Hey Veeky Forums...

Hey Veeky Forums, My girlfriend is taking me to play D&D for the first time this week and I have absolutely no knowledge or experience with it or similar games. What should I expect and where can I learn more?

Other urls found in this thread:

thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15126/roleplaying-games/game-structures
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15134/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-2-game-structure-basics
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15147/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-4-combat
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/36900/roleplaying-games/the-railroading-manifesto
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJmFJXf3BXjwXkNFo_-iwtHb24AuJcXqx
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What edition?

I heard her say something about the 2014 edition, but I'm not sure.

The 5th edition I guess?

>girl
>plays D&D without her boyfriend having introduced her to it
Where did you meet this semen demon?

I met her at a graphic design camp two years ago. We started dating last year, but I used to live really far away.

bump

A large portion of the game is rote computation to pick things that work well together. People I guess a lot of people have spreadsheets for a spirit animal? You haver to do most of this upfront, before you even start. Unlike in 3rd Edition, if you do a bad job in 5th Edition it'll only sort of sting later (instead of translating to you sitting in a chair doing nothing while everyone else plays).

Worth a read:
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15126/roleplaying-games/game-structures
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15134/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-2-game-structure-basics
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/15147/roleplaying-games/game-structures-part-4-combat

And you're probably going to have to deal with railroading:
thealexandrian.net/wordpress/36900/roleplaying-games/the-railroading-manifesto
(read all 6 pages)

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it!

If it's a good group, you should expect to have a good time. If it's a bad group, you should expect to have a bad time. You should also expect at least one fucking nerd to have the hots for your girlfriend if she's even middlingly attractive and be passive aggressive to you the whole time. Just pray that that guy isn't the DM.

Good luck, user. Try not to wind up like a That Girl in a "let my gf in our group" story.

Yeah, I thought so. But I met her friends and most of them seem to be really mild and non-confrontational. So hopefully it'll all be fine.

Are they all dudes?

All but one.

Maybe it won't be so bad then. Maybe the DM will like her instead. Or maybe you'll get really lucky and they'll be mostly well-adjusted adults. Report back.

Yeah, haha. I sure hope so. We're meeting up this friday, I'll report back once we're done.

Do you know what you're going to play? Human Paladin, Gnome Wizard, Dwarf Barbarian, etc.

No, I really have no experience with stuff like that.

The way you asked that question I'm guessing there are massive differences between the races.

Oops, sorry about that.

Go out and find a PDF (or a physical copy if you don't mind spending the money) and read the Player's Handbook. If not cover-to-cover, at least read the basics on the setting, how character creation is done, and how the mechanics of the game works. It'll save you, your GF and your DM a lot of headaches when it comes time for you to make a character sheet.

Will do. Thanks.

Find some actual plays and tutorials on Youtube. There's actually a fairly well done animated tutorial that explains the basics of 5th edition D&D fairly well.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJmFJXf3BXjwXkNFo_-iwtHb24AuJcXqx

Check /5eg/.

I also suggest watching a bit of the new season of Critical Role on YouTube. Veeky Forums (rightfully) kvetches but most of them are excellent roleplayers and it's a good way to get a sense for the "flow" of combat and adventuring.

Also, I suggest being a variant human monk with the mobile feat. Run in, attack, and run behind your friends. In general monks aren't super complicated, but they're tons of fun and have some great mechanics and utility. Ideal for a first character in my opinion.

At least, I recommend not playing a magic user to start out, or a partial one like a paladin or ranger. With all the rules to keep track of, reading each of your spells and tracking your slots can get really cumbersome for a new player.

And most importantly, have fun!!

Will do, thanks.

Again, thanks a lot lads. The session is on friday, I'll get back to you if anything interesting or special happens.

Check out the /5eg/ (5th Edition General) thread floating around here.

Ok, I will.