So we had a thread about Africa and it's implications in a sci-fi setting...

So we had a thread about Africa and it's implications in a sci-fi setting. After reading up some stuff about Brexit I'm curious how the idea of a United States of Europe holds in a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting as well.

Does Germany continue to be the seat of power for this new nation state? What countries would jump ship or be totally on board for it? What does Europe in general have to bring to a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

either it would never happen and break down, or be a dystopian hellhole where multiculturalism and sodomy is forced under gunpoint. we already voted to leave, other countries will soon.

I feel this implies that Britian has already left. What other countries are kind of teetering towards leaving or have had groups loudly declaring they want to leave?

Switzerland would remain defiant probably. I don’t see Germany getting its claws out of everybody’s business anytime soon

que Dieu bénisse la Suisse

Why in the hell is turkey still a candidate?

its a 6 year old map?

Didn't notice the date on it. Silly me.

It would be indistinguishable from Africa at that point so just refer to the Africa thread instead.

T. Swede feeling like hes in Mogadishu already

Well who didn't see this thread failing from a mile away

>After reading up some stuff about Brexit I'm curious how the idea of a United States of Europe holds in a sci-fi/cyberpunk setting as well.

You can't have a European cyberpunk setting without addressing the demographic shifts that have been going on since the 1970s. If current immigration trends continue than we're looking at Sweden being 35% Muslim by 2050 (this doesn't account for African Christians) Britain rocking a 20% population and Germany oscillating somewhere between 25-30%.

The future of Europe is brown, and knows no God but Allah, with Muhammad as His Prophet (pbuh.)

See Future Europe is going to be African, to get upset at people telling the truth is asinine.

pewforum.org/2017/11/29/europes-growing-muslim-population/

greece. spain. sweden norway

France and Germany finally understand they're made for each other and join up, leading the way for the new federation in similar fashion to how they started the coal and steel union.
Southern and central Europe are too economically dependent to reject the union while eastern Europe joins Russia in a demented parody of the Soviet Union, but this time it's run by oligarchs. EU-friendly independents, like Iceland, Norway and Switzerland, eventually join. As does the UK, now the poorest country in western Europe, after several decades of self-imposed isolation.
The end result is uncomfortably close to "Napoleon won" alt.history sci-fi.

>Norway
>Leaving the EU
I don't even know where to start user.

>thread about Africa is full of art and discussion
>thread about Europe is full of "reeee brown people"

Is this the Twilight Zone or something?

That’s basically all Europe is these days, an endless debate on brown people and the EU.

Cyberpunk generally takes the worst parts of a continent and amplifies them. Right now, the worst part of Europe is their immigration crises and extremist movements. It stands to reason that a cyberpunk setting that takes place in Europe would focus around the ethnic strife and religious fundamentalism cranked up to 11.

Sci-fi is generally no different, and has the added weight of needing to at least recognize how things could develop in the future. For Europe, the future is brown and Muslim. To ignore that aspect of the new European character is ridiculous.

Have they considered that a future where Africa doesn't suck would alleviate their immigration woes anyway?

Pew does great research. That High Migration scenario is already dead though, as most European countries (even Germany) have already closed off the tap, repatriated many, tightened refugee eligibility and in some cases put up fences (Hungary, Austria).

>Cyberpunk generally takes the worst parts of a continent and amplifies them.
Not really, cyberpunk is more about amplifying the worst parts of *society.* Race doesn't really factor into most cyberpunk settings because culture is mostly homogeneous and everybody is getting fucked by The Man.

The Medium Migration scenario is hardly any different, percentage-wise, than the High Migration scenario. The only people who will see significant percentage differences is Germany, from 17.9% to what, 12%?

yeah, thats because most cyberpunk is from the 80s, where race issues weren't that prevalent compared to now. dumbfuck

So you’re saying ethnic conflict and religious extremism aren’t current issues in European society that could be explored in Cyberpunk?

"Africa not sucking" is too far into the future to stop the damage currently being done. Besides, China is currently setting themselves up as the new colonial masters, unburdened as they are by anything resembling white guilt.

I feel like cyberpunk almost always takes part in some kind of multicultural bizarroland. It's basically a genre convention that everyone is some kind of russian/french/japanese mutt

>Race doesn't really factor into most cyberpunk settings because culture is mostly homogeneous and everybody is getting fucked by The Man.

It’s not the 1980s anymore, user. Get with the times and look at how the society of 2018 would be in 2050, not the society of 1988.

>It's another thinly veiled /pol/ thread
Get this shit off of my elf discussion board.

Norway isn't even in the EU, and like Spain and Sweden has a strong pro-EU government you mong

Spain doesn't want to leave the EU. Catalonia wants to leave Spain.

It's an americlap that's never left rural Utah. This is a /pol/ thread. Why bother feeding or bumping this garbage?

>Does Germany continue to be the seat of power for this new nation state?
>continue
Dude...

The muslim takeover of Europe is a paranoid fantasy of racists and bigots. Even the most extreme projections show them to be 15% of the population by 2050, and that's making a lot of very dumb assumptions.

Europe is going from strength to strength and would likely be a true global power if it did form a european federation. The problem with that, at the moment, is that the EU is inherently unequal. Germany and France get a lot of advantages, while newer member states suffer. In a cyberpunk context, that inequality being perpetuated would give you a lot of plot hooks for internal struggle within the union, as member states tried to get themselves better deals or elevate themselves to the same level as the central powers.

I'm saying that making them the central feature isn't particularly "cyberpunk." Having a high-immigrant-population Europe and even the potential conflicts that arise from that as part of the backdrop of a setting is pretty reasonable, like all the Chinese immigrants in Blade Runner. But making it somehow the end-all-be-all is both off-key for the genre and only makes sense if you're doing so to push your beliefs.

Don't worry. They still want Turkey.

Because a Fed EU cyberpunk universe may actually be interesting, since cyberpunk is mostly set in the US or in Asia

Corporations aren't that huge here. I feel like an authoritarian government or powerful and corrupt trade unions would fit in better. We also have a decreasing, ageing population. Will we resort to robot labour or to immigrants without rights?

Have you not considered that Africans are useless?

A powerful, increasingly authoritarian EU engaged in a cold dirty war with the US and Russia could be a nice setting