If we have Dryads for forests, Nereids for the seas, and naiads for the rivers/lakes/fresh water bodies...

If we have Dryads for forests, Nereids for the seas, and naiads for the rivers/lakes/fresh water bodies, what is the wind nymph called?

Also, general nymph/fairy/nature spirit thread.
How did they came to be? How do they behave? Why aren't more mortals dating them?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(mythology)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph#Classification
a.pomf.cat/xnbfyi.mp4
youtube.com/watch?v=K84kvDGa668
theoi.com/Nymphe/Aurai.html
theoi.com/greek-mythology/nymphs.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>what is the wind nymph called?

Sylphs

Isn't the Sylph an elemental associated with alchemy, along with Undine, Gnome, and Salamander? Doing a quick research, I found out Paracelsus "invented" them and they are associated with fairies because of ballet.
I don't know what to think

Pretty sure a wind fae would be called a sylph.

Also, prove me wrong that the best faeries are the ones that manage to be scarier to fuck with then the worst demons, orcs, beasts, and eldritch abominations that populate your typical kitchen sink fantasy setting.

If you want OG Greco-Roman, Aurae are breeze nymphs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aura_(mythology)

>first story is about her being raped
Typical.

Especially if you take them metaphorically

Gotta love them Greeks.

Cause they’ll certainly love you whether you want them to or not.

>DFC tomboy aura mocks cowtits artemis' breasts
>artemis arranges for her to be raped by fattest ugliest sonofa god
>she mindbreaks and kills herself

Are doujins a greek invention?

Metaphor? I 'ardly knew 'er!

Man I want a small titty water nymph gf.
Black hair, slim, freckles, blue eyes, maybe a little bit shimmery skin to look more aquatic, pointed ears... yeah that'd be great.

I'd rather have a blue-eyed, red-haired Harvest nymph with boobs the size of melons desu.

Dyonisus was neither ugly nor fat

No, ancient mythology was just anime (and hentai) as fuck.

Epic of Gilgamesh pre-dates them as the first documented yaoi fanfic.

> not realizing Hylas is the only patrician choice in that picture

I want the barbarians to leave

neat

Oreads/Orestiads for the mountain.

Sylphs, or what sylphs have become since their conception, are the closest thing to a wind nymph. There's a minor character in Greek myth who is actually a nymph associated with the wind, but she's an individual rather than a subspecies. References to her in plural are sort of tenuous and in some cases the result of Greeks copypasting images for the purpose of symmetry.

Also lampads are best. Edgy goth nymphs.

>lampads
Did not know these. Thank you user.

Some autist turned the different nymphs into a loose classification on wiki, I would honestly just use that:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph#Classification

The Lampades are pretty great, but I have to compliment the Hesperides and Themeides too. And Melinoe is the ultimate edgy goth nymph.

>Big-tittied yandere goth nymphs

I have a serious dryad fetish and they're another race D&D needs as a player option.

Wow. One can fill a monster manual only with Nymphs.
I had no idea.

Lampads really are the best waifus. When you inevitably die a horrible death, like all mortals in ancient Greek myth, you'd just wake up at her house in the underworld.

For a long time I wanted to try a nymphworld kind of game. But that would be a hard pitch for me offline and online... well, you know the people you'd get.

>implying they aren't "handmaidens" to Hecate in the same sense Artemis has "handmaidens"
>also a reminder that Diomedes of Argos didn't FUCKIN die

>implying they aren't "handmaidens" to Hecate in the same sense Artemis has "handmaidens"
So, they're tsundere virgins who get violated at the first moment the plot calls for it?

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph#Classification

Holy shit, I had no idea there were so many sub-species of Nymph.
I had just been using Dryads and Naiads this whole time, but now it's like a whole new world of Nymphs have unlocked to me.

There's flower nymphs, nymphs for specific trees, underworld nymphs, pasture nymphs, mountain nymphs, salt water nymphs, wetland nymphs, a nymph for practically every environment and occasion.

This means I can put plant-themed bimbos in practically every environment.

>This means I can put plant-themed bimbos in practically every environment.
Living the dream.

What kind of nymphs would have emerged as history progressed?

Does your nuclear power plant have a radiation nymph living in the spent fuel pool, beckoning to the engineers for the them to join her in the glowing blue waters?

Now why do they even have it open like that if you can't swim in it?

There's a process called 'thermal enrichement' where in the EXCEPTION to the rule that warm-waste-water from a nuclear power plant actively benefits the surrounding bodies of water where a nuclear power plant dumps it's hot water into.
This is typically seen in places or areas that see seasonal effects: freezing, etc.. Because the pools now have a consistent, warm, temperature fish grow constantly, quicker, and stay active constantly, algae and all manner of algae and microbial life tend to flourish. (this is an exception though, typically warm water tends to boil and damage ponds).

Manatees have been able to make such a dramatic comeback because they began to rely on these thermal waste water ponds to winter in as well as a number of seasonal native warm-water fish excommunicated by asian carp species who can't function in such a dramatic temperature difference.

Anyway, my point is Nuclear Nymphs dwelling in the hot water ponds outside and adjacent to the nuclear power plant would be pretty interesting.

a.pomf.cat/xnbfyi.mp4
Can you hear the humming?

Well now I have to swim in it.

Resist the Radiation Siren's sweet call, user!

it's surprising how many stories about Artemis revolve around her either making someone else get raped, or killing someone for trying to rape her. It's literally like 75% of them

Adding her into the equation seals the deal even more, I'm afraid.

actually, because water is such an efficient absorber of radiation you could probably swim at the surface and still be fine. as long as you had a way to avoid being shot that is.

t. radiation nymph

>stay at surface
>safe from rads
>bullets are a threat
or
>dive down
>radiation poisoning
>safe from bullets
It's a lose, lose.

I mean, what's the worst that could happen?

Even if the nymph pulls you down into the depths of the pool, you'd drown in her warm, luminous embrace long before the radiation starts to be a problem.

How are these not just generic nature spirits at this point? Is the only difference them being cute girls?

Oh, also, the one on the right in this picture is supposed to be somewhat of an anthousai. A male anthousai.

That's basically what nymphs are in Greek myth. Generic nature spirits that are cute girls.

Would it be weird to just have generic nature spirits, but note that they sometimes choose to manifest as attractive, often unclad humanoids to ease social interaction with mortals?

Worth it.

youtube.com/watch?v=K84kvDGa668

I think winds were male

>Pretty sure a wind fae would be called a sylph.
yupper

Chestlets need to know their place

or Oreads

But oreads are mountain nymphs, aren't they?

Wymphs

You're right. I meant Auraeds.

theoi.com/Nymphe/Aurai.html

As others said. And yes, a whole bunch of mortals marry them.

theoi.com/greek-mythology/nymphs.html

Interestingly, Aurai are cool breezes

He's kinda the only relatively passable male greek god tough.

See the links above, that autist was probably doing that before the time of Plutarch (tough those are loose and overlapping classifications)

Note that the anthousai had hyacinth-colored hair. So, yes, the greeks had anime hair waifus before Japan finished his neolithic transition.

We truly stand on the shoulders of giants.

>nymphs

>not of nature (which is the reason we moderns probably love them even more than the ancients)

This is the most heretic thing I honestly read here this year. Bravo.

They had a living/rebirth quality to them. You couldn't probably had a... I dunno, sand/desert nymph. Tough they had star nymphs, so I guess it's not an hard and fast rule.

Have some unapologetic victorian fanservice in the meantime (I seriously wonder how they talked about shit like that in private, but that's another story).

That is Paracelsus "reinvention", tough I think he basically decided he was fed up with elemental spirits not having a name when they were of element X.

Interestingly it does seem is stems from nympha silvestris. And I didn't even know it, but it works nicely with what I have in mind for the reworking of the fantasy races (basing them on the chinese elements).