I'm looking to start a campaign where the players will be part of a colony setting up sort of a new world settlement

i'm looking to start a campaign where the players will be part of a colony setting up sort of a new world settlement.

does Veeky Forums have any system or even a videogame i could use to base a city-building mini-game off of.

their input will be pretty optional, they could just ignore it and adventure while the town grows on its own; or interact and/or lead the town's growth as much as they want.
either way i want a system to grow it as they play.

i was thinking "banished", or maybe "anno 1404", but assume someone made something even better for tabletops at some point.

this city-management mini-game would be all handled on the group's forum, though.

Other urls found in this thread:

adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/
youtu.be/oGAC-gBoX9k
1d4chan.org/wiki/Stratedgy
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't have your answer, but I'll bump in case someone else does.

Maybe cannibalize ideas and systems from Meikyuu Kingdom. The pdf is easy to find.

At least one spelljammer module had a complex built to hold colonists (for a vampire) so they could provide just enough food to survive while having the occasional person vanish mysteriously. Liked the preplanned layout idea presented (at least a little thought put into the story)

this might have some useful info...

There's a savage worlds setting supplement called broken earth (a post-apoc setting) with a fairly decent settlement building system in it, with population management, seasonal food harvesting and 'building upgrades' which effect what sort of tools or services both the town and the players have ready access too.

For example there was a gun makers shop that turned the towns militia from spear wielding savages to musket men. You also had 'specialize' townfolk the trappers that could find food in the winter or mechanics that could repair machinery or make new devices out of collected scrap.

Could probably fiddle with it a bit to fit a different setting/time period by changing some things around.

I recall there being town/city/nation building rules for the Kingmaker module for Pathfinder. You basicly start with a small outpost and grow it into a village, then town, then city and then nation. You decide what sort of buildings you want to set up and they give various effects and you need to fill various positions in government that all have various effects on growth and prosperity.

Banished, the Anno game, Frostpunk, Planetbase, and Rimworld all have pretty much the same mechanics. You gather resources to build structures that give you various bonuses while balancing upkeep costs on everything while you expand.

There used to be a guy here on Veeky Forums a ways back who did "civ builder" sort of CYOA best with pictures where he we draw in the choices players made and various challenges that might arise. Then at the end it was all turned into a .gif that showed the growth and evolution of the "story"

>"civ builder" sort of CYOA
links?
archives?

I know at least a few of the threads had to have been archived, because someone compiled all the pictures in most of them to make the "flipbooks" for them. I've tried searching around but havn't found anything. I just have no real idea what tags to search for. Things like civ, cyoa, and drawthread each bring up thousands of hits in the archives.

well SHIT

Learn to play Dwarf Fortress. Rewarding game to play and it does show just about everything one might need to account for in a pre-gunpowder low-magic settlement.

If it's fantasy, I'd cobble something together using ACKS and Strongholds and Dynasties.

Try playing Rimmworld.

Well sock it to me. I'm gonna be starting up a very similar campaign!

I'm using the Iron Kingdoms RPG with a bit of alternate history. Due to some cataclysm back in the main continent of Immoren, most likely due to shenanigans between the various factions, a small fleet of ships escaped the hellish lands across the sea hoping to find safety.

After nearly a year of sailing the fleet was reduced to a few ships who managed to sight the New World. This "New World" however was thought to be the place of origin of the Orgoth, a people who had long ago subjugated Immoren under their rule. But the travelers find only an eerily quiet coast, and so they begin the construction of their new home using their ships as materials.

The campaign begins a few years later with the settlement beginning to become sparse in many of the resources they had brought from home. The players will be tasked with journeying into the wilderness to discover replacement sources as well as to help in the expansion of their peoples home.

learning dwarf fortress sounds terrifying and overwhelming.

the groups regular DM always plays old games with level caps because the worlds are human-dominant. which i've gotten sick of after decades.
so i started working on an idea where humans are nobodies. there's one fairly established human city a couple decades old, and they've hit the point where they want to expand and a couple small colony attempts are being made.
world population of 10 million not counting monsters, humans only about 25,000.

continent the size of europe, so very sparsely populated.

halflings provide the common tongue, but have to be called hobbits because they aren't half of anything without humans to compare them to.

should also be entertaining (for me) when they can't just get an endless supply of horses or dogs or rope or whatever other common items they abuse.

>learning dwarf fortress sounds terrifying and overwhelming.
its not so bad.
and he didnt say "master" he said "learn".
DF has quite the array of things to think about in terms of colonial efforts. though its really more of a fantasy game than a historical one.

>world population of 10 million not counting monsters
ah, so you ARE going fantasy.

>endless supply of [...] whatever other common items they abuse.
or rather they have to wait reasonable periods of time for the relevant craftsmen to make them.

>so you ARE going fantasy.
very much so.
the continent and seas exists on the back of a giant space turtle.

humans come to turtle world after a period of contraction from the other civilizations, due to numerous fantasy-world things and plague.

like latter day roman empires, where they've fallen back to a fraction of their former territory but are still grand and impressive civilizations.

humans will have all that abandoned territory to try to grab for themselves away from whatever wilderness overtook the previous inhabitants.

population is still sorta up in the air, 10 million is really low, but it won't be a crowded world.

the regular group DM, who would be just a PC in this, reads /tg more than me, so i'm scant on posting details.

Check out "An Echo Resounding" by Kevin Crawford. It is not the most in-depth Domain management system out there, but a major feature is making it so that normal play (dungeons, adventuring, killing shit and taking their stuff) feeds into the Domain play, and back.

Your adventures help build your kingdom, your kingdom's growth opens up new adventures.

Should be able to find it in the Sin Nomine folder over in the /osr/ thread.

well if you're looking for things befalling colonies in a fantasy setting you might try
though its just me researching for a game of my own, and people are getting salty cause I've kept it up so long.

>An Echo Resounding
looking that up there...

Do you have more of these?

I also have 8 and 11

thanks m8, this is some good stuff. I'll have to see if I can find the rest somewhere.

D&D 4e had a book called The New World, by Ross Payton.

I used it to help get a better idea of how a new colony should be set up and the kind of issues (good and bad) that would come up with a new colony for my own setting stuff.

i also wish there was a program that let me draw kawaii little maps like that first pic.

or a banished map editor or something.

There's always this.
adarkroom.doublespeakgames.com/
Sorry.

I forgot about this thing

ah the nostalgia

map editor . org has a tiled map set that looks pretty cute. Not as nice as the drawn stuff in OP, but for those of us lacking in even scribble skills, let alone cartography, it's not bad. Just be sure to toss them a fair price, since they put it out as a "pay what you like" deal.

Maybe you can look at something from a West Marches type game.

youtu.be/oGAC-gBoX9k

that is super cute.

i want the town to be cute so they find it endearing and grow more attached to it and less likely to be fucking evil murder hobos.

looks like i need to download tilesets separately.

i should start a thread for tilesets another time.

Indeed, it can do some cute stuff, but setting up tilesets can be slightly tedious. Still worth the effort though.

Neat user. Thanks. I see billions of resources a day here, rarely i keep stuff.
Thanks again

Isn't that the Stardew Valley tileset?

Yep! It got support on Tiled last year. Before that it ran on tIDE but now you can use this editor with it too.

bumperino

ACKS is best. The economy is built from the ground up to not break things when you get to city/kingdom/empire levels.

Are you talking about the stratedgy guy?

1d4chan.org/wiki/Stratedgy

Why do you need a system for this? Just write it as you go along and figure out how the player's impact their growth.