Well I finally managed to buy a set of these...

Well I finally managed to buy a set of these, and here's my very first paint job ever! It's sloppy and the paint is uneven, but I had a lot of fun working on these tiny dudes. I'll definitely buy another set when I can, though I don't know exactly what. Any suggestions?

Glad you're having fun man

>Any suggestions?

Is there anything in particular you're interested in? Are you looking at assembling an army or just buying things that are fun to paint?

I honestly wouldn't mind assembling a small army of sorts. Still new to the lore of 40K, but I doubt I will be once I start looking for new sets to paint.

Here was my first, OP!

My suggestions would be to brush up on some tutorials, maybe watch painting videos, it's how I learned before I started painting

Well, are there any specific channels or websites you'd recommend?

Nothing specific, I mostly just went on youtube and looked up "40k ork painting tutorial" Also going to the WIP thread was a huge help as I was preparing

Congrats dude! Welcome to the fine, fun art of painting minis.

As for suggestions, I might reccomend trying out some Reaper Bones as painting practice, since you don't have to prime them and they're pretty cheap. Otherwise, I'd definitely say check out some tutorials, /wip/ has a ton of them.

A piece of advice for the uneven paint though: before you paint your dude, prime it. I like to use dark colors like a nice dark blue or black, cover the whole mini, and then let it dry. That way when you paint on top of it anything you miss will look a lot more like shadow, and it's also a lot easier to notice if you've missed a spot.

Good luck user!

>I honestly wouldn't mind assembling a small army of sorts.

Then next step is to look at armies, you've got various flavours of Space Marine, Eldar, Orks, Tyranids, etc etc

I'd consider a smaller model army though to start, a little easier on the wallet and means you can get into playing and not burn yourself out on painting

>Well, are there any specific channels or websites you'd recommend?

Follow the road of brother duncan

I thought I had more tutorials, sorry.

Also, to show how fast you can improve, these were literally my second works after that first one, a week later, about three days of work. It's all about research and practice!

Looks awesome user, ignore the haters! Check out my space wolves here, I just finished working on them!

My first ever minis were these Tau. Why I chose the hardest fucking color to do, I don't know.

brings a tear to my eye, being the 2018 version of my old color scheme before my army was gone

Prime your model ALWAYS

Thin your paint

Base your model

Those 3 points are MANDATORY
After that:

Paint details if you can (like eyes)

For additional details, start by drybrushing with a lighter colour

After that, check some Duncan's video on Warhammer TV: those are great for beginners

Have fun! Painting and modelling are the most rewarding part of the hobbies

my first

always prime. get some spray primer in a neutral color, chaos black or whatever if you don't use citadel. not only will it make your paintjobs better, but paint doesn't adhere well to bare plastic so that model will scuff when handled too much

improve ya stance. best way to paint is sitting up straight with both elbows on the table and hands together at the wrists. you'll want a hobby lamp to see properly, with an adjustable stand

thin ya paints. it looks like you did a little? hard to tell what's no primer and what's thick paint. better too thin than too thick, you can always just correct any mistakes

don't know 40k enough to know if that's a snap-together model, but space marines are a lot easier to paint if you paint them before you stick the arms on. especially the aquila

next step is shade and wash. even if you don't bother to highlight, shades are liquid skill

>splatjob paintjob

you're a funny guy, i will kill you last.

Here's my first

the best way to get better like anything is with practice

Given what you've shown us I guess anything would look awesome to you :^)

this is my first model i put together. (excuse the shitty quality, it was made with a pretty old phone camera)

Go to the /wip/ thread