ITT: P'orcs

What does Veeky Forums think about Pig Orcs?
Interesting variant? Useless fiddling? A shade too monstrous or a shade too cute? Let's discuss the bacon and the world they live in.

For those who don't know, P'orcs, Porcs, or simply Pig-Orcs, usually just Orcs in context, are a usually japanese variant of the normal Green-people-with-tusks style of Orcs that dominate western fantasy that gives them varying amounts of pig-like characteristics.

I personally like Pig-Orcs because when played for evil they make them seem more monstrous and twisted, when played for good they make them seem more cute and endearing.
Personally I like them cute and endearing. But that might just be me missing the point of Orcs entirely.

>I personally like Pig-Orcs because when played for evil they make them seem more monstrous and twisted, when played for good they make them seem more cute and endearing
I don't feel the need to make them cute, but I agree that they can have a good range for characters and/or sub-races or cultures. I like them, but like any other fanatsy race you shouldn't stop by making them just pig-faced orcs and go a bit deeper with your world-building. The pig-faces just rather accentuate what you are trying to do with these orcs.

Some oldschool pig-orcs for people think that they are a weeb-only thing.

I hear you, but aside from aesthetics and maybe the mad-science angle of say, Darkest Dungeon or maybe Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, what does adding pig features do for Orcs?

>not Boarcs

What's the distinction?

Don't pigs have sensitive noses and thick hides?
I tracks with the more brutish nature of orcs.
boarcs are preferred over straight pigmen

What even is a 'boarc'
It sounds like just another term for 'pig-orc'

The only proper variant. Tolkien Orcs were just him using Goblins but not wanting to use that name. Warhammer/WoW/D&D Orcs are just Ogres with green skin. Everything else just copies one or the other, but true Orcs (pig orcs) are rare.

>For those who don't know, P'orcs, Porcs, or simply Pig-Orcs, usually just Orcs in context, are a usually japanese variant of the normal Green-people-with-tusks style of Orcs that dominate western fantasy that gives them varying amounts of pig-like characteristics.

Do you even original D&D, OP?

Anyways, I like them. Considering how orcs in fantasy art are turning into green, handsome chads and green bimbos, going back to the roots would help giving a fresh twist to orcs as a monstrous race.

The roots of Orcs aren't even pigmen. However, I do very much like pigmen.

Notice how I said 'usually', not always.
Pig-Orcs are japanese BECAUSE of the original dnd splatbooks.

They visually are, at least in D&D and, by extension, in practically every fantasy game including orcs ever, though I think to remember there was a LotR board game back in 1975 that pictured orcs simply as ugly humanoids.

Ok, you're right. My mistake.

Pic related is from Tolkien Calendar year 1976, so it was probably made between early and mid 1975, I guess.

Sunovabitch.
Beat me too it.

The Farrow from Warmahordes are pretty awesome.

I have a variety of greenskin species in my setting, much like there are varied humans.

The most common are Orks, they are direct ripoffs from warhammer, they have evolved to coexist with a fungal symbiote that has led to different stages of growth. They are the most warlike and brutal of the three I am depicting here. Luckily they are preoccupied with fighting eachother deep underground, with the odd raiding party to the surface. Easily generalized by large tusks and stooped gorilla-like stature.

The next are P'orcs, or Orukk. These are the first orcs, piggish features and strongfat bodies, these tribelike folk are simple and content with their lifestyle. Known to take what they want with force, and will fight to the death if threatened.

The last are the Gray Orcs. These orcs came about after many generations of Orukk breeding with other humanoids. Gray orcs are now a species of their own, taking on a more human appearance and mannerism. They are the most civilized orcs and have integrated with other societies.

>Interesting variant?

Jewish pig orcs fighting steampunk Egypt until Charles Darwin and his Shaman accidentally rouse the chtonic god that's been supplying the capital with drinking water.

But they are delicious.

How do you do, fellow orcs?

It's a lot beter representation of lower charisma than being a green body builder with tusks.

Oh fuck you're right these dudes look baller.

...Source?

Pig Folk aren’t Orcs

He tried to make a pun like Porc is a pun on Pork.

Go back to the other thread.
This isn't a good thread for you.

I’m gonna need to see your “Master of all Fantasy Media” license, sir

Elf san won't diet. just google it.

Does anyone else think about the evolution of their races? How do porcs view mundane pigs?

Assuming porcs came from pigs, which relies heavily on how you've fluffed them, I'd say 'no quandary with farming and eating them.'
These are brutal beings we're talking about.

Probably how we view monkeys

I think Orcs visually should reflect their vice. I prefer the warham/craft for race of warriors but I prefer pig orcs for greedy short sighted assholes. Not goblin orcs for indicator of corruption.

This.
I remembered a ratfolk character I made once. He had a rat as his familiar. In that setting, all ratfolks could make rats their familiars no matter if they actually had any other magic abilities, so why not.

I use P'orcs in my setting. They are peaceful tribals that are raised on farms for their meat.

I always preferred Ian Miller's orcs

Reminder that there is technically no difference between pigs and boar. A P'Orc is also a Boarc. They are the same animal and species. /an/ out.

>an /an/on
I thought y'alls were extinct!

ahah, charade you are!

I think the pic is the best compromise between
"green human" and "swine furries".
I would prefer like the pic in this post, occasionally other features because the orcs can breed with almost everyone.

Depends on the basic stats of the race.
Say, DnD orcs are often very strong so short piggies don't fit very well.
They guy you posted is better in this specific regard, but I see more something like this

Is it so wrong to want a cute piggy orcfu?
Is that so wrong?

>usually japanese variant
they are the original bruh

What does 'usually' mean to you my man?
Yes they were the originals, but can you honestly say the 'usual' orc in western fantasy is a pig-orc?

B'ocs are what you get when they go to long without a dark master to reign them in

>it's literally just a green man with tusks
What's the point in having different races if there's no significant differences?

I would kill to be able to play the Swine of Darkest Dungeon in a tabletop wargame.

I feel like playing such a race would get boar-ing pretty fast

Thredd 2 Dedd.
Post Orc-Lore.

I've always thought it'd be interesting to try and find a way to deal with Tolkien's orcs that's compatible with Catholic theology. For a start it means the orcs really can't be beyond salvation. If they're the descendants of elves captured by Morgoth, then the orcs being beyond salvation means that the devil can seize something that is God's creation by brute force. If they were created by Morgoth, then it means the devil can create intelligent creatures of his own. Again, intruding rather noticeably on God's domain. So you're left with a framework in which it must be possible for Orcs to be redeemed. Which makes how they're treated in the books kind of an issue.

What are they like?

Didn't Tolkien himself comment on that and regret making the Orcs so one-dimensionally evil?

I thought about it with Holstauri and how they would view cows, and people eating beef. I don't think they'd be offended by it but, as another user put it, they'd see the cows (and porcs would see pigs) the same way we see great apes. They wouldn't be offended or hurt by people eating them, just a bit disgusted. Imagine someone offering you a plate of Orangutan meat. You may or may not try a bite out of morbid curiosity, but chances are you'd refuse out of sheer disgust and see whoever's eating it as a weirdo. That's the way holstauri and porcs would see humans, I think.

I now want French porcs. Think about it. Pigs have a very refined sense of smell, being pretty much the only creatures that can locate truffles. How is that not the most French thing possible? And then there's the fact that Gaul was often associated with boars. It'd also be funny to see them being utterly disgusting with humans eating pork while they themselves chow down on snails and sheep brains.

Yes, I use P'orcs. These are my orcs.
>Hate the sun and hurt by it, prefer to raid human settlements at night or dusk.
>give birth to degenerate runts called "squealers" which can stand the sunlight- used as scouts
>Great Sows are massive female orcs tgat use magic and force the male and lesser female orcs to bring back slaves and food for their empire.

that's just putting the cart before the horse. japan got the visual aesthetic from OD&D, so the claim that they are "usually" Japanese is kinda retarded.

Now Moblins are an interesting case, as they were originally more bulldog like and later turned more pig-like. But Link's Awakening had bulldog Moblins and Pig-Moblins exist in the same place. More like one sub species pushing out the other than a retcon?

I don't think I'll include orcs in my homebrew. Maybe I'm just tired of them. They're mostly either savages or noble savages, and I don't like either portrayal, especially not anything resembling WoW orcs.

Goblins, hobgoblins, bugbears, ogres, trolls, and giants I can all tie to the Feywild. But orcs just don't fit in there.

Pig orcs are best orcs

Anyone who lives in an area of the US that has an infestation of wild hogs can agree

Nah, Tolkien's original orcs were described by him as mongol-looking, not looking like pigs. They were supposed to be a lot like men, but with fangs, sallow skin, and flatter noses. You must mean they were the original D&D orcs, but that, I believe, started with a misunderstanding on the part of the artist.

Tolkien orcs basically looked like pic related. I think he even flat out said they look like a monstrous caricature of an Asian man.

would they fit in shadowfell? Because I can imagine them being servants of some death god, either as ruthless opponents of life or simply neutral guardians of dead spirits. And it ties in their weakness to sunlight.

They were usually a bit bigger and wider than that, but yeah, pretty much. The actual quote was

"they are (or were) squat, broad, flat-nosed, sallow-skinned, with wide mouths and slant eyes; in fact degraded and repulsive versions of the (to Europeans) least lovely Mongol-types."

Yeah, Tolkien may have chastised the Nazis for Antisemitism inthe years before WWII, but he definitely had some racist attitudes of his own.

Everyone had racist actituds, and most of the people wolrd wide still does (talk to some Africans or Asians).

I love their Mad Max meets Weird Science aesthetic.

I have a similar feeling of how artifical orcs feel. So I ran with that, they're not natural creatures, they're the result of magic experiments with corpses, giant flesh, and demon ichor. They were born in vats for war. Then they lost their purpose and had to find a new one.

How much pig is too much pig?

Uhm, maybe thats a good idea actually. My shadowfell is filled with dead titans killed by the gods, and their undead citizens that stayed loyal instead of siding with the gods rebellion.

But shadowfell-themed orcs could be cool. But I'd need something more, I don't want just orcs but with more skull decorations than usual.

This may seem quaint, but the demon king of undeath was named Orcus. Seems like a natural idea to link orcs to Orcus.

I think maybe making them a bit ghoul or Gollum like, with lanky postures and big, round eyes, kind of preying upon the undead. They're spawn of Orcus, but they're savage and only semi-sentient, like a missing link between ape and man.

AFAIK yes. But he never quite resolved the issue. I've toyed with the idea of what an Orc Moses or Orc Jesus might be like.

Orc Versailles would be interesting.

I was always bothered by a god named Orcus. In the 2nd edition days I really thought he was the god of orcs.

But I'm not including any D&D gods or demon lords in my game, I feel it might lead players who know the lore to have certain expectations about them, but also about what gods and demon lords are, which doesn't work with my cosmology.

Some good suggestions in this thread. Maybe I'll post some ideas tomorrow if the thread is still up.

I think pig orcs are better than normal orcs nowadays.

To make Porcs I play boar/pig men like the ones of darkest dungeon, Farrows or the pig men in World of warcraft.

>Pigs.
>Not Entedolons

I think I know a few settings you might enjoy...

Well considering how that character is just straight up a pig, and not very orky at all, I'd say 'toopig4fantasy'
Emelie a cute. She singlehandedly made me want to pitch headfirst into magical realm and make sweethearted p'orcs into my setting.

Wasn't there an RPG called Orcs? They were cannibals or something and they got powers from eating different organs iirc.

Can't remember if it was any good for an idea mine.

56%

Well I'm absolutely all for ravenous, meat-clever wielding orcs out for their next meal.
It's why i love 40K Orks so much.

Aren't 40k orcs just mushrooms? They eat people?

They will eat almost anything. Greenskins can be pretty scary from an outside perceptive.

40K Orks are terrifying. They are huge, an Ork Boy even with their stooped posture looming a fair bit over a full grown Human. A Nob easily a match in height and girth for a Marine. They hardly feel pain and shrug off wounds that would knock a man out of the fighting or kill him. They eat pretty much everything that is smaller than them. And what they consider good fun most would consider torture. I belive there is a story out there where a few Orks break into a farmers house and slowly dismember the poor guy for shits and giggles (literally) cracking jokes as they kill the dude.

Worst of all as soon as you have an Ork on your planet(barring some extreme measures) you're going to have to deal with them from then on out. Killing them just makes more of them, Fighting them just makes them organize and strengthens the who weeding out the week.

They are the result of your careless Ancestor's experiments being dumped in the sewer.They grew into a man-eating, mutant, tribal society of sorts.

I mean... they're different.

Honestly sometimes that's enough, sometimes the table just wants something different and switching up the way some race looks works. I've done it once or twice and with a bit of extra fluff I've gotten a dozen or so sessions combined out of players wanting to dick around with the neat-o different race.

Personally I can't really disassociate them from all the creepy /d/ shit I see them in since that's all I ever see them in, but other people don't spend time in /d/egenerateburg so I guess the whole concept wasn't ruined for them with badly drawn dicks.

Fuck pig folk, I don't care if ADnD did it, I don't care that weebs think it's cool.

Pig folk are stupid and lame. They arnt Orcs.

>Fuck pig folk

Best ork.

Usually takes the place of gnolls as the rowing humanoids that only leave ruin behind, worse than gnolls really as they'll eat everything flesh, crops, grains, corpses, their "druids" will even force the land to yield all it can exhausting it for decades.

So they are hated, hunted and reviled even by other evil humanoids.

All because their primordial champion dared to eat at the gods feast before the head god.

i would be more leaning towards calling them Boar men
but i generally find them cooler/more interesting that the regular greenskin

they kinda give a beastmen wibe

P orks are in my opinion, one of the best barbarian races because of Pig's tendency to go feral over nothing
>PORKED.com

fun fact: Pig dicks are screw shaped just like their tails

One drop of blood.

Yeah, here you go. And my "I don't give a fuck about you" registration.

t. Ahmed

>What does Veeky Forums think about Pig Orcs?

I love them and use them almost exclusively- having no interest what so ever in going back to current orcs.

Culture and application-wise, I generally treat them as 'squealing industrialists' and give them a combination of all the worst qualities of boars, pigs, and industrialist european and modern chinese culture: they're thoughtless, inconsiderate, disrespectful to their environment, wasteful, petty, they build, forge, and manufacture fast quantities of arms, armors, machines, parts, goods, but all of it is cheap and disposable in quality.
Orcs come through an area like a natural disaster and leave it a flooded, poorly managed, polluted, shit hole: waste piled up, areas stripped of wood, coal, and easily available resources (lacking the discipline to effectively deep mine a local), game hunted, and abandoned livestock and animals left behind to scavenge before they move on to the next.
When they're kept in low numbers the ingenuity and integrity of Orcish culture is easier to observe: they're honest, they make excellent farmers and laborers, and they're willing to fight and die for what they deem valuable, but high population density corrupts them far too easily- they become degenerate, selfish, hateful, stupid, and unwise every time they begin building their ugly fortresses and filthy kingdoms.

(P)Orcish civilization exists in a constant state of self destruction and reclamation. To their credit, though, they have accomplished a few things: they invented gunpowder, they've bred numerous unique breeds of pig, dog, and horse, and their unhygienic way of life lead to the develop of dozens of medicinal theories, practices, and vaccines.
Smallpox was finally cured because people noticed you didn't die from it if you had suffered Orcpox.

I like it, user. Did something same.

I keep imagining they will be shitposting about how much they hate elves after this encounter

Love 'em! I use them to distinguish them from "noble savage" orcs and people thinking them related to goblins. For me Orcs are the rape and pillagers of the world and have no redeeming quality, giving the player a complete carte blanche to kill them.

It also makes half-orcs interesting, since they are now acctually hated rather than high strength humans.

I have a very similar deal with my Orcs except what they produce is can be highly variable. Orc tech can have the highest peaks and the lowest lows.