How do you treat damaged chitin? Do you use a cast? Do you re-assemble the broken parts like a puzzle...

How do you treat damaged chitin? Do you use a cast? Do you re-assemble the broken parts like a puzzle, and then use an epoxy?
How do you treat a damaged ent? Sap? Do you graft in a new piece of wood?
How do you treat a damaged rock person? Do you use mud packs to hold pieces together?
How do you properly stitch a scaled creature? Will that interfere with shedding?

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/insects-can-patch-their-broken-bones
en.wikivet.net/Lizard_and_Snake_Surgery
npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/14/585773906/watch-ants-act-as-medics-treat-wounds-of-injured-nest-mates
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sciencenewsforstudents.org/article/insects-can-patch-their-broken-bones

Insects at the very least can actually heal their chitin internally, their own bodies will release an epoxy. A tight bandage may help.

For an Ent, good question. They may have to simply regrow a new limb. Grafting in a new limb via cutting may also work, but where do you get said tiny arm from?

I can see rock people needing an epoxy like Caulk, Clay, or Concrete to seal damaged sections. I Would assume they slowly generate/calcify more surface area though, otherwise abrasion would wear them down.

en.wikivet.net/Lizard_and_Snake_Surgery
>Surgical incisions in reptiles undergo the same phases of healing as mammalian wounds but strengthen much more slowly. Factors affecting wound healing include would include ambient temperature (i.e. POTZ), hygiene, orientation (longitudinal wounds heal more quickly). Leave sutures in for at least three to six weeks.
>Absorption of buried sutures appears prolonged because reptiles may lack proteolytic enzymes. Do not use catgut.
Skin incisions tend to invert so use an everting suture pattern. Do not use continuous suture pattern in areas of stress (e.g. horizontal mattress, staples).
>Warn owners that shed skin may adhere in the areas of the healed surgical wounds for several sheds postoperatively. This can be gently removed.

How do you treat chitin or rock for wearing?
Is there a tanning process?

You just die, like the expendable thing you are. Your hive recycles you into food for the queen who recycles you into something useful again. Bugs are successful by breeding, not by caring for their wounded.

Ent probably grows his shit back, or maybe has gnarly scars that add character to his outer rings forever.

Rock people don't make any sense, golems and such are repaired by the wizard.

In TES, the Dunmer take it and laminate it.

>no shardmind treatment
>no ent treatment
>DOUBLE no bug treatment
Racist.

npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/02/14/585773906/watch-ants-act-as-medics-treat-wounds-of-injured-nest-mates

At least with Ents, keep in mind the stupid amount of durability plants have for some stuff. When trees get an embolism, they basically just kill off the affected section and carry on as normal despite that there is a dead portion of tree in the middle of them. Then if they've got the time, they can slowly refill the embolsim and try and fix the mess. Ents probably shrug off most wounds if they're small enough, which is kind of a horrifying thought.

However, this probably also means that grevious injury is hard to fix, outside of grafting on new limbs, and depending on how ents work you might be able to just graft regular trees onto the limb.

>Ents can graft body parts from other ents.
>Ents claim the limbs of their rivals as trophies. An Ent warrior might have multiple arms, or mismatched parts showing his various victories.
>Ents pass their limbs down to their offspring when they die. Ents graft their ancestors limbs as a sign of respect and believe it will pass on their ancestors attributes.

I'm just going to jump to the natural conclusion of this.
A ball of wood with 50 ent heads grafted on that does high level dimensional calculations.

Christ, I really wish we had good, core psionics for 5e. The mystic in its current iteration is great, but it didn't make it into either of the Xanathar books.

eat the broken limb and grow a new one next molt.

First post best post.
Third post shit post.

Nobody likes psionics, despite it being the absolute coolest.

I wish we just had Kreen in 5e, but I've resigned myself to the fact that 5e can't handle a four-armed PC option.

3% of all insects are hivemind bullshittery and that's counting out the fuckton of other chitin wearing non-insects fuck of you creatively dishonest tard.

everyone always assumes hivemind when you are talking about bugs.
It gets even worse when you are talking about communal bugs with a caste system and some pherimone control. No matter how many times you say they are still peasant-level intelligent themselves, people will insist they are mindless hivemind drones.

This is one of the reasons why I like ubiquitous healing magic in a game and setting.

There's no ultra-complex manuals of medicine about how to stitch up wounds for orcs, humans, elves as well as other weirder creatures like bug men, ents, golems, elementals, etc. It's just life energy that you restore with magic spells/potions.

My undead brethren can't heal that way, it just makes things worse for us.
D&D's "most undead are mindless" horse hockey creates the same frustrations for me. "You can't play as a skeleton wizard, they can't talk!"

Insects molt their chitin for that very reason, but they probably have coagulants for when the cracks go to the inside.

Ents and rock people don't heal, at least easily. Its a balancing thing, just like undead. That's the tradeoff for being immune to so many things and being a murderfucker.

>Would assume they slowly generate/calcify more surface area though, otherwise abrasion would wear them down.
>Rock elementals are born giants from magma, and as they age they grow smaller and smaller as abrasion wears them down

>5e can't handle a four-armed, sleepless, posion spitting, 30 foot jumping latent psionic PC option.

yeah, it sucks, I know.

>How do you treat damaged chitin.

Same way you treat pet insects: you cover it with a hard, inert casing (like plastic), and wait for it to heal underneath.

>How do you treat a damaged ent?

Same way you treat plants when you graft them: stick a cutting from a complimentary plant species and wrap cling film around it.

>How do you treat a damaged rock person?

Molten rock, maybe? Like when you cauterise a wound, only you can stick the missing fragments back on.

>How do you properly stitch a scaled creature?

Like you stitch reptile skin: you stitch the flesh beneath the scales.

>Bugs are successful by breeding, not by caring for their wounded.
But that's fucking wrong
Ants render medical attention to their wounded after raiding termite colonies.

This needs a brazzers logo.

Pretty sure that Dark Sun covered what kreen need to do to fix cracked chitin.

But what happens when you're one of those unfortunate civilizations who never discovered healing magic? Healers that weren't clerics or divinely powered existed in earlier editions of AD&D and while they were in most cases worse clerics, they did solve the question of whether someone bothered to learn medical care for all these exotic bodies in case healing magic suddently stopped working.

>bugs recover from injury from molting
>molts from bugs that have a tougher carapace naturally are stronger themselves
>bugs with the strongest natural carapace can make a living by enduring hardening exercises and selling off molted carapace
Workable?

Maybe not as a default job, but possibly as an acceptable side-job for those who undergo work where it is expected they will suffer harm.
Soldiers, deep-miners, lumberjacks in the forest with dire wolves, etc.

>the edition that gave all but two races darkvision can't handle a little sleepless high-jumping
We all know the second pair of arms can't hold weapons or shields, and in a setting without psionics, they simply won't have psionics.

best answer
is now canon

That was just an innocent image of me and my skeleton warrior poisoning pigeons in the park, but hearty chuckle.

Termites are the worst.

Maybe this can be how ents would do FTL calculations. Their ships are actually conglomerations of elders.

Carapace, like bone, becomes incredibly brittle if the living part isn't supplying the bone with the necessary stuff.

Brittle or no, dead bone is still hella good as a material.

With magic, duh

>skeleton tossing poison flakes sitting right next to an old lady tossing bread
I would love to live in this town

Except you know, the brittle part.