Hey, user! I know - you have a grudge. There is a thing about Veeky Forums-hobby that irritates you

Hey, user! I know - you have a grudge. There is a thing about Veeky Forums-hobby that irritates you.
Drop some burden from your shoulders. Speak it out.

The meme that 5e is a return to an old-school playstyle. It is definitively /not/, that playstyle stopped being officially supported after 2e.

The d20 system.

I wish they'd stop pushing identity politics into every book that comes out.

I wish warmahordes had more space for /yourdudes/ without people going full autism on me.

The players. As much as I love this hobby it attracts the absolute worst dregs of human society.

Tryharding wannabe pros at anykind of competitive event. It's fine to try to win, that's what tournament are for. It's not okay to show your worst behavior that only edges bad manners, so judges can't disqualify you.
I played so many tournaments and I wanted to punch so many neckbeards.

There's no tabletop wargame I can respect. I love the idea, but it just never works to the degree I want it to. They are all convoluted as shit, imbalanced, badly written, some even go as far as making fucking eyeball measurements a skill test. Makes me feel like a proper fucking general, having to eyeball distances...

Oh my god get out of here tolkien we've SEEN it.

I hate every single thing about 5e.

I really hate how pervasive 40k is.

Hush, Drow are fun to play.

Personally I hate how few people realize how little the commonly held beliefs of Veeky Forums resemble the beliefs of the general community, and how much the suggested behaviors just aren't acceptable or normal in any social context not online.
The four guidelines on Veeky Forums that make sense:
>Don't create an Edgelord.
>Don't make a Mary Sue/Anime Protagonist.
>Don't insert your fetishes into the game.
>Talk things out like adults.
Everything else, and I mean EVERYTHING else, including that one reason I know you're going to post because you're a smart-ass who always has to be right, is WRONG.
Oh, and the gender politics mentions. It's bad, and it's shitty, but what's worse is that we even give that our attention by having a thread every time it happens. You do realize that by discussing identity politics you're giving it validity and presence in our hobby, right? That should all be covered under "Your GM may change things about this setting to suit your group."

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm really bad at picking up on that stuff so, what in the 5e PHB is identity politics for example?

>There is a thing about Veeky Forums-hobby that irritates you.
I don't like the amount of low quality content. The difference between well written and poorly material is night and day.

Not much in the books. Their paragraph on how you can play any gender, which feels blatant and superfluous.
Outside of it? Everything in their marketing that is not about a new module or book being released.

I hate edgelords so much. Jesus christ, lighten up, how is this even fun for you? Fuck you, fuck your tiefling warlock, fuck your death threats over 10 gold, fuck your betrayals to the party's goals, fuck your pickpocket checks, and most of all fuck your PVP

Ever notice how the author's of some of these RPG books use "she" as the gender neutral pronoun instead of he. Or attempt to jocky back and forth between "he" and "she" resulting in confusing mess of a narrative? Ever notice how certain career paths that shouldn't be logically open to women are dramatically hand waved as being available even though any DM worth his salt could do that without the needed instruction? Ever notice how some of the books have akward introductions talking about "sexism," "racism," or any other set of meta materials pointlessly? Ever notice how certain fantasy races are included just to poorly cater to transvestites or homosexuals?

I can go on and on, but the results remain the same. Modern or erroneous bullshit fucking up the prose of recent RPG materials. Resulting in poorer industry standards and poorer quality games.

>Ever notice how the author's of some of these RPG books use "she" as the gender neutral pronoun instead of he. Or attempt to jocky back and forth between "he" and "she" resulting in confusing mess of a narrative?
This has been standard practice since at least the 90s, I distinctly remember it from VtM.
You're right about the rest.

>I hate edgelords so much
Look, faggot, if you have a problem with my bartering strategies maybe I should just stab you and take your gold to pay for it myself. Just don't take it personnel when I stab the merchant and take your money back from him too.

Chaotic Evil the post.

Wasnt that stuff around since AD&D?

>This has been standard practice since at least the 90s, I distinctly remember it from VtM.
It hasn't been. VtM was published by White Wolf, they're infamous for poor quality products and their left leaning views. Still, they did put out some good stuff. Competent authors avoid injecting their politics into their work, and instead focus on the game being readable and fun to play. That's why it had to be (hilariously) pointed out to them that the Technocracity were actually the good guys in Mage the Awakening. Which, came as a total shock to them because they couldn't wrap around their head that people could sympathize with the "Man" more than their counter culture bullshit.

>going out of your way to analyse stuff in order to be offended
Are you a gender studies major?

Yes, but it wasn't explicit. These days libtards have discovered they can threaten the entertainment industry by complaining about their Snowflakism NOT being explicitly supported and endorsed, so game companies have started inserting it as a matter of course.
Then we get to complain about how forced it feels.

AD&D used the "we hope our use of the masculine pronoun is not construed as an attempt to exclude female players" line.

I'm criticizing them for following the gender studies shit, not encouraging it. They're lowering the quality of their writing to kowtow to that shit.

>going out of your way to analyse stuff in order to be offended
That's just Veeky Forums in general really. If I want to actually enjoy something I go to a different, more specialized forum altogether. I come here for PDFs and because the sheer amount of cynicism is good for catching flaws in ideas or plans very quickly.

What is 'old-school playstyle' and why can't it happen in 5E?

I too get upset that women exist user.

>noticed that books he used to like are getting worse and worse
>identify source, which seems rather plain and obvious
>going out of their way to be offended
His complaint is reasonable and fair.

5e is too "Heroic." It's just not deadly enough, and the power level is too high for the relatively low-power of OSR style games. And no, you can't just "use bigger numbers." The system itself always favors the Player.
Think of 5e as being a light-hearted anime fantasy, probably an Isekai. Players are highly enabled throughout.
Think of OSR as more comparable to Berserk. Hell, Guts is probably at the higher end of player power levels in an OSR game.
Or, more meme-like, compare Goblin Slayer and his Rape-Goblins to the JRPG aesthetic of everything else in the world.

Fuck moral dilemmas. All you GMs that try to fuck your Paladin up, fuck you. Why is it so hard to believe that I want to be a good guy that isn't Lawful Stupid? I just want to be good, not that edgey Batman shit, and not the dude that immediately slaughters a beggar that stole bread for the 4th time in a month because his family is starving and it's the law

Honestly, as someone who started with (I think) AD&D, the playstyles can still be pretty similar, at least at low levels. Up to about 5ish the system is still pretty deadly, especially if you enforce all the rules about spell components and supplies and so on.

The only thing I miss is wizards not having cantrips. I enjoyed wizards much more when they were the "scuttle around trying not to die before nuking one (1) encounter all by yourself with some busted spell)

There has been a slip, but I'd say its definitely still playable.

Like, all moral dilemmas in general? Shitty moral dilemmas are the absolute worst, but legitimate moral dilemmas every now and again can make for some fun times.
Just, you know, only do it once or twice a campaign.

It's almost like he can feel the status quo changing around him and is struggling to adapt to the idea of a world in which he no longer has all the automatic privileges he learned as a child to consider his birthright.

Poor guy. You almost have to feel sorry for straight men.

no, not all moral dilemmas, but when it's every time we enter a town, every time we encounter a humanoid evil, every time something bad happens, it's like "fuck man, why are you making it so hard to not be a dick?"

>Career paths that shouldn't be open to women
... Such as? Wouldn't literally all that shit depend on the setting, and even then most fantasy tends toward the 'Yeah, women can do whatever, lady knights and female mages have been around for ages' angle? If it's a psuedo-historical thing like Pendragon, then that seems like something you might want to point out because it's in direct defiance of history, albeit not the spirit of myth and legend.

>Races included just to poorly cater to trannies and gays
Again, such as? I'm not asking because they don't exist, I just don't play a wide variety of TTRPGs so wouldn't know.

Oh, definitely still playable, but the thing is, at later levels the players rely too much on what their character can do, and not enough on their own ideas and creativity
The thing most OSR fans will agree upon is that OSR games maintain that relatively low power level throughout, which fosters more creative probable solving and roleplay. It's still possible in 5e, but as you mentioned with wizards, it's easier to fall back on their cantrips or other class abilities.

Jesus, that kind of constant sucks.
If you're going to pull a "How far will your morals go?" that should be a big character moment, not a way of life, or be a moral dilemma involving some kind of choice of 2 goods, like saving someone close to you or a group of innocents or something so it's more a test of where your values lie rather than attempting to coax you into being the bad guy.

KYS

Also, you'll notice that nobody outside of a few publishers that went fucking bankrupt did it. Also, it seems like the world is very much shifting into a pro straight male world. Seeing how faggots and transvestites have this tiny problem of ceasing to exist in one generation and the general political sentiment.

he had me fall once in a campaign later on, but with a different scenario. He improved a lot, but fuck he ended up brutally buttfucking my mind for a couple days

People who think this hobby is "childish".

I have a best friend, my roommate, who is into nerd shit. We play video games, watch speedruns, and meme about YTPs. But every single time I try to get him to play tabletop games he says something along the lines of "that's not something I see myself doing as I get older".

It has nothing to do with women you retard. It's fucking up your writing and grammar to "cater" to them. Even if your catering doesn't make any sense.

I'd play an autism game with """socially anxious""" grogs if it got me away from powergaming bullshit. No, steve you can't fucking justify your hexblade-barbarian and abuse curse plus rage plus fuck knows what else

>Gays won't exist in one generation
Gays have existed for a very long time, user. Like, ancient times had gay people. They're not a new invention that will vanish in a century.

I know you guys are busy jerking eachother off over how enlightened you are, but honestly I see where he's coming from. I tried reading through the 7th sea 2nd edition handbook and found it surprisingly confusing that the writer flicked back and forth between using 'he', 'she' and 'they' in descriptions, sometimes in the same paragraph. It really does affect the quality of the writing if implemented badly.

I have an absolute distaste for anyone on YouTube who does 40k content. Game casts are sometimes alright, and I'd inhale Duncan's cock, but beyond that it feels as if the prerequisites to run a warhammer themed channel are dumb political leanings, a speech impediment, an incomplete/nonexistent grasp of comedy, or a combination of the three.

I understand where you're coming from, and get what you mean.
I still enjoy TTS even if it is utter Trash. It's not Ha-Ha Funny, it's Filename Thread Funny.

It's kinda sad that they can progress a storyline more cohesively than a large-scale company

I liked TTS when it was a slightly wacky poke at some of the sillier or nonsensical bits of 40k. It seemed to devolve into actual fanfiction at some point.

You're a dipshit
You're a dipshit
You're less so than the other two but still a dipshit

I didn't say I liked it, I just think it's funny they can progress a storyline

You graduate to the second class there then, user.

What irritates me the most is that nu-Veeky Forums is full of normies, redditors and SJWs and that this cancer slowly kills Veeky Forumss creativity.

I have headcanon that consists solely of Minotaurs taking turns calling the Spiritual Liege a faggot and giving the copies of the codex aboard the Inceptor's ships they looted to guardsmen for wound packing/lavatory use, so I don't think I deserve the upgrade plsnobully

You're entirely right in that last part, sport. Knock yourself back to Dipshit and take another 10 points off for liking meme FW crap.

As genetic abortions and mutants, sure. Doesn't mean they'll ever establish any kind of culture or children.

Outside of about half a dozen people, youtube's culture is pure cancer.

We can educate the first of the three, the other two can die in hell fire as far as I'm concerned.

>tfw I still have minis painted from the pre FW scheme Minotaurs
>tfw I've probably induced seizures
I don't know how to process this senpai

You mean Mage the Ascension? Mage the Awakening is nWoD and the Technocracy isn't in it.

Well yes, homosexuals will be a part of whatever culture they're born into, unless they're one of the few that adopt another culture from around the world. But that's like saying "Blonde people will never establish a culture" - you're correct, because a culture runs deeper than a single trait like homosexuality.
Same goes for being mutants, lactose tolerance and blue eyes are both mutations. As are pretty much any variable traits influenced by genetics you can think of.
Gays can also have children - they can adopt if they so wish. Other than that, you are correct.

I don't see how any of those points refute or are even relevant to the point that gays have existed nearly since mammals were a thing and will continue to exist for nearly as long as mammals are a thing.

Seizures or vomiting. Ronald McDonald looking motherfucker goddamn

>lactose tolerance and blue eyes
Neither of those stops the production of children, being homosexual does.
>gays can also have children
They can't.
>they can adopt if they so wish
That isn't having children, and won't make the adopted children more likely to be gay. Homosexuality is a negative equation that leads to the end of genetic lines. Adoption preserves potential offspring so that is a "loose" positive.

I'll see if I can find my first mini, that shit was a doozy

Gays can have children VIA adopting, sorry if that wasn't clear - there's no way for homosexuals to naturally reproduce, obviously. I say "have children" as shorthand for raising a child.

Okay, being a homosexual means you won't have genetic children. So?
Homosexuality remains despite those things. The inability to have children has done nothing to stop homosexuality's continued existence.

Fuck it, I'm going to say it.
Crystal Skull was bad but it was still better than Temple of Doom.

Gays CAN still reproduce, they're just not very likely to. Insemination, surrogate mothers, apparently there's some new way for lesbians to reproduce without the need of a penis but I haven't looked in to that.

>Homosexuality is a negative equation that leads to the end of genetic lines.
If everyone became homosexual, maybe. But again, this doesn't remove their ability to reproduce, just their desire for heterosexual sex.

Also, I'm not sure in what reality you think that homosexuality is a legitimate threat to humanity.

I remember from the 3.0/.5 PHB they'd use She a lot, but usually because they were describing a specific Character i.e 'Lidda the Halfling Rogue' or whatever.

I think you might have linked to the wrong post, I didn't say what you've quoted and am arguing against homosexuality going extinct in a generation, nowhere have I stated it's a threat to humanity. Gays have been around forever, will be around forever, and should be treated like you would anyone else.

Yeah I meant to link the other way around.

I find it funny that the fucking progressive sperg army is doing all of this due to "muh inclusion mufugguh" because let me tell you what, being one of those magical trannyfags they're trying to court, never before have I wanted to leave the hobby for safer harbors in less "inclusively minded" games more than now. Environments are starting to get toxic at some LGSs, because it's emboldened the militant SJWism where people start dumb arguments for asspats. it's gotten to the point where I nearly straight up decked a motherfucker for not shutting up about Yahenni being a "they" and refusing to let my effect resolve because I referred to a fictional character incorrectly (dumb fuck got issued a game loss for stalling)

but the bigger issue in the RPG sphere is most of the "muh diversity" crowd shit is so flat out basic, I don't think you should really be playing RPGs if you need that shit explained to you for fear that they might overload your feeble creative brain. Not to mention, virtue signaling and masturbation from industry figureheads like Rosewater and Mearls just makes me yearn for the tender embrace for scotch whiskey. NEWSFLASH MOTHERFUCKER, YOU'RE NOT HELPING US BY POINTING US OUT. the 99th percentile of trannies and faggots want to just be a normal part of the background radiation. we'd much rather have what we want to do with our lives and what we achieve define us. the response to coming out to a game group in a session used to be "cool, but I literally cannot find reason to give a shit, shut up and roll your dice so we can talk after the session" whereas now, it's some ultra-touchy subject where non-lunatics are being treated like blue haired psychopaths because assuming otherwise is a titanic liability.

All that being said,
What the fuck are you talking about? I mean, elves have always been leaf chewing, lyre strumming turbofaggots, but that's been true since the game started.

>like a girl
>start dating
>never explain where I go for 6 hours every thursday night
>say "cards"
>she asks to come
>"It's a guy thing"
>eventually realizes you don't need 50+ polyhedral dice for poker
>"It's D&D night"
>she leaves
>or worse, she stays
>asks to play
>"N-no"
>inevitably cave
>nervous wreck the whole session
>can't talk in character for embarassment
>explain away all the technical terms as "some bullshit"
>OR WORSE
>have great time
>she wants to come back
>now forced to play D&D with a girl
>A GIRL

This. Have a friend who makes a big deal out of Starfinder having things with "non traditional gender" or all androids being "non-binary" or some such crap.
No. Stop. You are actively damaging the cause you claim to champion. Nobody should give a shit if you have tits, if you were born with them, or if you like them, but you don't foster that mentality by otherising people and disparaging the majority of people.
The ones you're trying to court were either already here, already going to come, or never wanted any part of it to begin with.

You tread dangerous ground there, user. Not because she's a girl, but because she's your partner. Partners have a notoriety about them for a reason - just keep cool, and treat her like she was just a newbie to games someone else had bought along.

TL;DR - trannyblog w/out boipussy pics
0/10

Nigger did you forget this is a blue board

Amen to that. There's this one faggot I know who is only barely tolerated by the group who manages to make the most bland and edgy character every fucking time.

At the very least, try and put a spin on your edgelord rather than recycling the same faggot over and over again.

People that play their characters as a "cliche" instead of an actual "person". Also that motherfucker thats a "mysterious" goodie two shoes rouge that used to be "Royalty", thats never with the party but always close by and tries to cast stealth everywhere. I dont have anything against the guy but hes such an "anti edgelord" you can notice him getting uncomfortable when you try to loot corpses or do "edgy" things such as intimidating npcs for useful information.

I don't really understand this problem.

Maybe it's because I had played with my GF even before we started dating. An important distinction to make is to generally just separate relationship dynamics from game table dynamics. I just don't understand why it's so hard for some people.

>Competent authors avoid injecting their politics
Like Lovecraft, right? Or Lewis? Or Howard? Or Tolkien? Or Peake? Never could guess anything about their politics from reading their work, no sir.

Don’t pretend to know shit and then claim that authors’ work can or ever has been divorced from their work. If you don’t like the work, you can stop buying it instead of whining.

>Never could guess anything about their politics from reading their work, no sir.

Oh boy I cant wait for you to tell us how Orcs are actually niggers and dwarfs are jews because Tolkien grew up early last century

>components
Every DM I've ever played with or even spectated on has eschewed material components from spells and it makes me want to scream.

Lewis' Christianity is pretty prevalent through-out his work, Aslan literally dies for your sins.
Not quite politics, but it's a world view.

most material componentts serve more as flavor than as any balancing mechanic

So by your own admission there are no politics in it. Huh.

The specific materials, sure, but requiring absolutely NOTHING to cast a massive encounter-nuking 7th level spell but some magic words and a hand wave? It's dumb.

I don't know if there are or not, I haven't read Lewis in over a decade, just saying that if his religious worldview can be apparent other authors political worldview might be apparent in their works too.

Some components might as well be absolutely nothing, like a drop of blood or a cup of water or a pinch of dirt

A pinch of dirt sounds rather hard to come by when you're in the ice desert.

Don't get me started on component pouches and the like though.

Scrape off some old skin.
Tada, dirt.

More like "Tada, frostbite. And also some frozen sweat."

Right now Material components and Foci exist as a way to divest casters of all but their weakest casting ability.

Meanwhile, specifying the components instead of just making everything "you need a focus" allows them to, in emergency situations, MacGyver their way into getting use of single specific spells back.
For instance, our party was once relinquished of their weapons and my casting equipment for safety purposes during a high society social gathering and needed to espionage, so once inside and out of sight I ripped loose a piece of my undercloths in order to have the wool for Minor Illusion.

even better. old sweat and necrosis make for excellent dirt

Old-school play is just one where you ignore most of the rules (everything is optional) and the DM adjudicates everything.

Nearly any system can do it.

>It's bad, and it's shitty, but what's worse is that we even give that our attention by having a thread every time it happens. You do realize that by discussing identity politics you're giving it validity and presence in our hobby, right?
Just look at the new Star Wars films. All the neckbeards neckbearded out and now JJ can handwave any criticism by accusing people who don't like it of being sexist. Or Black Panther, critics wouldn't have fawned over it because they were afraid of looking like racists who hate it because it has black people, if the internet wasn't full of racists hating on it because it has black people. The alt right has done more to forward representation in media than all the Tumblr "think pieces" in the world ever could, because no one wants to be associated with them.

Immersive, no?

Pathfinder player?

>Ever notice how certain career paths that shouldn't be logically open to women are dramatically hand waved as being available even though any DM worth his salt could do that without the needed instruction?
You saying women aren't as capable as men?

I have two things. The first few are things about the hobby in general I dislike, and the last one is a specific thing that happened in my group that gets me really salty
1: I fucking hate the OSR movement. Old school D&D was bad, and anyone who wants to go back to those days is an idiot. The rules were absurdly counterintuitive, and it was incredibly hard to figure out what to do at points. Here's a question for you: if your players set off a Indiana Jones style rolling bolder trap, should they save versus spells or wands to dodge? That's a trick question, they actually need to save versus breath weapon. Why? No fucking clue.
2: How people throw tantrums whenever a minority exists and start talking about SJW invasions or some fucking shit. Oh no, the art on the page for the wizard class in 5e is of a black dude! Why do people even care so much?
3. I hate the people who refuse to abandon Pathfinder. Also, I hate Pathfinder in general. I don't think I need to explain why.
The thing about my group I get salty about will have to be put in a different post, because it'd put this over the character limit.

>Right now Material components and Foci exist as a way to divest casters of all but their weakest casting ability.
You know shit like meteor swarm, dominate person, all power words, finger of death, teleport, cloudkill, geas, etc all have no material components.

There is no game balance logic behind what does or doesn't require material components. It's just flavor.

I wish that starfinder was more than a politically correct 40k

>Career paths that shouldn't be open to women..
>cuts off there and chooses to interpret it their way
fuck off
He meant they virtue signal that "YES WOMAN CAN DO THIS MANLY JOB" when the gm would have let them play it either way