What would you pick as a system for a Mount & Blade style campaign?

What would you pick as a system for a Mount & Blade style campaign?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3zPV5-BN4Nw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Warhammer.

We all just eat roasted chickens covered in butter.
No dice, no minis or anything else

what aspects of Mount and Blade do you want to emulate in a tabletop RPG?

kek

The feudal-sandbox aspect of it, I guess. A land ripe with opportunities to just do whatever you want, meddle with nobles and their politics, deal in profitable trading, become a mercenary of great renown, that kind of thing.

Pendragon has specific rules to manage a domain. I assume it would be the perfect game for a Mount & Blade sandbox setting.

Riddle of Steel.

Barring that use the Chronicle System from Green Ronin's aSoIaF RPG

What about generating and running multiple fiefs? I'd like a system that deals with those kinds of interactions in some way, so the setting feels organic and players can decide where to go and what to do based on what is going on in the world instead of "artificial" adventure seeds.

I don't have enough experience with the game to answer you. I assume it's going to be possible. It mainly will depend on what the DM allows and how he intends to run the game.

ACKS, or the Adventurer Conqueror King System. Take Basic D&D, and then throw in a fuckton of Kingdom Sandbox autism into it. In fact, it's a class ability that you get followers and a piece of property, whether it's a Wizard's Sanctum/Dungeon for the Magic-user, or a Fortress for the Fighter, or a Fortified Church for the Cleric.
It's some good Shit. Check out /OSRG/ to learn more.

Mythras/Brpg
Pendragon

HarnMaster. It's a bit dated and honestly kind of complicated, but it has everything you're looking for and much, much, much, seriously SO much, more.

None of these are intrinsic rules properties, but instead are content you insert into a campaign. Your ruleset will matter relatively less compared to the actual content you populate your campaign with.

What you need are sourcebooks and resources to help you generate/referee a campaign setting, and this depends on how abstract you want to go and how much work you want to do.

That being said, some suggestions:
-Adventurer Conqueror King System (full ruleset that focuses on the domain endgame of B/X D&D)
-An Echo Resounding (supplement for Labryinth Lord or B/X D&D, more abstract than ACKS)
-Birthright (for AD&D 2e; setting based around domains granting magical bloodlines)
-Border Princes (supplement for WFRP focused on generating a borderlands sandbox region)
-Green Ronin Game of Thrones (based more on sociopolitical interactions)
-Apocalypse World (for more abstract "story-game" methods of handling threats and other factions)

A lot of what you're aiming at is also more in the realm of wargame territory, so there's another set of sources you could check out.

>no mention of HarnManor
Pleb.

Shit.

I downloaded ACKS to look at as I'd like a game with domain rules, but I didn't know it was an OSR, what a shame.

Does Mythras/BRPG cover domain rules?

Pendragon I may have to check out I guess.

Pendragon is your answer mate.

What's your beef with OSR?

Thanks, guys! I guess I got a lot of reading ahead of me now.

The ASOIAF RPG.

It's all about medieval combat and managing your fiefdom/empire/whatever.

I don't like it. I certainly played a lot decades ago when that was most of what people played but I just do not care for it. There are many systems available, why people cling to that one I don't understand at all.

I think Burning Wheel might be nice as it's designed to do low-fantasy to Tolkien level medieval roleplay. It's crunch af but the preface basically says "homebrew it for your needs" I've found it to be pretty robust and engaging, though I just made a cut down and simplified version of it for my current players. ASOIAF also looks pretty good for M&B intrigue stuff but I don't have much experience with it. Riddle of Steel is great for combat and whatnot, but again I'm not as experienced with it. Am honestly trying to get players slowly adapted to low-fantasy because I despise most forms of magic in gameplay and just wanna see some medieval roleplay where people use their wits and skills they have on their own to solve problems.

Any suggestions for a system that gives lots of options and distinction for martial combat? I'd love a system where sword and board, polearms, mace and flails, etc. felt really distinct.

Song of Swords, I'd suggest.

Check out GURPS with the Martial Arts and Low Tech books.

Wrapping back to the OP, Is there a GURPS for running domains?

It's sport of related, kinda, but what does Veeky Forums think about Prophesy of Pendor, is it a good setting?

youtube.com/watch?v=3zPV5-BN4Nw

...huh, didn't know he talked about it

bump

To an extent, yeah. Boardroom and Curia, probably with some of the low tech companion books. Its a little abstract but works well enough. You don't really need fiddly rules for this sort of thing