Your assault on the enemy's capital drags on through the night but the city will fall soon

>your assault on the enemy's capital drags on through the night but the city will fall soon
>at dawn your scouts report a large force of cavalry approaching from the north

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ctnK7wdJmAo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I regroup my units: spears front, archers behind

With haste I order my monstrous Cavalry auxillaries to flank the enemy

I wonder how I didn't knew about a massive hostile force and the possibility of it attacking me in the first place before i went to war. If I did my job as a commander right, our camp will be moderately well fortified agaisnt cavalry with spiked trenches or at least spike barricades around it. I'll assign my with spears to said barricades in hopes that the combination of spears and stationary defenses will break their charge. But instead of commiting all my men to fight the new force, i'd leave a tenth of my forces towards the city to counter any enemy sailing forth to try and press me between 2 forces.

>some 100 columns, 20-25 lines
>large force
Pick one.

>2500 elite horsemen
>small

you dun fucked up, senpai

Belisar once said something like: "Give me 500 heavy riders and the help of god and I will defeat any enemy." Probably more eloquently. Considering the tech level, it would work here as well.

>my camp
What camp? Didn't see one

I've played enough CK2 to know how to waste (Mongolian) forces ten time this size. They have one thing going for them - movability. So let them come at you, at a place of your choosing, where all of this won't matter one bit.

If i'm sieging without a camp I deserve whatever bad fate awaits me when the cavalry horde arrives.

We're essentially flanked by an unexpected third party, standard protocol would be to retreat.

Just gotta kill this one man(female) first then we'll head off to regroup.

>mfw camping the Bloody Gate in the Seven Kingdoms mod
I can‘t hold all these multipliers

6000 acthually

I have all scouts deployed to the north reassigned to an eternity of latrine duty. After that I march the infantry to block the enemy advance because horses can't actually do much against tight infantry ranks. I will have engineers throw up barricades and station all spare archers there, then pull the infantry back among them. My own cavalry - such as it is - will match enemy maneuvers, buying me time to finish fortifying my position, and then it's just a waiting game until I take the city and its defenses for my own. Then I can sit inside and watch them starve. It's not like I'll be attacked by magical ghosts or something.

youtube.com/watch?v=ctnK7wdJmAo

>The enemy sallies and attacks your army from the rear
I prepare defenses along the outside of my encirclement to complement the defenses I presumably set up along the inside of my encirclement. Let the enemy attack if they want, we will butcher them. If they wait then I am fairly certain the enemy capital will break before we do.

>Form a spearwall with Uruk-hai
>Just before the horses reach them, goblins with katana's jump over their shoulders to stab the Rohirrim
>They are now stuck between angry horses before them and pointy pikes behind them but somehow win the day
Maybe their leader can also do something "cool" yet horribly inefficient, like Legolas' shield surfing. Maybe something like, IDK, throwing his helmet at an enemy so it knocks him out but conveniently the helmet flies in a perfect arc and lands back on the orc leader's head. The helmet should be broken at some point though, because main characters rarely wear helmets.

They are attacking the forces that are between the city and your camp. Just a matter of terrible timing for you and great for them.

Put the strongest units on the flanks, weakest and thinnest in the middle, attempt to draw them in to surround the fresh troops. They need to be beaten down before we refocus on crushing the fort, it will give the besieged troops inside a break but they're nearl defeated already.

The cavalry only stands a chance if they maintain their momentum and can stay mobile.

>I wonder how I didn't knew about a massive hostile force and the possibility of it attacking me in the first place before i went to war.
Bigass forced marches are an occasional thing in warfare.
They suck ass for all involved, but it means moving far faster than the troops have any right to (in modern times this can involve taking amphetamines, and then you get some ridiculous movement)

Send out "scout" and messenger parties to call for aid, some of which are actually intending to draw the enemy cavalry away - if they get help, great, if they draw the enemy away, great.

Prepare my forces to receive the cavalry, unless I reckon the city would fall to an all-out attack in a way that won't immediately fall to a second attack - if they break us, the siege is over anyway, so giving them a day while I deal with the cavalry is no biggie as long as I keep up some minor patrols. If I'm certain I can take the city in one swoop do so and be protected against the onrushing horde, but that seems unlikely honestly.

Calling it an assault, rather than a siege, implies that most of my troops are already in the city, fighting in the streets. Since cavalry are at their strongest in open fields, the prudent move would be to move camp to more defensible terrain, namely the city itself. Have some soldiers improvise whatever defenses they can to slow down the horsemen while moving as many supplies as we can into the city. The other option would be to retreat, but that seems like a bad choice since it would not only be a massive blow to morale but also the cavalry could easily run us down.

>(in modern times this can involve taking amphetamines, and then you get some ridiculous movement)

Joke's on them, I had the intervening fields sewn with Gympie Gympie and stationed druids on standby for just such a charge.
Nobody's getting through that field.

>like Legolas' shield surfing.
We don't talk about that.

You have special Spinning Goblin Launchers, and Warg mounteds Uruk-Hais, Leader Orc who has magical stave which bursts with black light each time it impacts on a "good" guys armor.

If we're talking about the book's numbers, the besiegers had three times as many Haradrim cavalry. No matter how shitty those are, the numbers advantage is enough to delay the opponents until the city falls or nighttime makes it impossible to use cavalry in the first place, via skirmishing and harassing tactics.

Tell my army to stand back. I'll deal with the enemy myself so no man will have to leave a widow on this day.
'cept for the enemy I guess

I ask myself "Are we the baddies?"

Who is this semen demon?

that's basically exactly what happened at the siege of vienna, the poles arrived with their heavy cavalry just as the city was making its last stand and decided the entire battle even though the ottomans had a massive advantage in numbers

I withdraw. They merely buy time, they know that this war is lost, even if they should win the battle.

>2500 cavalry
>Not a large force

A character from Killing Bites

>t. Ramsey Bolton

You did know about it before you went to war, which is why you sent about 10,000 troops to build a field fortification on the road between their capital and the one you're besieging. Unbeknownst to you, they found a way to slip around your blockading force.

What is Killing Bites? I know what it isn't, but not what it is.

What about his brick leaping and elephant jumping?

And I've played enough Total war to know that a solid heavy cavalry unit, if properly used, can demolish any infantry unit, even if outnumbered 20-1.

>What is Killing Bites?

Remember that old fighting game on the playstation, Bloody Roar? It's kind of like that, except with musclegirl badgers and dual-wielding snake penises.

>Total War
>heavy cavalry
*blocks your path*
*literally squares the fuck up*
What now, royalist?

>Med II fag

Ah jeez, that's why we don't take shady jobs that lead us to fringe world's.
Always gotta engineer done "accidents" with native sentients or dead with people who don't even understand the contract they signed and then get all angry and bring out the pitchforks.
Guess we will just glass 'em, bummer.

The RTS portion of the game peaked at Med 2. Nothing since has even gotten close to recreating the feeling of impact that game had. The Overworld has definitely gotten more streamlined (in a good way), but without great battles it's just not the same.

Attila was fun tho.

I use a half stack of mounted archers in loose formation to skirmish the fuck out of you. They'll waste your ammo pretty well, and get a good amount of kills doing it.

Then I tell my other half stack of heavy cavalry to all simultaneously charge the same side of the square. Sure the bayonets will kill a few, but 800 heavy knights in the middle of a battle square? With the first side of the square already routing? You run out of morale in a few seconds and I leisurely run down the rest. .

No fooling this is actually how I beat a friend's full stack pike/shot square in the Beginning of the End Times mod

I ride out with my retainers and hail King Henselt, nagging him for being late to the party as always - but he did not need to worry, I'll still let him pick his noblewomen first. I owe it to him after that one time in Alashiya.

Well, shit.

Alright, this is going to get dicey. I wanted to soften them up a bit first, but here goes.

Get ready to follow me into the capital. I'm going to kick open the front gates and we are going to have ourselves a nice set of walls to spit down on those horsefuckers from by the time they get here.

Yes, I know the gate is barred and barricaded. That won't be an issue. Just stay close behind me and be ready to fill the gap I make in their defenses. If you get in front of me, I can't promise you won't get hit by the debris.

Kemeno Enemies.

The besiegers have about three times as many cavalry as you though, those are the guys you need to worry about - not the infantry. They are light cavalry too (Haradrim), which means they are faster and more mobile, so you can't just ignore them.

Basically, Theoden and his merry men were fucked either way, more so in the film than in the books, until Aragorn with his army of darkness showed up.