Dota Tabletop

Hey Veeky Forums, I play a lot of Dota and after playing siltbreaker I became interested in the idea of using the setting for a tabletop campaign.
Has anyone here ever tried this, know of any existing systems for it, or have any suggestions for systems that would work with Dota's str/dex/int system.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bmu0OSlVC18
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Either make a homebrew adaptation of a d20 system or make your own, I'm a huge fan of adapted settings but you're not going to find any precedent here.

I figured I'd have to do some homebrewing, but I was hoping for something I could start with that's a little closer than D20.
I feel like D20 would have to be broken down almost completely to work.

Unironically 4e. You'd need to do a fair amount of homebrewing but the basic formula is practically designed to create a turn-based version of the DotA gameplay.

I'm not one to shill it, but you could always try GURPS. There's a supplement for everything so you'll probably be able to find enough to mimic most characters.

I think the most helpful thing would be to start with a system that already lets your dex determine how many actions you have per round, or at least already has a system for having multiple actions per round.
Does GURPS allow that?

While I think your latter comment is bollocks, 4e would be a good fit for capturing the basic ideas.

Honestly I don't think you'd need to do much homebrew, just perhaps some refluffing or creative multiclassing to make the powersets you want.

Sounds like you would enjoy Divinity Original Sin. I've never played GURPS so I'm not actually sure, I just know that it and Fate are usually the two systems people mention when somebody doesn't know what system to use.

Important clarification-

4e does not work like DotA. However, looking for direct analogues when adapting something is a bad idea. Different media have different traits that can often make a direct translation an awful clusterfuck.

If you want to try and model the granular detail of DotA, best of luck to you, that sounds like an awful clusterfuck.

If you want to play a fantasy RPG about a group of heroes with badass abilities and items kicking ass through cooperation, capturing a lot of the same themes and feel despite working very differently, I'd use 4e.

>a fantasy RPG about a group of heroes with badass abilities and items kicking ass through cooperation
That's 90% of RPGs.

In a broad sense, yes. However, 4e is distinct in giving every character class awesome abilities, having a huge variety of magic items that are actually properly balanced by level and extremely emphasising teamwork as a core component of the mechanics, more than any other RPG I've ever played.

>a huge variety of magic items
Well I'd be replacing them with Dota items anyway.

4e, Strike!(never actually played it, but apparently it's 4e lite), FATE or unironically GURPS

Well, it's more that the magic item variety gives you a lot of examples you can use to replicate those effects, or just straight up copy them.

Or rename them. Since 4E items have more volume and variety than do dota items.

I never claimed it was a direct analogue, but it's as close as you're going to get without building from scratch.

People often claim that 4e is like an MMO, and that's because it basically is, but that's not exactly a bad thing because that's what OP wants out of it.

Dota Tabletop! This is going to be absurd.

But it isn't an MMO. There's literally no argument for it being so beyond the most broad, vague and surface level bullshit.

It clearly draws a lot of mechanical inspiration from the WoW-esque MMORPG model.

If you can't see the similarities then that makes you an idiot, but do note that I never said that this makes 4e a bad game, because it really doesn't.

I don't see it, and I don't believe it's there. I've never seen a good argument as to its MMO inspiration which isn't better explained as elements taken from other tabletop RPG's or boardgames. '4e=WoW' is a stupid myth with no substance.

I'd need to be something pretty open ended o allow players to make their own abilities so they're not just playing copy pasted heroes from the game.

>extremely emphasising teamwork as a core component of the mechanics,
>more than any other RPG I've ever played.

... play more rpgs then. Like. Any...

That said over-all I am also on board with 4e's capturing the Dota flavor best.

I feel like adding multiple actions per round would break most d20 system horribly.

Point me to an RPG which supports teamwork in combat like 4e does. I've played a lot of games, and while party coordination is often rewarded and generally a good idea, 4e is the only game that is built from the ground up around the idea. The roles are literally baked in and you cannot build a self-sufficient character.

I would try that but how am I going to find a Peruvian AND an esl Russian locally?

>feedar
>я yбью тeбя, cyкa
>team ratas, report

3.x?
even 5th?
That's just DnD

FATE may be a bit of a joke system, but 4/5th of your character sheet are dedicated teamwork bonuses.

It really isn't. 3.5 and 5e both support building self sufficient characters and don't incentivise or reward teamwork nearly as much as 4e does.

Cooperating is usually a good idea in RPG's. Not many are purely built around it in the way is, giving every character a distinct role and forcing you to work together to even function within the system. In FATE, basically anyone can do anything with enough refluffing, it's not the same at all.

cyka

>DotA
miss me with that gay shit
>Legends of DotA
>Warlocks
>Hungry Hungry Felhounds
>Uther Party
now that's the stuff

Make sure you really capture the true essence of the game.

youtube.com/watch?v=bmu0OSlVC18

Mid or I feed.

What is the difference between Legends of DOTA and DOTA

I don'¨t know who, but somebody on the DOTA2 design team is a massive footfag.