Why is Bane so criminally underused in the D&D mythos?

Why is Bane so criminally underused in the D&D mythos?

Have you ever played a character with Bane as his or her chosen deity?

>Large immortal Humanoid
He's a big guy

>Why is Bane so criminally underused in the D&D mythos?
He doesn't get to bring followers.

He's too busy with his side projects to appear in D&D

Dawn War Bane or Forgotten Realms Bane?

>No!

You knew what was gonna happen making this thread. Don't try to lie to me.
Now you'll stay in it. And when your thread is in ashes, then you'll have my permission to die.

>I'm crushing this foe with fist of spite

Because Dawn War Bane is the only non-lame iteration of Bane.

I played a Lawful Evil Warlord of Bane in 4e. Basically, doing everything I could to encourage glorious combat and drive nations to war.

pg 25 for relevent lore, some really good stuff, really want to run a guy from the green river bend town.

Bane?

His 4e commandments were ironically very Batman-like:

>Never allow your fear to gain mastery over you, but drive it into the hearts of your foes.
>Punish insubordination and disorder.
>Hone your combat skills to perfection, whether you are a mighty general or a lone mercenary.

I like Bane because he's one of the capital E Evil gods you can still imagine non-Evil people following.

>Gruumsh, also known as Gruumsh One-Eye, is the patron deity of orcs, who regard him as the god of Conquest, Survival, Strength, and Territory.

>Gruumsh's divine realm is the Iron Fortress on the plane of Nishrek. In the standard cosmology represented by the Greyhawk and Planescape campaign settings, Nishrek is a part of Acheron, while in the Forgotten Realms cosmology this is a plane of its own.

>Nishrek was once an independent realm in the Astral Sea. After the rise of Bane in the realm of Chernoggar, Gruumsh used all of his power to throw his entire realm (literally) at him. Bane was able to stop Nishrek from crushing him only by fusing both realms together. The force of the impact sent the two realms spinning through the Astral Sea and to this day they fly recklessly through the plane as the forces of Bane and Gruumsh fight an eternal war.

So could you say they were... crashing this plane?

Because Bane is a really fucking boring god who only exists so that generic evil NPC priests would have somebody generically evil to worship.

Yes actually. She was a bitch.

He got himself caught.

What edition was this? The stat block is so ugly.

That's 4e.

You're thinking of the FR version. The god in the OP is technically a different guy who they did give a personality: he's the champion of the pantheon and resents that this doesn't also make him king of the gods.

Their flavorless evil god was Zehir instead, who hilariously didn't even get to hold onto the allegiance of the snake people. The only yuan-ti ever given specific details worked for Torog instead.

Bane is a fixture and originates from the Forgotten Realms setting as one of the major evil deities, designed by Ed Greenwood as the primary threat more or less.

You might not have noticed, but some folks on here have strong feelings about playing in Forgotten Realms.

But his brothers are quite loyal.

I used to be one of those people, but honestly FR is underrated. Just skip the novelisation shit and Greenwood's fave NPCs (who are definitely inferior to Gygax's freakish coterie of wizards in Greyhawk) and embrace the weird corners of it.

When I DM D&D now I just mix up all the shit I like from all the different published settings and role with that. A good chunk ends up being FR, so I had to reconsider what I thought of it.

Bane? What a wimp!

*Praises Talos and knocks over a fruit cart*

Except he also was worked into a completely different thing in the Points of Light setting as well. Now, true, they probably should have renamed him, just like they probably should have renamed Nerull, simply because it makes things complicated when you gotta talk about Faerun Bane vs. Nentir Vale Bane.

Tell me about Bane.

FR is overrated by anyone who rates it higher than "the dumpster is too good for this shit." There's way too many mary sue NPCs just wandering about, a ton of the PrCs are just straight up broken, pretty much every feat used by a busted thought experiment build comes from FR, and even the base history of the world sounds like a 6 year old's attempt at writing a story after binging on DBZ.

The only thing half-worth scavenging from FR is the enormous pile of local maps.

Yeah, Dawn War/PoL Bane is a completely different deity with some small areas of overlap with FR Bane.

Honestly the deity DW/PoL Bane most strongly resembles is Ares.

Yeah, if they'd stuck with his name being Achra - or something better than that, at least - he'd probably get more of the recognition he deserves.

uuuu