Are there good mapping programs that help you draw like it was a hand drawn map?

are there good mapping programs that help you draw like it was a hand drawn map?

i'm artistically inept, and it's pretty time consuming, too.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-qMHNFOtjYk
cartographersguild.com/
watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

bonus points if it does cities, or if there is a program that does just cities like this.

Bumping for interest

>draw like it was a hand drawn map
youtube.com/watch?v=-qMHNFOtjYk

>mercato de portobello
>portobello

Photoshop.
Imho it IS the easier one.
cartographersguild.com/
have tons of resources and tutorials.

Picrelated i my first (and last) attempt. Made in PS from the aforementioned tutorials

There is no such program, learn how to use gimp, photoshop or settle for Inkarnate trash.

Pic related is my attempt in gimp.

>There is no such program

>Inkarnate
wait, that sorta looks maybe like what i was looking for.

whats supposed to be wrong with it?

Since we are talking, anyone know a program to make fast B&W battlemaps?

It looks balls ugly 90% of the time
There are decent maps if you put in a lot of time, but man they do not have a satisfying aesthetic

Every single map made in Inkarnate looks the same

watabou.itch.io/medieval-fantasy-city-generator it doesn't look hand drawn at all but have this.

AUTOREALM

People with no artistic talent are able to make maps that look decent and suit 90% of all RPG groups' purposes.

Also, the old brush set for Inkarnate was much better at big scales, whereas the current brush set is really focused and better for small-scale maps.

Inkarnate's current mapstyle

Inkarnate's old map style.

It's not a secret anymore and now everyone uses it.

Thats the worst part about it honestly. You make a map with it and people are just like 'wow another inkarnate map'.

The pains of gming.

How are they ever going to make money off Inkarnate when everyone is making maps for free?

Check out actual medieval maps and how incredibly shit they were compared to modern fantasy maps.

Hell, most of them are so inaccurate you can just use them as fantasy maps without anyone noticing.

I need to start another map dump thread.

Are there any programs, or guides, for making more sci-fi or modern appropriate maps?

i honestly want something that's pretty bland and shitty, like what vague world map might be actually available at the start of a campaign where players can see "oh, there are mountains to the north, and some woods over there"

not a navigational map but like better maps and regional mapping would be developed as they actually move about themselves.

I decided to finally try this for the first time and maybe for the last time for this reason. Sticking a downloaded map onto roll20 might be better, but I can't find a good way to do country borders and roads without using Photoshop. Thoughts?

Why are you so against learning photoshop? I learnt it and have never looked back.
Hell, you don't even have to learn all that much, just pick up a brush set from Deviantart or something, and use that. It'll still be more unique than the maps Inkarnate produces.

What fonts?

There's also the Hexographer, I loved using it, but for some reason it doesn't work after I reinstalled my Windows.

Pic related, a small map I made in Hexographer.

I use Inkarnate, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Krita on a regular basis for making fantasy maps and artwork. If you just want a decent-looking map without a ton of work, Inkarnate is the best option.

You can even use Inkarnate just for the geographic textures, save the image, and then go into Photoshop to do the borders and things.

Man, is there a way to use old brushes for Inkarnate?

i found a fiverr artist i like. the maps aren't free, but i can get exactly what i want and it looks hand drawn because it is.

Inkarnate just look like hot garbage. It's obviously some part because that's the programme that lazy people use so they put in minimum effort, but the thing is as soon as you start to put in effort there is no reason to use Inkarnate because it's aesthetic is so ugly that you can do way better in GIMP/Photoshop.

Which tutorial did you use, exactly? I'd love to make a map in that style.

lots of them.
Different aspect need different tutorial. I will see if I have them saved.
Will check later.

How long did either of these take you? I'd like to produce quality but I'm old enough that I'd need to find a community college to teach me Photoshop, dreadful as that is.

No, unfortunately there isn't, unless you reach out to the devs on their Twitter account. It is active, so they do pay attention to things, and there's an Inkarnate SubReddit that might have worked out how to reimport the old brush assets.

>Community college
Nigger what. You can just follow some online tutorials and make decent maps that way.

If you go to /wbg/ and ask for tutorials someone will post them.

telegdi antique
I'm the first one. IIRC aroudn one weekend or 3 days.

Jon is a funny guy