>lovecraft
>meaningless place names like 'valator' because they sound Tolkien-esque
>dark lords
>characters wears sword sheath on their back
>town guards
>standing military
>every soldier has nice armor
>soldiers use swords first with not polearms in sight
>open battles are common instead of actively trying to avoid each other to lay siege
>magic college
>magic is as simple as 'cast fireball'
>plate armor and shield at the same time
>golems
>tieflings
>drow
>every non-human race is a monoculture
>empire is evil while the kingdom is good
>beastfolk
>dwarves live in mountains to mine even though hills were a preferred area for mining
>Paladins
>kingdoms operate like nation-states
>Village isn't surrounded by farmland
>chainmail is treated as light armor vs heavy plate armor
>Everyone wears earth tone garbs
>barbarians all wear furs or "loincloths" and hate magic for no reason

>tieflings

I call them nephilim.

>look ma, I posted it again!

I don't even think this is even a list of things OP hates, I think it's quite literally just a list of things mixed in with anachronisms and pet peeves.

For the 9001th time.

Sounds like you just want A Song of Ice and Fire but with guns, user.

>everyone wears earth tone

bump

But why?

good thread

>familiar
>elemental creature/race
>oversized pauldrons and spikey armor
> 15th-century technology yet no guns
>world trees
>lovecraft
>meaningless place names like 'valator' because they sound Tolkien-esque
>dark lords
>characters wears sword sheath on their back
>town guards
>standing military
>soldiers use swords first with not polearms in sight
>open battles are common instead of actively trying to avoid each other to lay siege
>magic college
>magic is as simple as 'cast fireball'
>golems
>tieflings
>drow
>every non-human race is a monoculture
>beastfolk
>dwarves live in mountains to mine even though hills were a preferred area for mining
>Paladins
>kingdoms operate like nation-states
>Village isn't surrounded by farmland
>chainmail is treated as light armor vs heavy plate armor
>Everyone wears earth tone garbs
>barbarians all wear furs or "loincloths" and hate magic for no reason

>Fuck you these are great
Familiar
Elemental Creature/Race
Dark Lords
Magic is as simple as "cast fireball" (it should be for the highly skilled
Beastfolk
Paladins

Everything else you're right about user.

now this one I fucking hate

Are we making a list of common troll threads on /tg?

Discounting the things that are just down to personal preference or are just window dressing or are strawman examples that everyone who likes generic fantasy settings tends to avoid anyway, here's the shit you're flatly wrong for being peeved over.

>standing military
You mean that thing that's been a thing for like 4000 years? Just because Europeans weren't into it doesn't mean standing armies weren't a thing in feudal societies.

Which makes perfect sense in a standing army, which tend to have pretty homogeneous standards for equipment.

>town guards
Why would this bother you? I can get having a problem with "Stop right there criminal scum!" guards in plate armor, but some kind of town guard, local militia or other law enforcement has been a thing since towns were a thing.
If you should have an issue with anything it should be the concept of putting regular people in a prison for crimes in a medieval society.

...Which was done, historically. Poleaxes were in vogue but knights in plate armor definitely still used shields.

Full pitched battles between armies were uncommon and armies at a disadvantage would avoid them, but they were still one of the main methods of war when it was fought, which is why armies were equipped specifically for them.

And really, how many pitched battles *or* sieges have you encountered in RPGs? Can you really say one is more common than the other?

...Because it's easier to get to, which is not as much of a concern for fantasy dwarves.

>magic college
What government wouldn't want a standing school for teaching magic? Should it just be the domain of creepy old ladies in little shacks?

I mean, "Empire" by its nature implies conquest, so it makes sense.

>>meaningless place names like 'valator' because they sound Tolkien-esque
Honestly, it's not so much the style of name as people don't use a consistent naming convention.

I don't really care what the names are unless they're unintentionally hilarious - but I do care if they don't have a relatively consistent convention.

>peasants can afford dyed fabrics and keeping them clean

>What government wouldn't want a standing school for teaching magic? Should it just be the domain of creepy old ladies in little shacks?
this. I hate settings that have magic but don't act as though they developed with magic - excepting settings where the magic suddenly and recently appeared, of course.

Magic should be understood and studied as a physical science. Remember, science is just a means of inquiry. There is no good reason this means of inquiry would not be used to study magic in any setting where magic is a verifiable force in the world. Indeed, a lot of things we consider fantasy today, such as alchemy, are only considered unscientific because science has since definitively ruled it out. In a setting where science wouldn't definitively rule it out, they'd be sciences too.

What have you done to Rich Evans

And can you name a single thing wrong with any of that?

get this pasta out of here

>tfw a Japanese video game manages to dodge 90% of these tropes
Tabletop, are you even trying?

>>dwarves live in mountains to mine even though hills were a preferred area for mining
I kind of want a setting with a culture of dwarves where they seemingly all live simple agricultural existences on the surface, farming and keeping animals, and all keeping their houses on top of small, innocuous hills rather than in the mountains. Most of their houses are just that, but some are cleverly disguised entrances to a vast, sprawling underground network of tunnels where the REAL population lives. There are dwarven merchant caravans, but nobody ever figures out where they pick up the vast mineral wealth they trade, nor where all the profits go, because they're EXTREMELY careful to guard the caravans against prying eyes.

Trying not to be pedobaiting trashfires neck-deep in regressive honor-culture and groupthink?

>urine and grass are too expensive for peasants

>Magic is science

Disgusting.