Let's have a little exercise. Roll 3d10, get the genre from pic related, and try to come up with the brief game concept

Let's have a little exercise. Roll 3d10, get the genre from pic related, and try to come up with the brief game concept.

Rolled 2, 9, 10 = 21 (3d10)

Lets see what we get!

>Victorian Supernatural Farce

Oh hell yes.
Welcome to Penny Dreadfuls, a game where you play a bunch of victorian era actors attempting ot tell spooky, gory, schlocky drama to get paid. Little do you know that a lot of the supernatural shit you're working with is actually real, and you now have to balance dealing with the genuine danger of supernatural threats on stage while still keeping it funny enough to prevent the audience from freaking out and leaving.

An example game would be doing a production of Sweeny Todd when one of your actors is possessed by the phantom of the aforementioned serial killer mid-production. Now you've got to keep the play running while still preventing him from actually killing anyone, or at least playing it off as comedy enough to keep your audience from leaving. Elaborate slapstick routines, stealing his razors, screwing with the trapdoors and actively rewriting the script are all tools you can use.

Game plays best as a monster of the week kind of deal, but dfeinitely has options for a more long-running series of events. I would suggest some kind of supernatural benefactor demanding plays.

You know what fuck, I'm gonna actually try to make this. This sounds fun as hell

Rolled 3, 2, 1 = 6 (3d10)

I think I have an idea.
Players are lieutenants in charge of WWII platoons. The party as a whole is a company. Skills/attributes are cumulative numbers from each soldier in platoon. The game itself boils down to resource management, but your resources are mostly people. The further you progress, the less people you have, but your remaining forces compensate it by their gathered experience.

>Lets see what we get!
You get told to take game threads to /qst/, shitter.

What /qst/ has to do with it?

What the fuck does alt modern mean?

Rolled 8, 6, 6 = 20 (3d10)

Alright lets roll

I suppose it means being modern without ties to real world.

10, 5, 1

Time Traveling Swashbuckling Adventure

Sounds good.

pic probably not related

"Tempo, Dancing in the Timestream"
Secret organization recruits heroic people from many different times and sends teams on 'Mission Impossible' style adventures.

Rolled 10, 5, 9 = 24 (3d10)

Rolled 7, 8, 10 = 25 (3d10)

Rolled 5, 3, 7 = 15 (3d10)

Time Bandits?

>Alt. Modern
>Espionage
>Crime Drama
That is, surprisingly coherent. It is in an alternate modern day where the napoleonic wars ended in a french victory and iron fisted control over europe.

Rolled 6, 7, 3 = 16 (3d10)

Private detectives after the vampire apocalypse?

>Alt. History Superhero Mystery
Shifted industrial era setting with super heroes slowly popping up into the world. As always, some try to help and others take advantage of their gifts with the common rabble all fearing them because "they're demigods and shouldn't have that kind of power."
The players can choose to be supers or not. The focus would be to help with super hero related mysteries or to just uncover some conspiracy.
We superhero industrial scooby doo now

In a place more than far away, in a time more than long ago, the reavers on the sea of time sailed back and back and in their greed stole all of histoy. But with no past they had no future to sail home to and lost upon the waves of eternity, their wealth would not save them.

For unfathomable timeless aeons they were cast adrift, their ships finding no here nor now upon which to drop their anchors, until prechance they beached upon our here and our now. Their haunted hulls sail upon our seas, crewed by terrible ancients, both more and much less than men. They wield the wonders of every age and seek only one aim, to carry on the plunder that damned them eternities ago.

>"The rain was coming down like all the angels in heaven started crying their eyes out at once. It'd been like that for a while now, five, ten years? I'd once read that before the End, there was a legend about God flooding the world to cleanse it of sin. Well, if you ask me he wasn't trying hard enough."
>"Still, all that rain wasn't just God's fault. We put the clouds there to block out the sun, back during the End. Back when it happened, when the sky went from blue and black to a heavy sheet of grey that stretched forever like a body bag pulled over the world, I started keeping a count on one of my walls. Every day the sun didn't rise I'd add a count. It's been thirty years since."
>"I need a drink."

Sure, let's take a roll.

Rolled 10, 2, 8 = 20 (3d10)

Whoops, caught the dumb.

Rolled 9, 10, 2 = 21 (3d10)

Here's hoping for something interesting

>Multidimensional Magical Thriller
Eh, these are a dime a dozen these days.

Rolled 1, 1, 6 = 8 (3d10)

How do I roll dice?

Time-Traveling Military Western.

Hmmm.
There's a lot to unpack here.

My first instinct is to make a team of rough-and-tumble soldiers/mercs/operatives who are going back in time to change notable battles.

The biggest problem is that Westerns have a frequent theme of "the old vs the new", and time-travel janks with that.

Unless I reverse the direction of the travel...A band of the most dangerous men in the West, stolen out of time to aid some future force in a conflict, having to unite their disparate battle strategies into a cohesive force to take on enemy combatants.

It still feels more like a novel than a game, and maybe more a gloomhaven style board game/series of tactical encounters than an RPG, but I guess there isn't an explicit requirement that the game be an RPG.

Rolled 5, 9, 5 = 19 (3d10)

rollin dem bones

That was fun, let me do another.

Rolled 10, 2, 7 = 19 (3d10)

Shit

The chrono division of the NCIS is tireless in their duty to solve crimes that will have habbened and bring those who used to have comitted them to justice. Unfortunately, after funding will be cut next year they have had to never have issued anti-paradox equipment. This has resulted in a series of mis-trials on the technicality of the crimes never having been comitted. With a wave of dropped charges the team must once again face some of their greatest foes for the very first time.

Rolled 5, 4, 3 = 12 (3d10)

>Alt.Modern
>Martial Arts
>Mystery

I'm not sure what the Alt. Modern is suppose to mean but either way we're getting a Kung Fu Noir Detectives and that's fucking rad on it's own.

So daybreakers beat cops. Mite b cool.

Rolled 7, 7, 9 = 23 (3d10)

Poof

Batman Beyond as told by Homer.

Rolled 9, 2, 2 = 13 (3d10)

Multi-dimensional military thriller

So just 40k but with some extra dimensions? Lame.

Rolled 2, 7, 5 = 14 (3d10)

Rolled 8, 5, 3 = 16 (3d10)

8 2 8 ?!

Rolled 7, 3, 8 = 18 (3d10)

Let's see what we can come up with. I rather like this

Rolled 2, 3, 5 = 10 (3d10)

> Victorian
> Espionage
> Horror

We're running Call of Cthulhu, set in the early 1800's. The party is a group of detectives and constables enlisted by the crown to prevent a murderous cult's attempt to summon their deity's true form, while keeping the nature of their work secret from the people of the city.

Rolled 6, 5, 1 = 12 (3d10)

Maybe shades of Vampire Hunter D I think.

Rolled 6, 5, 9 = 20 (3d10)

Rolled 10, 6, 6 = 22 (3d10)

I remember when we used to do this then make one-page RPGs out of the results. That shit was fun.

>Time-travelling Gothic Noir
I will return later tonight with a single-page PDF of my game.

Alt history, swash buckling, fable

Legendary adventures of J.P. Viau, folk hero from French New York. He sails the hard Atlantic seas hunting for Rosbif and riches. The right hand man and best friend of Emperor Napoleon II he has wild adventures at sea and the turbulent politics of a colony divided.

Rated PG 13