Why do western people like fantasy settings where everything is brown and grimy and looks, literally, like shit...

Why do western people like fantasy settings where everything is brown and grimy and looks, literally, like shit? Is it a mental disorder?

Other urls found in this thread:

candb.com/site/candb/cache/artwork/1600/encounter_skyrim_bethesda2_1600x1171_marked.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Attempts at realism despite the fact that time periods they're trying to emulate were gaudy as fuck.

I won't say that's what they like, it's just all that's out there other than cartoonishly colorful and over the top.

Nihilism and "realism" are "popular" right now which I can't fathom how.

A combination of two factors: the myth of progress and post-modernism.

The first is the easiest, it is the fallacy that everything gets better and everything new automatically is superior to the old. This idea emerged predominantly during the "Age of Enlightenment", which is the only (non-dynastic) age to have ever named itself. As such everything that preceded it had to be worse in order to emphasize how far those who were enlightened by their own intelligence had come. Most myths you know about the "Dark Ages" came from this era, all the way from Columbus sailing off the earth to the discredited yet still widely popular Draper-White thesis.

The second is the cancer that has recently infested the corps political: post-modernism. In particular, the post-modernist deconstruction of Western society through a progressive/feminist lens. This once again emphasizes that everything that's white, patriarchal and Christian is by default evil. Guess which three words can be used to define the Middle Ages?

Ironically badly researched Nip isekai shit is actually more accurate in what medieval man wore in terms of clothing. They wouldn't wear expensive shit like purple clothing, but they generally wore bright stuff rather than various shades of black, brown and shit. Hell, undyed clothing is by default white-ish generally speaking.

I guess media in general in the West also went through an edgy period in the 90s it never really got over.

Most people start off playing a Noblebright or Normalbright campaign as that is what most GM's tend to start out with. As you mature as a Gamer/GM, you move towards different setting and take inspiration from new things they have seen/read, they realize that grittyness is pretty cool. Its why 40k sells. Its brutal, grimy on a galaxy-spanning scale. Its also why games like Dark-souls and Witcher sell so well.

>" "
You sound like a huge faggot.

Yes. It's called Leftism.

?

Because when people crave escapism they usually desire the opposite of what they experience in real life. Sad and bleak things are attractive to those who are not experiencing it ie people living the good life while bright and happy settings are attractive to those who live shitty lives, so its no wonder the latter is so popular on Veeky Forums.

Any examples please? The closest thing to "let's just use brown, yellow and like" is art for Planescape, and that's like 25 years old.

>implying any branch of conservatism isn't daddy issues: the politics

>If you think the police covering up 1,400 cases of child abuse because of fears of accusations of racism is going too far, you have daddy issues
Ironic, considering the Cult of the Left is trying its hardest to eliminate the father from childrearing. Almost as if their cultists are the result of single mother households or something.

I like grit, fucks wrong with that?

Massive projection right there. Leftists are like women who hate their fathers and go fuck a bunch of black guys.
Oh wait, they aren't LIKE that, that's literally their political platform. Huu huu huu diversity. Cringe, dude. Massive cringe.

>This once again emphasizes that everything that's white, patriarchal and Christian is by default evil

I...don't understand the point you're trying to drive at here. Is your suggestion that most game developers oppose that which is white, patriarchal, and Christian, and reflect that by having dull colors? If that's the case, then why do the heroes of their games dress in the same color schemes as the villains?

>As you mature as a Gamer/GM, you move towards different setting and take inspiration from new things they have seen/read, they realize that grittyness is pretty cool.
Interesting. Would you say that you easily adjusted to using a toilet as a child?

It's a result of current television trends, popularized by shit like GoT and Vikings, contrary to the fact that shit in the novels people wear incredibly gaudy shit all the time, like helmets with huge stag antlers or red enameled armor made to look like exposed muscle.

Vikings is just a cash-in on that "grim-dark" aesthetic, which has in-turn corrupted popular perception on what fantasy settings look like. Personally, I like the middle ground The Witcher manages to find. The world is still grim and edgy a lot of the time, but manages to throw splashes of color and real, genuinely decent people in there between killing 10 drowners and exercising abortion ghosts.

I'm suggesting that to the equal extent to which I suggest game developers are anti-Christians who try to delegitimize the technological advancements of the middle ages and the importance of the church in laying the foundations of the scientific revolution.

Of course game devs don't actively hold these views, ya dip. They're just products of their time, and often don't go through the effort to research the period well enough to dispell these common myths. In fact, they unintentionally perpetuate them.

>implying
It's just a subset. It's the same dumbasses who prefer BROWN IS MATURE AND GRITTY aesthetics in vidya.

If you want to shitfling about politics, there's a board dedicated for it you niggers.

Yes i did, And i assume you succeeded at adjusting to having a dick in your mouth in your early years.

So mature.

There's a difference between grit and just a shitty life setting.

OP, I'm a fairly prototypical Western consumer of fantasy, and I don't like dirt and shit color schemes. When I think "fantasy", the first image to pop into my head is Waterfall City from Dinotopia, and really just Dinotpia's art in general, since I loved those books so much when I was a kid.

Following that I think of the setting of Caliman from Magic: the Gathering, as my first major independent foray into fantasy was Magic's Portal: Second Age when I was 10. In particular, the Talas (blue) faction, which is all about bright colors.

I also tend to think of deserts, Arabian souks, bright blue and red genies, magic carpets, storytelling as a form of performance art, and the sea, because of Disney's Aladdin coming out around the same time I was reading the Narnia book A Horse and His Boy, as well as an abridged kid's copy of The Arabian Nights that my dad got for me.

Ah, yes, the Liberal Agenda, the new boogeyman ever since the Right realized that the "Gay Agenda" really doesn't have much of a kick seeing as the sole item on it was "let us marry."

Do me a favor: state plainly what you think the end-goal for the Left is. Like, I pretty commonly see statements like "the Left is trying its hardest to eliminate the father from child rearing", but I never really see a statement as to WHY. Like, what do you think we in the Left hope to accomplish by doing that (which, by the way, is not something we're trying to do, but nevermind that).

It is a feedback loop between commercial products and audience.

>Product of one style incidentally sells for whatever reason
>Product is in its entirety closely copied because of risk aversion or poor creativity
>Derivative products form public tastes through exposure, becoming the majority of reference points
>Pandering to real or believed majority taste ensures proliferation of style

*pic for attention, not part of statement

Words of true wisdom

Good. We'll settle on leftism is cancer, I'm right about everything, and expressing any opinion to the left of Mussolini is cringe.

The State thanks you for your submission to my will. It's good to know your place.

Warhammer
Game of Thrones
Vikings
Elder Scrolls, but especially Skyrim
Souls series

What part of did you not understand you brainlet? Just because you contribute to the topic of the thread doesn't give you the right to off topic shitpost as well.

The left doesn't have an agenda, they just have a problem with taking responsibility and an ever expanding list of percieved victims it needs to catter to, to stay popular. If the left had an agenda it's the pursuit of looking like the good guy well beyond the point of what is healthy.

Great, you won, you can stop posting now.

Only the middle three of those fit the description, and two of them are just flat garbage while the entire point of the third is "muh grimdark." Next

seriously? warhammer has incredibly brightly dressed empire soldiers, berttonians in bright colours. cmon bro

>But I LIKE arguing, mom!

But he's right you know

Because I don't want to have bright airiness. It makes the entire conflict seem trivial and non-important. If everything is pastels and color, then it makes the overlord from the warmongering nation seem less dangerous.

>Shit isn't the only color, there's also piss

I like creating worlds full of absolute shittyness piled upon horrible existence. It makes my goody-two-shoes players actions seem even more selfless and let's my "rhombicosidodecahedron" tier edgy players not completely derail the whole campaign.

This need to be grim, in order for there to be heroism.
If everything is JRPG levels of sunshine and rainbows, it's hard to take any threat seriously.

You do realize that your own post completely invalidates the point you're making?

that's not an argument. look up some empire soldiers or brettonian knights, you got btfo

I'm sorry that you piss red

People like to overanalyze shit

Gritty fantasy is simply the "in" thing in the west right now. In a few years, something will come out that shakes everything up, and a different type of fantasy will become mainstream

As for video games, they can't use all of the complex shaders and shit that pre-rendered CG can, so they have this tendency to look very "plastic-ey". Using dull colors is a good way to cheat realism, since it effectively avoids the problem of having to light things

1. People don't identify with glitzy, tacky, garish settings where everything is happy and wonderful: it doesn't resemble the real world at all so the audience can't suspend their disbelief.

2. Historically, that's how things were for people who weren't ultra-wealthy nobles posing for fabulously expensive portraits. Historical accuracy is a cultural trend in the hobby because it's more interesting than "lol wizards did it!"

3. You haven't seen many non-Western settings, have you? They aren't all Final Fantasy (and did you notice how FF7 was pretty grimy?).

4. Wacky, haphazard, non-functional costumes and garish colors with wildly expensive fabric thrown together for no reason are just fucking UGLY. No one would think it was fashionable, not even in a magical realm. Nevermind how impractical it would be to run around with boob windows and cunt-skirts all the time. Basically, chainmail bikinis are such a cliche that it can't even be subverted for legitimate artistic purposes.

I don't like that, at the very least not exclusively.

>and expressing any opinion to the left of Mussolini is cringe

I don't think you actually want to take that stance.

"Race? It is a feeling, not a reality. Ninety-five per cent, at least. Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today.… National pride has no need of the delirium of race."

Mussolini had no time for racism in any practical sense. He bent over backwards to appeal to and court the Libyans under Italy's dominion at the time, referring to them merely as "Muslim Italians", and openly mocked the German idea of racial purity by pointing out that all the Germans who were so invested in it were of mixed race or not even German.

His publication of the "Manifesto of Race" was a purely political move to appease Hitler, as Mussolini needed a strong European ally and Hitler was the only on on the table after Italy invaded Ethiopia. Even after its publication, Jews were largely not discriminated against in Italy, and few Italian Jews ever fell to the Holocaust (and indeed Italian-controlled France was a safe haven for Jews who could reach it).

Mussolini would find the right's general trend towards racism distasteful at best.

It's cute that you think that.

Thats mostly europe where life is shit and petty tribes fight over who's swamp is the best; looking at you germany, france, and itali! The americas are far more into the fantastic.

I miss Erol Otus but people always seem to bitch about anything that artistically emulates that style.

>People don't identify with glitzy, tacky, garish settings where everything is happy and wonderful
>Wacky, haphazard, non-functional costumes and garish colors
Who mentioned those?

>Historically, that's how things were
Ah, you're just an idiot. got it.

Probably because the style is shit

>National pride has no need of the delirium of race."
While I agree with that statement, when you can't fucking beat ethiopia you gotta feed the pride with something, don't you.

Now can you two please stop derailing and fuck off to /pol/

I like it when it's all grim and dark but only during fights or conflicts. And then all the rest is gaudy as fuck, brightly colored, with people having fun, silly music, silly singing.

Are you saying that people regularly ran around in purple velvet costumes that cost literally thousands of dollars in today's value while they tilled their fields?

>Nothing will ever make me believe that biologically pure races can be shown to exist today.…
The absolute state of the amerimutt

>when you can't fucking beat ethiopia

...?

People like a grimy or dirty look, it's like a place and time that's actually lived in.

Do you think I'm saying that? You might need to see a psychiatrist if you do.

That was a quote from Benito Mussolini, arund 1936, if I recall correctly. Try and keep up with the flow of the conversation.

Another one of my favorites (I'm going from memory, so bear with me):

>"Thirty centuries of history allow us to look with supreme pity upon certain doctrines preached beyond the Alps by the descendants of those who were illiterate barbarians when Rome had Caesar and Virgil and Augustus."

The middle ages were not nearly as white and Christian as you seem to believe.

>Mussolini said it so it has to be true

Is there a term for how the middle guy is holding his shield in OP's pic? Where it's strapped to the arm lengthwise

>National pride
>Pride
>Italy

Please

Generally you want to use a limited, mute palette for grimdark. Even then, only Souls are really bleak - Skyrim has lots of greens, yellows and so on. Vikings was described above by someone else. You're generalizing too much.

I posted then in response to user upthread coyly claiming victory unilaterally and stating that any opinion to the left of Mussolini is cringe.

This means that Mussolini's opinions themselves must be taken seriously, since Mussolini can hardly be to the left of himself; he's not a displacer beast.

>Warhammer
stopped reading right there.

>Warhammer
What? Empire is usually black, yellow and red, Dorfs can go anything with their holds, HElfs are mainly white and blue with some red

We're talking about Fascist Italy, user. Please try and keep up.

>any opinion to the left of Mussolini is cringe.
Doesn't imply that any opinion not left of Mussolini isn't cringe. Lrn2 logic if you're going to use it.

Skyrim is pretty bleak.

Look Italy be it fascist or not only belong to high fantasy settings like toon. We're talking grimdark, not comedy

>he's not a displacer beast.
>literally displaced out of the country

Comparing Italian Kangdom and Facist Italy is like comparing Imperial Russia and Soviet Russia.

Ah yes, because seeing the aurora borealis is bleak.

Eh, the soviets were actually competent.
Mussolini got his shit pushed in by a bunch of gr*eks

I prefer the term rustic.

Italians are good at making excuses, it's very sad that's not a war winning skill. Now can you run away faster than you can move the goalpost, this require some testing

Soviets got their shit pushed in by the Finns armed with wooden logs and burning vodka bottles. Real competent.

The aurora borealis is not bleak, but the gray-brown mountains and mud fields it sits on top of are.

That is also appropriate. I'm not assigning a value judgment or anything to the word bleak, but Skyrim is meant to look cold, damp, windy, and muddy, which results in a pretty bleak palette.

And then the Soviet reformed everything, reworked everything and pushed the nazis' shit in.

But if Mussolini is our barometer, I think it's fair to assume that he is such because he's generally seen as a good example of the opinions of the Right; specifically as far to the Left as the Right is willing to go and still consider the opinions seriously.

If Mussolini's opinions can't be taken seriously by the Right, then he shouldn't have been used as an example, QED.

What about in games of Diplomacy? I like playing Italy since Italy can choose to be part of the England/France/Germany triangle or the Austria/Russia/Turkey triangle, which means a skilled Italian player can play all sides.

Only if you recognize the Italian Social Republic as a legitimate nation; or refer to his spirit leaving his body when he was killed.

>Dirt and rock are grey and brown
Well holy shit, I guess real life is bleak.

Tbh, there wasn't even an unified Italy until 1871, and even then the Italian Kingdom was in a way Italian in name only. What we think is Italy these days came a lot later.

>funland loses half it's country permanently.
>"We wuz winners"
>loses continuation war.

This is simplistic. It really depends where and when you are talking about. There were plenty of european peoples in the middle ages that did not have access to strong pigments for cloth dying, etc. Colours were often very temporary, such as reds or purples extracted from beets that faded in days.
Often the issue was also access to knowledge about mordants (agents that fix pigments to cloth so that they don't just wash out or fade). There was a reason that the Florentine cloth dyers guilds were so powerful and exclusive.

I can recommend a book called "A Perfect Red", which is a popular history about red dye if anyone gives a shit. It's very entertaining.

>Soviet union loses Cold war
>"We wuz competent"
>Ceases to exist as a nation

>exercising ghosts
Spooky gains, bro

>Historically, that's how things were for people who weren't ultra-wealthy nobles posing for fabulously expensive portraits. Historical accuracy is a cultural trend in the hobby because it's more interesting than "lol wizards did it!"
You are a fucking idiot. Medieval people, even the poorest members of society, wore a wide range of colours. They were some colours that were not as prevalent (purple was only for nobility, black was rare) but medieval people didn't walk around in mud stained brown clothes.

Additionally, the life of a medieval peasant wasn't doom and gloom. Medieval peasants worked less than your average office worker today, and their work wasn't "backbreaking labour from dawn to dusk" like you think.

And then there was fun every evening for all, and parties every week.

Wrong.

>americans can't win wars
>"We iz military super powers"
>get shot
>hospital asks for tips.

The soviet union won against the finns who lost half their country. The K/D kiddies forget which flag flew over the reichstag. A better example for you would be afghanistan.

Some colors were outright banned from certain social classes as were some other things that seem arbitary these days, but made sense back then like the size of the bed you were allowed to own.

disease every decade followed by repopulation drives.

>Warhammer
is bright and gaudy as fuck

the empire wear striking colours and stupid pants and hats, the chaos warriors have enough spikes on them to function as hedgehogs, the elves color-code themselves

also not realistic

>Elder Scrolls
Im not an expert on this, but its not exactly "dull" either- you have plenty of bright colors both in paint and cloth, and lots of stupid armor, although naturally the realism is also lacking

>souls
is a dark-fantasy setting about everything dying and becoming said shitty brown and grey- which is why you have so many faded colors, once again not realistic in the slightest

>GoT
the show has plenty of bright colors/designs (lannisters) and the ones that arent are those colors for heraldry reasons

you know, a world existed outside of europe.

>Glamorizing peasantry
I can get saying that things like driot de seigneur wasn't something common, but why do you want to think being a peasant was great?

It's not that diversely saturated - you can't have lots of colors on a snow landscape. candb.com/site/candb/cache/artwork/1600/encounter_skyrim_bethesda2_1600x1171_marked.jpg
You can't have lots of colors in many north biomes is my guess. Riften area, however, has variously colored swamps, conifer forests, steam geysers iirc. What mods did is turn the saturation up.

Empire is just Landsknecht, who were also stupidly gaudy