Main antagonist is a cultist to elder gods trapped outside of reality and wants to bring them into the real world

>Main antagonist is a cultist to elder gods trapped outside of reality and wants to bring them into the real world.
>The reason for this is that in his years as a normal mage he was transported outside reality and floated among them for but a fraction of an instant
>This was long enough for him to feel a glimpse of the monumental agony they felt every moment as maddening oblivion tormented them without respite or end
>motivated solely by altruism and pity, he seeks to free them from the Outside simply because he believes no being should suffer what they are going through, and whatever should happen when they are brought to the mundane world would be nothing compared to the torments found outside of it and worth any loss of life.

Is this a good villain concept?

I would certainly enjoy it.

I can dig it

I like it. He'd seem somewhat sane, pure of heart. There'd be serious logic and reasoning. But the motives are still there for a hero to try and stop him.

Meh
Stories are more than the bad guy motivation
Besides his reasons what makes him different from other cultists?

Genuinely nice guy, sane, reasonable, will go out of his way to help those in need, but cannot be dissuaded from his goals.

Decently interesting. 9/10 would try to convince against own plans.

Villain concept rating thread?

>Scientist who studies medicine and biology, attempting to prevent death as a whole.
>Right on the cusp of a major breakthrough.
>Or so he believes - other scientists have double checked his calculations and came to the conclusion that his act would not make everyone everyoung, but kill off 75 percent of the world's population.
>The scientist himself is completely convinced that he's doing it right, doing the right thing and his act would benefit everyone.

Have you read RA?
Basically villain motivation is that thousands of bilions of human minds are trapped and they need the sun to reactivate.
For this reason he is willing to destroy the current 7 bilion Earth population in order to let the thousand bilions life.

I don't know what RA is

a very long webnovel
qntm.org/ra
Honesty I would not recommend reading it.

oh all right then.

>Some things I don't know have a shitty life, time to destroy everything I do know to help
I don't think I can interpret that as altruism rather than brain damage.

user the Great Old Ones are peaceful refugees just looking for a better life. What right do we have to turn them away?

bump for interest

Still seems like another chip off the "Megalomaniac scientist ignores the rules™" archetype, but I could see it working with the right execution.

He's still a dick for not listening to his colleagues though.

I think it'd be pretty cool, bonus points if you get the PCs to actively help him only to be betrayed or somehow come into contact with these beings and realize what's up.

It's really similar to the plot line of Berserk's pre-Fantasia arcs.

No. Looks pathetic.
Seriously, pathetic as fuck

If he's reasonable, why does he want to bring he gods back?

I'd honestly be a little worried that he's not antagonistic enough.

I don't think that's how elder gods work at all.

In the game i set up and handed to another to actually GM, he's genuinely trying to help people, and the colleagues who checked his calculations have dismissed his earlier experiments as thoroughly impossible, and proven wrong when the experiment in question worked out near perfectly. So it kind of makes sense he wouldn't listen to them - they've been wrong before, although it does nothing to change the fact that they're completely right on this particular piece.

Here's another from the same game:

>An amoral, "sell-my-own-grandma-for-a-load-of-moolah" type crook turned the absolute emperor of a distant land by divine right.
>Raising an army in a bid to make not!Japan great again, actually just trying to earn lots of money "legally"
>Fully aware and indifferent of the myriad war crimes his army of bandits commits.
>No one questions him because he has the heavenly mandate backing him
>the gods can't do anything because of celestial red tape, only hope is someone kills him before he does too much damage.

This is like an antinatalist in reverse, I love it.

>Elder Gods
>feeling anything
it's okay if the cultist ends up dead wrong at the end, because he is dead wrong. also
>years as a normal mage
>>/x/

you are describing Rasputin from the first Hellboy movie.

Well Rasputin just want them to be free because he thinks the world must burn, not because he thinks they are suffering

I'd eat that shit up, but I'm a big sap. Either way, I'd say go for it, it sounds solid and incredibly interesting.

Would the still-living 25% be everyoung, though?
Because if so, I'll take those odds. I'm willing to trade my remaining 70 or so years for a chance at eternity in my prime.

In the game he was in, not without pre-existing conditions.
Namely, a disease that generated active uranium traces in the liver, and an inability to process the requisite carrier chemicals for the second phase of the experiment naturally.
It would have worked perfectly, had he not miscalculated a few sequences, resulting in the first phase destroying the patient's immune system for a while, and the second phase rapidly infecting and necrotizing any cells it came in contact with, effectively acting as a souped up carcinogenic.
The intent was to lock the cell's regenerative instructions to always produce prime healthy cells and spread it's own instructions to other cells like a symbiotic cancer of sorts, offering eternal youth in exchange for a slight increase in calorie intake.
But, back on topic, only about 5% of the survivors would experience the experiment as it was intended.
The rest just never felt anything odd happen.

Of course, none of that happened and said scientist is backreading through his notes to form a version fully compatible with every race on the planet.
Considering the in-setting Earth is effectively Traverse Town, there's a lot of intelligent humanoids he has to research and include.

I really like this concept

Bonus point for misguided evil cultists that are disconnected from the villain so much that they dont understand his motivations

So a 1/20 chance. Much riskier. Still may be worth taking, though, depending on what exactly happens after death in your setting.

Sup Ult Doom

Because when you see someone suffering, the reasonable thing is to help them.

Not really explored in game yet, but reading through worldbuilding notes and idea memos from both myself and the GM, there's an organization of reapers who sort out the dead by faith and alignment, sending the Mythra worshippers to Mythra's realms, Neo-olympists to Mount Olympus and good old-fashioned christians to the rebuilt Garden of Eden, who also offer three requests if they're beaten in a game of their choosing.
So even if you die, you can come back if you're, say, grandmaster level in Mario Kart or able to checkmate a neural network AI trained by chess champions.
Of course, the experiment's effects wouldn't go anywhere, so unless you explicitly asked for disease immunity as one of your request (when better options like big bucks, amplified strength and free travel between earth and your favorite afterlife are available) you'd just drop dead again once the necrotization hit your vital organs.
Reading back, though, i noticed, logically speaking, there would also be an abouts 1% of the survivors who had only the uranium liver disease but no carrier block, and worst case scenario got their body locked between necrotizing failed second phase and mutation-originating intended second phase constantly flipping cells between dead, regenerated, infected, necrotizing, repeat loop.
Probably pretty painful.

And i solemnly swear, i've never read any superhero comics so i wasn't aware Doom was anywhere near similar.

thats pretty neat senpai