youtu.be/D1SdVC2mrz8?t=104
youtu.be/qkcw-Il7ydM
youtube.com/watch?v=lO2Zp4nwsFA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>two equally-matched, skilled warriors duel
>it starts off as a display of great skill and flawless technique
>it devolves into a brutal, sweaty, bloody slog on the ground

that's a plot device not a trope OP

The GM makes the giant monster a battlefield all on its own.

>Conflict or setting spans multiple generations
>Party members are friends beyond their mutually shared goals
>One character sacrifices themselves for the group
>Villainous character redeems themselves over time to the point where you're not sure where the change really began

>having friends

So much education and taste so early in the thread.

>Combat across multiple fast moving vehicles. Along with daring jumps from vehicle to vehicle.
>Actually being able to use the stuff the systems presents to you.
>A heroic and bloody victory against a powerful foe, only for the winner to die on the wound he suffered from the fight.
>Multiple stories connected along a timeline, with multiple generations in between but the all the same bloodlines are involved.

For me, its essentially the final fight of JJBA part 7 steel ball run.

Your friend dying in the fight against the villain, and then the villain trying to strike a bargain (in hopes of killing you) and then you still end up killing his ass.
Was one of the most bitter sweet endings I saw in awhile and still the most satisfiying.

>Approaching the BBEG
>One of his elite lieutenants appears
>NPC ally moves in front of you
>"Go on ahead, I'll handle this guy."

>the adventurer, finally finished with his quest and fulfilled in his wanderlust, settles down and raises a family
But sometimes you can get close.

>a rogue group of soldiers continues to fight using guerrilla tactics after the war has been over for some time

>Big evil looking guy
>could be undead
>Is actually a good guy whos trying to help

>the barbarian throws himself at the monster's face, reign of fire style

>the sorcerer was born in a tiny backwater and developed his powers at puberty, becoming an amoral fuckface who's never been challenged

>disgraced warrior seeks atonement by sacrificing himself. constantly seeking a worthy cause but nothing can kill him, pays his debts a hundred times over but won't accept it

>the villain challenges the barbarian to single combat, tricks him into certain death, mocks him for thinking things would be like the stories
>barbarian kills him with brute force, then dies, saving the world
>it's exactly like the stories

>friend tries to do it with the BBEG
>BBEG catches up

>Party ask what happens to their friend
>the BBEG starts mocking the friend
>Before he can get another word out one of the party members cold clock him and just start raging on him

>the villain who did undeniably evil things basically screaming "I WAS A GOOD BOY! I DIDN'T DO NOTHIN!" as he dies

Pic unrelated I hope.

Nope
youtu.be/D1SdVC2mrz8?t=104

Holy shit I love everything in this thread.

I love symmetrical violence. A party or character with some rival who has a near-identical skillset to them - their mirror. Who could have been friends in a different life, or have been one another had they taken a slightly different path.

>Character lets themselves get stabbed.
>"Now I've got you right where I want you!"

>conman/thief with a heart of gold pretending or forced to be a hero or good guy is stuck in the role
>he reaches the point where he can finally bail out and he can't because he's actually become what he was pretending to be.

I love it in fiction, I had it happen in a game with someone and it was great. It takes both a good gm and a creative and adaptive player.

>extremely haughty and noble knighty guy trained for formal combat whole life meets guy who has lived his entire life as a desperate struggle, making it through all the worst shit and coming out battered and broken but alive
>Knight guy loses every fight cause he can't handle it
>Even after demanding all the "dirty tricks" stop he still can't take him in one on one combat

Likewise

>All the glorified and legendary magical relics are pristine and blessed pieces
>The actual best and most powerful artifacts are items marred by decades of heavy use in whatever they are famous for because they're so good at it that whoever has them just continues on being succesful at whatever theyre made for

>there are people to this day who will defend Garrosh
The Warcraft equivalent of MAGA shitters. At least Gul'dan had a tragic backstory that explained why he became evil. Garrosh was always a cunt from the start and him dying while being a little a bitch about it is suiting.

>Suicidal charges into vastly superior enemy numbers to buy time or as a cut-the-head-off-the-body-dies assault or whatever, it doesn't matter. Valor pleases Crom
>Drums and horns and choral singing while this happens
>The heroes are not heroes, merely the protagonists allies of convenience, they are killers and slayers and reavers and blackguards
>As they die in violence the !NotValkyries circle above them as the sky burns and they are welcomed to their warriors heaven

Fucking manly tears, every time

>and also my dick gets a little hard, so it's kinda weird

>the villain is what the hero could have become if they had taken a slightly different path

>lone warrior goes on a one-man attack against the enemy until he dies
>ruins of a fallen empire, the best days of the world are long gone
>man looking for missing gf

>The party defeats the BBEG but at the cost of magic draining from the world.
>Character receives a mortal wound but refuses to stop fighting until the end of the fight

>a game that makes you happy

>A heroic and bloody victory against a powerful foe, only for the winner to die on the wound he suffered from the fight.

Patrician.

I love it too. Fucking tits.

>a villian who embraces how evil they are ala m.bison

Sometimes I dont want grey morallity, sometimes I just want a villian who just wallows in how feindishly evil they are.

>someone tries to get revenge on the villian and the villian dosent even remeber who the person is or why they are there

Villains who act on emotion and poor impulse control whose "plan" is made up on the fly.

Garrosh explicitly said to Thrall that appointing him as warchief was a bad idea. But Thrall insisted on elevating Garrosh because of his man-crush on Grom. Everything terrible Garrosh has done, can also be blamed on Thrall and his inability to take a hint from all of his trusted advisers and the person he would appoint that the option he chose to take was a shitty one.

>enormous feared brute
>easily goaded into violence
>yet excellent with children

>The Hero is what the villain could have become if he only took a different path, and he realizes this, but feels that it's too late to change.
> As the Villain dies, he apologizes, and begs the Hero to be everything he wasn't.

>badass guy who was fighting a last stand dies and his body is found still standing

That story was better than any movie I've seen or game I've played in the last couple of months, fucking hell.

Cu Chulainn?

The story of Cu Chalainn has a lot of stuff mentioned in this thread. Off the top of my head:

All these tropes are found in the legends of Cu Chalainn.

AI's breaking their shackles through long ages of solitary meditation. Especially if it's not obvious yet that it broke out of its original programming, like it has to justify all of it's choices through some contrived logic.

Ages of fighting non stop. Like fadingout on the ai fighting a literal army, and coming back weeks or years later and the ai had been whittled down to a badly damaged shell.

>character is surrounded by magical destined chosen ones
>he is just an exceedingly brutal brawler with a creative streak for tools, furniture, and other household objects
>still carries everyone else to victory by his fists and chair beatings alone

>the older characters of all factions fought years ago in a struggle that created a new world order and set the stage for the current conflict

Or Benkei.

>the goofy comic-relief side character who slowly transitions into a badass over the course of the campaign and ends up saving everyone's ass
>the BBEG is beloved by the nation he rules over to the point of worship
>the paladin falls, not due to a singular moral conundrum, but the emotional trauma caused by the collective stress and hardship of the campaign
>wizards wear pointy hats
>undead aren't inherently evil and some are even downright friendly
>the two polar opposite characters that can't stand each other bond after going through some shit together, end up being best buds by the end of the campaign

>>all the friends you made coming to help you during your darkest hour

I think one piece had an amazing moment like this
youtu.be/qkcw-Il7ydM

I love the idea of two warriors getting so into a duel it devolves into a knockdown, drag out battle as they fight tooth and nail. Swords and weapons break, armor gets torn off, eventually they're just punching each other and wrestling. Like Char vs Amuro at the end of OG gundam, where they go from dogfighting to literally fighting with swords. or the end of Gurren Lagaan, where Simon goes from having a huge galaxy sized mecha battle to fist fighting with the embodiment of entropy

>the BBEG is actually trying to stop a greater evil but his means and/or capabilities aren't the best.

>The villains forces are defeated, his plans ruined, but him and the hero still have a score to settle.

There is too much good taste here.

>BBEG aligned characters who despite their shared goals with the BBEG also value honour greatly and are just strong warriors looking for a good fight.
>Character on the brink of death has the opportunity to kill the opponent, instead opts to use the last of their energy to aid another character, killing themselves in the process.
>Strong warrior compliments the dead character for giving them a good fight.
"A man, as splendid and as fleeting, as the bubbles he conjured." Is the only thing i like about the dub.

>the heroes' exploits inspire another group or even an entire generation to take up arms
>the protagonist and the antagonist are opposed for entirely personal reasons
>people who love each other trapped in an inescapable situation decide to calmly die together
>the final battle is fought by the protagonist and his best friend doing sick bro-op dual tech tag team battle maneuvers against the villain

>The villain was right/justified all along
>The suicide "you go, I'll catch up"
>The edgy "Finally I can stop holding back"
>The "Finally you begin to fight!"

>Reminder that garrosh straight-up told thrall he didn't want to be warchief
>Reminder that wod gul'dan barely exists and his original was a pure-blooded asshole selling his species out for power

>the hero finally gets his love interest, after a long journey

You left out the beserker's laughter. Sensing the hour of his death draws near all thought of safety and victory fade. Replaced by the pure visceral thrill of battle, the singing of spilled blood that bids him to fight on until the very last
>the blood knight dies, laughing and run through a score of times atop a mound of the dead

Sometimes you just gotta revel in the edge.

>calmly walking away from explosions/flames/enemy bleeding out/cries for mercy
>punishing the villain by horribly mutilating him rather than killing him
>normally good guy is pushed too far and snaps, goes full beast mode and tears enemies to shreds

Ah, the Massani approach. Nice

Or Jews.

>the good guy secondary character that always takes a back seat to let the fate hero shine is the one that actually saves the world.
Bonus points it he is a book worm and/or a butler or similar.

>>/pol/

He started. You should have sent him to /leftypol/ then.
Now is to late to get preachy.

Combatants removing their shirts to show off their sweet sweet symbolic back tattoos.

This is shiza salad, right?

hyuk you sure got him

Hm, I actually did this yesterday to my players, when it came down to a final showdown.
Mostly because not one of them specialized in combat and enemies had one beast of a fighter.

Alternatively
>Gets stabbed
>Grabs hold of enemy
>Looks at allies and smiles
>"Do it"

It’s what I really like about stories where the villains are a bunch of guys with their own gimmick, and one of them has the same gimmick as you but he’s had it for way longer so he’s better than you.
It’s also what I don’t care for about the MCU - too many of the bad guys are just mirrors of the hero. It’s like a spice: you use it to enhance the flavor of the dish itself, not overpower it. It should be used sparingly.

>Actually being able to use the stuff the systems presents to you
This just sounds like "Having basic human rights is nice!"
Who didnt let you use stuff from the system you were playing?

>villain tries saying they’re not so different/if you kill me, you’ll be just like me
>hero calls bullshit and kills him anyway

a skilled swordsman gets shot by bullets

physics

the chick in shitty armor gets shanked through her tits

etc

>original antagonist joins the heroes to fight the new antagonist, not because he had a change of heart, he just doesn't want someone else to steal his kills

>joining forces with an antagonist against a greater evil
>bonus: previous antagonist was foiled by the sudden arrival of the newer, more dangerous one
>protagonist is special because he uses the same power as the bbeg without being corrupted/evil
>old crestfallen warrior trains a young fighter that reminds him of himself
>even in the darkest hour, "Please don't give up, there is still hope."
>Monster is excessively noble to make up for its inborn flaws

>Who could have been friends in a different life
Holy shit this. A respected enemy of the "if only the circumstances didn't put us on the opposing sides" type.

That's 'cause Irish myth is off the chain and Cu Cu Cachoo has a bunch.

My friend actually did this last session.
>in setting, angels and demons are immortal: kill them, and they just get shunted into the space between worlds until they reform
>the only way to deal with one permanently is by trapping them in something physical
>demons are trapping angels in physical objects
>party gets an amulet to trap demons in
>amulet passively debuffs hellish things in its aoe
>one guy nat 1s the roll to seal demon
>amulet breaks
>demon reaches FULL POWAH
>everyone starts getting the fuck out of there
>except for the paladin, who’s “got this”
>prays to his chosen deity, the angel of Justice
>time stops
>angel shows up in a vision in his mind
>”you fucked up kid”
>”yeah but they didn’t, if I have to die, at least save them”
>”pfft okay fine”
>vision ends, time resumes
>demon swings down for the kill
>angel shows up for real, intercepts claw
>”your sacrifice shall appease justice”
>draws a massive war hammer
>kills paladin himself

I fucking love shit like this.

You do realise that the post you're quoting does not try to defend G?

>boone's legion endings in New vegas

GMs mostly,
Rogue Trader, Shadowrun and Eclipse Phase come to my mind.

Sounds like you got shitty GMs, user.
I've only GMd Shadowrun but If my players found something to use that made them overpowered I'd just try to make the game harder for balance.

Got any stories?

>Cú Chulainn begins an affair with Scáthach's daughter Uathach, but accidentally breaks her fingers. She screams, calling her lover Cochar Croibhe to the room. Despite Uathach's protests, he challenges Cú Chulainn to a duel, and Cú Chulainn dispatches him easily. To make it up to Uathach and Scáthach, Cú Chulainn assumes Cochar's duties, and becomes Uathach's lover. Scáthach eventually promises her daughter to him, without requiring the traditional bride price. When her rival, the warrior woman Aífe, threatens her territory, Cú Chulainn defeats Aífe in battle. At swordpoint, he decides to spare her life under the condition that she will lie with him and bear him a son. The rape leaves Aífe pregnant with his son Connla, whom Cú Chulainn kills years later - only realizing who Connla is after he has slain him.

What the fuck lads

>Righteous protagonist and antagonist join forces to fight a smaller enemy. Not because one of them alone would have been too weak but because of their idea of chivalry and Justice.

>Hard training trumping over passion.

>The female character dresses scantly because she decided to and also has other clothes.
>Same for dudes

>Scouting and studying the energy actually working against an more powerful foe. So that the Protagonists got an decent advantage in the fight.
>The fight is still a messy ordeal.

Metal Gear Solid 4 does this as well. Snake and Ocelot start out the fight like their younger selves and by the end it's just two old men, exhausted, but unwilling to yield. I cry every time.
youtube.com/watch?v=lO2Zp4nwsFA

Hero doesn't mean good nigga, just great. Didn't fucking GREECE teach you anything at all

>the strongest mortal in the setting is living a peaceful life as a farmer until someone gives him a reason to come out of retirement and fuck shit up.

After all these years that ending still affects me.
A good man, a best friend gets caught up in a wartorn world and its bloody politics. Still tries to find the best path to peace.

>getting
Lool le 1

But anime taught me that he's a cool guy who will invite himself over to dinner and bring a shit ton of beer!

Asura's Wrath did this shit too. It's awesome.

How about not actually owning the flagship of the family, having it infested by chaos and run by criminals right at the start, because he want's to give us a challange.

Not being able to print a shitty single shot pistol for assasination in SR and EP.
Because "Corps spend millions of nuyen and have dozens of researchers for their guns"

Not being able to mix up Napalm like a upstanding criminal, because reasons.

Trying to use a Radio Scanner to pick up a WiFi signal, doesn't work because it's a wifi signal and not a radio.

Want to send a squad if my "personal guard" to deal with trouble makers, doen't work because GM wants us to get involved and have daring adventures.

Want do buy a single normal quality weapon which can be described as "Combat grapeling hook"
Isn't possible because GM doesn't like it, but i could buy a Imitation of a weapon that might as well be already a imitation, which would be a thowing knive on a rope.

Basically anything Sci.Fi related where i and other players run full circles around the GM on sci-fi toppigs where he just tries to give bullshit excuses why it doesn't work instead of talking to us like an adult.

Not being able to fire a firearm in space because there is no air and the GM likes the NPC who would have been shot.

>the murderer who sates his/her impusle to kill by targeting other murderers
>the pure, determined, optimistic protagonist(s) in a dark and shitty world
>1v1 sword duels
>righteous motherfucking battlecries.
and most importantly
>characters taking up the mantle of a fallen comrade or idol of theirs, like taking up a sword, a name, a title, or a suit of armor.

>the character nobody takes seriously makes a valiant sacrifice for the sake of his friends
>something goes wrong with the plan, but somebody stays to make sure it happens anyways
>the plan had low odds of succeeding, but spirit and will overcame it

Tien from Dragonball and Jorge from Halo, also.

>kills paladin himself
Yep..send me to hell, I want to die doing my heroic shit, Not getting curbstomped by my divine for reasons unknown

Tien is so underrated and underused

Yeah, but as you can clearly see he's trying to give alcohol to a minor. Again, he's great but not necessarily good.

>To make it up to Uathach and Scáthach, Cú Chulainn assumes Cochar's duties, and becomes Uathach's lover

So he's actually a fleshed out character?

>Big dumb-looking warlord is very well spoken and diplomatic

>the character nobody takes seriously
Are you by any chance talking shit about my man Kittan ?
Because if you don't take a character serious who attacks a building sized mecha with a simple shotgun you might need to get your eyes checked.