Traditional Games Based on Football/Soccer/Other Sports

So aside from Blood Bowl, which I've never played, how have developers adapted other games? Like, Blood Bowl is based off of American Football whose rules lend themselves very well to a Veeky Forums board game. But how have they handled Soccer which is real-time, or Polo, etc? Are there even any that aren't just straight-up trading card games?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1038/sports
manticblog.com/2016/08/02/dreadball-teams-spotters-guide/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also, we are live on Smashcast and about to be relegated back to the babbies.

Guild Ball and DreadBall

I remember hearing about Guild Ball a few years back, when Blood Bowl II was still new. I know Guild Ball is basically soccer/football, but does it have simultaneous resolution mechanics or are you still taking turns in actions and resolving them? And is it still supported with new releases?

What is Dreadball?

Stat me and end my pain, Veeky Forums!

Technically speaking, race games like Parcheesi are the descendants of ancient games based around sports like chariot racing and running. Modern "sports" are less transferable to the board game format because their rules have grown in complexity, though I think games based on ancient games, like polo, still provide a fertile ground.

>Relegated
We live, we die, we live again!

But american football has shit load of rules.

Right, but the game itself is turn-based. Teams take breaks after every action to plan the next turn, decide on their formations, and then run them simultaneously. And people like that about it.

Whereas with soccer the appeal is different. Things happen all at once, players are all acting semi-independently, and the game barely pauses.

gg nerd

Well, that was a ride.

We still have some space to go, and one more match, but /k/ is looking good.

Here's the 'Nam match. 'Ere we go lads.

Soccer is a much more smooth game, like rugby.

There is "Questo Gioco del C... alcio." It's mostly team management, though, all football games are determined by a single dice roll.

>Soccer happens in real time(futbol btw. I'm American and even I'm not so uncultured. )
>And I assume American "football" doesn't then?

You're a fucking idiot

But that's not true. Football isn't "real-time" because decisions aren't made in real-time. Otherwise chess would be "real-time,"

Go /k/! Yay!

Someone doesn't know the definition of real time huh? How many pauses have you made on your magical you remote? Do I need to get SCP down here?

Fuck off idiot futbol and football are exactly the same in practice. Execution is where they differ. You need strategy andplanning in futbol just as bad as in hairy overweight black man rugby... I mean football

Crash Tackle is a very good rugby TG.
Easily as good as Blood Bowl.

I know of, but have not played, a variety of sport games.

BGG lists some 400+ sports games.
boardgamegeek.com/boardgamecategory/1038/sports

>Soccer is a much more smooth game, like rugby.
Right, that's why I'm wondering how well it translates to tabletop.

I'd imagine in a more free-flowing card game it would do fairly well honestly, but I'm not so sure it would do well as a straight up tabletop game.

Is there a Rollerball Murder game and if not why not.

We were real lucky to get through. Here's hoping we pull ourself together for the knockouts.

Not him, but Dreadball is a sci-fi flavoured game by Mantic. I actually prefer it to Bloodbowl.

It uses a significantly smaller pitch and fewer players per side, playing more like Basketball than football. It also has no resets- When you score a strike, the ball immediately comes back into play, so positioning your small squad for continued defence is important, even when you're making an offensive play.

The rules are pretty simple to understand and less annoying than Bloodbowl's 'fail one roll, lose your turn' and there's a good amount of team variety, along with some extra stuff like the Xtreme league teams, ultra-violent illegal matches, or the ridiculous huge extra map you can get for matches with up to six different teams playing simultaneously.

manticblog.com/2016/08/02/dreadball-teams-spotters-guide/

A link to a list of all the teams

I could see the ball being a counter that you move to a card or piece on the table to activate it - I don't know how you'd contest it and go for goals, dice (dice pool) rolls maybe?

Maybe have all the player cards have basic shit that they can do, and there be a deck of basically "special moves" that you play to do better stuff - something that's riskier might give your opponent an extra dice to contest it.
To represent the pace of the game, as soon as you spend a card you draw another - go too fast and you'd be left only doing basic stuff by the end and much less likely to counter anything fancy - some cards for being aggressive might force you or your opponent to draw more.
Not sure how the time constraint would best be represented

I've seen some sports card games, like Slapshot. They feel more like trick-taking games or they're really simplified versions of MTG. I'm not sure if that really translates something like soccer/futtbol well.

I remember seeing a weird real time sports cardgame, Fightball or something, where you could play as fast as you could physically set cards down, but there were strict rules about going through your deck to find cards, so it became a matter of having a strategy, remembering where cards were in your deck and going in the right direction. IIRC the rules was that you started with your whole deck facedown in one hand, and could only take cards off it one by one with the other, and you could only play the topmost card in the stack that was face up.

>/pol/ vs Veeky Forums
Oh no.

But it's Mantic. What's the support like? Is it still being updated?

There was a Kickstarter with some new teams along with second edition rules pretty recently, you can see the list for just how damn many there are. They'll probably keep doing it, as it seems to sell well for them, but honestly the game felt complete a while ago, anything extra is just gravy at this point.