/bgg/ Board Games General: We are nice people on Veeky Forums

Previous Thread
Map
>zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#
Pastebin
>pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

We are nice people, don't be mean to Papa Dean.
Why aren't (You) doing board game reviews on YouTube yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/channel/UCMtU2M2uHNj1cThBRJt9mog
youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9nr6ia3tI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Are random who board game reviews actually watched? I was thinking about doing them in text, but videos would be easier.

Also, what's the opinions on charterstone?

Papa Dean is super chill. I hope no one is planing to mess with him.

Would I do videos, no?
I have a super thick accent and I live in the middle of nowhere so I would be always behind what is new/popular. Also the amount of work is probably crazy.

Has anyone here tried Anachrony? It looks super fun but it would cost me 90$ to buy it from my local game store. That price seems super high.

youtube.com/channel/UCMtU2M2uHNj1cThBRJt9mog

paying it forward

Any racing board game out there that's good?

>in the middle of making a new thread since it died while I was sleeping in
>couldn't find village OP for a back from the dead edition
>refresh to double check before posting
I like you friend

Thunder Alley, the long OOP Ave Caesar, Roadzters and PitchCar for dex options, Downforce/Winners circle if you want to gamble on the race

Not that user. I have Downforce and like it. How is Winners Circle different?

Any good gambling games that aren't themed around a race?

Is there an "upgrade to poker" in terms of a game with both luck and strategy that's good for gambling?

Love letter was ok when tried it once. Probably better ones tho

>Why aren't (You) doing board game reviews on YouTube yet?
I've written a few reviews instead

On Winners Circle; it's been ages since I've played it and I only got a quick test of Downforce, I'll let the autist explain it
>youtube.com/watch?v=Ka9nr6ia3tI

Gambling not based around races? Spartacus? Colossal Arena from the old FFG silver line.

Usually I like resource games like catan, 7 wonders and so on and had a friend suggest me Scythe. Never seen much of the game in action but set pieces look beautiful. Is it good? How are the expansions?

>I'll let the autist explain it
Is he actually autistic or just really, really awkward?

Either way, honestly I like the guy. He seems well-meaning and friendly.

Games with randomness and strong theme can be fun.

>hes thrown such a huge bitch fit even the dice tower pussies told him to stop doing videos for a while
>well-meaning and friendly
Stop shilling for your channel here, Tom.

>Why aren't (You) doing board game reviews on Youtube yet?

I actually did, once. A college buddy wanted to put together a board/video game review channel/Let's Play thing. We made couple videos, though I believe only one of them was of a board game.

We ended up moving to different cities, so the project is on indefinite hiatus. I'd say it's 'dead', but I also work at the guy's comic book shop seasonally, so we'll be together for a couple months every year. We've just not yet had the space and time to make a new video when we do so.

If he literally has autism then that kind of thing is not that surprising, and he said he'd sit out games that he thinks will bring out the worst in him in the future.

>being so cynical you think no one ever genuinely apologizes

They don't. People only actually care about those to whom they're close.

>But video would be easier.

That's an interesting statement. In my experience, video has a lot of "backlog" work compared to text.

Typically, you'll want to write a script/outline to ensure you cover all the points, you'll have to re-shoot mistakes, color-balance, audio balance, and then you'll have to edit your recordings.

I guess you'd be right if you're thinking in terms of acquiring a platform: to upload Youtube videos, you just need a youtube account, versus finding a site to write game reviews for/creating your own.

Hmm.

That doesn't necessarily rule out the idea of someone genuinely apologizing.

An apology is an admission that you were wrong, and that is concerned with your opinion of YOURSELF, not the other person.

If, in the moment, he got too invested, and lost his shit at his friends, he could easily feel that such a lapse was beneath him, or a part of himself he's not proud of, or a momentary mistake because of extraneous circumstances. In any of those cases, he would feel like apologizing to his friends, and to everyone who saw it, to establish that he does not consider those actions as 'right' for him to have done.

>guy spergs out and only apologizes after internet outrage and a long conversation with his boss (Tom)
>his boss and friends don't even want to play with him for a while afterwords
>im cycnical for thinking hes not well-meaning and friendly
kys dipshit

It's also absurd to claim that nobody feels compassion for the unhappiness of others, so it's entirely possible that he would feel regret for having made the stream less enjoyable to watch as well as for upsetting his friends.

Even if he has autism, it just means he has trouble TELLING when he's upsetting others, not that he doesn't care when he does realize.

>his boss and friends don't even want to play with him for a while afterwords
Reread the apology. He only stayed out of the group streams and continued participating in two-player streams.

Because the conditions of my parole prevent me...

All joking aside, does anyone have any recommendations on a good microphone, webcam model, and/or video recording and editing software?

>they keep him around a little because they want fans of his to continue absorbing their content
>this somehow proves hes a great guy
are you 12 or something? or are you actually a member of DT that wont quit advertising here?

Let me count the reasons
>No camera better than a fucking phone
>0xp doing post editing which is needed to make most review videos possible
>Don't own a lot of lights and shit to make a good filming space anyway
>Ugly as sin
>Voice sounds like a british mickey mouse with tuberculosis
>Tend to not play a lot of games sight unseen, so most of what I have experience with I honestly find OK, when people love to watch rampant negativity.
>Also means, for most of what I play, there's already a good body of reviews.

I bought my first small game (Hanamikoji) just to test the waters and after 3 rounds I already love the shit out of it. I wanted to get into Lovecraft games but all of them seems to kill my wallet. What are some good 1-x player games that don't need expansion? I was also considering checking android Neuroshima and then getting board version because it's quite cheap. Any tips for lists because every youtube review and list have different titles.

>1-x
>android neuroshima
>lovecraft
There's too much here it almost feels like it's not bait

Arkham File games will all kill your wallet, but they're in general pretty good as long as you don't mind the high randomness that comes with Burgerspiel.

My boardgame group is raving about this game. I tried to explain I'm not a fan of Eric Lang but they insist I play it tonight. Can someone give me a quick rundown of how shit it is before then?

Bloodrage 2.0

You really gonna go in there being a negative nancy

"What if there was a game like diplomacy but with zero intrigue that provides the illusion of choice but shoehorns players into certain uninteresting strategies?" is undoubtedly what Eric "M.-oney over everythang" Lang (patent pending) asked himself while designing this game.

I unironically hope you find a way to have fun though, otherwise sounds like you'll be stuck playing a shit game until CMON does another KS, at which point at least they'll let you play another shit game.

There's always the thematically appropriate way to bow out if you're really that set on avoiding it...

What are some more games like Carcassonne where the game play is all about building the board/map? I also like Vast and Honshu.

Motherfucking Hive

Cacao

Castles of Mad King Ludwig

It should be spelt B-O-R-E-D

Blank slate state of mind, my man.
Be fair, be sharp, be critical.
I expect a full, non-biased game analysis by tomorrow.

>Carcassonne

is it weird that I've never played this

In triplicate.

Ginkgopolis

>triplicate
I'm not giving my copy to accounting, make that quadruplicate.

Anybody have a good setup guide for 3/4p Twilight Imperium 4 (TI4)?
I remember Steev giving a template for TI3 - anything similar for TI4?
It gets stale when planets are put around homebases leading to the usual 4 hex batcave for each player.

Oops didn't mean to reply to

Not weird. But I'd recommend giving it a try, I think it's a great game

It's really damn hard to do creative setups with TI4 right now, especially for 5 or 6. We just don't have enough map tiles.

Is Small World any good to play with wife and/or normie friends? Or should I just buy Pathfinder ACG?

>Also, what's the opinions on charterstone?
not bad
Just finished a full playthrough with 4 players last weekend. It's well designed and the gameplay is solid, but maybe like 30% of the rules are vaguely worded. Thankfully the game has been out enough that basic googling will give you the answers but it feels pretty shitty when you learn that someone has been accidentally cheating for 3 games.
Also plan what you build in your charter very carefully, you get some extra spaces but as far as I know there's not way to build over occupied spaces which really sucks. That and that glory stars are worth 90% of the victory points.

What do you think of forcing players to put down red tiles first? With the exception of not allowing people to have 2 red tiles adjacent to their home base.

Hmm, sounds good. Where would you rank it on the starter - midrange - experienced board gamer ladder?

midrange, it's a worker placement game with escalating rule complexity. Setup takes a little bit but by game 5 you'll get in a flow and things will run really smoothly. If you have one guy who's experienced with boardgames that will be enough to help any newbies get up to speed. You also only get one action a turn so it's pretty light on analysis paralysis.

Might help a little, yeah.

Is there a way to filter BGG results to only include Eurogames? I'm looking for a good middleweight Euro to try out and I want to see what's out there first.

Is Raiders of the North Sea an okay place to get myself and the people I play with into Euros that are more complicated than Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne?

ya

I wish I could tell you, still haven't tested it. I've got friends who compared it to Istanbul in terms of being that cruiserweight between family and middle/heavy weight games though

Just played it today for the first time. Point Salad with illusion of choice. Takes 3 hours but not enough decisions.

The usual crowd will eat it up

Yes, very solid game, very easy to learn game. Place guy, do thing printed literally right there, pick up guy.

Isle of Skye.
Taluva.
Medina.

Advanced search, filter by subdoman, minus on everything but "family games" and "strategy games" will get you pretty much there. Sort by geek rating.

GMT is doing a new version of 1862 like they did 1846. Play some real games you fags.

Pretty fat boxes, but probably not quite as much volume as gloomhaven. Individually, anyways.

It's only good to play in those conditions.

Looks like this game has some great production values, but how's the actual game? You try it yet?

No play yet. Sometime next week hopefully.
Trying to decide if I should just go into a play without bias or pour over the rules, crunch some numbers, and go in with a shitload of bias. I certainly have strong concerns that it'll just be a moronic dicechucker.

Not too hard on the eyes though, here's a rough approximation of starting setup while I have it out fucking around.

Played it a few days ago and absolutely hated it. The faction powers are all WAY too powerful, they override the choices you make and lock you into one play style. Battles rarely ever feel tense because there's one faction that's going to benefit from winning that the most, and it won't matter because the orange faction is overpowered as fuck and wins by literally killing himself in every fight. They earn more from dying than the person fighting him will ever earn from winning and there's no way to stop them aside from having a boat load of money, something you won't have if you win fights because you give your money to the players who lose the fight.

I mean, it looks fucking awesome

Yeah I know what you mean, I have to be in the right mood to play a dice chucker, where what I want to do will not always happen, and everything I'm doing is out in front of me.

I think my board game bar got a copy and I'd like to see for myself.

I finally got a game of 1860 played last weekend after owning my copy for a few months and damn is it tight, you don't need to tell me to play real games

good to see that GMT is printing more 18XX though I'd personally prefer to see 1860 reprinted for the masses and a non-fucked 1830 reprint

>Any racing board game out there that's good?
Thurn und Taxis

>Is Small World any good to play with wife and/or normie friends?
Yes, although it tends to drag on for a bit too long.
>Or should I just buy Pathfinder ACG?
The two are literally nothing at all alike. Small World is an abstract strategy game that sits somewhere between checkers and chess in complexity and depth.

Is the dark souls card game any good?

Because I'm a pleb with shit opinions, entry-level taste, and wildly inconsistent access to people try new games with

Does Archipelago count? Also why does that game look more orderly and nice than any Carcassonne game I've ever played

>No camera better than a fucking phone
>0xp doing post editing which is needed to make most review videos possible
Your other reasons are more credible but cell phones make fine cameras these days and editing a single video/audio track is piss easy

Don't believe you can't do something 12 year olds figured out a decade ago in Windows movie maker

Pure gambling can fun, so randomness is far from being the enemy of fun. It just tends to get boring if there's not also more going on.

>All joking aside, does anyone have any recommendations on a good microphone, webcam model, and/or video recording and editing software?

I assume there's 1,000 resources out there if your search for setups for YouTube or Twitch.

Is Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu good as first board game if I have huge boner for Mythos and don't want to break my piggy bank?

>if your search for setups for YouTube or Twitch.

Thanks, I didn't think of searching for rigs that way.

Pandemic is a solid game (some anons here will tell you otherwise of course, it'll depend in the tastes you develop as you try board games, hard to tell beforehand.) and I've heard the "cthulhu coat" works pretty well.
I'd say go for it.

Pandemic on it's own is one of my fave games but reign is ok

You might want arkham horror or the bloodborne card game with the expansion which is fairly cheap together

How many games does it take to finish?

>tfw Dominant Species is shipping in May

may bois

>webcam model

well first tip is don't use a fucking webcam

>Don't want to break piggy bank
>arkham horror
???

I can get P:ROC for ~$30 here. Arkham Horror LCG base game costs the same and with all available expansions you can imagine whole cost. As for BB I will stick to videogame. My problem isfor now it's only me and small chance to drag some friend or family member to play on occasion.

>Pandemic on it's own is one of my fave games

I literally don't understand this. Pandemic is about as deep as solitaire. I mean the theme is meh and strip that away and you've got all the mechanics of Forbidden Island. I don't care that much about theme (it can help but doesn't make a game) and the mechanics are so boring. The only nearly interesting thing that ever happened in Pandemic is when two epidemic cards were back to back despite the "quarter deck" shuffling. You spend the game trying to get in front of the draw deck the tiniest bit and ... idk it's just boring as hell to me.

So seriously, what is the draw? I'm serious, like when someone really likes something I can't be vested in I usually can see the reason, with pandemic I just cannot see why people like it.

I say arkahm horror might be a good choice. It's very engaging

Pandemic on it's own can be a tad repetitive but I have expansions "in the lab" and "on the brink" with both game elements it's a nice nail biter. Even have guys at my LGS think it's awesome.

>Don't believe you can't do something 12 year olds figured out a decade ago in Windows movie maker
To be fair, most such amateurs end up with grainy, slightly shaky video, say "um" every third word in their final take, don't mix their audio levels well, and generally turn out a product that while technically all there is pretty much unwatchable. If you're going to video talking about board games, your AV had better be fucking flawless because there are a million other producers and some of them WON'T make the audience suffer through a subpar viewing experience.

Production values still matter in the age of youtube. Why do you think people still watch Wheaton's show about playing mediocre games wrong? Half the reason is probably that it's technically well put together (the other half is that Wheaton and his guests are mostly vibrant people who know in abstract how to be entertaining in front of a camera. I love Game Night, but half the players they have possess the force, verve, and on-screen charisma of a decaying cuttlefish, forcing Dave to carry a lot of the show)

LCG or board game?

>t. Eurofag who doesn't like gambling

Both but LCG is a tax better

For now I will get P:RoC, Tides of Madness and Hanamikoji and see where to go from here. It will cost me around $40 for these three and I will see how my friends like Lovecraft. Maybe then I will sink that $300 on AH. Last time I played 'modern' board / card game was over 10 years ago.

people on here suggest it has been made to milk more money after the success of the board game version

Anyone played Aeon's End? How is it?

I enjoy games, but when I lose I tend to get kind of salty. I don't show it or bring anybody else down, but it makes me feel shitty. I know it's unhealthy to feel like everything I do has to be impressive, especially around friends, but when I don't do well I feel like people are going to look down on me.

Anybody else experience this? Advice on how to lighten up and not worry so much?

competence and dominance are two different things, and winning games is about competence. People will look down on you only if you lose at every game, winning sometimes means you have competence and people will respect your abilities.

Also chill

what's that site where you can see Veeky Forums anons ideas for board game design? i want to rip something off for my kickstarter

Is Oasis shit for 3 players?