Itt: Obscure Lore

itt: Obscure Lore

The Ultramarines have a human Eldar hybrid in their chapter. Makes sense since there own Primarch is a knife ear stroker

The original member of the Dark Angels were injuns.

this is from an unofficial fanzine

That is not obscure

The majority of the Adepta Sororitas are non-combat oriented and their orders are some of the smallest military forces in the Imperium.
[Citation Needed] Basically everyone laughs at them when they put on power armor.

They're fucking crazy tho.

Not only this
But given that fem-activists have been trotting this out online on a regular basis since the 90's, or earlier, this is hardly obscure.

You want to go obscure on this one, you gotta drag up the rest of the pages to the article.

Delete this.

Delete what, Gulliman, the part of the codex that rules out recruiting hybrid abominations?

I hope the Black Templars find out for the lulz

That's pretty hypocritical.

Ordo Hydra.

Sand Clams, Sand Squids, Ambulls... Rogue Trader had an entire sand ocean ecosystem going on.

You could still run those rules in 40k now. Custom stat an Ambull based on its old profile (and get some Ambull minis from Knightmare), and run the ground level of sandy terrain as hazardous in some way (make sure there's a good deal of catwalks to run on). Any unit without FLY rolls a d6 on the terrain table. 2-6+ is nothing, but on 1 you roll a further d6:
>1-3: Sand Squid attacks (figure out stats for that one)
>4-5: Sand Clam attacks (stats for this one)
>6: Put an Ambull on the board

Do they have any 3rd party models

>literally shits on his own codex.
>11th company commander
>creates a million secret super space marines with a techno-heretic
>said heretic has also created traitor and lost marines again
>also consorts with aliens and is kept alive through dark age technology.

Guillyboy is a hypocrit, which is why I like him.

Girly Man is unrionicly my favorite Primarch

lost marines?

Does someone have the really fucking old lore about the humans who worship a spider god?

You mean the regular spider that bit gork or mork then turned into a god?

Pic related

There's speculation Cawl is fucking around with traitor seed despite being explicitly told not to

The codex was always meant to be a temporary measure and means by which the Imperium could br stabilized, and as intended to be a set of guidelines. Later people started worshipping the damn thing

If you step in a puddle of Great Unclean One pus, you might get pregnant with a Nurgling, which will crawl out of your mouth or out of your ass and follow you around (if you survive) like you're its mother

If you're a chaos wizard, you can get a shortstack daemonette as your familiar

The Old Ones' descendants are still around, they're psychic frog people called the Slann, they still have a bunch of super-technology but don't know how to replicate it, and they wage wars for purely ritual reasons

The chapter known as the Dark Brotherhood shares its name with a heresy-era group of Blackshield marines of unclear allegiance. They are occasionally depicted as warped biomechanical freaks with archeotech guns.

There's a group of marines called the Valedictors that are referred to as a "legion" despite being active in the 41st millenium

The Red Terror apparently survived the battle of Devlan Prime by hiding in a refugee transport ship and slaughtering everyone on board, then landed on another planet

Hive Fleet Tiamet (aka Tiamat) was once lost in the warp and subjected to demonic possession and cannibalism

Tyranid rippers and carnifex (with the regeneration biomorph) can survive an exterminatus

Some psy-augurs have detected a soul in necrons despite them being made out of psyk-out metal

you mean the undead spider that's worshipped by zombies on Necromunda?

well maybe if it wasn't written in a sententious biblical style, people wouldn't take it so damn seriously

Oh ok. I wasn't sure if you meant lost legion gene seed

I want to say it was written in reference to an Ork coming across a group of humans who didn't worship the Emperor but were in a spider cult.

Necrodermis is just a specific kind of necron living metal

there are several types of living metal, that use very different regeneration techniques. Some of them are just made out of nanoscarabs, some of them have time-warping properties, some of them just naturally grow back.

T'au battlesuit pilots sometimes become mentally disabled as a result of interfacing with their battlesuits too often. Some of them end up forgetting that they can't fly.

T'au use lifelike robots of all sorts of species in their battle simulations

Ork mechs build not-lifelike-at-all robot replicas of their enemies known as "tinboyz"

Ork music known as " 'eavy metal" is actually very close to EBM and industrial music and doesn't involve guitars.

The Emperor's goal is to ensure that humanity becomes a psyker race without being corrupted by Chaos.

The Emperor is kind of the prototype of this future race of psykers, he is therefore known as a "Numen"

"Mon'keigh" roughly translates as "vermin" in the eldar tongue

Yo.
index.rpg.net/
display-entry.phtml?mainid=11999

And yo.
fuckyeahbritisholdschoolgaming.tumblr.com/
post/142692026084

Catachan Devils are likely descended from Tyranids.

Emperor is a fifth chaos god.

Alpha Legion is/was the militant arm of the Hordo Hydra, a multi racial multi faction anti-chaos organization

Salamanders were brown (african americans), not literal pitch black caucasianss,

Back then the Horus Heresy and the Primarchs were obscure and fascinating. Not the modern Shonen of specual melodramatic snowlakes it is today.

Chaos was likewise more subjective, not just a faction that GW sold you. There were chaos Eldar (not Dark Eldar), chaos Orks and chaos robots (which later became Necrons).

There was a time were Khorne berzerkers were not dub melee units. They were extremely intelligent and very capable of tactical thought, they were just devoted to killing, war and massacres.

That's not obscure, that was the official lore until GW dumbed everything down

>There was a time were Khorne berzerkers were not dub melee units. They were extremely intelligent and very capable of tactical thought, they were just devoted to killing, war and massacres.

Any sauce for that? Sounds cool

The highest levels of the Adeptus Mechanicus are completely insane, even by the normal standards of the setting. This partly explains the schizophrenic nature of Imperial technology - the youngest members of the cult don't know enough to do much, the middle-ranking ones are overworked servicing the needs of the Imperium, their masters and trying to survive long enough to get promoted, and the highest ranking techpriests are stupidly powerful posthuman cyborgs with access to unique wonders from the dark ages but are also so cripplingly mad that they can't put them to effective use.

>Emperor is a fifth Chaos god
factually wrong. He is a psychic construct made by the shamans of Terra who fused their souls on purpose, whereas chaos gods are natural warp phenomena
>Alpha Legion is/was the militant arm of the Hordo Hydra, a multi racial multi faction anti-chaos organization
actually the militant arm of the Cabal

>Salamanders were brown (african americans), not literal pitch black caucasianss,
literal opposite of the truth
some of their earliest miniatures were even painted with blonde hair and a greyish skin tone

>Chaos was likewise more subjective, not just a faction that GW sold you
Chaos was defined and described with surgical precision from an omniscient perspective.

Obscure lore =/= fanfiction

Cabal is the retcon of the Hordo Hydra you fucking newfag.

Chaos was widespread and influenced way more species in more subjective ways. Now it's green for nurgle, red for khorne etc....

Oooooh you're talking about that thing from Inquisition War.
I don't fucking remember the Alpha Legion being related to this at all.

>in more subjective ways
you mean in purely technical gameplay ways
Aside from the chaos eldar (which only had like two sentences of fluff) due to Slaanesh, and the daemon-possessed genestealers, chaos was indeed mostly about humans and their mutant offshoots. And it was already green for nurgle, red for khorne etc. With a convenient little list of each god's color and fashion style and holy day and favorite nail polish etc

Since then we've had the Sslyth, those fuckers from the Eisenhorn novels, mentions of chaos-corrupted necrons etc...

3E rulebook is fantastic for lore

He was an aide to the chapter not part of it
That’s like saying chapter astropaths are space marines

Typical American messing things up - as seen by the spelling of honour

Fuck I love that, I'd forgotton Cawl could actually make sense lore-wise if handled correctly.

My favourite part is near the back where there's all these disparate designs drawn together for someone's review, and it really sounds like someone's trying to develop on the sly a one man or autonomous leman russ battletank with a fusion power plant.

He has implanted traitor and lost legion geneseed to create primaris test subjects
What happened to those test subjects is unknown

Or the rogue old one who created the Tyranids used them to create the basis of the tyranids
Also the Krakens egg was confirmed in a WD scenario article to be full of dormant tyranids

Before carnifex meant the type of tyranid warrior, it was the name of the tool for the posthumous extraction of the marine glands.

>rogue old one who created the Tyranids

Everyone keeps saying but is there any proof? Why would the old ones create a race of biomass-consuming monsters when their enemy (necrons) have no biomass?

It's not even original.

The original members drank blood mixed with wine and were founded by Lyyn.

>There were chaos Eldar (not Dark Eldar),

No. By the time there were rules specifically for Chaos factions, there were no Chaos Eldar. There were Eldar described as being "alive" on the former worlds (now daemon worlds) of the old Eldar Empire, but that's always been true.

>chaos Orks

Yes but only as part of a non-Chaos warband.

>and chaos robots (which later became Necrons).

No! There were Chaos Androids in the game Space Crusade, which was made under license for another company.

"Carnifex" is just Latin for "executioner".

Afaik there never was a creator mentioned.

Likewise the fenrisian kraken.

I liked the theory that many fucked up dangerous animals in the galaxy were of Nid origin.

Either he went mad or he wanted to create a warrior species like the orks but one that could be controlled by a central intelligence but died and the hive became self sentient
The presence of the Pharos suggests the tyranids were in the galaxy before and something created it as a signal whilst the black stone of it is similar to the black stone fortresses which the eldar created based on old one tech
And at the same time the eldar themselves have no legends of the tyranids in the galaxy

The book "Xenobiology" implies that the Old Ones created the Tyranids as yet another weaponised species akin to the Eldar and Orks to combat the C'tan-reborn Necrontyr.

>Xenobiology
>Canon
I get it, but it was still a cool fucking book that's worth a read.

I like the theory that Tyranids are running away from an even greater enemy who consumed their home galaxy

Doesn’t explain all the evidence to a prior tyranid presence yet the oldest races don’t know about them until they encounter them (in the case of Necrons that’s the silent king)
The only explanation is some experimental race that fled or was sent away and then got out of control - unless there’s an old one at the centre of the hive mind
Remember the original tyranids were not giger aliens they were closer to alien dinosaurs

no proof, it's bullshit rumors that date back to the 3rd edition necron codex that fucked up the old fluff so bad that everyone went wild with their bullshit theories

such as: "tyranids are the embodiment of the Outsider" or "the Nightbringer is actually Khorne" or "Kroots and Orks were once the same race"

The origins of the tyranids are laid bare in their Epic 40k supplement: they were once a regular-ass race, part of an ecosystem that possibly also contained the Zoat. At some point they started reproducing through cloning and became able to manipulate their own genome. They assimilated everything on their world, then went into space to eat more stuff.

That's all.

eldar chaos champions were playable, that's about it

it's called Xenology, and no, it does NOT imply that
it implies that the HRUD were designed by the Old Ones

You shouldn't. it tremendously cheapens the tyranids

the actual explanation is that they simply evolved that way, to the point where they are now able to control their own evolution

>The Red Terror apparently survived the battle of Devlan Prime by hiding in a refugee transport ship and slaughtering everyone on board, then landed on another planet
If everyone on board was dead, then who landed the ship?

see

the codex explicitly says the ship was on auto-pilot

no, I said sand hams

>The Emperor is kind of the prototype of this future race of psykers, he is therefore known as a "Numen"

lol numales

primarchs confirmed for soyboys

Is anything know about the creators of Orks?

Yes, quite explicitly so.
The orks were created by the "brainboyz" to protect their mind-expanding mushroom crops. But the orks eventually overthrew the brainboyz, ate all their mushrooms, and after a few generations the orks became smart enough to have their own civilization while the brainboyz became dumber and dumber. All that remains of them is now known as Snotlings.

That's it.

Also of note: it seems that back in the day, orks had a purer language called "high orkish" (which is where their glyphs come from), whereas their current language includes a lot of proto-gothic terms

Sorry, yes, Xenology.

And the Old One tablet depicting the descendent weapon races does heavily >imply that they made the Tyranids. Here's the tablet. Looks like a bug to me.

Anyone know what the size limit is for pdfs?

Looks like a skink to me. Tyranids universally have six limbs

Since the Old Ones are the Slanni, that looks like another callback to WFB lore.

Fuck off, applesponge.

yeah sure a tyranid with four limbs and a cranial crest.

Couldn't be one of the Old Ones' most famous achievements instead.

Those very same creatures that the 3rd edition Necron codex invited you to use in 40k as the Old Ones' progenies

>the Old Ones' most famous achievements
>skinks

Seriously?

forget the traitor geneseed - he's consorting with the Second and 11th legions despite Guilliman EXPLICITLY saying not to.

Cawl Inferior is also kind of a great idea too.

yes. lizardmen. Not their greatest, just their most famous.

Looks like a Slann

source?

Huh they have back ridges too, there you go. Happy to concede, thought the skinks were smoother and less armoured.

I always preferred this user's explanation anyway some things in Xenology felt a little forced in for muh necrons vs old ones.

slann don't have crests

but close enough, current-day slann are the Old Ones' descendants

Oh right, sorry for my misunderstanding. I mean I like skinks but I wouldn't want to hang out with one.

Xenology was written in the wake of the 3rd edition necron codex which retconned a shitload of old lore

like, the war in heaven. originally it didn't involve the necrons, it was just an eldar thing

and the Slann were explicitly NOT supposed to have lost their civilization in a war

and the C'tan were originally a race of artificers with no connection to the necrons

and the Orks weren't designed by the old ones

The 3rd edition necron codex smashed all that shit together into a massive mess compared to which the Gathering Storm fluff seems extremely conservative

Pretty sure he was a librarian

>like, the war in heaven. originally it didn't involve the necrons, it was just an eldar thing
That's still the case, it's just that the name itself is used for both the war between the Necrons/C'tan and Old Ones, and for the war between the Eldar gods.

Kill yourself, tranny gelding.

No. The war is one and the same. It's just that the Aledari have a unique perspective of it that is shrouded by myth and bullshit.

Well, 60 million years and a shitload of drug-induced buttsex happened for the Eldar, whereas the Necrons just went into standby mode and should have a clear memory of what happened.

He just picked up some of his dads bad habits
>appear as a glorious glowing golden giant with preternaturally perfect features
>lol, hey guys stop worshiping me you dummies.

Is a man not entitled to look fabulous as fuck?

>The war is one and the same.
That's a very suspect claim. The war between Vaul and Khaine over the fate of Isha and Kurnous is somehow tied up with the Necrons, the Old Ones and the C'tan? And the Necrons are never mentioned?

I like the theory that there's a metric fuck-tonne of Tyranid "hives", each one roaming around the galactic clusters, feeding on galaxies in incredibly long cycles. If there's evidence that they've been here before, it's because they have, and now that they've let life regrow they're back.

How can life regrow if they eat everything but bedrock?

Chaos would remember them.

How did life begin in the first place, dongle? Do you think life existed before life existed? Turtle-loving fuck.
Chaos is "new" though. At least, I remember reading that Khorne, the oldest god, is supposed to have come into being about the time of Columbus (a not-so-subtle reference to his bloodthirsty shenanigans).

Anyone got that "It's Wolf Time." quote from Russ?

What happened to all the Gods the Eldar created back when they had total control of the warp.

chaos

That cover was originally fan art.
Does that count as obscure lore?

anyone have that picture where an eldar philosopher said that orks are the best race?

Not sure if its obscure but I love the concept of The Harrowing.

You mean not!Diogenes? No.

>Chaos is "new" though
Time works differently in the warp.
>I remember reading that Khorne, the oldest god, is supposed to have come into being about the time of Columbus
This really doesn't make any sense though. Because if that's true, then that means in the entire history of the universe, among all the alien races that ever waged war upon each other, or even among themselves, none of them ever committed enough wanton slaughter that might make an impact upon the warp. There was no Blood God until humans started doing their thing? Not even the War in Heaven, in which the Eldar took part, caused enough bloodshed?

That seems pretty weird, all things considered.