Ratfolk thread: Celtic rats edition

Thread for all things ratfolk.
Mainly discussion on original ideas or existing rats such as Skaven.
Feel free to contribute lore or OC such as write or drawfaggotry.

Thread prompt: How would you put Celtic ratfolk mercenaries into your campaign

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/jVJSw91P
pastebin.com/06FDpYFP
pastebin.com/mA9Zypcb
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_hero_cult
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

ratscum

rats cum

Come on Veeky Forums get out of the closet

Whats with all this love with vermin? If i had even 1 ratscum fag in my party, i would call fucking pest control in a heartbeat.

Seems easy enough. Head to the setting's equivalent of Wales, tell them there's people that need killing, give them gold, maybe some decent metal weaponry, and promise them they can keep what they strip from the corpses.

How is Mouse Guard as a system? The comic looks pretty rad.

What are some important ratfolk throughout history?
Get creative!

But I like Fionnuala.
She's cute and looks like she can skirmish enemies effectively.

Would you let her join your party?

Guy who come up with celthic theme and all other stuff here. She looks amazing. Great job, user.

One of my favorite characters of all time was a cleric rat named Arytom.
DM was nice enough to give me rat like abiltys to enhance maximum rat

Oh, hey!
Good choice on that theme too.
I'm Thatcher, if you want to know.

>Celtic rats edition
you could have just said Celts.

Awesome job man

Last thread, user said that the "Celtic" ratfolk are enemies to their small rivals that is the goblins.

I was thinking maybe that goblins are more into metallurgy while the CR's are more into druidic practices.

Although there were also different types of orcs as well (mountain orcs, steppe orcs, coastal orcs, forest orcs, frost orcs, etc.) depending on where their clans usually reside—resulting between many orc-orc wars of course— so those may be their enemies as well.

The Ovinid/Sheepfolk, I don't know where they would fit into all this

But my question is, I find it odd that nobody has even requested a human yet.
Thanks.

What do you think humans would be then?

Just typical humans in any fantasy setting I suppose.
Although they may be remarked for their fickle alliances with other races from time to time.

She looks really good user. This could be an illustration in a children's book. Is that ink?

That's not much of a baseline. Make them 13th-century Italians, with the not!Guelphs and not!Ghibellines fighting and politicking in the city-states over whether the Pope or the Emperor is the higher authority.

What sort of abilities, user?

It's digital.
And yeah, it does look like she's from a race where intrepid heroes of legend are plenty.

Are you, dare I say it, requesting a human to be added to the list?

How's the hell treating you?

I was just throwing out some random stuff to help define humans better, but sure!

Two identical pixies of flying type (twins) aprox. 1ft tall, wearing simple improvised clothes.
They have heavy crossbow with cranks on the side so they can pull it, hanging under hovering balloon (think small Zeppelin-style airship), together with a sack of bolts.
Each caries one bolt over their back (to use as a stabbing weapon if needed).
Optional magic sparkles around their wing them.

If I were to take a guess on whom you are referring to it would be the PM, correct?

The describe him/her!

Hmmm...anything else you want to put in them?

>Hmmm...anything else you want to put in them?
Mean face painted on front of the "airship"

Alright. How about a tall, thin man with a large surcoat (with an ugly bird-lizard-thing with two small fleur-de-lis above as a coat of arms) over a suit of mail, with a skull cap and coif with a small opening (through which only a hooked nose, a pronounced mustache, and wide, alarmed-looking eyes are visible), and a flanged mace held in both hands?

I may not be able to do these requests right at this moment since I got stuff to do.
Sorry.

Ah, no worries. Frankly, your making the OP pic was a treat in of itself.

The hell kind of mods are you playing with, user?

clearly the good ones

Rats!
But with *guns*

They do tend to crop up here and there, likely due to the "tinker" characterization they get in certain settings. Probably an extension of the "lab rat" thing-they're more likely to get experimental with their means of warfare.

Why does Kerillian hate packmasters so much?

If you're small, scrappy, and maybe even scrawny a world of myth and magic will punk you.
Now if you're the ones with all the firepower...
Thinks tend to start looking up.

I'm partial to the Skritt in Guild Wars 2 myself. I love the crowd intelligence thing they have going on, and the fact that they're used as both enemies and allies in different situations.

My guess is because they're ones who drag lone party members off into the darkness-probably something she's not keen on letting happen to her.

Because she see's this hunk of rat, all muscle and sinew, with it's dominating hook and clever, shining eyes and is reminded of the lockers she got shoved into by High-Elf sorority girls

Kerillian secretly likes getting dragged off by packmasters?

Makes sense.

Oh Yeah

No pressure, I'll be happy if it gets done in ever.

What's their deal again? They emit hypersonic frequencies that, when mixed together, cause them to get smarter-much, much smarter if there's a lot of them?

That sounds a lot like Cranium Rats.

From the screenshots I've seen, one of them explained that they just speak faster than most people can follow and when there's a lot of them it allows them to exchange great amounts of information quickly and collectively get more intelligent. I'm not sure how that would account for their instantly becoming well-spoken when their numbers increase, but oh well.

They're parallel processing. All of the scrit present parse the information available and put together an appropriate response and provide it to the designated speaker. If there's just one, they start stuttering and choking because they're in processor overload.

So they have their own understanding of causality? Interesting.

>Portion of text cut off
One job user. One job.

That's the point you silly goose!

Needs more rat/human relations.

i would OP's rat tho
small hairy rat pussy

What, the idea of a small, loving rat wrapping her legs around you as you thrust into her, feeling her shuddering against you and gasping into your ear as you make her feel good and oh so happy that she can be with you this way too lewd for you?

i want to use her cloak as my personal cumrag

Have a shitty unfinished drawing of a character I've been thinking about for far too long. Figured if I never get good enough to draw her or write about her I can at least post it so that her existence isn't tied and limited to my mind.

Luckily for you furries have exceedingly low standards. Get drawing, get writing and don't let quality stop you.

Speaking of druidic practices. What if this ratfolks will have massive knowledge about herbology? Their druids, witches and midwifes are master in making various decoctions and balsams. Cures for all types of diseases and symptoms, potions to strengthen the body and clear the mind, various aphrodisiacs and drugs, and of course posions. The last one give birth to stereotype of rat-poisoner, even tho it's only a small part of their craft and they mostly use poison in a fight against greater foe. It is cosidered very dishonorable to use poison against other rat, even in the heat of battle.
To futher give this stereotype a reason I have been thinking about some legend. Long time ago some great rat warcheft tried to conquered the legendary unconquered city. In order so he poison the water suppiles, in result killing almost all residents. This plan is considered as great act by many, but many more, including fellow rats, see this as a plain massacre and the birth of the rat-poisoner stereotype.

Isn't the stereotype more plague spreading than poison? On accounts of all the plague spreading actual rats do. Although deception is also something considered rat-like and I suppose that does go hand in hand with the crafty poisoner stereotype.

The stereotype is based more plague than poison, but it's kind of an interesting reversal on the concept of rat poison. Plus, herbology and how it relates to ancient societies' beliefs and practices is fun to consider.

Certainly. Of course, that highly depends on the nature of both societies. Does one have something the other wants? Do the beliefs of one demonize the other? Is there someone that they both hate enough that they can establish a shared friendship based on their shared enmity?

Fun fact about Pathfinder ratfolk: they largely run caravans in the near and around the India analogue, but they know that a lot of humanoids find them kind of gross or creepy-looking, so they tend to dress very conservatively when abroad so as to avoid putting off potential customers.

would you so far as to say they have their very own magic potion?

made a sloppy edit so he's more ratty

>ratfolk
>not Semites

What are the Noblerat families like?

Prone to unique patterns in their fur, the result of careful breeding-this results in the so-called "Fancy Rats".

Aristorats?

y-yeah

You know it.
The Archduke of Rattenburg knows his family has the most *luxurious* fur.

I haven't played the rpg myself but have heard only good things from some friends

also look what i found:
pastebin.com/jVJSw91P

Certainly. It helps to distinguish them from the dull, unkempt ranks of common gutter rats. Of course, nobility being what it is, lowborn pups with aristoratic influence in their appearance aren't unheard of.

Neat, will definitely give it a look, thank you.

I must agree. Plauge and diseases are definitely more popular attributes for rats than poison. Tho poison is also very often associate with them.
Honesty I don't see the plauge rats streotype to fit in this world. With poison rats you can make the streotype at least partial true, but plauge rats just don't fit whathoever with the concept of the race. This stereotype has to based only on lies and misconceptions, and that's just a weak stereotype to put in your world imo. If you want to put in the world plauge rat stereotype I see a couple ways. You can change the legend of warchef I spoke of, so he instead use a dead cattles to contaminate the water and bring plauge to the city.
Maybe there was a plauge and they didn't suffer too much because they quickly find out the cure thanks to their extensive knowledge about herbology. And the rest of races seeing that they are the one who aren't affected thought that they are behind the whole plauge.
Or maybe it's just beccause of disrespectful neighbors. Like in real life Romans saw Celts as dirty barbarians, that in this world the "more advance" nation (perhaps those goblins) could see ratfolks as dirty barbarians that bring plauge.
But like I said, I don't like the association of ratfolks and plauge in this setting, just doesn't fit well and that why I went with poison.

That actually could be a nice bit of lore. A legendary isolated ratfolks village fighting with hordes of giant cat like demons with a help of super strength potion. Recipe for this potion was lost long time ago, maybe even never existed, but a band of adventurers could seek a quest to find it.

>I can at least post it so that her existence isn't tied and limited to my mind.

are you trying to make a tulpa? cause that's how you get a tulpa.

Thanks but I am not psychotic.

"Plague rats" could be products of forbidden druidic magic gone wrong.

Dieselpunk/Fantasy Setting filled with Rats and Trench warfare when?

What would prompt the war, user?

Oh shit.
I read back in the old thread and the user wanted Fionn to have some markings? (whether it means coming-of-age, war, virginity, marriage, fashion or whatever it wasn't explained)

So here she is with the markings.
If y'all don't like it, then I'll just have the removed.

Not going to lie, that looks pretty damn rad.

She's supposed to look beautiful, user!

Anyways I got time so I might to the pixies here

And she does. But she also looks rad. Looking forward to your work!

Pretty danm rat*

If you're interested in human/ratfolk relationships, I worked on some writefaggotry a few threads ago.

Part1
pastebin.com/06FDpYFP

Part2
pastebin.com/mA9Zypcb

It is a modern age, one gifted with the brilliant mines of countless inventors, filling crowded city-scapes with endless arrays of mechanical marvels and whimsical wonderment. It is an age of the spark, of steel, and of industry.
But the old ways will not die quietly.
Across the globe, from the slums populated by whispering fanatics, to savage and unexplored lands, those who remember the old ways, the old wisdoms, and the forces of nature find themselves commanding powers once thought to be the fantasies of shamans in ages past.

As the old world surges forward with renewed vigor, it rushes headlong into conflict with the new. Canals turn into raging rivers, factories choke on vegetation, and the streets buckle under the weight of impossible monsters.

And as this problem wasn't enough, foreign powers see this as an opportunity to claim new land, territories, and resources. The world is thrown into chaos, as the worlds banners turn on each other in a frantic war for dominance, while the shifting shadows of ancient titans looms over all...
Does this work user?

>it does look like she's from a race where intrepid heroes of legend are plenty.

ah shit i fucked up, ignore this post

Why, user?
What was it for?

Sure it works. Which of the world's banners are noteworthy?

I was going to suggest that hero worship should be an important aspect of their culture, kinda like what the greeks had en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_hero_cult

and that's it.

You are an orc
Not just any orc, you're one of the many coastal orcs that mostly reside at the fringes of the continents.
Your people pride themselves to be notorious seafarers to all the other races, utilizing that to its fullest extend.
Fearing no one, your people occasionally go on coastal raids and plunder from land and sea.
The jarls (or whatever we call them, do we even have a king?) have banded together to go viking once again onto the shores of the main continent.
Who do your leaders wage war with?

[] The Mountain Orcs : These kinds of orcs reside on the many craggy mountain ranges in the continent. Their clans are in a perpetual war against goblinkind and the many races that share their landscape. They are the most ferocious of the orcs.

[] The Steppe Orcs: These kind of orcs live a nomadic life throughout the flat steppes. They are usually known for their animal husbandry and savage cavalry. They have successfully waged wars against many other races, especially the Empire of Man. They are the most "successful" orcs in terms of roaming territory.

[] The Forest Orcs: These kind of orcs live in the dense labyrinthine forests of the continent. They are known for their shamanism and attunement to nature. They are no means unfamiliar with bloodshed of course, mixing raw physical combat with the ferocity of their craft. They are the orcs most familiar with magic.

[] The Winter Orcs: These kind of orcs live in the harsh winters far up to the Northern tundras. Little is known from their isolationist tribes but their reputation to steel against the harsh weather and monstrous beasts have earned them to be the physically strongest among the orc races.

I dig it.
They could carry their idol's brooches and/or markings to battle like what maybe Fionn is doing here

That's pretty damn good. Those markings suite her quite well
tfw she has flower like pattern around her pussy as a symbol of fertility

user...
Don't lewd Fionn, I'm warning you.
Grippa might arrest you for that.

On another note, the patterns may/may not be on the fur alone which can be shaven off and regrown into a new blank canvas.