Anyone use alternate fauna for their fantasy campaigns...

Anyone use alternate fauna for their fantasy campaigns? Either domesticated versions of unusual animals or purely fictional animals. For example, I have a culture in my setting who keep a species of pack hunting giant river otter as pet/work animals to help them hunt gators and fight river mermaids

Yes, I tend to flavor outside areas with them and I also flavor towns with weird or gonzo races, like animal people or even stranger half metal golemn people and such.

If I can't be good, at least try to be original.

I'm gonna include my boy the tuatara in my next game. But it'll also get the saltwater crocodile's size and ferocity.

I absolutely adore shit like this. Even when they're not domesticated, tying in fantasy creatures and weird fauna into a setting's culture and ecology is great.

My particular favorite was a continent in the campaign setting for the game I ran in college, where the nations were all the result of an ancient empire fracturing in what was basically not!South America. Due to the empire's heraldry involving lots of birds, each country took a bird as their national symbol and crest during the fracturing. The oceanside trading nations took the heron, the inland former capitol took the kingfisher, the largest nation of common folk and farmers that would eventually reconquer the previous two nations took the harpy eagle, and the northernmost colony that made up not!mexico and furthest reach of the empire during its reign took the Dire Corby.

This was for two reasons. The first is that Dire Corbies are a populous animal there, and live up high in the mountains where they brutally murder travelers. This would come in handy when the lower nations came up for conquest, since quite a few raids through the mountains would run across nests and get murdered.

The second reason is that that entire country is made of bitter, spiteful people, doubly so after nearly thirty years of war, so they picked the bitterest, spitefulest, most dangerous bird they could get their hands on.

Oh yeah, of course.

A monster is just some animal or tribe that attacks your people, much like how barbarian was just anyone not from the inner roman empire.

Slimes, undead, tailless dog like creatures with fish scales and incredibly smooth, elongated human hands who howl in attempt to say "I replace you" as their neck goes for your head roll for initiative.

>Anyone use alternate fauna for their fantasy campaigns?

...Is there anyone who doesn't?

You'd be surprised how many people stick to the idea that Earth animals are normal and anything else is a monster to only be encountered or thought of in a combat/dungeon context regardless of how common, useful, or docile they are

Oh yes. Admittedly I was first inspired by the Forgotten Realms with its depictions of farmers who have domesticated the catoblepas, and bred a version which doesn't kill people with a stare, as well as its mentions of different animalistic monsters and their roles in the ecology.

As a result I tend to always think about what animals/monsters are in a region and how they impact near by settlements when world building or even adventure building.

And every so often I add random pokemon to my world.

>Spoiler #2
I mean there's so many of them and it's so easy, it'd be a crime not to

Most dont actually, you usually have normal animals chilling with humans or in their ecosystems and then suddenly the fantastical creatures come along sticking like a sore thumb

otters are soooooo cute!!!

I had a setting with otter people who used giant frogs the way humans use pigs; meat source and organic garbage disposal.

In one place in my game people herd wolly pseudodragons. Their wool is highly regarded for its excellent isolation properties.

It's something I've always wanted to try but have never really had the inspiration to do.

I tend to have giant spiders. Not as monsters to be fought, just chilling around the place.

Andrewsarchus all day erryday.

My players have all grown to hate them. If yours don't, you're doing it wrong.

Why do they hate 'em so much?

Because I don't portray them as weak-jawed scavengers. My andrewsarchi crunch the kind of armor that's available to low-level PCs.

I do the same, but I use pokemons as spirits in a BRP based setting.
I love that, the world I use drinks from too many fountains, but a big one is paleo-fauna and faux-evolution and speculative aliens and that stuff, or video-game monsters in a more toned down (specially in power), animalistic like behaviors. Lots of Dinos too. Lots of monsters are simply animals or humanoids than the Fey/godlings have altered to fuck with humans or each others.

How is that expressed mechanically?

Using pokemons as monsters is easy as fuck, specially if you use "realistical" version to describe them and change them a little, some times the players will not even know you used one.

Hell, I just use pokemon as a quick reference for the crazy actual animals they're based on. Half the time you can just take that animal, scale it up, maybe change an element it interacts with, and BAM, horrific boss fight.

Nature's got some shit.

>domesticated versions of unusual animals
This
giant spiders, giant badgers, etc.

I always enjoy including dunkleosteus and the like

I love pre-historics fishes.
Is there a mini game for rpg about fishing btw?

mostly little flavor things that have no real effect on the game, cormorants used by fishers, people owning monitor lizards in lieu of chickens, kiwi's are plentiful around most forest edges Large toads that that imitate sounds of lost sheep and other cattle to lure humans into their swamps and command a swarm of other vermin.
Dire herons associated with witches and hags
Scheltopusiks that can talk and swarms of large bats that Troll the passages through great forests.

So what fauna related plot hooks could I make for my players that isn't
"Slay this wild creature as an ingredient for the potion"?

>local noble wants a live specimen of his family's heraldric beast as a status symbol. Unfortunately it's something feisty like a Tyger or elusive like an Enfield

>A naturalist wants your help guiding him through the forests to observe a rare species, and protecting him from it's predatory wiles long enough for him to get some observations and samples

>Something has driven many local creatures into civilized territory, where they've become a danger and a nuisance. Diverting or thinning the herds is just the first step, since whatever menace is doing this seems to be heading towards town

I tend to draw a lot of inspiration from Pleistocene megafauna. People forget that not too many millenia ago North America had a grip of lions.

My GM just took us to an owlbear farm

I even use little races of monsters than have they own domesticated animals.