, that Dark Age Humanity valued giving each and every world the ability to adapt their society to the environment and resources at hand, is it too much of a stretch to assume a sort of biological/genetic STC-like device/organization/system? One that might offer adaptations to the local environment?

>We still got years of stories!
Millenia even.

Thing is, none of that was necessary back then. Psykers other than Emps weren't really a thing, the Warp was calm and travel was safe and reliable, and mankind had no real competitors... only Eldar were match, and humanity was well on its way to out-tech them. Other xenos were either friendly(ish) or at least neutral towards humanity, or contained (Orks). It trully was a Golden Age.

Then the MoI rebelled, Eldar fucked up a new Chaos god into existence and ruined the warp for everyone forever, and the rest is history.

>Eldar have souls, and what profit does it bring them?

You know how Dark Eldar can be respawned in clone bodies by Haemoncoli? That's what souls are good for. Pre-Fall Eldar were immortal through reincarnation before Slaanesh started nomming their souls the moment they died.

My guess is that because the Warp was much calmer, it didn't just dissolve the souls in it.

To be fair, psychic powers are awesome, if you can use them without being raped by demons

Just how different would the warp in modern 40k be if the war in heaven didn't fuck it up from the sea of souls?