EDH / Commander Genera

Previously:>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Unofficial and new, but has GOAT search interface and updates on time.
scryfall.com

>Thread Question
What is the worst end result of a trade you've made?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EpZCKnha464
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dwarven-alliances/?cb=1519504440
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>What is the worst end result of a trade you've made?

i once traded money for cards to play a childrens card game

I traded a snapcaster mage for like, a fatpack of M12. It was about even at the time, but ehhhh.

>was about even at the time
This is what always gets me. I suck at predicting prices.

I traded a Liliana of the veil for Sorin, Lord of Innistrad when they were even at the time.

Probably a ton of shit I traded away when I was younger and newer to the game.
I remember losing a Decree of Annihilation when it was the first rare I opened in a booster and made me really like Scourge, but that's something else entirely.

youtube.com/watch?v=EpZCKnha464

Traded Survival of the Fittest for a mid-sized fastfood meal in 2007

>What is the worst end result of a trade you've made?
i make a lot of money so i am fairly relaxed when it comes to trades. i don't mind losing a dollar on a trade, especially if i'm trading with a young kid or a poor student. there is a guy i play with regularly who proposed a trade that was off by about $15 though. i knew it was off so i asked him to look it up. he pulled out his phone and told me that they were the same price, but i could tell he was a bit nervous as he spoke.

i went ahead and made the trade and he probably feels like he got the good end of the deal but now i know what kind of person he is and integrity is worth a lot more than $15.

Come the fuck on.
This is why you never trade, you only buy them the cards.

I would believe that it's just innocent clumsy design choices if WotC employees weren't constantly screeching on social media about "WE'RE DOING DIVERSITY AND YOU Y P PO JUST HAVE TO FUCKIN DEAL WITH IT!"
and I don't even have a problem with the diversity shit, the way they're doing it just feels really cheap and exploitative.

also

" And Teferi, Jhoira and Karn being together is how it has always been."
This is part of my point, they act like the game has just been starved for diversity, but the cast has had a range of people from different background for a looong time.

>i went ahead and made the trade and he probably feels like he got the good end of the deal but now i know what kind of person he is and integrity is worth a lot more than $15.
What's the point? You already knew that before making the trade.
>a more realistic look
Wut.

Demonic Tutor for some dumb standard bullshit. Then I got into EDH.

>bought a gilded drake online
>an a bunch of sexy stax cards
>had enough money for an eighth of AAAA sativa
>going to lift, blaze, drink a protein shake, and build a stax deck
Thanks anons, I really appreciate you guys. Birthdays suck, but with friends like these, why do I need to go anywhere else?

My first set release was Innistrad, man. I had bought the Grab for Power intro deck less than a few months prior.

>blaze
blaze up ur cards fgt lol

hippy barthday user

Thanks buddy!

Sure, would this foil lodestone myr work?

How do players react when you tell them you want to buy them the cards they want to trade? Is it something the community accepts or is it looked down upon?

Zacama is pretty new so there isn't much of an EDHREC portfolio for him yet. Anyone got any good value tech ideas?

So far my tech is:

>Panharmonicon for double mana untap
>Basilisk Collar to ping shitstains off the battlefield
>Draw cards off creature power to refuel immediately after casting commander

I refuse to run seedborn muse since it's a bit too cancerous for my tastes

Why don't you just buy the cards you want instead of buying cards someone else wants and then trading them? Seems like an unnecessary extra step.

>>Panharmonicon for double mana untap
Doesn't work that way. There's no time to tap your lands in response to panharmonicon.

Honestly? I'd just run things like Flicker then valuetown your way to victory.

That can't be right. It triggers twice. You respond to each trigger.

I'll gladly exchange cards for cash, most stores frown upon it though.

>using drugs

what a faggot, no wonder you are alone

um panharmonicon works and flicker doesn't. worst post i've seen all day dude, apply yourself

Panharmonicon puts two "untap all lands you control" triggers on the stack. You untap your lands with the first trigger then respond to the second trigger by tapping your lands. It works. Mana abilities don't use the stack, after all.

>Doesn't work that way. There's no time to tap your lands in response to panharmonicon.
What? His triggered ability would go into the stack twice. Then you can tap and float your mana after the first trigger resolves.

Because I'm not offering them the same price of the LGS? Duh.
I'm still offering them more than what they'd offer them cash.
Yeah, I imagined that, I fear some autist might go to the owner and tell him about it.

if your going to buy cards you might as well just do it online where you can get cash back on a credit card or tcgplayer kick back unless the person you are buying from instore or where ever is sell for a low price

though like the other user said most store will not be happy your doing this and some will ask you to leave if they see it

Ah, ok.

Pardon?
Straight from the gatherer:
>It will trigger “enters the battlefield” abilities and “leaves the battlefield” abilities.

Really? Fair enough, I thought both abilities would just resolve simultaneously, and ordinarily that doesn't make a difference for like Venser, but you wouldn't have time between the resolution of both effects to do anything. And then kind user reminded me mana abilities don't use the stack and it all made sense.

read the card goddamnit

Here's my opening hand. Who's my commander?

Are you okay? There's no need to be a jerk, that user was pretty articulate about his mistake, and reading the card wouldn't help with that.

Do you need a hug? A grouphug?

Wtf? Do American stores really have an issue with players offering cash for cards? Is it because it is supposed to be THEIR turf or what? I've literally never had this happen. Hell some traders even ask for a table to display their stock to sell and the stores are ok with that if no one else is going to play in it, since a bigger combined stock between freelance traders and the store will attract more players

Zakama has to be cast, you double nigger.
And since when do abilities resolve simultaneously? Even if it weren't a mana ability, you can let the first trigger resolve and then respond to the second one. That's basically what the stack is about.

Happy birthday, bronski

>there is a substitute for drugs
How's that wife'n'kids stuff going, pretty good?

Even if mana abilities did use the stack, everyone gets a chance to respond before anything resolves on the stack.

I'll be offering them cash, ideally more than the LGS and about the same of the online price or less. I fear someone would report me to the owner.

I'm not a burger and I don't have a credit card, I only have one you can charge with the money you need.

user made two mistakes, he only owned up to one.

Flip Avacyn?

I can't speak for elsewhere in burgerland but I've not heard of any stores being booty bothered about it in the Pacific Northwest and I've been around a lot.

>if you cast it

>that new retarded wording
Holy shit I'm jostled. Thanks for point that out.

Burgers are the ones that get buttblasted when a motorcycle passes them when there's a line.

Thought about making her, but no.

A go-wide boros commander, no diea which one based on that. If I had a gun to my head I guess maybe Aurelia

The gun worked, it's Aurelia. Good job, user!

The only tip was Sublime Archangel to be honest

And holy shit she's good, especially with multiple attack steps.

What's your most fun deck?

Pretty much it's because of extra attack steps + the fact that aurelia wants to go wide but because only she needs to attack she also works well with exalted

Try putting her at the helm sometime. She's hilarious in 4 player games.

Honestly if there were more melee creatures in RW I'd make her deck. Getting multiple melee triggers is off the fucking charts. But there's so few and they're just draft chaff.

I've wanted to build a meme plant/fungus/elemental/saproling tribal deck (not necessarily monogreen) for quite some time. I used to think Ghave was hands down the best candidate, but the stigma turned out to be real. What are other good options?

Don't need to really have any more. She grants the ability and thats pretty much fine for me.

I played a game the other night where I was able to knock out 2 players by turn 6. I got a god hand, but I was so cash.

If you're just going for theme, he's pretty on the nose. an

Ghave is the best, that's why there's a stigma.

So many easy ways to go infinite. So very many.

We need an enchantment that gives all of your creatures Melee AND Flanking.

>elemental
Horde of Notions is ridiculously good.

Probably . Ghave has a stigma for a good reason. Nemata would work too I guess

Melee isn't great by itself imo. What makes melee absurd is when it's stacked.

I’ll love you forever. It saves me the trouble of picking through your binder for stuff I don’t really want.

I thought about putting her in Aurelia, but she ended up getting cut. Maybe I should just throw her in and try her out.

actually this guy is pretty insane

>playtesting him on xmage, someone swings at me with a big fatty and my zacama would die if he blocked it
>think about the consequences of blocking it
>have to recast it next turn for 11 mana, but get to untap all 14 of my lands
>actually end up gaining mana from casting my commander

how autistic would it be to run white self-bounce effects in this deck?

Well, we are on a Thai cartoon message board after all.

He loves bounce effects. I have Cloudstone Curio and that green bounce carry in my deck. It's hard not to go infinite mana at that point. Which white bounce did you have in mind?

Depends on how big your games are. Mine are regularly 4-5 players, and getting +3/+3 or +4/+4 when you've got 5-6 tokens out is pretty nuts.

But yes, I also run 4-5 ways to get another combat step. Melee is probably the most interesting Boro's "punch face" mechanic in a while.

Temur Sabertooth is the green cat. I couldn't think of the name.

I just can't get behind a commander that gets worse when you're winning.

Tips for making Ally tribal interesting? I'm getting a bit frustrated by how little the cool stuff actually comes into play when even just goldfishing. Also, carddraw tips? I have Sea Gate Loremaster, Distant Melody and Kindred Discovery, but when I don't get those I feel a bit bleh. I can run Sphinx's Rev and like, Urban Evolution, but anything more on theme?

One thing i advise for anyone making any tribal is not to get overly married to the theme. You can still include off theme cards in order to grease the wheels of the deck a bit. Especially for a tribe that's only been included in one or two sets. It doesn't stop being tribal because you included some other stuff. You're going to have more fun with a deck that actually works than with a 100% theme deck that rarely does anything.

This is coming from someone who had scarecrow tribal.

fucking HNNNNGGGGGG
never before have I made a deck that went from, unrefined but fun junk to cancerous nobody gets to play and i win.
Filled it with nothing but ramp and enchantment synergies, every mana doubler that exists and that spell that brings them all back, not even replenish, too expensive, that one that brings all artifacts and enchants back, it'll always resolve and then you blow them all up again.
Win cons to dump all your mana in to, pyrohemia is good, stuffy doll works, better if you can bounce it with temur saburtooth.
Sun birds invocation is like having a second dick.
Creatures like keeper of progenitus and zhur-taar ancient. As well as the anti counterspell ones like gaes hearld and that cat snake asshole.
The dick thing about hm is that in commander, when ever there's a guy winning and they have no answer, they'll be happy to help you get zakama on the table to deal with the board problem and since you were the guy who saved the day they're cool with letting you win

>The dick thing about hm is that in commander, when ever there's a guy winning and they have no answer, they'll be happy to help you get zakama on the table to deal with the board problem and since you were the guy who saved the day they're cool with letting you win

yeah zacama seems like a godly politics commander. but he's also very oppressive, you have to get on that player's good side or just about anything you play gets blown up immediately.

i might build him but he's honestly a lot less fun for my opponents than i thought he would be. i don't intend to build him towards infinite mana bullshit but even without that stuff he's kind of nasty to deal with, especially considering how easy he is to recast.

Throw in some blink stuff to get on those Rally triggers

As a guy who only plays tribal, I support this.

What’s important in a tribal deck is synergy. For instance, in any tribal green deck, grave sifter is worth a look. You make even come up with a new “theme” for your deck.

Happy birthday user

>As a guy who only plays tribal

and just like that a mental image of that dude diving into a pool of liquid shit appears in my head

The wording is both very intentional and not really that unique. There are a handful of cards that already exist with abilities that trigger "When this card enters the battlefield, if you cast it from your hand." The difference is that Zacama is Legendary and printed in a time where EDH is fairly popular so it has to be worded to work when cast from the Command Zone.

Also if it was just on cast then your lands still untap if it gets countered. And of course if it was just on enter it would be crazy juicy with reanimator or flicker effects.

even for standard, it being an ETB that requires a cast is actually pretty smart. this way if the creature somehow turned out mad broken, people can start running essence scatters against it as hate in the sideboard. and then zacama players will have to start committing more to their strategy by playing anti-counter hate also.

>worse
>not simutaenously OHKO'ing every player at once
>ISHYGDDT

Because you’re a massive autist who doesn’t know how to play for fun in a casual format? Lol

tribals aren't fun unless you're sub 140 iq

Lol so you are a massive autist with no sense of fun. I’m guessing you only play Stax or combo?

my decks are all extremely high iq decks that only extremely high iq players like me can pilot. they are melvin/timmy decks for the most part, and they mostly rely on overwhelming value or or the combat step to win, except for my kambal lifegain deck that wins with test of endurance

>I’m guessing you only play Stax or combo
Most people who play stax play a lot of other decks. Some people who play very particular combos only play combo, but no one sets out and goes "Hey, I'm only going to play stax" without first playing something else.

yeah i'm taking the piss out at this point

but i just don't think tribals are very fun. they're very simple and linear to play, restrictive and boring to build and the cards don't have much use outside the specific deck you build out of them. one of my favorite parts things this format is switching cards between my decks to see how they perform, and finding new uses for old cards. tribals are so insular from the rest of the game. you'll never find a use for Lord of the Accursed outside a zombie tribal.

i don't think there's anything wrong about enjoying tribals, i just view them as a newbie archetype (after all, they're easy and intuitive to build and play) and i can't fathom anyone wanting to play nothing but tribals.

I don't disagree with you honestly;
I'm just dropping into the middle of the conversation to be a shit

I think that the newbie tribal is pretty bad, with overt emphasis on tribe only cards, but I think tribal decks that have the tribe in mind, but don't just shovel in anything tribe related are good, the kind where they can win without just combat or have interesting takes on them are good.

there are interesting takes to tribal, sure. building a clone tribal out of brago can be very fun and forces you to even think a little about your turns. but anything that relies on stacking anthems and "your x creatures gain y" are just meh

how bad is saprloing tribal?

r/freemagic is an israeli controlled opposition scheme to protect their loosh farming pizza cult. Reality is a hologram. Buy gold.

There are two types of tribals:
>a deck with cards that are all the same type for autism purposes
and
>a deck that is built with harnessed autism to use the mechanics of a tribe effectively

The example I usually use is zombies. Lord of the Accursed is a zombie, he buffs zombies, that makes a lot of sense. You can run Skeleton Baron, and a couple other zombie lords so that your zombies smash face, maybe a few ways to recur zombies, and you're set. Or, you could build a dimir mill deck that incorporates zombies so you can Undead Alchemist and Geth people. Maybe you throw in a discard package, bloodghast, and set up a combo brew. What you actually do doesn't matter; one is just smashing face with the tribe, the other is a cohesive strategy that uses the tribe.

New players build the first type, it's boring, linear, and as expected. It takes some real talent to build a tribal that actually holds its own.

Unless you're using it for Ghave sacrifice shenanigans, it's awful. Green weenies doesn't work out, better to do mixed selesnya weenies.

I agree. That's what I was talking about unless I was bad at relaying the idea.

Yeah. I’m messing around with some flicker. Most flicker is UW and most of the good allies are W, so it ends up making the deck lean too much white.

Yeah, I put a bunch of the tribal stuff they recently printed. It is very frustrating flipping a Grave Sifter with like Herald’s Horn though.

im working on this dwarf/vehicle but mainly dwarf tribal brew-thing. any suggestions? tappedout.net/mtg-decks/dwarven-alliances/?cb=1519504440
kinda need more cards for it. also i am totally willing to change commander if there is a better one. desu vehicles arent my thing much. dwarves are just my favorite fantasy race.

You've opened my eyes, bruh, much thank

Gee, did you figure it out yourself with your massive brain?