Daily reminder that reliable artillery, not hand cannons, won medieval wars...

Daily reminder that reliable artillery, not hand cannons, won medieval wars, and that if your games don't use them then they're not realistic. Also general siege thread.

>if your games don't use them then they're not realistic
I'm fine with it, I play them as a distraction from the realistic.

>medieval wars
>implying a competent and well trained cavalry wasn't absolutely fucking essential
>inb4 using the 2-3 examples of cavalry failing is posted as a retort

Hello autists

Sources please.

An onager style catapult being used as a medieval siege weapon and destroying stone walls is unrealistic.

Like that ballista, it was a Roman era type of field artillery meant for firing into dense infantry formations, and largely fell out of favor during the medieval era.

Byzantine siege weapons best siege weapons

>War winning
>Not supply lines or foraging

Hahahahaha

Beautiful.

>Siege thread

o shit waddup

>if your games don't use them then they're not realistic
Should I be concerned about this.

Perty pls go and stay go

i think i got placed too high in ranked the first time after i was done with my placement matches, i ended up getting stomped or was carried every single match, until i could no longer handle being by far the worst player on the team and uninstalled

If Greek fire was real, how come nobody can replicate it?
Checkmate, atheists!

bump

I dunno how much time you gave it, but the game really should restrict ranked to level 50+ accounts. Especially with how many characters and maps there are and now that the game is popular how much better the community is, letting level 20s into ranked is just fucked for everyone. I was a barely sub diamond player in the first season before any DLC, by Year 1 Season 3 I stuggled to get into high gold.

Post that claim in /hwg/, user, and prepare to have your ignorant trolling ass handed to you.

Among other things, the medieval period ranged from 5th to 15th Century, so the type of sweeping generalizations you're attempting to troll with just can't be supported.

>be knight with incredibly expensive decked out plate armor
>get thrown off your horse and mashed to death by a bunch of peasants with literally a stick with some metal on top
LaughingGoedendagMilitia.gif

dafuq are you doing on Veeky Forums if reality is good enough for you

Daily reminder that 3 year log sieges without a single actual battle won medieval wars, not artillery, and if your games don't involve sitting around doing nothing for multiple years, then they're not realistic. Also general siege thread.

It's the whole "venerable Space Marine veteran vs. a horde of screaming green retards that were literally born yesterday" debate all over again.

Which DoW is this from?

This actually always bothers me in games. I wrestle with just how much realism a game can take. I do tend to lean more towards realism which can end up shocking players used to things like Castle Walls falling apart overnight or soldiers that actually won't fight to the death

One (the best one)
I still love it despite its flaws, I would recommend not playing Soulstorm and sticking with Dark Crusade if you want to avoid terribly broken balancing (Space Marines just STEEL REHNing into your base by sending a single scout aircraft), unless you just really want to play Bolterbitches or Dark Eldar, which are admittedly both enjoyable.

No one wants realistic combat.

Realistic combat is sitting around doing nothing for months and months, then for about an hour, watching and doing the most horrible shit imaginable, then catching an injury and going home or dying. Or, you get lucky and survive, and then you get to do nothing for several weeks before everything goes batshit again for an hour.

if history taught us anything, it's that big enough horde of retards (of any color) can ruin anything and anyone

No shit huh? Its almost like I might have considered that and pointed out that I have to reel in my urge to be realistic and that even my more simple realistic additions to a game still shocked people

I misread you saying "how much realism I can take" with "how much realism I can have"

I was trying to show you didn't want realism as much as you thought you did, but I read your post wrong.

>siege
Bitterness intensifies

>smoking cigarette from filter
sensible chuckle

I wish I had friends to play AoE2 with.

Soulstorm is plenty fun, even vanilla. Plus there are balancing mods. Also most faction mods are made for Soulstorm.

Ah

Stuff happens friend

I read SS is much better modded?

Cutest artillery.